S22 tips, mods, suspension settings, tire pressure, etc. Share your experiences!

UniVehje

10 hours ago, Mac said:

Man o man I’ve used the Pirelli Angel on my S-18 and now on my S-22. I was riding in Spokane Washington in the snow and ice. Sticks like glue. Off road the only place it doesn’t work is in mud or deep sand. 
Now I’m in Austin Texas mostly riding my S-22. Works great as a tubeless which gives me a smoother ride. I ride 90% on the streets and dry trail’s now in Austin. It’s very nimble which the knobby was not. 
Has anyone noticed the difference with the new firmware update? Seems to take off much faster and a lot easier to reach top speed or is just me?

What is the "new firmware"? And what did you update from? Also do you have an ewheels 50T model? Or the original battery capacity model?

• 3 weeks later...

My solution to the sharp, painful battery case lip - I used an extra set of Begode MCM5v2 side pads I received from eWheels. They work great for this purpose, and they are relatively inexpensive.

image.thumb.png.92e14893c0bfab31fc8188de8a852edf.png

S22BatteryPads.jpeg

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Maintenance mode.

So I felt there was some stiction in my suspension on the S22 and I suspected it could be the bearings in the link-arm since I knew that my brand new sliders we're working well, I had new spare bearings already, they are 10x19x5mm 2RS and you need 10 of them in total if you want to swap them all.

Disassembly of the link-arm is pretty easy and straight forward so I won't go into details.

The bearings though, oh boy those are really hard to get out!

After some research how to get bearings out I ordered this kit from Amazon thinking it might work good for this application and a good kit to have for the future, really you only need a couple of the pieces in here but buying them separately is more expensive than buying this whole box which wasn't that expensive:

BearingsTool.thumb.jpg.49635d429e1e94512439ef2bef767c64.jpg

That worked for the single bearings that are in the bottom link-lugs, those bearings where also the main culprit, one of them was rusted and completely seized:

Bearings1.thumb.jpg.dd71b3d2381233c4bfe9ee6609573436.jpg

Next up was the ones in the link arm themselves, these are tricky as there's two bearings in a row and there's tiny gap to work with, they are really hard to get out:

Bearings0.jpg.6a796eaea3e5cd9c30ef27b2c533b34d.jpg

My tool kit didn't work at all for this, the bearings wouldn't budge, maybe if I had a good vice to fit the arms in but I'm doing all of this on the floor in my apartment.

So after some discussions on Telegram I got some tips and managed to get one pair out with this DIY method of using a 19mm socket, a M6 80mm PZ screw (the head being exactly 11MM which is low enough to get in to the hole but big enough to grab onto the bearing this is important) an M6 nut and a big 35mm spacer:

Bearings2.thumb.jpg.646a4288da9845dcd2bfba58d7933728.jpg

The rest of the bearings I couldn't get out, the head of the screw was too soft and the edges of the head actually folded upward and the screw went right through, same result with 2 screws then I ran out of screws, I didn't try heat maybe that would have helped.

So basically I swapped 4 of the bearings before giving up, however the change in my suspension was very noticeable it's much smoother now, I suspect the one siezed bearing was the major culprit as the other bearings were working OK (not perfect but good enough). I sprayed some Corrosion X on all of the bearings for protection since the S22 is my winter wheel and we have a lot of salt here on the paths making things worse.

I will try this again in the future so I ordered some new tools from Amazon that resembles the DIY method more and will do another attempt at another time using this kit and some heat:

image.png.969091766f2b614016842fefb6a7e51e.png

At this point in time I regret buying that huge blue box, it wasn't expensive but it's big and it will go collect dust in the cellar. 😅

• Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

this forum always costing me money. i was all content with my incoming real s22 pro and my michelin pilot street 2 80/90-14 ready to mount, and now i see a member or members mounted a michelin pilot street 2 90/90-14.

so since this is gonna be my light duty off ranch running errands transportation, and i suck at mounting, because i hate to practice, i'm thinking the 90 will be easier to freemount. and the 80/90 i have won't fit the s18, although they make a 70/90 40s that probably would.

spend that money! 

36 minutes ago, novazeus said:

now i see a member or members mounted a michelin pilot street 2 90/90-14.

