INMOTION V12

Mike Roe

7 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

Can you post it here?

Not sure how I would post the video from Instagram.  Hopefully he will make a youtube.com video.

Thanks. So much for those "beefier MOSFETs", I guess. Its depressing to think that even if you are willing to shell out more money and you are willing to accept lower perfomance you seemingly cant buy a solid, dependable wheel anymore. The manufacturers really need to get a handle on this, this is seriously damaging for our sport.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Now thats worst Case for IM , the only Things that Not should have been Happen for the Brand New HT with all the promised safety Updates is a random cotout or a fire 

• Upvote 1

unless WrongWay burned mosfets in his v12ht, its a diff prob than the one these new driver boards are addressing.

it is nevertheless concerning esp if there was no reason for the cutout (like over lean, bump etc)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm saddened to see in motion having so much difficulty with the V12. Once it is fixed (confirmed though plenty of miles from owners with no random cutouts) both the HS and HT should be great options for anyone needing a compact wheel. 

In my opinion we have enough performance, manufacturers need to focus on making what have work. Riding with no fail safe in the event of a cutoff means we need to be confident. Even a relatively low speed cutoff like wrong way had could be a disaster if 60 plus lbs hit a child (or adult for that matter). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paul g said:

The V12 is my first wheel. From the very day I received it, the cutout problem was announced. And even before I get the new controller board, this cutout on the HT has happened. Does anyone know if the new controller board is the same as the HT model?

Edited by Tel01

9 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

In his pic the wheel turned back on. Don't think it's a burned mosfet. Looks to be something else. Unless I am mistaken

my mosfets burned when braking, the wheel leaned back and continued going ahead after I jumped off it

it would be interesting if the reason for cutout would be the battery 

Edited by Paul g
add stuff

On 5/21/2022 at 3:12 PM, Paul g said:

I’m thinking of buying Molicel batteries and replacing the standard ones offered by InMotion in the pack if InMotion doesn’t seem to do that. In my view a quality wheel must come with quality battery.

I hope you have the expertise and experience that’s required to make a quality battery pack.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, Paul g said:

And please @Cecily Inmotion @Inmotion Global stop sending the V12HS with that shit tyre.

If you’re talking about the CST C-1488, it is probably the most common EUC tire. There’s no question if there are better ones available now, but there are also worse.

14 hours ago, Tel01 said:

Does anyone know if the new controller board is the same as the HT model?

Not exactly the same, no. At least the mosfets are of a different size and model.

• Upvote 1

On 5/22/2022 at 6:18 AM, Paul g said:

And please @Cecily Inmotion @Inmotion Global stop sending the V12HS with that shit tyre. You make yourselves and the V12 owners no service by doing that. I just can’t describe you how much all V12 owners hate that tyre! That tyre is not designed for EUCs, and performs truly horrible on one. I now have to disassemble the entire wheel and change that tyre with a ChaoYang-H-5167(- thanks to the guys on the forum for the tip 💚) ! And I’ll also have a used tyre that I’ll have to sell on ebay because I hate throwing tyres at rubbish, they are a really bad pollution problem for our world. All this effort and money spent without any reason! I would have spent much less money if you would sent me the proper tyre. 😤

Are you talking about the CST C-1488? I think it's alright. Not really much offroad grip, but for a lot of casual riders it's enough. Turns alright IMO. Don't get me wrong it could be better, but it could also be worse. The true evil is GW installing the CST knobby on all their wheels... abysmal turning ability. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If you’re talking about the CST C-1488, it is probably the most common EUC tire. There’s no question if there are better ones available now, but there are also worse.

If it is common might be for a reason: is it cheaper?, is it lighter( and make the eucs look lighter)?, etc. I always feel like I ride on the edge of a knife because that tyre is shaped like a knife. When you try to take a turn you’re thrown in that steep angle and there is no way of getting out of it unless you fall or straighten again the wheel perpendicular to the ground. It is so limiting and so annoying! A EUC tyre has to have a round profile. No straight strips! That tyre is the worst I’ve experienced. You might know worse that that, I don’t even wanna know what worse then that could mean 😂. For me the tyre can make a EUC good or awful. Of course there are people that are OK with whatever, even the C-1488 that sends the wheel at the angles it wants not the ones the rider wants. But I want to be able to control the wheel in the minutest detail. I want to choose the angle of riding, not the tyre for me. I want to enjoy it, not frustrate me constantly.

