Making Begode wheels safer: PWM tiltback with custom firmware

Seems like begode app 1.0.9. is stable on my samsung for flashing.  App 1.0.13 is stable only on my GF Chinese phone. Vice versa it doesn't work -  it corrupt process making you messing with wires. 

Edited by daniel1234
  • Like 1

Hi all,

15 hours ago, Freestyler said:

@RolluS & @daniel1234 instructions to test hard pedal mode fix sent

Thank you, I'll test during this week.

48 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

Seems like begode app 1.0.9. is stable on my samsung for flashing.  App 1.0.13 is stable only on my GF Chinese phone. Vice versa it doesn't work -  it corrupt process making you messing with wires. 

Same for me on my Google Pixel 6. 1.0.13 force close whenever I set up the custom firmware thing.

16 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Ah, so PID change was only for hard mode? Perhaps worth replicating over medium and soft also?

Yeap, only hard mode was ported. Are the other modes "broken" as well?

App stuff:

I still use version 1.0.9 as I find it more stable for my work.

I have not investigated the crash due to proxy, but a workaround I've done in the past is to only setup proxy when the app is already started and inside the settings.

7 hours ago, Freestyler said:

Yeap, only hard mode was ported.

Thank you.

I riden 30 km on hard mode(fully geared). Seems better - or I notice just a little pedal wobbliness - but it is hard to quantify. I need to test it more to be sure. But feels stable/safe up to 48 km/h  - I had 75 percent PWM tilt-back not letting me go much faster.   
The wheel feels a little more responsive like there is less lag between lean and acceleration which is nice surprise! I am curious on Rollus experience.

I have V1 T4 board with QS motor. Hope there are not many of us out there :D . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Do you have firmware for an EX20S? Just curious. 

Yeap. Every Begode wheel that has been released with firmware update capability has been flashed! So that only leaves out old wheels such as msx & msp and extreme bull wheels (commander, x-max).

• Like 2

EDIT #2 Turns out the new board Begode sent me had a bad firmware that was incompatible with updating... Last night (11/15/22) they released Master firmware v 2.3 which solved my problem.

I am trying to update firmware on my V2 Master - eWheels version w/LiTech batteries. (My wheel arrived with a defective board, and apparently the new board I just received doesn't support the LiTech packs, so Begode tech support wants me to upgrade the firmware.)

... except I can't get it to install.

Where can I download the older Begode app V 1.0.9? The current 1.0.13 is not working for me.

EDIT: I downloaded 1.0.9 from here, but it didn't solve my problem.

https://m.newasp.com/android/746321.html

I have carefully tried to follow the online tutorials but I'm either doing something wrong, or there's something wrong with my new board.

Edited by Phi1osopher
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Freestyler said:

Yeap. Every Begode wheel that has been released with firmware update capability has been flashed! So that only leaves out old wheels such as msx & msp and extreme bull wheels (commander, x-max).

Since you have internal access to many parameters, is there a wheel diameter parameter from your observations to perhaps correct the wheels reported speed?

most Begode wheels report speed that is about 8-9% inflated which also ruins single mileage / odometer numbers and I’d love to see that fixed! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I even have a MSX84 with new black board (upgraded not long ago) Any chance of a Freestyler tiltback FW on that?

I feel it is more important on that one than the Master, as I am close to max so often. I am not having that problem on my Master 😉

Edited by EUCzero

4 hours ago, Phi1osopher said:

My wheel arrived with a defective board, and apparently the new board I just received doesn't support the LiTech packs, so Begode tech support wants me to upgrade the firmware.

To my knowledge, no Begode wheel has a smart BMS, so only thing the mainboard sees is a voltage.

Can you elaborate "the board doesn't support LiTech packs" ? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Since you have internal access to many parameters, is there a wheel diameter parameter from your observations to perhaps correct the wheels reported speed?

most Begode wheels report speed that is about 8-9% inflated which also ruins single mileage / odometer numbers and I’d love to see that fixed! 

