Making Begode wheels safer: PWM tiltback with custom firmware

1 minute ago, dycus said:

I don't think it makes sense to have decimal precision on PWM... from a human's point of view, is it actually useful to know the PWM is 65.7% rather than 66%? I really don't think so. Better to use the extra bit(s) for something more useful.

I agree. For this point, I was just making a statement. I would love to have battery current and pwm. That would enhance EUC World precision a lot (mAh counter, safety margin, etc...)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RolluS said:

But... Battery fuses on Begode T4 are already 120A, I don't know if there are accurately chosen Am or Gg fuses badly selected to take current peak into account.

@RagingGrandpa sent me this if it helps
"A melting fuse with a label rating of 120A should pass 200% of its rating for at least 1 second. There is lots of extra headroom for pulses"
AM-JKLWaWc2v-WqFi9GwgQi0eT11ho8aNtzH1rL6

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, supercurio said:

On a HS Begode 100.8V 4P wheels with high capacity cells, hitting a 40A battery current alarm is probably super easy in an acceleration. That's my guess at least! I look forward to see data logs.

Check Telegram ;) But for the recorded trip, I was cruising around 30km/h and barely hit 15A estimated battery current.

2 hours ago, Seba said:

I agree.

Battery current would be used to calculate real power and energy consumption. For sure better resolution (desirably 0.1A) would be beneficial, but it's way better than current estimated power or energy figures.

The problem is that negative phase current doesn't necessarily mean that battery current is also negative :)

I meant that with your formula allowing some estimation of the current. But...

13 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Those fuses are not very carefully chosen... better to ignore them. If battery current exceeds 100A for more than an instant, something in the EUC has failed. 

So -128 to +127.5 seems enough.

----------

Thank you @Bizra6otand @RagingGrandpa for fuse/current figures ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Freestyler said:

I have found a clean way to distinguish a custom running firmware, by changing the firmware version preamble from GW -> CF (Custom Firmware).
Super easy to request firmware information from the wheel (which is returned in ASCII form) and then check the first 2 characters.

Command to request firmware version: https://github.com/freestyl3r/euc-dash/blob/f1eddfba3972c76e7a33ecf7a2d784395edb8e3a/js/begode.js#L49
Command to enable PWM tiltback (speed alert 3): https://github.com/freestyl3r/euc-dash/blob/f1eddfba3972c76e7a33ecf7a2d784395edb8e3a/js/begode.js#L57

Great and neat progress !

This was tested on my mcm5 which has no separate dc board and on a wheel with a separate dc board.

No side affects have been observed. The dc board firmware doesn't seem to care about the first characters.

Is the original Begode app still able to flash? Else... oups :D

On some late wheels such as the latest revisions of T4, Master, Master pro etc I found some mentions of a battery current in the extended packets, but we have not verified this yet.

I shall be able to test in a couple of day, when my T4 will be fully reassembled, please ask me ;)

I also made another (irrelevant) breakthrough and it seems that we can now change to any arbitrary PID value without the need to copy form another firmware.

I will soon test it out, but first I'm testing a front / back angle adjustment like the other wheel makers provide (for example +1 degree, -2 degrees etc).

Excellent !

• Like 3

I think there is some miss behavior with T4 v1 -> Above 80 percent PWM pedals seem to float back and forward. For me, with street tire, it starts from 43 km/h at 80 percent of battery. Even though Freespin is high. A partial solution is having PWM alarm/tilt-back at 70 percent - but that sacrifice a lot of "fun factor. At 25 percent battery,  70 percent PWM tiltback limits speed to 38 km/h.

Anyway, I tried to report it to the begode through distributor and they don't believe me. Feel free to test it yourself if you have T4 and a working PWM alarm :D.

14 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

I think there is some miss behavior with T4 v1 -> Above 80 percent PWM pedals seem to float back and forward. For me, with street tire, it starts from 43 km/h at 80 percent of battery. Even though Freespin is high. A partial solution is having PWM alarm/tilt-back at 70 percent - but that sacrifice a lot of "fun factor. At 25 percent battery,  70 percent PWM tiltback limits speed to 38 km/h.

Anyway, I tried to report it to the begode through distributor and they don't believe me. Feel free to test it yourself if you have T4 and a working PWM alarm :D.

the v1 had this issue , they tuned the firmware to solve this --> v2

7 hours ago, EMA said:

the v1 had this issue , they tuned the firmware to solve this --> v2

Begode claims there is no issue - that I am bad rider (literally). Where you got that information ? Is it feeling or fact ?

Just now, daniel1234 said:

Begode claims there is no issue - that I am bad rider (literally). Where you got that information ? Is it feeling or fact ?

all the 1st batch wheel had this issue, i clearly remember evees video and also Denis Hagov mention this on their test units 

• Like 1

I've also read is several places that T4 gets sketchy in higher speeds.

As in the recent Master thread, this is maybe an effect of bad PID tuning. I can copy the v2 pedal modes to the V1 version if you want to try it out and see if it fixes it for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EMA said:

all the 1st batch wheel had this issue, i clearly remember evees video and also Denis Hagov mention this on their test units 

Asymmetrical riding stance solved this issue for me. But yes, first reviewer told *102 versions of the firmware had woobling issue (that I still had with *103 if "incorrect" stance)

31 minutes ago, Freestyler said:

As in the recent Master thread, this is maybe an effect of bad PID tuning. I can copy the v2 pedal modes to the V1 version if you want to try it out and see if it fixes it for you.

I'm willing to test if needed :). I guess as soon as we have the good firmware repository hack everyone can test right?

Did you see anything regarding motor control? Like different timing, KV, etc? To know if there is a difference between ZX and QS motor firmware wise.

1 hour ago, Freestyler said:

Yes, please. It would be awesome. That is worth of shot.  QS motor have few percent lower KV rating.

If I can ask - Are 100v nikola PID values different from T4? If Yes, I would love to have instead of soft mode PID, 100v Nikola HS hard mode values. Normal soft mode have no use for me. The whole board looks like Nikola. The connection board have 120A fuse. But all cables look kinda tiny ... I liked feel of nikola. If it would ride at least as well as 100v Nikola I would be satisfied.
I am surprised that others don't report similar behavior. It is really noticeable downhill with medium mode. Hard more is a little bit more stable. With stable I mean pedal tilt - pedals tilt start to get wigle room few degrees up/down. It almost feels like you ride a wheel that is not circular and I am riding flat tire.

Thank you for support Begode does not offer! 

Respect - where we can donate some $$ for coffee?

• Like 1

Late to the party but, would it be possible to detect ambient temps by smartly considering a lack of board temp increase under load, and reduce PWM accordingly? (Optionally of course) 

I only suggest this as premature cutouts are more common in very cold temperature conditions.