Making Begode wheels safer: PWM tiltback with custom firmware

1 hour ago, Freestyler said:

Please help me understand your message better.

You placed a C30 motor in your C38 board and now it is not driven correctly.

Therefore you want to flash a C30 firmware in your board.

Is that correct?

Yes, this is correct. 

On 11/29/2022 at 9:25 AM, Freestyler said:

Please help me understand your message better.

You placed a C30 motor in your C38 board and now it is not driven correctly.

Therefore you want to flash a C30 firmware in your board.

Is that correct?

Few things after reviewing this whole thread again:

EX20S C30 has a 200A phase limit. Can this be increased to 220 or 250 via custom firmware? Perhaps it will allow the wheel to have a bit more low end acceleration.  

I also have in my possession a T4 v2 (18 MOSFET board).  Is there a firmware available for this wheel? I find it alarming that this wheel starts beeping around 60 kph but cutout is 63 kph according to others. I wonder if Begode accidentally set the default PWM alarm to 90% instead of 80. It will beep around 50 kph at 89-90v SOC. 

I would be interested in trying the custom firmware for both wheels. Please message me! I am also on telegram if that is easier. 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 1

Hi all.

I can't tell why yet, but I like T2 V2 hard pedal mode on T4 V1 hybrid (V2 QS motor, V1 12mosfet board). It feel more confortable. I'll report again after several commuting trips :)

@Freestyler can you tell the difference between these modes please? I think it is about the PID value right? how does that influence?

• Like 1

I've been able to test CF1612104 PWM Tiltback on my T4 v1.5 (V2 motor, V1 board) and compared to (C)GF1612103 PWM Tiltback (hard mode fix).

I don't know the differences but I do like pedal mode fix better, it has less pedal dip accelerating in turn or rolling downstairs or on pavements. Would you make the hard mode pedal fix on CF1612104 please?

I'll redo some test at battery full and checking motor parameters if relevant and reproducible.

Great job @Freestyler. Now we need @Sebaand others to recognize CF in EUC World and other apps 🙏🏻🤟🏻

• Like 1

@Freestylerbtw is it possible to flash a firmware to EB Commander or there is no firmware update function? Also did you manage to increase the phase current limits? Because all new wheels have a very low torque compared to the old ones with green motherboards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seba said:

I've been working with @Freestyler last days to add and test CF support in EUC World. Now I'm happy to say that upcoming 2.26 update will include full support for Freestyler's custom firmware. So with upcoming EUC World 2.26.0 and CF you'll be able to:

• use dynamic tiltback feature,
  • change dynamic tiltback limit between 10% and 50% of safety margin (if supported by the wheel),
  • get reliable values of safety margin,
  • get reliable values of battery current, power and energy consumption (experimental feature that needs to be verified by users).

As 2.26.0 is not only a normal update, but it's also a service update that fixes two major issues found in 2.24.0 (AVAS crashing the app on Android12+ and negative safety margin on newer Veteran wheels causing safety margin alarm to activate all the time), I worked entire weekend to send it to Google Play ASAP. Now it's undergoing a standard Google Play review procedure that usually takes two or three days, so this update should be publicly available soon.

Worth to note that 2.26.0 also brings new feature I was asked for by several users - safety margin indicator on the main screen. I think that this feature combined with CF firmware will increase rider awareness and safety, especially when riding the edge. To enable safety margin indicator, one needs to connect the wheel, open app menu then tap on Gauge and switch Load indicator mode to Safety margin. Please note that this setting is not global but wheel-specific, so you have to set it for each of your wheels separately. By default, load indicator is set to Relative load, which is relative to current alarm setting. If current alarm is set to zero, load indicator that is set do display relative load won't show at all.

Excellent news!

On 12/10/2022 at 6:00 PM, RolluS said:

I've been able to test CF1612104 PWM Tiltback on my T4 v1.5 (V2 motor, V1 board) and compared to (C)GF1612103 PWM Tiltback (hard mode fix).

I don't know the differences but I do like pedal mode fix better, it has less pedal dip accelerating in turn or rolling downstairs or on pavements. Would you make the hard mode pedal fix on CF1612104 please?

I will!

9 hours ago, 84z0r said:

@Freestylerbtw is it possible to flash a firmware to EB Commander or there is no firmware update function? Also did you manage to increase the phase current limits? Because all new wheels have a very low torque compared to the old ones with green motherboards.

There is no wireless firmware update capability for the commander :(

I have increased the limits for several wheels and people report a positive impact overall.

3 hours ago, Freestyler said:

There is no wireless firmware update capability for the commander :(

I have increased the limits for several wheels and people report a positive impact overall.

