Begode EX20S 3600wh: 100V, suspension, 104lb

4 hours ago, EMA said:

sliders design is good without stiction, linkage is well done. one of the most pleasant wheel to ride, fullsend blind in the night without issue :D

Cool, I know a guy with a Master, might do a comparison, thanks for the info. 

23 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

So guys, after reading this entire thread is this info accurate?

- if soft mode works properly on this wheel, don’t update firmware

- performs comparably to an EXN

- doesn’t require protection due to its all metal casing (sans top seat) 

- battery pack corners could be problematic, add protection if riding off road

- suspension is similar to the shock on the KS-S18 

I sold mine for a master pro so I should be able to answer most of these.

The latest software update fixed soft mode for me

EXN has more torque

The battery corners are definitely vulnerable but the casing is very strong. Put baby corner protectors on it if you're concerned.

Suspension is the best I've tried so far. You won't need to upgrade it. It's far better than the master pro suspension.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/10/2022 at 1:39 PM, Ben Kim said:

So guys, after reading this entire thread is this info accurate?

- if soft mode works properly on this wheel, don’t update firmware

- performs comparably to an EXN

- doesn’t require protection due to its all metal casing (sans top seat) 

- battery pack corners could be problematic, add protection if riding off road

- suspension is similar to the shock on the KS-S18 

Something to note is that the stock tire vs. a street tire changes a lot of the ride feel. When I first got mine, I got a Michelin Pilot Street 2 on there right away so I never got to experience the stock tire. I let some folks ride it to feel out the wheel and for those who liked it enough to buy it found the stock tire to be a more cumbersome experience.

As for the suspension, the linkage on this wheel is unique compared to the other Begode suspension wheels. Even at low psi to my riding weight, I've never bottomed out the suspension and someone joked that I looked as still as a statue even on the bumpiest group rides. 

I used to have full exercise mat protection on the batteries but have since removed them. The corners are where the wheel would get hit at all, so corner protectors would be good. I did get into a 35 mph crash on this wheel and the only damage was the top metal seat frame being bent up. Had to bend it back into place. Rim and Battery came away unscathed, no professional repair needed.

• Like 2

Is there a solution to the trolley handle not locking in the up position?  It locks securely in the down position but not up.  I heard in involves a dremmel tool but do not remember the solution.  Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Paradox said:

Is there a solution to the trolley handle not locking in the up position?  It locks securely in the down position but not up.  I heard in involves a dremmel tool but do not remember the solution.  Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks!

I have the same problem with mine. Funny part is another local rider also got the same wheel recently and his locks in the up position perfectly. 

I got my EX20 a couple of days ago and set it up in medium mode. I have discovered a tiny amount of 'stuttering' when I sit on it but not moving (once I'm riding it seems fine). I changed to soft mode and the stuttering is terrible - I think others have encountered the same. Haven't tried hard mode yet.

I recall a mention of a firmware update, but also recall that some people had issues with the app crashing part way through the update and 'bricking' (at least temporarily) their wheel. Is there a recommended firmware version, and is there a fix if something goes wrong during the update? Is it work doing the update or should I just avoid soft mode for the time being? Thanks in advance for any advice...

3 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

I got my EX20 a couple of days ago and set it up in medium mode. I have discovered a tiny amount of 'stuttering' when I sit on it

I agree they are slightly disconcerting noises, but I think that's normal - my Master certainly does it if you sit on it stationary with feet on ground - I have always assumed it was because of contradictory inputs from rider weight on seat and feet in contact with ground. My bet is that hard mode will do it less, and soft mode more, as you have reported.

Edited by Cerbera

4 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

I got my EX20 a couple of days ago and set it up in medium mode. I have discovered a tiny amount of 'stuttering' when I sit on it but not moving (once I'm riding it seems fine). I changed to soft mode and the stuttering is terrible - I think others have encountered the same. Haven't tried hard mode yet.

I recall a mention of a firmware update, but also recall that some people had issues with the app crashing part way through the update and 'bricking' (at least temporarily) their wheel. Is there a recommended firmware version, and is there a fix if something goes wrong during the update? Is it work doing the update or should I just avoid soft mode for the time being? Thanks in advance for any advice...

Sounds like you lost the EX20S firmware lottery, I think certain wheels came with oscillating firmware; others are fine (like mine). 

the Begode firmware update is finicky but on an iPhone, what I would recommend is rebooting your phone before trying the update. I recall having an update fail 10x on my EX.n before I rebooted the phone and it updated successfully afterward. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

My wheel does not suffer this problem.  I am in soft mode with no stuttering. 