But don't you have to forgo the fender. The sliders are completely open already. Without a fender, things can get a lot worse.

The fender hugs the stock tire quite close already.

A 90/90-14 is a big tire.

How do you figure a 90/90-14 tire would help in freemount. For myself, I find that technique is more important.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, techyiam said:

But don't you have to forgo the fender. The sliders are completely open already. Without a fender, things can get a lot worse.

The fender hugs the stock tire quite close already.

A 90/90-14 is a big tire.

How do you figure a 90/90-14 tire would help in free mount. For myself, I find technique is more important.

wider tire. the 80/90 is a bitch to balance on as opposed to the stock knobby on the s22 or the v13. idk about removing the fender, nobody mentioned that. 

yeah, just went outside and measured, i think it will fit. kinda more excited now having two similar but different wheels. 

here's mine with the 80/90.

yeah, i agree with u about technique, but the same principle of telling noobs to flatten their tires to make it easier to learn, is just a little extra help. when i first got the v13 with the 80/90 michelin, i was like arte johnson from laugh in, everytime i'd stop, i'd fall over. incredibly hard to ride a michelin pilot street 2 inflated to max pressure. this went on for about a month. now i can stop and leisurely put my foot down but my right ankle is the busted one and that is a long step down. i pretty much agree with wrongways comments or reviews. the s22 is waaaaay easier to mount. the v13's with the stock knobby might be ok too. 

and btw, nothing at all wrong with lowering the tire pressure on dirt, i plan on doing that myself. but before riding on pavement, i'll re-inflate my tires, same as i would my jeep. soil has give, pavement, not so much. 

the v13 was named "challenger" for a reason. if u can ride it on my pasture terrain, everything else will be cake.

BB5B5E7E-62C1-4DEB-B774-5DA568C357CD.jpeg.5191ce139fc2365feb077e3927e8c986.jpeg

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 4:18 AM, Rawnei said:

Maintenance mode.

So I felt there was some stiction in my suspension on the S22 and I suspected it could be the bearings in the link-arm since I knew that my brand new sliders we're working well, I had new spare bearings already, they are 10x19x5mm 2RS and you need 10 of them in total if you want to swap them all.

Disassembly of the link-arm is pretty easy and straight forward so I won't go into details.

The bearings though, oh boy those are really hard to get out!

After some research how to get bearings out I ordered this kit from Amazon thinking it might work good for this application and a good kit to have for the future, really you only need a couple of the pieces in here but buying them separately is more expensive than buying this whole box which wasn't that expensive:

BearingsTool.thumb.jpg.49635d429e1e94512439ef2bef767c64.jpg

That worked for the single bearings that are in the bottom link-lugs, those bearings where also the main culprit, one of them was rusted and completely seized:

Bearings1.thumb.jpg.dd71b3d2381233c4bfe9ee6609573436.jpg

Next up was the ones in the link arm themselves, these are tricky as there's two bearings in a row and there's tiny gap to work with, they are really hard to get out:

Bearings0.jpg.6a796eaea3e5cd9c30ef27b2c533b34d.jpg

My tool kit didn't work at all for this, the bearings wouldn't budge, maybe if I had a good vice to fit the arms in but I'm doing all of this on the floor in my apartment.

So after some discussions on Telegram I got some tips and managed to get one pair out with this DIY method of using a 19mm socket, a M6 80mm PZ screw (the head being exactly 11MM which is low enough to get in to the hole but big enough to grab onto the bearing this is important) an M6 nut and a big 35mm spacer:

Bearings2.thumb.jpg.646a4288da9845dcd2bfba58d7933728.jpg

The rest of the bearings I couldn't get out, the head of the screw was too soft and the edges of the head actually folded upward and the screw went right through, same result with 2 screws then I ran out of screws, I didn't try heat maybe that would have helped.

So basically I swapped 4 of the bearings before giving up, however the change in my suspension was very noticeable it's much smoother now, I suspect the one siezed bearing was the major culprit as the other bearings were working OK (not perfect but good enough). I sprayed some Corrosion X on all of the bearings for protection since the S22 is my winter wheel and we have a lot of salt here on the paths making things worse.