Thank you for the reply! But there is also a way to flash it by using UART. Or you mean that you need wireless update capability to get a firmware file?

I brought this up before, but now that the Sherman-S seems to be the new best overall wheel, I'd love to see LeaperKim wheels get PWM tilt-back.

It's a shame they don't do this from the factory. It's bad enough relying on beeps, but if I recall even the beeps are not PWM based.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

How about being able to update the FW within the EUC World App with one of @Freestyler awesome dynamic tiltback FW's?

I currently use them on my Begode wheels and really makes a difference in safety and performance.

It would be nice to be able to adjust for pedal dip or fine tune it too.

Edited by Magman116
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 8:51 PM, 84z0r said:

Thank you for the reply! But there is also a way to flash it by using UART. Or you mean that you need wireless update capability to get a firmware file?

You can always flash via a cable, but extreme bull firmwares are not published.

If you can manage to read the firmware from the board, I can patch it and then you can write it.

Contact me for deatails on how to do that if you want to go down that route!

On 12/12/2022 at 9:07 PM, InfiniteWheelie said:

I brought this up before, but now that the Sherman-S seems to be the new best overall wheel, I'd love to see LeaperKim wheels get PWM tilt-back.

It's a shame they don't do this from the factory. It's bad enough relying on beeps, but if I recall even the beeps are not PWM based.

It would be great to have it on Sherman wheels, since they are so popular, I agree.

Someone has to find how to recover them in case of a brick first though.

Otherwise the risk is too high if a bad flash means buying a new controller.

On 12/14/2022 at 7:20 PM, RolluS said:

I think that with this blog article spread on facebook and forums, you @Freestyler need to set a public instruction if you don't want to be spammed in your PM Box.
I think we are a couple of users skilled enough to help you with user assistance in this thread. I hope your proxy can handle that, else you know I can help.

The only reason I have not made the procedure more public yet, is to be on the good side with Begode, so hopefully they will be more open to cooperate on getting the feature implemented on stock wheels. I don't want to be the guy that distributes firmwares.

They don't seem to care much, but I don't want to burn that bridge yet.

On 12/14/2022 at 9:54 PM, Magman116 said:

How about being able to update the FW within the EUC World App with one of @Freestyler awesome dynamic tiltback FW's?

I currently use them on my Begode wheels and really makes a difference in safety and performance.

It would be nice to be able to adjust for pedal dip or fine tune it too.

That's also a good idea, but I'm sure Seba has a lot on his plate. Creating the flasher is not much of a problem, as the point mentioned above though.

On 12/10/2022 at 6:00 PM, RolluS said:

I copied all pedals modes from v2 into v1 latest firmware (1612104). I'll pm you the details

Edited by Freestyler
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Freestyler said:

The only reason I have not created made the procedure more public yet, is to be on the good side with Begode, so hopefully they will be more open to cooperate on getting the feature by stock. I don't want to be the guy that distributes firmwares.

I copied all pedals modes from v2 into v1. I'll pm you the details

I understand your point. @supercurio got Begode to listen to the community for the suspension. It seems doable to catch their attention. 

I'll tried pedal fix tomorrow, thank you ;)

I have the lastest freestyler FW GW202002 installed on my EXN C30. It works quite well regarless I never hit the tiltback while rolling on it, but on a freespin it seems to work well. I installed lastest version of EUC World as well. When EUC World is starting I have few beeps I did not have before and the dashboard is not showing a speed limitation as it used to be before. Instead I have a purple dod. Version reported page 2 is the GW202002 firmware. Does it means EUC World has taken in account the modified firmware ?. Meanwhile I dont have access to the specific menu of dynamic firmare. It seems to work but not completely deployed. Any thought @Seba or @Freestyler. Thanks in advance for sharing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zrex90 said:

I have the lastest freestyler FW GW202002 installed on my EXN C30.

1 hour ago, Zrex90 said:

Version reported page 2 is the GW202002 firmware.

Either it is not a @Freestyler's firmware but stock firmware, or you may have older version of custom firmware, made before we agreed on naming convention that allows the EUC World to distinguish between stock and custom firmware. Every firmware starting with GW is considered a stock firmware, so this is why you can't have access to a settings that are exclusive for custom firmware.

Edited by Seba
  • Like 1

^ What Seba said. There are many custom firmwares circulating before we made the change to help apps identify that a custom firmware is running.

I will send you instructions @Zrex90 to flash a more up to date firmware that is compatible with 3rd party apps: Euc world, Darknessbot (beta) and Wheellog (beta).

Also, not every wheel firmware is updated with the above changes, but every time I get a request for a wheel, I make sure to update it to the latest patches.

Edited by Freestyler