Begode Master 134V 2400WH Suspension

onkeldanuel

The crazy headroom is a big draw for me as well, but also for the probable lack of speed throttling down to low battery (when riding at my usual for-fun speeds). Really looking forward to a teardown, I want to see the linkage design. The EX20S looks like it would be a joy to work on - assuming/hoping the Master has a similar construction.

2 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

This has clearly been sped up, no Begode wheel has ever beeped that fast and other videos of Master testing show it beeps like ever other Begode wheel. Plus, the camera shakes are a bit too erratic to be natural. It feels like whoever made this video is being purposefully deceptive...

A few videos Iā€™ve seen Iā€™ve wondered the same thing. The gravity of the rider sometime is a giveaway the way their body bumps about.Ā 
when I speed ramp my videos if you go to 110-120% it nearly looks natural but looks faster (depending on how fast original ride was)Ā 

To have a unicycle with a 50mph "safe" (not cut out) speed is an exciting idea. I am not sure how far you can ride with the peak output of the 3.5kW motor (at 50mph the motor should be near its nominal output) and the battery of only 2,400Wh. Voltage sagging and battery stress at this performance will inevitably lead to both, short range and, worse - risk of battery damage. Is it even possible to engineer together the desire for a super-fast high performing machine with a durable long-range battery?...

Ā 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, That Guy said:

To have a unicycle with a 50mph "safe" (not cut out) speed is an exciting idea.

Can't the Monster Pro go up to 55? This is assuming the speedometer is correct but this guy got 55.9mph/90kmh on a Monster Pro. I'd say a 5-6mph (~8-10kmh)Ā  buffer is pretty decent for safe (assuming this guy was on the redline about to cutout), but some people might desire more of a safety margin

Ā 

• Like 1

Monster Pro need -8% speedometer correction, but yes it can reach 50mph/80kmh, should be similar to other speed wheels, maybe a bit more

EXN beeps around 47mph full battery

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I might buy one like 2 years after people have been riding it. I don't want to be a test dummy.Ā :rolleyes:

I also don't want to be a Guinea pig risking limbs, lives, or homes either, but I doubt I would be able to hold out for two years.

Also, I think it is going to be complicated when the times come. Buying a two year old wheel is going to be hard to do.

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

Also, I think it is going to be complicated when the times come. Buying a two year old wheel is going to be hard to do.

Not for me.Ā :D

I'll take out a screwdriver. Look inside, clean, silicone gaps, dust off the control board. Look for burned connectors. I have a rider history. Weight, max speed, etc. I'll measure all the cell groups in the packs. Check for corrosion. I guess I'll have to learn about how to inspect the suspension.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I'll take out a screwdriver. Look inside, clean, silicone gaps, dust off the control board. Look for burned connectors. I have a rider history. Weight, max speed, etc. I'll measure all the cell groups in the packs. Check for corrosion. I guess I'll have to learn about how to inspect the suspension.

Ā Interesting. Kudos to you. That would be a sensible way to go.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I absolutely need to learn to do this - most of my wheels are used and at some point I figure things are going to break down inside.Ā 

• Upvote 1

@BleepBloopBlopĀ It's an interesting thought.

I'm not sure averages can be used to predict this accurately however, since riding can have a lot of peaks during accelerations, braking.
If you have access to log data, it could be interesting to slice into different buckets and see what draws the most power. Just an idea, I don't know what I'm talking aboutĀ :D

• Like 1

I'm talking about a combination of conditions. Any one condition can be refuted but what about when they all happen at the same time? 40C ambient temp climbing? -5C emergency braking after a fast charge in the cold? There are many combinations out there.

When you put low current cells in a relative low 4P configuration in the fastest wheel ever made, you ARE cutting the safety margin ever thinner and thinner.

The stress level per cell is going to be higher than other wheels. More stress equals a higher likelyhood of failure (somewhere down the line...)

I'm not saying don't buy. I want a Begode Master too. But I buy knowing it's a wheel design stretched thinner than many other wheels out there. If I get a 50E it's NOT going to be optimized for current critical situations, and if I do push it, I will be prematurely aging the packs requiring careful monitoring and maintenance (to ensure no fires etc).

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

You all should tell the RS-HT owners how dangerous their wheels are with their current high capacity cells.

Jason has. Any owner of the 900Wh packs who had the fires would definitely now comprehend the warnings. There wiil still be many who will continue to be passive and hope all is well. Riders who abuse their batteries on a continuous basis, and not monitor their packs carefully will be exposed to great risk with time.

• Upvote 1

Can someone check my arithmetic because it doesn't quite make sense to me. This is a 32s4p configuration, that means 32 * 4 = 128 cells are providing the current to the motor.

I'm going to assume the MOSFETs, connectors, drive circuits, motor windings and all other aspects are fully up to the task for the following question.

How much current can I send through the wire between the controller and the motor?Ā https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.htmlĀ 

10 AWG stranded wires coming out of the controller seems to be traditional, this wire sizing would imply the designers expect to see up to 52 A flowing to the motor ā€” 400 mA per cell. Maybe they're using 8 AWG solid wire, that's good for 586 mA/cell. Continuous operation, PVC insulated. More current in the wires than that and you have OG Shermans on overheat hill (didn't they 'fix' that by adding a fibreglas insulation oversleeve?). Either way, the per-cell demand is pretty low, well under 0.5C.

Yeah yeah yeah, these are continuous numbers. What about peak demand? Shaquille O'Neal doing his best MJ lean to zoom around that car when he's already at 45 mph and he hits a bump. Call that say, 10x the power demandā€”and remember we're already at the limit of what we should be sending through our motor wire for any length of time. That's still only 4 A per cell if the wires are 10 AWG, under 6 A for 8 AWG.

Ā 

I don't know for certain, but based solely on how the motor wires are sized, and if my arithmetic is correct, you don't need high discharge rate batteries for their current, you'd only really take advantage ofĀ their lower internal resistance/lower sagā€¦ and that might actually truly save you if you punch it at 5% battery.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

From information I received the current batch 50E (50E2/3) is performing much better than what those lygte-info tests show.

50evs50e2.thumb.jpeg.8d8315eddc2548b12e51705159b9faef.jpeg

Edited by Rolzi
  • Like 1