Begode EX20S 3600wh: 100V, suspension, 104lb

9 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Interesting, the T4 also goes down to 72v. You’d think it would be a 3.25v wheel. 

What is the latest firmware version for the Ex20s?

11 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Ez to check with a smartphone from https://freestyl3r.github.io/euc-dash/ 
(No app needed; it uses a browser bluetooth API)

GW2003001

this is what came stock, I, like Ben also bought through Alien Rides black friday sale 2 weeks ago.

I cant tell if theres anything wrong with it, people use the term ocillating so broadly i dont know what it even is describing anymore.

Im 150lbs, using a street pilot 2. I do notice, long incline/declines at around 35mph, few small bumps in succession can lead to very minor and slow pedal dipping, tilting forward, not enough to risk bricking or "upgradading" to what potentially could ruin one of my riding modes, they all seem to be okay for me.

I wonder if, in the event I upgrade to the latest firmware, and I dont like it, could I pull off the trick roger was trying to show for bricked masters, in one of his latest videos, and reset/flash the board, not sure if it brings it to a factory firmware, or just to a state where you could flash the firmware safely to the latest. but ifit canbe flashed to the factory firmware, that could possibly an option, for those who dont like the latest to try, and see if it is ny better and report back to us, so we know our options. again, just a deep theory

other than that, what version dowe allhave, and what quirks have you noticed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZweemZ said:

I too bought the AlienRides wheel.  It is also running GW2003001 firmware.  I experience the same slight pedal dip going up a grassy hill.  Not a big problem.  I opened the Begode app and can't find the firmware anywhere.  I don't know if any update is available.  I still have the stock CST tire on it.  It's taking a bit to get used to the lean behavior.  It's quite dramatic at times.  I am 155lbs geared up.   It's been a tad difficult getting used to the weight but it is getting better.  I did have to dremmel the lift handle a bit to get it to lock in the up position.  I have started learning how to ride seated on this beast.  It's like learning how to ride all over again.

Is the ex20s susspension the same dimensions as the Master's? it seems the legnth is, 190mm. But what about the eyelet size, i think the ex20 is to fit a 20mm rod

So, this is a oil filled, coil-over, shock that marty is really impressed with. I'm excited to try it since the sherman s uses oil filled shock (w/o linkage) and feels amazing.

it seems relly impressive, it's listed as 550 lbs, and there are options for 1000, and 1500lbs, seems like overkill. I'm wondering how that will be for a 150 lb rider such as myself. I'm looking for an oil filled coil over shock with a compression ajustment in addition to the dampening and coil adjust that this one has.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093T1SCL9?th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=martybacke-20&linkId=24929e2a23c24f956f9fb85cb1a4de5e&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&psc=1

as featured in martys video replacing the rear suspension for his master.

...are there any higher end shock suggestions you guys have?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZweemZ said:

..are there any higher end shock suggestions you guys have?

3 hours ago, ZweemZ said:

Is the ex20s susspension the same dimensions as the Master's? it seems the legnth is, 190mm. But what about the eyelet size, i think the ex20 is to fit a 20mm rod

So, this is a oil filled, coil-over, shock that marty is really impressed with. I'm excited to try it since the sherman s uses oil filled shock (w/o linkage) and feels amazing.

it seems relly impressive, it's listed as 550 lbs, and there are options for 1000, and 1500lbs, seems like overkill. I'm wondering how that will be for a 150 lb rider such as myself. I'm looking for an oil filled coil over shock with a compression ajustment in addition to the dampening and coil adjust that this one has.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093T1SCL9?th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=martybacke-20&linkId=24929e2a23c24f956f9fb85cb1a4de5e&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&psc=1

What don’t you like about the stock shock? It doesn’t bottom out, doesn’t rebound like a pogo stick, and gives me enough pedal feel to not miss my non suspension wheel. I wouldn’t change a thing! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

What don’t you like about the stock shock? It doesn’t bottom out, doesn’t rebound like a pogo stick, and gives me enough pedal feel to not miss my non suspension wheel. I wouldn’t change a thing! 

good points, it's fine i guess... i just view "pedal feel" as resistance from the linkage and sliders, esp for a light rider like me (150lbs). It's likely due towhat i just mentioned, the many contact points on the linkage and slider collums.