Yeap. I can change the reported speed. Already done that for a guy that put a 100v monster v3 board on his mcm5.

3 hours ago, EUCzero said:

I even have a MSX84 with new black board (upgraded not long ago) Any chance of a Freestyler tiltback FW on that?

I feel it is more important on that one than the Master, as I am close to max so often. I am not having that problem on my Master 😉

Even if the board is black, the firmware cannot always be flashed.

The definitive way to know from my knowledge is to connect to euc-dash and see if the firmware version field is populated.

If it's not, then no luck. I for example have a black controller that is not flashable.

But I also don't have a 84v msx firmware. I have only for the 100v version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, RolluS said:

To my knowledge, no Begode wheel has a smart BMS, so only thing the mainboard sees is a voltage.

Can you elaborate "the board doesn't support LiTech packs" ? 

That is what I was told from Begode, but it turned out to be wrong information.  The issue has been resolved with a fresh official firmware update, v2.3.

On 11/18/2022 at 12:33 PM, InfiniteWheelie said:

Are there any plans to make PWM tilt-back for LeaperKim wheels?

Many local riders have requested this. (sherman is a popular wheel!)

I could try that, but the problem is that we don't have an easy way of recovering the wheel in case of a brick.

Begode wheels are fairly easy to recover, on shermans we have to use an external chip that few people would have access to, so the risk is high.

If someone finds a way to un-brick shermans without needing extra hardware (similar to Begode) then I can proceed with the firmware changes. (developing on a new wheel will surely lead to some bricks)

Edited by Freestyler
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Freestyler said:

If someone finds a way to un-brick shermans without needing extra hardware (similar to Begode) then I can proceed with the firmware changes. (developing on a new wheel will surely lead to some bricks)

There may be a way, since the wheel features a state that the fw puts it self in order to do the upgrade instead of blatantly writing on the chip. There may be a way to recover out of a faulty error, but this is something a few people will surely know, cause most of the cases of faulty fw upload people are directed on buying a new mobo.. 😥

If there is anyone that can reach people that have successfully recovered from known error states and stuff, it'll surely help.

After that, i already have at hand an upgrade chip with 1.0.56, and more over files/binaries 😉..

The difficult thing is to find the time to play with these things, with you..

4 hours ago, Freestyler said:

Many local riders have requested this. (sherman is a popular wheel!)

I could try that, but the problem is that we don't have an easy way of recovering the wheel in case of a brick.

Begode wheels are fairly easy to recover, on shermans we have to use an external chip that few people would have access to, so the risk is high.

You might check with @DrBytes, I believe he has some knowledge of the updater .apk and that could give clues on how to the process works—which might provide insight into unbricking

On 11/14/2022 at 8:48 PM, Phi1osopher said:

EDIT #2 Turns out the new board Begode sent me had a bad firmware that was incompatible with updating... Last night (11/15/22) they released Master firmware v 2.3 which solved my problem.

I am trying to update firmware on my V2 Master - eWheels version w/LiTech batteries. (My wheel arrived with a defective board, and apparently the new board I just received doesn't support the LiTech packs, so Begode tech support wants me to upgrade the firmware.)

... except I can't get it to install.

Where can I download the older Begode app V 1.0.9? The current 1.0.13 is not working for me.

EDIT: I downloaded 1.0.9 from here, but it didn't solve my problem.

https://m.newasp.com/android/746321.html

I have carefully tried to follow the online tutorials but I'm either doing something wrong, or there's something wrong with my new board.

What firmware version were you on? I have an ewheels v2 with litech battery and mine is 2014503. I'm unable to upgrade to anything else listed in the app.

Hey @Freestyler, new to the forum. I've just installed a C30 into my EX.N torque. Have you got a firmware to go from C38 to C30 with tiltback? Currently I can't ride the wheel. Begode app won't push the C30 firmware (wheel turns off during flashing). It's a black board and I used your Euc-dash tool to verify that firmware version shows up. 

Edited by Jerqfase
Corrected @ mention
  • Like 1