Making Begode wheels safer: PWM tiltback with custom firmware

9 hours ago, Freestyler said:

Instructions sent. Stock mcm5v2 firmware has PWM alarm at 75% with a max value of 98%. (compared to 100v wheels that have 80% alarm with 105% max)

So putting the PWM at 85% leaves you with 13% safety margin. Close to the maximum PWM the available torque is greatly reduced, so the the 13% from 85 -> 98 is weaker than the 13% from let's say 50 -> 63.

You will definitely overlean eventually.

The firmware I sent you has 70% PWM limit. Try that and see how much you can overshoot and then we can increase it.

Got it. Will test and see. Much appreciated. 

• Like 2

Huge shout-out to @Freestylernot only for the custom PWM firmware but he also helped me out getting my buddies RS19HT back up and running. I had a spare EXnHT controller and he was able to help me get the RS firmware flashed to the controller and now that wheel is back up and running!

I'll be hitting you up again in a few weeks once I get my EXn back ( loaned it to another friend after I accidentally blew his master controller with a small hop 🤦) so I can flash CFW to it as well.

• Like 1

@FreestylerHey, Newish to the EUC game and heard about the Dynamic tiltback firmware you have created. I wanna give it a try on my RS19 HT I have the tendency to push it a little hard and don't really trust the current speed based tiltback. I was searching around for install instructions but i am guessing I would need to get the info directly from you? 

Thanks, 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Seba said:

the upcoming EUC World 2.30 update will support firmware updates in Begode and Veteran wheels

So, you managed to get the whole veteran firmware update process, great to know, that opens up possibilities!
(please tell me more mastah 😂)

Time to fire up that IDA 😁😋
cc @Freestyler

Yesterday I did some testing with my EXN HS and Darknessbot 8.3.

I could verify that PWM is now correct and also see by how much I can overshoot by riding tiltback.
I set firmware alarms to audio and PWM alarm to 80% and vibrate.

I accelerated up to top speed and hit the firmware alarm at 57 kmh GPS. Slowed down a bit to 51 kmh and gently accelerated again. Firmware alarm went off at 59kmh and vibration at 61kmh. Did another slower push and firmware alarm went off at 58kmh followed by PWM alarm at 61kmh.
Tests were done at 92V. Sag went down as low as 82V. 
Max PWM achieved was between 81% and 82%. Tiltback is quite undefeatable at that point.

My riding weight is 165 lbs.

A heavier rider could push more. A yolo rider could push even more. Higher speeds means more load.

78% is a good number. I would be fine with 85% though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lattisimo said:

@Freestyler I would be interested in trying to read the firmware from my EB Commander. I have a little experience with jtaging routers and flashing bricked phone firmwares. Would you be willing to send me the information you have on reading from the board?

stm32 chips have read protection, it's quite difficult to do so... 🤔

22 hours ago, Freestyler said:

Thanks for the tests.

You convinced me. Let's increase your PWM limit to 80% :D

Today I did some more playing on the EXN. I rode on some long declines beeping and on tiltback. After the declines there was a transition to a long incline. Doing this I was able to hit 83% PWM (my EXN is set to beep/tilt at 78%). 

I was riding with Erik earlier today and his PWM alarm on his Master was set to 80% (he is using your custom firmware). Max PWM he hit was 83% (just normal riding no incline playing) and he is quite the donkey. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lattisimo said:

@Freestyler I would be interested in trying to read the firmware from my EB Commander. I have a little experience with jtaging routers and flashing bricked phone firmwares. Would you be willing to send me the information you have on reading from the board?

Sure, but be careful. The last guy who tried it few days ago, accidentally wiped his whole flash memory and no one has the commander firmware.

Edited by Freestyler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Freestyler said:

I guess it's time to increase the hardcoded value to 80% for wheels that go up to 105% and 75% to wheels that go up to 98%. (in other words, leave the default PWM limit as it is in the stock firmware)

Without knowing the detailed implementation in fw how pwm % is reported i'd say that the value is just generated from the pid control loop as "setpoint/desired value". As per definition 100% duty cycle opens the mosfet for the maximum time - 105% pwm duty cycle cannot lead to higher motor currents.

That's just an overshooting by the choosen  pid parameters.

• Like 1