Making Begode wheels safer: PWM tiltback with custom firmware

On 4/2/2023 at 3:23 PM, shizz812 said:

Recently upgraded to an EX.N and am very interested in having this custom firmware. @Freestyler, is this still only available by receiving directly from you? Also, I’m iOS so only have stock Begode app and darkness bot. Is it still possible to receive? This is my first post here, so if it’s somewhere completely obvious I apologize in advance. Appreciate anyone’s help!

Only if your exn has the black board that accepts fw updates

23 hours ago, Damarafaka said:

No need to worry about changing firmware, upgrade works flawlessly with EUC World on my V2 Master. Curiously, app installs CF2014903 version of the firmware although I choose latest version CF2014904!

Does the custom firmware automatically detect Master model and install appropriate version? I can still choose GW2014904 from the official firmware option of EUC World.

I have exactly the same "problem". I think that the main problem is that I cannot upgrade from GW2014903 to GW2014904. CF2014903 is based on GW2014903 and CF2014904 is based on FW2014904. I don't know if it is worth it to upgrade the firwmare but as GW2014904 is the unique firmware published on begode store for our version of Master  it seems just sane to think that this is the finalized version of the firwmare for our wheels.

This is frustrating and I wonder if my wheel is a beta-version or there is something  wrong with my wheel or whatever bad thing with a beta firmware version. Not very reassuring...

• Like 1

Not sure the last firmware is always the best. The change from 2014902 to 2014903 was well worth the upgrade, fixing from temperature readings to the forward and back oscillations I was feeling at high speeds. If already happy with performance and improvements, I would not bother with the last one, unless I am missing something. Gotway sometimes comes up with a more "conservative" firmware version to avoid, for example, problems with heavier riders.

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Ha, ha ha! The day Begode supplies us with information like that, one can dream! 😅

Of all the things people ask them to do this is surely one of the easiest for them to sort out, which makes it all the more annoying that they don't do it !

• Upvote 2

Hello! Today I flashed the EX.N C30 through the EUC World. Selected for the firmware version CF2002002 Accelerated stability. But after this all applications still shows version GW2002001. At the same time, the stroboscope is not available, and the headlight flashes at idle spin-up of the wheel. Look likes all correct, except the string with firmware version number. 
Perhaps you have ideas on what to do.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:43 AM, btl said:

Hi,

i have a Master V1 with a replaced Mainboard and Battery connector Board, but still the original 33V Batteries. The set of Display, Battery Board and Mainboard has been sent by Begode and is not a mix and match by me.

The Stock Firmware my Master runs on is GW2014804. When i switch to custom firmware channel, EUC world offers CF2014803, but after flashing this Firmware the wheel keeps beeping. It switches off an on, balances as usual and the light can be turned off and on, too. But it keeps beeping. The same happened when i flashed GW2014803 with the Begode App. *804 seems to have something that *803 lacks or vice versa.

Is there something i can do? Is it a setting in EUC world? Or do i just have to wait for CF2014804 to materialize?

The Morsecode its beeping is "-.    " , so long, short, pause, long, short, pause, repeating.

Greetings,

Stefan

Just for the record, i have put back in the old V1 charge board with hot pins and did manually equal out the voltage of my battery packs ("Roger Charger", aka as "Ulle Charger" in germany). Now that the wheel charges to full 134.4 V again, i installed CF2014803 and my wheel does NOT beep at me as reported on my initial posting. Interesting, strange, but anyway. PWM tiltback finally :-)

Thanks! 

EUC World with PWM/Dynamic Tiltback activated on dashboard!

Big thank you to all the smart people behind the app and the custom firmware making Begode

safer and a pleasure to ride again!

photo_2023-04-06_18-04-22.thumb.jpg.8d2b5bff477b2827a1c28e8f1a998f09.jpg

Edited by Damarafaka
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 9:02 PM, Seba said:

still starts with GW prefix

Thanks for your reply. Now I understand that the firmware went through correctly. For now, I'm just using applications as if I have the default firmware. The values of software and hardware PWM do not differ significantly. And to switch the mode (enable and disable the tiltback) works through a web application euc-dash.

I modified WheelLog for work with GW prefix as CF prefix, I will try configure software PWM calculation more accurate. Otherwise, I hope all is well with Bill.

2023-04-06 19-56-06.JPG

Edited by b1oki
Additional information about issue workaround
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to verify that PWM tiltback is working well for the latest Begode T4 wheels(V2 and up)?

Need to be sure T4 PWM titltback is g2g before I pull the trigger on one...

This firmware is AMAZING on my MCM5V2. Couldn't be happier. 

Edited by GottaWay

On 4/3/2023 at 7:33 PM, Lefteris said:

Only if your exn has the black board that accepts fw updates

Hey I do have the latest version with the black controller. Can you advise how I can receive the custom firmware? 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:36 PM, Freestyler said:

I'm flashing few wheels here and there but it is a very involved procedure.

I don't want to mass distribute firmwares and get Begode angry.

I want them to see the potential in this and implement it themselves.

I've flashed the custom firmware onto my MCM5 v2, which seems to have succeeded.  I can now turn the "Enable Dynamic Tiltback" toggle on, but "Safety Margin Limit" is greyed out and can't be adjusted.  Is this expected?  Here's some photos from the app:

c50nv6l.png

2v7W362.png

T7KsUTX.png

6 minutes ago, cegli said:

I've flashed the custom firmware onto my MCM5 v2, which seems to have succeeded.  I can now turn the "Enable Dynamic Tiltback" toggle on, but "Safety Margin Limit" is greyed out and can't be adjusted.  Is this expected?  Here's some photos from the app:

Have you tried connecting to the wheel using EucDash and setting it?

https://freestyl3r.github.io/euc-dash/begode.html

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cegli said:

c50nv6l.png

2v7W362.png

T7KsUTX.png

I believe only Master has configurable PWM and the wheel now reports the actual PWM over bluetooth instead of an estimation that is why it's greyed out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The MCM5v2 is PWm locked by the CFW as it can't be adjusted live. You can DM him to get a custom limit, but by default it is 70%.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Timwheel said:

The MCM5v2 is PWm locked by the CFW as it can't be adjusted live. You can DM him to get a custom limit, but by default it is 70%.

This.

I own an MCM5v2 running Freestyler's firmware so can confirm first hand.

I personally wouldn't recommend going beyond 80% PWM limit. You have less than 20% margin of safety overhead at that point.

I found it hard to deliberately push past more than 10-11% over the 70% PWM limit, so I'm riding with an 80% limit and I respect the titltback. I have a couple post in here on my MCM5V2 findings with 70% and 80% PWM limits. If you're a heavier rider, you will likely find it easier to exceed the pwm limit vs a much lighter rider on the same wheel, so it's a bit different for everyone. 

Edited by GottaWay

Thanks everyone for the info!  70% is a good limit for now.  I was going to turn it down to 50% (or lower) to test that it was working and see what it feels like.  I'll have to try testing it at 70% instead and see if that feels right.

Edited by cegli

6 hours ago, cegli said:

I was going to turn it down to 50% (or lower) to test that it was working and see what it feels like.

You can set the top speed tilt back to a low value to get a general feel of what a tilt-back feels like. In my understanding @Freestyler’s tilt-back feels slightly different, but not nearly enough to require a different response from the rider.

• Like 1