Making Begode wheels safer: PWM tiltback with custom firmware

So I had a few questions regarding the control PIDs of Begode wheels. Is it possible or are we at the point where we can modify the stock PID loops to change ride feel? I would be interesting in changing the behavior of pedals during turns to reduce dipping for example. The main reason I ask this is I was curious if we could copy control algorithms from other related wheels like putting RS HS feeling firmwares onto an EXN HS. As a light rider I feel the EXN is unnecessarily unresponsive and requires extreme force or leaning to do what used to be simple.

All that aside I'd like to try out the 75% PWM tiltback on my EXN HS. I have the most recent EXN C30 firmware, do you have that firmware with working PWM tiltback? Also curious if you could disable the beeping once the wheel goes below 79 volts, I can run it down to 72 volts tested, but the wheel constantly beeps the entire time and I have to turn my beep volume down.

• Like 2

@Timwheel the mode you're describing is what I found missing on most Begode wheels I've tried.

Some amount of give for comfort and to help quick reactions without relying too much on pads, and going back near flat quickly but without bouncing/oscillations as sometimes experienced. Something you can find on Inmotion and Kingsong wheels. I found this behavior only on one specific, older EX.N firmware is medium mode when trying a friend's wheel.

Edited by supercurio

• 2 weeks later...

@Freestyler

Can you help me change the firmware for begode ex.n? Unfortunately I updated the firmware to the latest one and it was a mistake. It is impossible to drive on the wheel, the wheel has no power, it wobbles it on bumps.
I would like to go back to the firmware accelerated stability, unfortunately it is no longer available in the begode app and the manufacturer ignores me.

https://youtube.com/shorts/WSQn925jCzE?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/IuxMQg276bU?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/uxFqTMS5n4c?feature=share

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 12:44 PM, Antoni Chujek said:

@Freestyler

It is impossible to drive on the wheel, the wheel has no power, it wobbles it on bumps.

why is that so? you updated on mten firmware?))
maybe u need to re-calibrate?

Yes! I've been waiting for this for so long. So if we are already running your firmware we will still need to update to this new one correct?

My main thing is I want this to be read on my watch with the flashed euc watch firmware on it. I wonder how we can make that happen. @enaon Would be useful to have on the main screen with my speed, maybe we could toggle time with the value this PWM% replaces?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jtm94 said:

Yes! I've been waiting for this for so long. 

there is pwm bar on the dash already for kingsongs, and pwm based haptic, I will enable them for gotway too now that Bill made progress, I will inform on the telegram group. 

Edited by enaon
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Rollus, I'm interested by an EUC Alarm app recording of these packets by the way ;)

OK, I'll do this on Monday, I'm not gonna ride tomorrow as I am going to Salon de l'Automobile in Paris (a big static car show with new models, technology, etc...).
Are there specific situation you'd like me to do or just riding around?

Your proxy has been very usefull for these test BTW. Begode app, Darkness Bot, and EUC Dash are struggling to connect when they are not the first to connect, but I do not use them regularly so I don't mind.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RolluS said:

@Freestyler maybe you could flag the custom firmware, like, assuming its an unsigned integer, adding a mask to LED Mode or something like that, so other apps knows there is a pwm value available

There is already something in-place to identify the custom firmware. The speed alert setting would be 3 for anyone that enabled the PWM tiltback (which is the main reason to run my custom firmware).

You can set it on a stock firmware and it will behave almost like mode 2 (almost, because it sets some alternative PWM limits) and that can only be done through euc-dash.

Additionally until I port it to all firmwares, some wheels will not show the PWM despite having speed alert 3. All wheels will slowly get it though, so I don't think we need to worry of the above edge cases. 

TLDR: If speed alert is 3, read PWM from packets.

15 hours ago, RolluS said:

@Seba This would optionaly replace the safety margin calculated by EUC World probably? Also I would love to have that on the dashboard, maybe in replacement of the current or speed gauge.
Is darknessbot already compatible? PWM was stuck to 0 before I reflash. I'm using EUC World and just installed Darkness Bot from google playstore.
https://streamable.com/dplamo

No 3rd party app has implemented it yet afaik. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Freestyler said:

There is already something in-place to identify the custom firmware. The speed alert setting would be 3 for anyone that enabled the PWM tiltback (which is the main reason to run my custom firmware).

TLDR: If speed alert is 3, read PWM from packets.

No 3rd party app has implemented it yet afaik. 

OK thank you for the clarification @Freestyler

55 minutes ago, Seba said:

In next few days I plan to release 2.22.1 minor update and it's a great opportunity to add support for your custom firmware in EUC World. But it would be great to have something that could be used to distinguish between stock and your custom firmware. Relying on a speed alarm mode isn't the best idea, though. I concur to @RolluS that having something in the data packet that is specific to your custom firmware would be great. First, this would allow to set alarm mode to 3, second, it would allow to use PWM reported by the firmware as safety margin instead on relying on calculated safety margin.

@SebaMaybe a user input would be also a good option. Just after the "reverse power/current" option, adding "custom firmware with PWM report".

I would love to see PWM displayed on main screen.
On the same topic, I wrote a tip here about law enforcement setting mode to less or equal to 2 if using custom firmware: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seba said:

In next few days I plan to release 2.22.1 minor update and it's a great opportunity to add support for your custom firmware in EUC World. But it would be great to have something that could be used to distinguish between stock and your custom firmware. Relying on a speed alarm mode isn't the best idea, though. I concur to @RolluS that having something in the data packet that is specific to your custom firmware would be great. First, this would allow to set alarm mode to 3, second, it would allow to use PWM reported by the firmware as safety margin instead on relying on calculated safety margin.

That's exciting! I have forgot that setting the PWM tiltback from other apps should also be an option, so you are correct that relying on speed alert is not good enough.

I have to think something else.

One idea would be to alter the firmware version slightly.

Example of a firmware version: GW1401001

The first 4 digits signify the model (GW1401001 is mcm5).

Thse digits are also checked by the firmware in the dc board to distinguish between models and choose the appropriate behavior.

The 5th digit is usually an incompatible version (GW1401001). For example Master & T4 change this number between revisions.

The last 2 digits are reserved for the version within that wheel (GW1401001). Version 1 in this example.

Changing any value other than the version will lead to a mismatch and flash rejection.

I'm not sure what happens if you change the GW1401001 label at the start. (it could be changed to Custom Firmware CF1401001 or something similar)

The app seems to drop the first 2 characters, but I don't know if will be accepted when flashing.

All in all it doesn't seem like a good idea to change the firmware version.

Another idea is altering the wheel model. Example: NAME:MCM5\r\n

I can't increase the size, because that's too much work. I can alter existing characters.

Can't change the NAME:MCM5\r\n part because begode app specifically searches for it and drops it.

We could change that carriage return character NAME:MCM5\r\n to something else like NAME:MCM5!\n

I'm open to other ideas!

• Upvote 2