Begode Master 134V 2400WH Suspension

On 12/26/2022 at 2:08 AM, trailless said:

Im going to stick with the stock tire for a bit

That's not a bad thought if you are fine with that horrible lean it does in the first 500 miles whenever you try and turn past a certain point. It is very grippy. Some people REALLY hate that lean though, but it does get substantially less unstable-feeling once you have worn the tread down a bit.

On 12/26/2022 at 2:08 AM, trailless said:

But what better battery cover and what silicone seal motor mods do you recommend? 

The current rubber cover grommet thing is shite for several reasons. Firstly, both ports lie within a recess, which virtually begs water to accumulate there, and prevents its escape. Inside that is a small ridge, which that water would have to surmount, but if it ever does so then it can get down the side of both charge ports and drip directly onto the BMS. There aren't even rubber grommets around those to prevent it.

Secondly, the rubber cover has a large margin between it and the outer perimeter of the recess, and is not exactly tightly over the charge ports either - it is sitting there mainly down to gravity and a tiny bit of friction fit - but anyway, not enough IMO to faultlessly withstand a heavy deluge.

You can download a charge port cover from thingiverse that completely covers the whole indent section with an overhanging rim which stops water in its tracks before it gets anywhere near those ports. If you have that AND a waterproof cover you can stretch over the whole top of the Master in big rain, then you won't have any issues with water from above getting in that machine.

The only thing you 'need' to do with silicone on the motor is plant a thin bead of it around the rim of the hubs on both sides to prevent any possibility of water getting in there. Also check the tightness of the hub bolts - several of mine were loose(ish) from factory. Lastly, to further dissuade water from getting near your bearings you can always smear the bearing cover seams with a thin layer of grease.

Edited by Cerbera

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Do we have any more info about these  at all yet ?

Yes, he posted an update showing that during the first crash, the outer aluminum had dented in, impinging on the board and likely damaged some components. He swapped the board, and the Master is now working. 

• Thanks 1

So I put 200 psi in the shock when I got it.  Dialed in 5 from max rebound to stop the top-outs.  Now, I consider this good for a road wheel.  Note the longer travel of my S22 with 190 lbs x190mm spring makes this same seated drop painless. 

Edited by Elliott Reitz

13 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

So I put 200 psi in the shock when I got it.  Dialed in 5 from max rebound to stop the top-outs.  Now, I consider this good for a road wheel.  Note the longer travel of my S22 with 190 lbs x190mm spring makes this same seated drop painless.

stuff like this with stock geometry is not pleasant :D you need to change it for something better

5 minutes ago, EMA said:

stuff like this with stock geometry is not pleasant :D you need to change it for something better

Right, but no.  I only did the drops with it to test my home-welded seat bracket before shipping it to the guy who purchased it via eBay (welding and set screw design verification test passed).  

Stock geometry on the Master fits my use-case for the master (with 200 to 250 psi and 5 clicks from max rebound resistance). Local roads are mostly smooth with an occasional pot-hole of mild depth.  So I'm happy with the "linear" travel of its stock Master V3 linkage setup (I think its a V3 because it came with the yoga-mat headlight pad that fell off).   

And note to contrast my appreciation of linear travel Master road suspension vs the non-linear travel S22 suspension. For road-use the Master is nearly as good as the S22 for all but big pothole stuff.  Both are near 3:1 at top of range.  At bottom the (stock linkage) Master doesn't change much but the S22 decreases to 1.1 1.    My S22 is now smoother than the Master only now because it now has the CNC Rollers suspension and a 350 lbs spring.  I think the stock spring would be about equivalent to the give of the air-shock of the master.   Note its that ratio reduction (with 190mm length to increase preload) that lets me get away with such a light weight spring on my S22. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 8:06 AM, Rawnei said:

Nice informative post from Kevin @Alien Rides regarding all the different versions of Begode Master boards:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/5678555832242333/

It's a clusterfudge.

Master_Electronics.thumb.jpg.d33531ac98cffaaed20ef0da800f3a8e.jpg

Hej guys,

i got replacements parts for my early V1 Master. B3 board with S2 Display and a not shown here "C1 Rev 03" connector board with black PCB, connector to mainboard with cables like C3 and 120A total fuse for my 33V battery packs. 

That makes my Master a V2 - at least what relates to firmware. Correct?