Im just curious to know if this could feel a little more, like how the sherman feels, even though iknow youre not particularly impressed by it, i felt it was easy to move, free moving, "responsive," I mean if marty is swearing by it, its GOTTA be good right lol.

the thing that bothers me is that the coil is for 550lbs so, i guess it will still have a fair amount of "resistance" for someone my wieght.
------------------------------

btw, seen these YT videos before, he did mention that there are $400 ones, curious to know which ones he ment, havent seen any suggested elsewhare.

6 hours ago, Paradox said:

17 hours ago, ZweemZ said:

good points, it's fine i guess... i just view "pedal feel" as resistance from the linkage and sliders, esp for a light rider like me (150lbs). It's likely due towhat i just mentioned, the many contact points on the linkage and slider collums.

Im just curious to know if this could feel a little more, like how the sherman feels, even though iknow youre not particularly impressed by it, i felt it was easy to move, free moving, "responsive," I mean if marty is swearing by it, its GOTTA be good right lol.

the thing that bothers me is that the coil is for 550lbs so, i guess it will still have a fair amount of "resistance" for someone my wieght.
------------------------------

btw, seen these YT videos before, he did mention that there are $400 ones, curious to know which ones he ment, havent seen any suggested elsewhare.

fox float

15 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

fox float

Thanks, George, yeah i had looked into that after you had mentioned it briefly in your video.

I keep seeing the Fox Float "DPS" for about $275-350, which seems to be their basic model. I seen their main advantage seems to be weight saving, which doesnt really matter much when im not exherting myself to "carry" it, so, if thats the main reason why it costs so much i will pass. I need to look at more comparison reviews and see what people are saying, I know nothin.

There is also the more pricier Fox models, the DPX and the X2 models, which seem beefier, and have that extra canister thing, that may fit in the ex20s, but maybe not on some of these tighter spaced susspensions begode is making now a days,(ex30 has the same linkages as the t4 btw).

Re: why "upgrade" the shock, I think its not a bad idea to invest in a quality shock, if its justified, and you know you could swp it to a master, T4, or the ex30 if you decide to get one down the line.

After viewing this review, I trying to merit what fox float shock would be good for such a heavy device, im wondering if the DPS will get fatigued considering the demands that the ex20s will be putting on it compared to the average mountain bike ride. most bikes that these shocks are built for, are way lighter than the 80lbs of extra EUC that is resting on the ex20s shock. and they arent reaching 40-50mph, so perhaps something like the DPX or the X2 would be better suited with its larger volume of canister.

Edited by ZweemZ

On 11/29/2022 at 12:32 AM, ZweemZ said:

GW2003001

this is what came stock, I, like Ben also bought through Alien Rides black friday sale 2 weeks ago.

I cant tell if theres anything wrong with it, people use the term ocillating so broadly i dont know what it even is describing anymore.

Im 150lbs, using a street pilot 2. I do notice, long incline/declines at around 35mph, few small bumps in succession can lead to very minor and slow pedal dipping, tilting forward, not enough to risk bricking or "upgradading" to what potentially could ruin one of my riding modes, they all seem to be okay for me.

I wonder if, in the event I upgrade to the latest firmware, and I dont like it, could I pull off the trick roger was trying to show for bricked masters, in one of his latest videos, and reset/flash the board, not sure if it brings it to a factory firmware, or just to a state where you could flash the firmware safely to the latest. but ifit canbe flashed to the factory firmware, that could possibly an option, for those who dont like the latest to try, and see if it is ny better and report back to us, so we know our options. again, just a deep theory

I neglected to document the firmware version that came on my wheel (C30), but I too bought it from AlienRides a day or two into their November 2022 sale. I noticed some minor oscillations in medium mode, but the jerking was terrible in soft mode and would not have been rideable like that so I upgraded. My current firmware version is GW2003002 and it seems to have fixed the oscillation problems, at least in soft mode. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mantraguy said:

My current firmware version is GW2003002 and it seems to have fixed the oscillation problems, at least in soft mode.

When I open the Begode app I do not find the firmware anywhere.  I must be missing something that is hiding in plain sight.  How did you do the firmware update?

Edit:  I realized I needed to make an account and log in to see the other options.

Edited by Paradox
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

I neglected to document the firmware version that came on my wheel (C30), but I too bought it from AlienRides a day or two into their November 2022 sale. I noticed some minor oscillations in medium mode, but the jerking was terrible in soft mode and would not have been rideable like that so I upgraded. My current firmware version is GW2003002 and it seems to have fixed the oscillation problems, at least in soft mode. 

ocillations, can you explian in different terms". is it soft/hard irregularities in ballancing while riding? or like wobbling effects?
and so the occilation you described in medium mode, its not in hard mode?
and occilation has not chaanged for any mode it was in since the GW1003002 update?.

