S22 tips, mods, suspension settings, tire pressure, etc. Share your experiences!

UniVehje

56 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

And you’re lucky if you don’t get electrocuted by the wheel like me. 

My God, if the S22 is not a lemon, then I don't know what is.

Kingsong should sell the S22 as a kit, like a Kit car. Something the owner needs to spend time to finish the build.

• Like 1

I can not even budge the damn 750... I need the 300/350 lb spring now... It is so bazaar that they would even have the 750 in the first place!!! What is the average Chinese person weigh??? 

Too bad all the influencers that had the wheel for free for the last year riding over 1000 km, only claim praise how great the wheel was instead talking about the actual construction of the wheel and what should be improved... 

I swear to God they actually avoided talking about the slide issue the whole damn time, they had it... 

Edited by MetricUSA
  • Upvote 1

Agree with @Rawnei, @MetricUSA

Unless you are a small and light person, 300 lbs will be way too little on the S22. It will result in too much sag and bottoming out easily once you get fully functioning sliders/rollers.

It's fair to say that the 3D printed solution is still in testing at the moment, although already usable. CNC solutions will become more popular as well thanks to price going down vis volume manufacturing. I see the current suspension drawbacks as temporary: there's immense room for improvement and when it works, it's very good.

So, what's your weight and what kind of riding do you plan to do?

Edited by supercurio

The damn wheel is only TWO DAYS OLD

Reitze01 on YouTube is heavier than me and has no problem with 350 lb spring on his s22... 

55 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

If you can't budge it the problem isn't the spring it's the sliders, most likely dirt in there that together with the rubber parts is just clogging and stopping the whole system.

Edited by MetricUSA

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

The damn wheel is only TWO DAYS OLD

Yes, the stock suspension is working for some, not really for others

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

Reitze01 on YouTube is heavier than me and has no problem with 350 lb spring on his s22... 

Both @Rawnei and I are speaking in the context of an upgrade from stock sliders to rollers, having experience with both existing implementations of that.

It's because it seems clear that you won't be satisfied with the stock setup, even if some fiddling like aligning the sliding blocks might help.

In the Telegram group where many shared their experience, we've seen several who swapped back to the 750lbs spring after a suspension upgrade. Essentially trying to save you from buying a spring that'll be clearly too soft for your weight and won't perform for you once you inevitably get a rollers upgrade.

You didn't share your weight or riding style for recommendations yet?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

looks pretty damn good to me 🤣 nice and bouncy 

Obviously planted by KS to distract us from all of the S22 issues. You can't fool me KS! Well, maybe for a few seconds, but I am back and focused LOL.

• Haha 2

On 9/22/2022 at 10:11 PM, Tawpie said:

Did you try the "align the plastic blocks" technique? Loosen the 4 plastic things a bit, insert wheel into the battery boxes to get things lined up. Very carefully pull it back out until you can get to the bottom one's screw, tighten it up. Pull out a bit more (careful) then tighten the top one. Flip the wheel, reinsert and withdraw+tighten on that side. I would even flip it again, loosen the first side then slide in to get it positioned, and do the tighten routine.

Some folks have left the plastic block screws a bit loose so the plastic can self adjust. Screws don't seem to back out, but blue locktite wouldn't hurt.

It supposedly works pretty well (in the way back scroll of telegram), I doubt it'll do much about squeaking though.

What are you using for dry lube?

We tried leaving them slightly loose hoping they would allign, but it didn't help much.

We used graphite dry lube, and I think ptfe dry lube.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 11:24 AM, Rawnei said:

I disagree with this though, if you are sure the motor is July+ (fixed motors) and have access to replacement sliders (3D print or CNC) then this wheel is fantastic, I'm way more happy with the S22 than the Master. I do understand your sentiment though with the problems you (and others) have been having but many wheels have problems, my Master (any many others with a master) feels "loose" and have play back and forward in the whole wheel which is very uncomfortable and no 100% fix is currently available for that.

You’re correct. I should add that as a DIY project and if the motor is ok, the wheel is very nice. And with a tire change, of course. And with some 3D printed parts it can even be comfortable. Thanks for your design, by the way. 🙏 

It has many parts that are well made. It’ll become one of the most recommendable wheel soon. I really liked riding it when it worked and very much looking forward to get it back and tuned next week. I can then test again sag and feel with the 300 lbs coil I have. I think it’s too soft with good sliders. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

If you lowered it, what affects will it have?!! 

It changes the suspension geometry some, I understand it's more compliant over the small stuff. Might be a 'street' setting? IIRC WrongWay actually liked the suspension once he lowered it a notch. That was a stock suspension with the grease but before he rode in the dust and turned the grease to glue. He also preferred riding it backwards.

On 9/25/2022 at 8:33 PM, UniVehje said:

It has many parts that are well made. It’ll become one of the most recommendable wheel soon. I really liked riding it when it worked and very much looking forward to get it back and tuned next week. I can then test again sag and feel with the 300 lbs coil I have. I think it’s too soft with good sliders. 

Thanks for the feedback!
So with good sliders, what would be the right coil in your opinion (and your weight?)

4 minutes ago, SamSuffit said:

Thanks for the feedback!
So with good sliders, what would be the right coil in your opinion (and your weight?)

When sliders are fixed it's best to start with the stock coil go from there and see if you need a lighter one to begin with, guessing coils before that is kinda pointless. :)

• Upvote 2

I found these 13 mm wheels that can possibly be used as rollers in the sliders, too bad they are not 19-23 mm wheels... 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/590740371/pack-of-143-steel-wheels-with-tires-for

Here is a 23 mm roller

https://www.amazon.com/HaiWess-Rollers-Diameter-Bathroom-Sliding

Why can we not use this drawer slide on the wheel???

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HXKNL3Y

i am going to cut the top power pad in half and remove about 5 cm from the center. I can not touch the back of pad to help slow the wheel down.... 

Edited by MetricUSA

5 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Finally back to riding after almost 7 weeks and many nights of work. Roller sliders printed and installed. Yesterday I did a test ride with the original coil. A huge improvement! Well worth the effort. This is how it should have worked from the factory. 

Just had a go with my 300 lbs coil on this setup. Sag seems to be about 30 %. Feels supple and strong enough for these gravel roads. Wouldn’t go lower, but I’ll leave it in. Better than the 750. On softest setting I can bottom it out if I jump on it strongly. Never bottomed while riding even on biggest potholes. Maybe a bit more support would be better. Riding weight 75 kg. Softest and fastest settings felt good. Still feel like the sliders need to set in or some other extra resistance is present. The 300 lbs reveals imperfections better. With perfect sliders I would need to go up in lbs or maybe just turning the knob to harder would be enough. At least it has a function now.

I’ve previously lowered the riding height by one step. With the 300 lbs the bigger sag makes me ride quite low. Next I’m going to test in on the stock height. 

Yes like night and day, suspension actually working as intended. :)

I guess 300lb is fine if you don't do a lot of extreme things, 600lb feels very good for me jumping in skateparks etc.