IMG_20221231_125233_216.thumb.jpg.2d9ad04d4726f612d3b5bb48e65d6079.jpg

On 10/25/2022 at 10:50 AM, Kutvelo said:

In my honest opinion, by built quality and parts this wheel isn't supposed to be used "as it is" on trails, but only on city gliding. Even though it was advertised by throwing down the mountain.. Beegoo should just ditch the crap shock and pads and sell it barebone + give discount to "modders".

Here is picture ripped from e-rides teardown, the worst place on mobo side waterproofing, other red circle is shaped in the box with seal. The front one goes right over the edge, riding in rain will cause air flow to push water up into the mobo box as the "seal" is a joke. The pic is from V1, it is even worse with left side cables, on V2 "only" the motor and hall cable is similarly assembled, but the difference is on V2 there is similar rubber seal to protect the cable, but this cause even bigger space for the water to get in.

image.png.2dfcd387cfcff0d871570564ce38d548.png

i agree that those cables could be secured and sealed better.

on the other side i can show the picture of my v1 master with 5000km clean as this picture :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Copy and paste of another thread.

Magman.png

Yesterday was a very bad day for my Master V2.3.  I went for a short ride, ~8 miles, due to the cold temps. When I got home, I do as I normally do and connect up the charger and top off my batteries for the next ride.  I plugged in the charger, then turned it on.  Oh, the charger is the Alien Rides fast charger. Within a few seconds, massive amounts of smoke started pouring out of the top of the master.

I immediately pulled the power on the charger; the wheel was making a wining sound and when I stood it up, the motor felt partially engaged.  I quickly unscrewed the screws holding the top pad/seat on and then the screws holding the display cover.  Grabbed some plyers and pulled the battery plugs from the board.  Everything was charred black! I was like WFT happened.  I do not understand what could have occurred to cause such a reaction.  

I spent the next hour or so pulling the boards out of the wheel and cleaning them up.  Every single board was damaged to some degree.  The bottom board with all the MOSFETS had major damage with blown components, and melted traces.  I took some photos of the damage.  The display was even damaged as well as the cover. 

I sent Alien Rides and email with the photos, so hopefully we can get this repaired quickly.  They had just sent me the little circuit board to fix the display issue and I was just going to do one quick ride then replace it.  I did not get a change to even open the package the new board came in before dealing with this massive issue.

I feel fortunate this happened while I was there and not in another room of the house.  This could have easily resulted in a house fire. You can imaging my panic as smoke is dumping out of the wheel and I am in a mad race to get the batteries disconnected to save what I could of the wheel and my house. My hands were black from all the smoke from the wheel. The battery packs all measured right around 65.14V - 65.17V, so they were not even charged fully.

Does anyone have an idea of what could have happened. It was not a wet rainy day; I did no jumping or had any wrecks. The wheel behaved as it always did; nothing out of the ordinary. 

20230115_151642.jpg

20230115_185500.jpg

20230115_150846.jpg

20230115_151016.jpg

20230115_151024.jpg

20230115_151602.jpg

20230115_151609.jpg

20230115_151611.jpg

20230115_151616.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

Copy and paste of another thread.

Magman.png

Yesterday was a very bad day for my Master V2.3.  I went for a short ride, ~8 miles, due to the cold temps. When I got home, I do as I normally do and connect up the charger and top off my batteries for the next ride.  I plugged in the charger, then turned it on.  Oh, the charger is the Alien Rides fast charger. Within a few seconds, massive amounts of smoke started pouring out of the top of the master.

I immediately pulled the power on the charger; the wheel was making a wining sound and when I stood it up, the motor felt partially engaged.  I quickly unscrewed the screws holding the top pad/seat on and then the screws holding the display cover.  Grabbed some plyers and pulled the battery plugs from the board.  Everything was charred black! I was like WFT happened.  I do not understand what could have occurred to cause such a reaction.  

I spent the next hour or so pulling the boards out of the wheel and cleaning them up.  Every single board was damaged to some degree.  The bottom board with all the MOSFETS had major damage with blown components, and melted traces.  I took some photos of the damage.  The display was even damaged as well as the cover. 

I sent Alien Rides and email with the photos, so hopefully we can get this repaired quickly.  They had just sent me the little circuit board to fix the display issue and I was just going to do one quick ride then replace it.  I did not get a change to even open the package the new board came in before dealing with this massive issue.