I will try this again in the future so I ordered some new tools from Amazon that resembles the DIY method more and will do another attempt at another time using this kit and some heat:

At this point in time I regret buying that huge blue box, it wasn't expensive but it's big and it will go collect dust in the cellar. 😅

back when i was building rc helis i used heat/cold method on dissimilar metals for bearing removal.

maybe leave them in the sun and then float an ice cube on the bearing.

freeze one part, heat the other. not sure how i'd do this though. if it wasn't a pita i'd go ahead and change them to high quality sealed bearings and be done with it. 

i think ur right though, they don't do much movement, not like inline skate bearings, or heli bearings, these are more like bushings in this application. but a seized bearing is another story.

On 12/2/2023 at 10:18 AM, Rawnei said:

To follow up on this, the kit above did work well, I got all the bearings out, glad I had many spares though because you can easily break the new ones pushing them in.

After all bearings were swapped suspension was much smoother.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

idk about removing the fender, nobody mentioned that. 

yeah, just went outside and measured, i think it will fit. kinda more excited now having two similar but different wheels. 

here's mine with the 80/90.

Perhaps the size of your S22 fender is different. Additionally, I don't have a S22 Pro. Maybe the size of the fender on the S22 Pro is different.

I measured the inside width of the fender of my S22 to be just shy of 90 mm. The stock tire overall diameter is just a hair larger than 20".

(1) 90/90-14:  Overall diameter = 90mm x 0.9 x 2 + 14" = 20.4"

With the fender on, the tire will make contact with the fender on my S22.

(2) 80/90-14.  Overall diameter = 80mm x 0.9 x 2 + 14" = 19.7"

Stock tire has a larger diameter. In looking at your picture. It looks right. With 80/90-14, the sidewall of the tire barely reach the inside of the fender.

Not so with 90/90-14. 

You may want reach out to one of the guys who have done it and ask whether the fender needed to be removed.

If you go back through some of the very early posts in this topic, multiple S22 owners have fitted various tyres in 90/90-14 sizing with ZERO issues regarding the fender making contact, or needing to be removed. Michelin City Grip 2 (which only comes in this sizing) being a very popular fitment, along with the Michelin Pilot Street 2, Continental Contiscoot etc.  When Jack was still working for King Song, he mentioned them trying even wider tyre fitments than this, after major complaints with the S18 not having enough clearance for many aftermarket options! Have no fear fitting ANY 90/90-14 on the S22/S22 Pro with it's class leading 100mm clearance between battery boxes. Photos of the Michelin City Grip 2 is shown fitted in one of these posts from Franco on Telegram, for reference: 

Edited by fbhb
  • Thanks 1

yes thanks for that. and francos city grip tire looks great on the s22.

his photo. or copied and pasted from that thread. the city grip 2 looks perfect for rainy/wet conditions. 

looks awesome. how does it ride for him?

City Grip 2 installed

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

this guy.

Thanks. The fender looks to be on.

Looking at the photos, it appears the actual mounted dimensions are less than the spec'd size of 90/90-14.

Good to know.

That's perfect. It appears to be only slightly larger than the stock tire so the fender can stay on, and it's scooter/motorcycle tire.

Edited by techyiam

my actual king song s22 pro came today. 7-16-23 build, just like chapeux, but according to jason's website, i think we have the gen 4 motor. it's a gf.

the 90 width tire should fit no problem. gonna be fun modding this new wheel from scratch, making it the way i want it. no hurry putting it on the road. it's so new and clean, it will only be driven on sundays. it is gonna be my easiest to ride wheel. v13's and s18 sure aren't. stepping off the v13's i almost get a groin pull. i'll get there. 

oh yeah, the trolley handle actually stays in place up or down! gotta figure out how they fixed that.

girlfriend motor

C3CDF00D-46B4-4C3B-8192-F4E49BF83C91.thumb.jpeg.e18960b0c9959dade9cb68c318d9cff0.jpeg

stainless wirewrap

FA6880AD-7DEE-4DFE-BFAF-3C470ED35D57.thumb.jpeg.6a8bdbb0ceceab0e3a18a1a7eff19d43.jpeg

best adjustable pedals on the market(still have to move them down and forward)

297B02D5-A9F1-4244-9340-58197FE008E1.thumb.jpeg.4457bb027c2d3cca383acf9bb4e21011.jpeg

and no humans out here, so these are my favorite headlights. nice new knobby for my archives.