"jerking" is that an exagerated version of the "ocillation" you were dscribing in other modes? or an entirly different issue? is it rigid/rapid ballancing ajustments? at what speeds? durrig accelleration?

im 150lbs, are we similar weight? wondering if that might affect my sensability of these types of issues, im usually able to sense this stuff, and it seems to be relativly fine for me otther than slight dipping bouncing on inlines/declines.

sorry for all the probing questions, no need for heavy reply, I just want it documented since there are no listed "update logs" and no ability to revert.

8 hours ago, ZweemZ said:

ocillations, can you explian in different terms". is it soft/hard irregularities in ballancing while riding? or like wobbling effects?
and so the occilation you described in medium mode, its not in hard mode?
and occilation has not chaanged for any mode it was in since the GW1003002 update?.

"jerking" is that an exagerated version of the "ocillation" you were dscribing in other modes? or an entirly different issue? is it rigid/rapid ballancing ajustments? at what speeds? durrig accelleration?

im 150lbs, are we similar weight? wondering if that might affect my sensability of these types of issues, im usually able to sense this stuff, and it seems to be relativly fine for me otther than slight dipping bouncing on inlines/declines.

sorry for all the probing questions, no need for heavy reply, I just want it documented since there are no listed "update logs" and no ability to revert.

What I was referring to was, with the older (3001) firmware, I'd put the wheel in soft mode and very gently apply forward pressure with my hand (I was not standing or sitting on it). It would immediately pulse back and forth rapidly (hence the term oscillations), as if trying to find centre, overshooting, going back overshooting again, and so on. The wiggle at the top of the wheel was probably about 1/4" or so but I can't imagine trying to ride it like that. I did notice a much smaller amount of this 'jerkiness' in medium mode but it would go away when I stopped applying pressure. In soft mode, it would continue until I turned the wheel off or changed it back to medium mode. I didn't try it in hard mode. Since updating the firmware to 3002, this oscillation is gone. I hope that makes sense. You'll know instantly if your wheel has this issue (switch to soft mode and give it a little push forward). If not, I don't see any particular reason to update the firmware (although I've heard that the newer firmware on some wheels sets the low battery alert to less voltage per cell... but that's another issue entirely).

On 11/29/2022 at 7:23 AM, ZweemZ said:

Has anyone tried the shock that Marty used for his Master? I don't think the 190mm is available with a 550lb spring but you can get it with 650lbs. Not sure if the other measurements (eyelet diameter etc.) are compatible with the EX20 but I have heard of others replacing the stock shock with a spring shock with good results so I'd like to consider doing the same. I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone this route.

On 12/3/2022 at 5:46 PM, Mantraguy said:

Has anyone tried the shock that Marty used for his Master? I don't think the 190mm is available with a 550lb spring but you can get it with 650lbs. Not sure if the other measurements (eyelet diameter etc.) are compatible with the EX20 but I have heard of others replacing the stock shock with a spring shock with good results so I'd like to consider doing the same. I'd love to hear from anyone who has gone this route.

ive done this mod, been riding it for about 2 weeks now, and I am pretty satisfied with the feel of the coil over hydraulic susspension, when tuned right it will gobble up the imperfections of the road WAY better, but you loose a little bit of a tacticle feel on turns because you cant tell where you are on the sus travel compared to the progressivly stronger feel that an air shock gives to let you know you are at the bottom of your susspension travel, giving you confirmation on how to handle that carving or turning scenereo the best possible way.

but yes, I got the 650lb coil, because the amazon prime listing (that allows no question returns) sold out of 1000 and 1500lb coils is way too weak for someone like me at 150lbs, I would suggest something closer to 1500. the 650 bottoms out on something as simple as jumping high curb, but anything lest than that is just unnoticable. its like butter, honestly reminds me of howresponsive the sherman s was. and the rebound control is verry good as well.

in terms of install, its pretty straight forward, you do need a vice to press out the spacers in the eyelets, to jump from 8mm eyelets to 12m... and even then, theres a thin plastic ligning to the 12mm eyelet hole that ensures it is snug on the rods, but you will need to use something like a woodwoorkers clamp to push the rods through the linkage/eyelets, because that plastic ligner adds resistance (intentionally).

to press out the eyelet 8>12mm adaptor you will have an easier time, using one of the alluminum sleeves that help center the shock on the rod, they are hollow tubes, that the eyeled can easily be pressedinto, then the otherside find a stubby rod or screw maybe.

