Making Begode wheels safer: PWM tiltback with custom firmware

2 hours ago, Cyph said:

You can test it out by setting 50% then ride the beep.

I don't have the option to change the % unfortunately. From reading this thread seems some wheels are locked at a particular percent. Guess the Hero is one of them.

2 hours ago, Cyph said:

You can test it out by setting 50% then ride the beep.

I think very few wheels have configurable PWM? For instance Master, not all Begode wheels has it.

4 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I think very few wheels have configurable PWM? For instance Master, not all Begode wheels has it.

The T4 has that option so I thought all had it. I wonder if only wheels based on the master platform or newer has the option.

Perhaps lifting the wheel off the ground will get it to 82% without danger of cutting out.

Edited by Cyph

• 3 weeks later...

https://freestyl3r.github.io/euc-dash/begode.html

There isn't a GitHub Pages site here.

If you're trying to publish one, read the full documentation to learn how to set up GitHub Pages for your repository, organization, or user account.

image.png.b5a129af7d2d9946e9d39c8f5b52e77f.png

Hi everyone, reporting back with the issue feedback for the Freestyler FW on my Master:

I am a beginner rider, I flashed the latest Freestyler FW for my Master which EucWorld reported as "CF2014803", Master V3 PWM tiltback.

I was doing a group ride and failed to mount my wheel so it fell over. I heard some beeps and realized that the wheel fully reset itself - all settings and even the mileage. It rode fine afterwards and before, the reset didn't happen when I was riding the wheel.

I cannot say for sure that it was the custom firmware that did this but this is just a debugging point, I personally reverted to the official channel firmwares after this.

I myself have made custom patches for Onewheel firmwares so I know that messing a patch could potentially make such a thing happen.

Cheers, hope this is a useful bit for devs and potential riders considering using these patched firmware blobs.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Giorgi said:

the wheel fully reset itself

I wonder if this is related somehow: The MSX lost it’s ridden mileage for that specific ride if it was put on its side when powered on, and then lifted up. It was the lifting up that reset the mileage though, so I just power cycled the wheel before lifting it up whenever it fell. I don’t know if the same issue exists in the MSP or RS, since I think it was a ‘18 model.

I have been using the CF2014803 firmware from Freestyler from nearly a year, but originally did not have the CF prefix.  I was the first to get with Bill to make the PWM tiltback FW for this version.  I have used it ever since without any issues.  I cannot explain why your Master acted the way it did, but would be looking at a possible hardware issue instead of a software issue. 

I set my Safety Margin at 15% and usually hit it at about 52 MPH on a fresh charge on my 50E V2 Round 3 Master so I know it works and have never put my on my face.

Edited by Magman116

Huh very interesting, thanks both of you!

@Magman116 I had local pros tell me they wouldn't want a wheel to tilt back on them as they're hauling ass because that could potentially interfere with carve and make them crash. What's your take on this? I'm super used to riding tiltback on the silly onewheels so it doesn't sound that bad to me in theory. I'm still very new to the EUCs, I barely go above 40mph these days.

@Giorgi The tiltback is not extreme on the Master with Freestyler's custom FW. It give you a quick tilt back just to let you know you hit your PWM limit.  It is not too much different than hitting a bump in the road.  It does not impact my high speed riding at all.  Also, it is not as aggressive as the tiltback on the Kingsong 16X, Inmotion V8S, or V11.

You can overshoot it, so make sure to back off as soon as you feel the tiltback if you have it set low like I do at 15% safety margin. Otherwise it can put you on your face. Most of the time I ride with it at 20% SM, but never really got close to a cutout so I dropped it to 15%.

Tiltback is an absolute must have. Have it on my 18 xl and it saved my ass a dozen times. I can't understand the critic because at the time it kicks in you risk a cutout/overlean anyway. Also it is gradualy. If you slowly approach tiltback speed the pedals just dip ever so slightly. If you run into it fast, the tiltback is fast (at least with my 18 XL). Super essential safety feature.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone here has some info on the internal details of patching that Freestyler has done? Begode official FW is one version ahead of the latest Freestyler FW and I have some experience in patching, I could potentially take on this.

@Giorgi With the Begode Master you can set the tiltback to kick in sooner to see what it feels like.  You can set the safety margin high to 50% or greater to feel it at a lower speed, then lower it to where you still feel safe.  

