Begode EX20S 3600wh: 100V, suspension, 104lb

On 5/4/2022 at 12:17 PM, BleepBloopBlop said:

The main thing is there is no need for high discharge cells when you have 8 cells in parallel. The high capacity cells offer all the current discharge needed and isn't a weak point in this 3600wh packs.

Even if Begode transitions up to a 134V system you would still have 6 cells in parallel. In my opinion 75A output current from the packs from 50E cells will be sufficient. (6P x 15A (non continuous rating) = 75A output current.

It is easy enough to switch the cells to 40T but at a 20% reduction in capacity I don't see that being needed. 

Wouldn’t it help with acceleration and braking? I don’t know much about batteries though

On 5/4/2022 at 12:17 PM, BleepBloopBlop said:

The main thing is there is no need for high discharge cells when you have 8 cells in parallel. The high capacity cells offer all the current discharge needed and isn't a weak point in this 3600wh packs.

Even if Begode transitions up to a 134V system you would still have 6 cells in parallel. In my opinion 75A output current from the packs from 50E cells will be sufficient. (6P x 15A (non continuous rating) = 75A output current.

It is easy enough to switch the cells to 40T but at a 20% reduction in capacity I don't see that being needed. 

So the 40t cells would provide little to no advantage to top speed, but will help with accelerating and braking?

58 minutes ago, Gingomx said:

Wouldn’t it help with acceleration and braking? I don’t know much about batteries though

Acceleration and braking comes from you leaning, pads and foot position can help with leaning, high discharge cells could however potentially help prevent overleaning.

The key takeaway for high discharge cells would be that you have a much higher safety margin for the cells before they take damage from us riders pushing them too hard which theoretically is a common scenario and not something you notice until you have a damaged cell/pack. Also much less sag which is nice if you are riding with low battery or in cold weather.

• Like 3

On 5/28/2022 at 3:09 PM, GoGeorgeGo said:

Im thinking since it was so easy to do, i will just start lubeing it down every 500 miles or so. Took maybe 25-35 minutes to take it apart, clean everything, lube, and reassemble. 

I used PB Blaster dry lube because its safe for use near plastics which means it wont corrode my sest or wires or anything if it accidentally got on some (it did)

blaster-lubricants-16-tdl-64_600.jpg.7450b61dfcad5f748002fdd5e97f5760.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I'm approaching 500 miles too, and a lot of my favorite routes touch dusty trail areas, so this seems like the right time to get this maintenance in. I do feel that the suspension isn't as buttery smooth as it was when I first got it, so this may just be the trick.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 11:31 PM, occugeist said:

I am wanting to put a street tire on my ex20s. Will the 90/90-14 fit or do I need to wait for the 80/90-14 to come back in stock?

Let me know if you give it a shot. I want a street tire on mine. Wondering how hard it’s gonna be to change it out. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

⚠️🚨⚠️ Whatever you do do not use the begode app to update the firmware. If it doesn't shake in Soft mode leave it the hell alone. There are seemingly no protections against downgrading firmware to a broken and unsafe version, and begode may not be releasing a known good version of the firmware to update to for several weeks. I will not be able to ride my new wheel for an indefinite amount of time.

3 hours ago, widdershins said:

⚠️🚨⚠️ Whatever you do do not use the begode app to update the firmware. If it doesn't shake in Soft mode leave it the hell alone. There are seemingly no protections against downgrading firmware to a broken and unsafe version, and begode may not be releasing a known good version of the firmware to update to for several weeks. I will not be able to ride my new wheel for an indefinite amount of time.

What happened when you upgraded, does the wheel just not turn on anymore or is there just a critical functionality bug with the latest version? 

Do you have a C30 or C38? It looks like there's two versions of the C30 FW to try in the app if you have the C30 version. 

17 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

What happened when you upgraded, does the wheel just not turn on anymore or is there just a critical functionality bug with the latest version? 

Do you have a C30 or C38? It looks like there's two versions of the C30 FW to try in the app if you have the C30 version. 

What happened is 1. it now sends speed in mph, and 2. it now oscillates violently the moment it is put in Soft mode. Reportedly it does so even in Hard mode once you hit 30mph.

I have a c30 wheel, and both of those "two versions" in the app are the same. There is no working version of the firmware available in the app, per Begode representatives.

On 8/2/2022 at 3:45 PM, widdershins said:

What happened is 1. it now sends speed in mph, and 2. it now oscillates violently the moment it is put in Soft mode. Reportedly it does so even in Hard mode once you hit 30mph.

I have a c30 wheel, and both of those "two versions" in the app are the same. There is no working version of the firmware available in the app, per Begode representatives.

So does your wheel work in medium mode?

On 3/31/2022 at 5:53 PM, GoGeorgeGo said:

No worries. Yes the firmware is available via the begode app. There was only c38 version avaiIable until a few days ago they just added the c30. There was a little hiccup with the c38 firmware running on the c30 motor but thats been smoothed out by this new update. Im liking medium mode the most currently. Might try a longer ride on soft and see if i can get used to it but it feels really exaggerated with the suspension movement and is a bit to soft at the moment imo. Jard mode is also nice though, its really dealers choice

I didn't upgrade my firmware at all upon receiving the wheel. It occurred to me that I never put my wheel in soft mode, and lo and behold, it shakes violently in soft mode. Yikes! However, I have taken my wheel to 30+ mph in hard mode often and haven't encountered any crazy shakes, so my wheel is still decently rideable.

Have you tried taken your wheel up to 30+ mph in hard mode with the upgraded firmware you have? Mind you, sounds like you upgraded your firmware way back in March so I wonder what they changed since then.

11 hours ago, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

I didn't upgrade my firmware at all upon receiving the wheel. It occurred to me that I never put my wheel in soft mode, and lo and behold, it shakes violently in soft mode. Yikes! However, I have taken my wheel to 30+ mph in hard mode often and haven't encountered any crazy shakes, so my wheel is still decently rideable.

Have you tried taken your wheel up to 30+ mph in hard mode with the upgraded firmware you have? Mind you, sounds like you upgraded your firmware way back in March so I wonder what they changed since then.

yeah i ride in medium mode and have hit 46-47 mph no issues. i did update it months ago though and as always, once i have a working firmware i dont upgrade it unless there is a critical update. 

not sure if there have been any chages to the firmware since when i updated

44 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Am I understanding this right, the current EX20S has an oscillation problem of sorts? Like the various wheels before that had oscillation issues at some point? Or is it something different?

in regards to the softmode, very different, since it happens at zero mph and makes the wheel completely unrideable in soft mode. the very first firmware update resolved it though. so only first batch units are affected. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, techyiam said:

Just curious, what is the highest speed that you are comfortable cruising at on your EX20S, ball park figure?

i ride between 35 and 40 generally. i tend to top out around 42 on most aggressive rides 

Edited by GoGeorgeGo
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

MICHELIN City Grip 2 Front/Rear Scooter Tire - 90/90-14 (52S) https://a.co/d/4vij28y

just grabbed one of these for my ex20. gunna try to fit it on next week. couldnt find an 80/90 14 but i think there is probably enough room to fit this bad boy. we will find out soon enough

Michelin City Grip 2 ONLY comes in 90/90-14 (there is NO 80/90-14 option) so will be much wider at approx. 90mm-92mm fitted!

I have one myself in anticipation to fit to a wide rimmed wheel that I know for a fact it fits, but be aware that in particular on the Master people have had to space out the battery packs in order to achieve enough clearance.

Your experience on the EX20S may be similar to the Master and require spacers, especially if the measurement between the battery packs is less than at least 100mm!