FE2FA759-FE88-4010-8529-627E03E2322E.thumb.jpeg.daf65191d148beacd975f4440f273b6c.jpeg

just like his. exact same build date. and we ride about the same. haha!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, novazeus said:

my actual king song s22 pro came today. 7-16-23 build, just like chapeux, but according to jason's website, i think we have the gen 4 motor. it's a gf.

Nice wheel to add to your stable. I'm jealous. :) 

This sounds like how the S20 should have been. If it did, it would have sold like hot cakes.

Over on this side of the border, the S22 Pro is also discounted during Boxing Week Sale. Not sure whether they are shipping out the latest batch though.

It's tempting. But I am going practice self-restraint, and wait it out for the next one.

If you don't mind, can you check your BMS Info using the Inmotion App?

What are the voltages of each battery pack? And what are the highest and lowest cell voltages for each pack after being fully charged?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Nice wheel to add to your stable. I'm jealous. :) 

This sounds like how the S20 should have been. If it did, it would have sold like hot cakes.

Over on this side of the border, the S22 Pro is also discounted during Boxing Week Sale. Not sure whether they are shipping out the latest batch though.

It's tempting. But I am going practice self-restraint, and wait it out for the next one.

If you don't mind, can you check your BMS Info using the Inmotion App?

What are the voltages of each battery pack? And what are the highest and lowest cell voltages for each pack after being fully charged?

i'm getting there. 

taking forever to charge from 30% to green light but looking good. i feel like an expectant father giving birth to a new wheel. all vitals looking great so far.

probably burn down the container tn since i said that.

i'm gonna bring my old s22 diy pro in tmrw and just go over both of them for any changes. 

$2500 is a great buy for this wheel considering i paid probably close to $2k for a 9bz10 in 2018 or 19 when they came out. 

as soon as the light turns green, i'll post the results but i know it's better than my first one already.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i'm gonna check the wheel in a minute and see if they all balanced out 4.2 or less.

Wow! Even not fully balanced, the battery packs look really well balanced. I am happy to see Kingsong has made improvements on their battery packs. Really good to see.

Thanks for posting the results.

• Like 1

here's the last before bedtime. seems like a good one. 

oh yeah, had me do a firmware or app update. check ur version.

batteries settled down. all in all, 100% better than my first one. 

7C886373-4262-49FD-8563-5B7997869FB1.thumb.png.b9eae5d9c0240588c3733ec2f4c8549d.png

95C6ABBC-9050-4419-B5F9-1E6C2F028605.thumb.png.5829dbbc33003aa8b8c8905eba42c0ca.png

774422D1-391E-4976-97F5-5FCE7C49B4DC.thumb.png.0b7c69d2cfd5ce658dbbebcbca6e41a1.png

info about charging. nice charger. read the instructions.

DF2E4F78-B046-4C8E-AC77-6E8FE8415F83.thumb.jpeg.89f0deaaa8fb654977ff62fea8fcf557.jpeg

6998534E-40DB-41D8-8591-D294FBD24836.thumb.jpeg.3433ae4c120a26ca98ce53e4712bebdf.jpeg

• Like 1

def the best battery packs i've ever received from king song. that's after sitting overnight. actually, my s18 molicels were fine as well, but woo woo, after my first one, and it's inside with me now. gonna see if it needs software updating or will charge like this new one with this new charger. i mean, u never know with these things. 

i've only put a few miles on my diy s22 pro, but because it is easy to disassemble and inspect, i want to see if this graphite lubricant, which is like spray paint, held up and did any good before applying to this new one. there's a method to my madness. 

kinda fun i have 3 different motors now for comparison. i like taking things apart. might have to peek inside that first 3300 watt motor and educate myself.

a manufacturer isn't gonna build u ur perfect wheel, my philosophy is find one close to ur needs and make it ur own, same as rc helis. same as golf clubs. same as houses. i built custom homes, totally different than ur normal house. 