Yesterday I rode with my speeds around 46MPH for a few miles with a max around 48MPH. I did not hit my tiltback at all at those speeds.  As I was headed home with 37% battery, I hit the tiltback around 42MPH. I have hit it at a lower speed during hard acceleration; It is PWM based and not speed based. At least with my Master, it doesn't tell you to Please be Careful when hitting the tiltback like other wheels do. I personally do not like the beeps from any wheel as safety indicators. Haptic feedback is the way to go. Let me feel it instead of hear it as you can feel better than you can hear.

I am sure there are others on the site that know about FW modifications that Bill (Freestyler) did. He was a huge asset to the EUC community, making wheels safer to ride. I hope he recovers well and can get back to helping us all out.  I kinda don't feel safe buying a new wheel that he hasn't made dynamic tiltback firmware for.  My RS19 and Master both have his FW and it protects me from cutouts when pushing the wheels hard.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Magman116 said:

@Giorgi With the Begode Master you can set the tiltback to kick in sooner to see what it feels like.  You can set the safety margin high to 50% or greater to feel it at a lower speed, then lower it to where you still feel safe. 

Yeah totally, I didn't think about that! Flashing it rn

18 hours ago, Giorgi said:

Does anyone here has some info on the internal details of patching that Freestyler has done? Begode official FW is one version ahead of the latest Freestyler FW and I have some experience in patching, I could potentially take on this.

Neither the patch not any details were ever released unfortunately. If you are adept, you could download the binaries of the stock and modified firmwares and compare them to see what's different, understand how the patch interfaces with the stock firmware, and potentially implement it in other firmwares.

The reason it was (relatively) easy for Freestyler to do so many of the Begode firmwares is presumably because they all share large amounts of code and are very similar. Porting it to any other brand's wheels is a whole new reverse-engineering endeavor. 

Yeah absolutely, I was about to reach out to the EucWorld owner to get my hands on the firmware blobs which it seems like he's hosting himself. Patch diffing should be relatively easy. Testing the patch will be spooky tho :D

Hello - I am sad owner t4 v1 and I need help :(

I would like install C38 motor to t4 - Could somebody please make a hybrid FW that would have C38 motor parameters from begode master inside T4 FW please?
Or show me how it works and I can try to do it myself. 

I have at home spare begode master motor - with few mods It would mechanically fit T4, if I gave up some suspension travel. I want to try to make some hybrid wheel so I have at least something to ride on.

Problem : I have bad luck with T4 preorder unit - I replaced there already 2 times control board and motor. Even with new qs motor I was not able to ride t4 more than 680 km and the second motor have crack on rim. New motor cost another 600 bucks - and i am broke since I paid new control board. Begode warranty is useless, they always blame the rider. 

Who could be capable of that?
Thank you

2 hours ago, daniel1234 said:

Could somebody please make a hybrid FW that would have C38 motor parameters from begode master inside T4 FW please?

I’m not sure if 18/20” wheel control parameters work very well in a 16” wheel.

Sorry that you’re having so many issues with your T4.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I’m not sure if 18/20” wheel control parameters work very well in a 16” wheel.

No I wanna use genuine c38 with original rim from begode master with T4 v2 control board. So it will be basically RS because I will remove majority of suspension travel to accommodate bigger wheel. 

T4 motor/rim is so bad that I dont see much point buying 3th motor if there is no warranty that it survives more than 500 km. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 8:47 AM, daniel1234 said:

T4 motor/rim is so bad that I dont see much point buying 3th motor if there is no warranty that it survives more than 500 km. 

What’s wrong with the motor? 1200 km on mine and no issues.

Hi last ride with mten4 PWM set to 60% mten start shaking exactly like in this video :

Daughter ride cca 7 km and mten "fall" 3 times but 0kmh/mph fall just fall on side after stop she is 6Y and no have enouch strenght hold mten4 by one leg after some riding time. After turn off /on all fine what you think about? Is becasue "old" FW based or HW issue afrer "fall"?

https://euc.world/tour/622669374491126

Temperature show 37 clesius all time in 2 hours ride? Is bug or fail? I check my EUClogs and on original FW temperature work normaly propably is becasue PWM FW is based on older version.

EDIT 3 rides more around (40km togeteher) no problem shown all fine. We use Hard mode all time.

Edited by DjPanJan

On 6/18/2023 at 1:09 AM, Cyph said:

What’s wrong with the motor? 1200 km on mine and no issues.

Cracked rim on QS motor. I didnt ride that hard.

What happen if I flash FW from RS HT into T4 with c38 motor installed ? 
Will it work or smoke  ? :D