Edited by ZweemZ
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 2:17 PM, ZweemZ said:

ive done this mod, been riding it for about 2 weeks now, and I am pretty satisfied with the feel of the coil over hydraulic susspension...

That's good to know. I'm going to try something slightly different: I've ordered an Exa Form 382RL 190mm x 50mm shock with 1000lb spring from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004431891884.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.552218027rYZlR

It has a slightly different adjustment mechanism in that the single adjustment lever adjusts both rebound and compression damping. At the extreme end, compression is almost completely locked out (not sure that's much use for an EUC but it indicates there's a fairly wide range of adjustment). 

After watching a video that disclosed the fact that the Master (with stock linkage) gained its full range of suspension travel with only 20mm of shock travel (of the 50mm available from the shock), I wanted to know if the EX20 had similarly terrible linkage ratios. I completely deflated the stock air shock and fully compressed the suspension, then measured the actual suspension travel and the actual shock travel as I inflated it again. Actual suspension travel was close to 70mm (measured), while the shock travel to get all that was in the range of 33mm. Still not ideal since the shock has 50mm of travel but only uses ~33mm of that, but much better than the ~20mm of shock travel that is reported for the Master.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

That's good to know. I'm going to try something slightly different: I've ordered an Exa Form 382RL 190mm x 50mm shock with 1000lb spring from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004431891884.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.552218027rYZlR

It has a slightly different adjustment mechanism in that the single adjustment lever adjusts both rebound and compression damping. At the extreme end, compression is almost completely locked out (not sure that's much use for an EUC but it indicates there's a fairly wide range of adjustment). 

After watching a video that disclosed the fact that the Master (with stock linkage) gained its full range of suspension travel with only 20mm of shock travel (of the 50mm available from the shock), I wanted to know if the EX20 had similarly terrible linkage ratios. I completely deflated the stock air shock and fully compressed the suspension, then measured the actual suspension travel and the actual shock travel as I inflated it again. Actual suspension travel was close to 70mm (measured), while the shock travel to get all that was in the range of 33mm. Still not ideal since the shock has 50mm of travel but only uses ~33mm of that, but much better than the ~20mm of shock travel that is reported for the Master.

oh great stuff, thanks for reporting that, this is really interesting and helpful to know,

that shock, you say it has compression adjustment, do you mean the nut that tightens the coil? because all i see is that lever, that seems to be the rebound adjustment only, maybe im confused

I have been very curious to know why the ex20 is often regarded as the "best" begode susspension (for all around cruising). one thing to note, the rods for the shock eyelets, the ones that are deep in the wheel, not the one sticking out, they rest in dedicated areas on the linkage on the ex20s, not on the same rod that the lincage connects the linkage to the joint that rests right over the fork of the susspension, thats how it is on the master, and i assume a lot other begod susspensions, so that it can be made smaller.... also, the shock absorber is aiming down and out, similar to twhats happening on the KS s20, aside from the hero, another favorite, th rest of the lesser liked susspensions, are these smaller, flimsier, linkages, where both ends of the shock share critical linkage rods rather than on a more intuitive dedicated location on the linkages. also the shocks on the sucky susspensions aim up and away from the wheel, unlike the ex20s and the hero.

Edited by ZweemZ

10 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

EX20 has a good linkage, i friend of mine measured 40mm of shock travel, not perfect but still really good

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 7:44 AM, Ben Kim said:

I see nothing wrong with those numbers, I did a 47 mile ride at faster top/average speeds than you and ended up with 88.1V at the end of my ride. 

euc world has a bug right now where it's often doing a conversion to miles twice; if you divide the max power, power per mile, total power consumption, and speed in the speed/current chart by 1.61 you'll probably see the right numbers. (in your case, 3000Wh / 1.61 = 1863Wh: half the battery, which is about right)

On 11/29/2022 at 4:43 AM, Paradox said:

It's taking a bit to get used to the lean behavior.  It's quite dramatic at times.

get a tire with a real rounded profile on there, this wheel is too heavy to have tires with a big lip on them like that unless you are exclusively riding on soft ground. even then there are better tires to get