I feel fortunate this happened while I was there and not in another room of the house.  This could have easily resulted in a house fire. You can imaging my panic as smoke is dumping out of the wheel and I am in a mad race to get the batteries disconnected to save what I could of the wheel and my house. My hands were black from all the smoke from the wheel. The battery packs all measured right around 65.14V - 65.17V, so they were not even charged fully.

Does anyone have an idea of what could have happened. It was not a wet rainy day; I did no jumping or had any wrecks. The wheel behaved as it always did; nothing out of the ordinary. 

20230115_151642.jpg

20230115_185500.jpg

20230115_150846.jpg

20230115_151016.jpg

20230115_151024.jpg

20230115_151602.jpg

20230115_151609.jpg

20230115_151611.jpg

20230115_151616.jpg

Shouldn’t this one also be added to the fires thread? (If he wasn’t home to disconnect the batteries it would’ve been a fire.)

21 minutes ago, Magman116 said:

I would think it would fit right in line with the fires thread. If I was out of the room for even 5 minutes, it would have been over for my house.

I did a search and simply could not find the fire thread to add this incident. Maybe someone could help?

15 minutes ago, trailless said:

I dropped the wheel while trolleying it, I clipped the edge of some stairs. Well I guess the trolley handle hit something and now its hard to put down and I have to pull rather hard for it to come up. Anyway to fix this? 

Like, just initially or all the way from top to bottom?

Difficult to say exactly what could be wrong, it's a flimsy construction all the way, you might have to take it apart and look at the individual parts, if it's all the way top to bottom could be one/both of the pipes that got bent or dented, if just initially it's something with the locking mechanism inside.

Yeah the handle struts could have got deformed slightly whilst fully extended - they really don't like a lot of weight from the side when fully out.

If you undo the screws at the top you can at least find out which one has the problem or if they both do, and might be able to wiggle them about, subtly bend / persuade them back to where they should be. Also check none of the screw receptacles have got bent forcing screws to weird angles.

Worst case scenario might be that you have damaged or cracked the main brace that bridges the suspension arms to the main chassis as documented in @Rawnei's recent thread. Is your suspension suddenly stiff too ? Hopefully not, as that is major ball-ache to remedy.

5 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Like, just initially or all the way from top to bottom?

Difficult to say exactly what could be wrong, it's a flimsy construction all the way, you might have to take it apart and look at the individual parts, if it's all the way top to bottom could be one/both of the pipes that got bent or dented, if just initially it's something with the locking mechanism inside.

It's from the bottom position locked and probably up to the second position before the top. So I have to hold the button down and have to physically pull the handle out. After about the second locking position it'll move a bit easier. I can see scratches on one side of the handle pipes so I'm guessing one or both of those got bent... 

3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah the handle struts could have got deformed slightly whilst fully extended - they really don't like a lot of weight from the side when fully out.

If you undo the screws at the top you can at least find out which one has the problem or if they both do, and might be able to wiggle them about, subtly bend / persuade them back to where they should be. Also check none of the screw receptacles have got bent forcing screws to weird angles.

Worst case scenario might be that you have damaged or cracked the main brace that bridges the suspension arms to the main chassis as documented in @Rawnei's recent thread. Is your suspension suddenly stiff too ? Hopefully not, as that is major ball-ache to remedy.

I didn't really notice anything off with the suspension. I rode down stairs and hit some pot holes all fine. I do have the kuba links installed and still trying to find the right psi for the rockshox shock. 

I'll double check but hopefully it's not the main brace... 

7 minutes ago, trailless said:

It's from the bottom position locked and probably up to the second position before the top. So I have to hold the button down and have to physically pull the handle out. After about the second locking position it'll move a bit easier. I can see scratches on one side of the handle pipes so I'm guessing one or both of those got bent... 

Yeah so it's bent/dented/misaligned, you could take it out and see if you can fix that, otherwhise you would have to order a new one.

8 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I don't think that happens so easily, so far nobody reported same problem as me and my problem was that it had flexed causing misalignment, bending and cracking was done by my hands. 🙂 But regardless they need to make that part stronger evidently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

so far nobody reported same problem as me

Yeah I reckon many people have that problem in the post, or here already and don't yet know it. It is in a place that is all but impossible to see any part of without full and complete disassembly of the machine ! But yeah, agree it is unlikely to have been caused by a gentle side-over, though it happened to Rawnie and his suspension, despite his exceptionally careful riding and stairs avoidance ! So can't be ruled out.

Edited by Cerbera