13 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

Just got mine 2 days ago and ran into the same situation. It's a fairly simple fix. Undo the sex bolts that hold the trolley handle to the trolley sliders, and remove the handle with the plungers that go into the sliders. It will lift straight off. Next, undo the 4 small screws at the top of the EUC where the sliders go into the tubes, and remove the screws and the small stainless steel plates (2 each side) that cover the plastic guides. You'll find that, with the plates removed, the handle will come up far enough to lock into place since the black plastic guides (which are held down by the stainless plates) can rise up a tiny amount. The issue is with these two plastic guides - they are very slightly too long, and block the bottom of the sliders from coming up far enough for the little button to engage in the hole which locks it in place. So, remove these two black plastic guides (one each side) and carefully remove about 1.5mm (1/16") of material from the bottom of each guide. You could use a dremel, a file, careful use of a hacksaw, or sanding tool of some kind (I used a drum sander; a random orbit sander would also work just fine but be careful, you don't want to remove too much material). Reinstall everything and if it still doesn't lock at the top, take a tiny bit more off (you could do one at a time just in case).

Given I did not have access to a dremel or any sanding type product, what I discovered was if loosen the 4 screws from the brace that secures each leg, I simply reapplied more threadlocker, and reinstalled the screws with about 1mm of space so that the brace isn't fully locked down on the trolley.  I threw some VHB tape over the screws to prevent them from rattling from not being tightened down properly and as insurance in case those screws ever come completely loose.  Trolley works like a charm; all you need is a Philips head screwdriver.  Trolley handle itself did not need to come out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Given I did not have access to a dremel or any sanding type product, what I discovered was if loosen the 4 screws from the brace that secures each leg, I simply reapplied more threadlocker, and reinstalled the screws with about 1mm of space so that the brace isn't fully locked down on the trolley.  I threw some VHB tape over the screws to prevent them from rattling from not being tightened down properly and as insurance in case those screws ever come completely loose.  Trolley works like a charm; all you need is a Philips head screwdriver.  Trolley handle itself did not need to come out. 

Yes, that would work too - I'd probably put some sort of spacer under the stainless plates to allow the plastic guide to move up and therefore give the rail some additional upwards travel to click into place. Then you don't have to worry about things rattling or screws coming undone.

13 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Sounds like you lost the EX20S firmware lottery, I think certain wheels came with oscillating firmware; others are fine (like mine). 

the Begode firmware update is finicky but on an iPhone, what I would recommend is rebooting your phone before trying the update. I recall having an update fail 10x on my EX.n before I rebooted the phone and it updated successfully afterward. 

I tried the firmware update (via the Begode app on Android) and it went off without a hitch. The stuttering is gone now, even in soft mode. :-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Mantraguy said:

Yes, that would work too - I'd probably put some sort of spacer under the stainless plates to allow the plastic guide to move up and therefore give the rail some additional upwards travel to click into place. Then you don't have to worry about things rattling or screws coming undone.

I tried the firmware update (via the Begode app on Android) and it went off without a hitch. The stuttering is gone now, even in soft mode. :-)

Actually duh, I could put the vhb under the brace, that makes more sense than over :) 

thanks! 

@Seba

Just curios if other riders of this wheel see abnormal wh numbers in EucWorld.  I went on a 50 mile ride last night and the app shows a total wh usage over 3000wh.  The app shows I finished the ride with a battery with over 50% left.   Sounds like something is off or am I misunderstanding something here?

https://euc.world/tour/616052461145189

image.thumb.png.71211da4f10b960348441d1abd354c59.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradox said:

@Seba

Just curios if other riders of this wheel see abnormal wh numbers in EucWorld.  I went on a 50 mile ride last night and the app shows a total wh usage over 3000wh.  The app shows I finished the ride with a battery with over 50% left.   Sounds like something is off or am I misunderstanding something here?

https://euc.world/tour/616052461145189

image.thumb.png.71211da4f10b960348441d1abd354c59.png

I see nothing wrong with those numbers, I did a 47 mile ride at faster top/average speeds than you and ended up with 88.1V at the end of my ride. 

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

I see nothing wrong with those numbers, I did a 47 mile ride at faster top/average speeds than you and ended up with 88.1V at the end of my ride. 

I am questioning the 3000wh used.  Wouldn't that take the remaining battery left to lower than 50%?  Leaving only 600wh left.  Is it even possible to use 3000wh on a 3600wh battery?  Wouldn't that take me below some safety level?

20 hours ago, Tawpie said:

FWIW, I only pay attention to voltage... it's the only thing that truly matters!

So what is tilt back voltage on this wheel?  I have heard roughly every 5v is 20% battery.    I am not sure exactly of the numbers though...  Anyone?