the trolley handle being correct is huge! i gotta figure out the fix. one def advantage of the s22, it will fit thru Bob's giant doggy door. there is a gate into the compound but heavy and a pita, and other ways into here, but doggy door is the shortest. 

a shout out to studio amg, there is a small cosmetic dent looking anomaly on the trolley handle and i thought king song might replace it, but studio amg just offered a refund of $25 so i can buy the replacement part. good communication and good prices. i bought my s18 molicel from them last december for $1699 and paid $2500 for this new pro. with great batteries hopefully. 

logo embossing on the handle is different as well, as if anybody cares. 

btw, i let the charger run until it turned green last night, for the first charge. but since i'm offgrid and have to generate my own electrons out here, i'm very stingy with them. i'm not trying to preserve the batteries, i want to conserve energy, be it solar, gas or wind. monitoring my electrons last night, once the app shows 100% on each pack, ur basically done and should unplug to conserve electrons and batteries too probably. it ran an 1.5 hours and added very little after 100% soc. 

14610EA6-4A5D-4A74-BF4F-A6CAEA7786F6.thumb.png.a55691ccd393105c46b5b49137eb1c67.png

FAF9A9AF-27EF-4943-B7F7-DBAD413EB59D.thumb.png.e8eb624db78a89cbaceaeabdf113075d.png

E9150291-9218-4B6F-BC24-DC1A2BCFF5BA.thumb.png.68683316fdb241260f1515d28013e725.png

B8911F81-48F8-40BD-B1BC-20433D0DFBF5.thumb.png.19f5094476aeee28a4909164c6241190.png

charger info.

9DB15870-2875-4680-8CE7-CAB00EB9BDAC.thumb.jpeg.afbe37ac904fa515106d6728c83b2d08.jpeg

this knurled head on this linkage bolt is new. so it would appear king song is paying attention.

9BD0C905-7A36-4A91-8E76-6421CB115AD6.thumb.jpeg.d892d94b624877ff6ec8bb74df300d33.jpeg

8461CE72-139E-4BCD-9F8E-F52949D540E6.thumb.jpeg.b3ce9118cede1d586ecc7861c5cdc865.jpeg

B836D8FB-EB68-43F3-8A38-A389BD16F4E2.jpeg

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

this is the s22 diy pro that never balanced.

btw, the error messages went away. 

so yeah, marty is probably correct about the charger not being set right but my attorneys would never allow me to tell a human to touch a potentiometer. 

342721D4-C27B-4A96-8A8B-E40BBA1325F6.thumb.png.2d952342e351d8e9ceb32bbb69548f04.png

5F872AA1-F490-4DB6-93D6-B8D7DF832422.thumb.png.e9d4665f4ed1752076dc070d9f42d4e2.png

21176E13-14CB-4B70-B494-B5BF25DF4B91.thumb.png.f08a740f04c94b7223e8190627c79fe7.png

D6FB5BBA-C44F-4209-977B-E9CCF932607D.thumb.png.67eaa1e28a13a0af0cca4a206cdf1302.png

and yes marty would def love this old s22 at 126.5 volts.

075BD682-A2BD-404B-8A49-C94CD7EA0E1B.thumb.png.0bf4319b7e72f6d7a96f7ca1bb086b8c.png

i think what is suppose to happen is when the cells go above 4.2 too much, they kick into 'equilibrium" and stop charging, but all the others continue to charge. very cool and sophisticated.

this is after a while after charging, still in equlibrium mode.

30134E86-29B9-40BC-8773-CCC5E7C3BBBB.thumb.png.26e811292ae2ac85413dafbb27851bc6.png

it will be interesting to see what this charger does next time i let it run to green.

Edited by novazeus
fixed it

idk if i have a wheel addiction problem but i definitely am obsessed with michelin tires.

just ordered a michelin 90/90-14 city grip 2 from amazon for $77. 

i figure before i put the 90/90-14 pilot street 2 that hasn't arrived yet on the new one, i had better at least examine this new expensive tire. 

i'm thinking once i get the s22 pro+ 50s version, i'll have 3 different michelin street tires to choose from for riding.  

silly me for thinking tire tread, tire compound, tire profile, tubeless, width, diameter, rolling resistance and psi would make such a difference on an electric unicycle.