14 minutes ago, HEC said:

Thanks, I'll try search again as I was unable to find any ... Would you happen to have an Item or Store link on Ali?

Unfortunately I can’t, because I’m in the Aliexpress app, not on the browser. The app might show you things you don’t find on Aliexpress site.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul g said:

If it is common might be for a reason: is it cheaper?, is it lighter( and make the eucs look lighter)?, etc. I always feel like I ride on the edge of a knife because that tyre is shaped like a knife. When you try to take a turn you’re thrown in that steep angle and there is no way of getting out of it unless you fall or straighten again the wheel perpendicular to the ground. It is so limiting and so annoying! A EUC tyre has to have a round profile. No straight strips! That tyre is the worst I’ve experienced. You might know worse that that, I don’t even wanna know what worse then that could mean 😂. For me the tyre can make a EUC good or awful. Of course there are people that are OK with whatever, even the C-1488 that sends the wheel at the angles it wants not the ones the rider wants. But I want to be able to control the wheel in the minutest detail. I want to choose the angle of riding, not the tyre for me. I want to enjoy it, not frustrate me constantly.

agreed... i always feel i have to pull the tire into corners, but if i pull too hard i am suddenly turning too sharply.

carving therefore, does not go smoothly. i have 2000 miles on the tire now and i mostly compensate automatically

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evans036 said:

agreed... i always feel i have to pull the tire into corners, but if i pull too hard i am suddenly turning too sharply.

carving therefore, does not go smoothly. i have 2000 miles on the tire now and i mostly compensate automatically

I bought my V12 new, and it came with a CST-1488. I don't seem to share the same experiences with turning. Doing 180 in an alley is great. No pedal dipping and easy to do. Going about 30-40 km/h through a side street to side street, small traffic circle is intuitively smooth. So is going straight at about 50 km/h, then brake a touch and then make a right turn into a side street at speeds between 30 and 40 km/h. Also, carving along a straight away or general maneuvering is all fine.

I don't get wobbles now, but I can use more stability at 50+ km/h speeds, especially over bumpy roads.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul g said:

I have ridden a V10F with the factory C-1488 tire and when that was done I rode it with the Ching Shen 5102 tire (the one with the Nike swoosh in the profile). Let me tell you that the 1488 was a vastly better tire, it was much lighter and I think it gave me a good bit more range too. The 5102 tire is also much more squirrelly and has that tendency to fall deeper into a curve when you lean. I dont even remember the 1488 having that trait like you say it has but the 5102 is much worse in that aspect at any rate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul g said:

I always feel like I ride on the edge of a knife because that tyre is shaped like a knife. When you try to take a turn you’re thrown in that steep angle and there is no way of getting out of it unless you fall or straighten again the wheel perpendicular to the ground.

That sounds like the traditional issues you’d get with too much tire pressure. How much are you riding with?

Another thing that comes to mind: Do you know of a tire that you like more? ‘Cos it sounds like you might not know of one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've become a K66 fan boy! Any 14in (actual motor size) wheel I own or will get is having a K66 installed until something even better comes along. 

I can't thank @mrelwoodenough for turning towards the K66. 

Keep in mind it is heavy though, it's a scooter (vespa type scooter) all season tire. It handles dry pavement to off road very well. Only thing it doesn't do is deep sand and mud, I don't recommend riding in mud and deep sand isn't very fun on any tire anyway. 

Buying a K66 takes time and shipping is not cheap but it's worth every penny. I have 1k miles on the one on my RSt and it barely shows any wear too so the longer change cycles make up for the cost difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use the tyre at the pressure recommended by the manufacturer, but I totally understand people using them at a lower pressure. I also used it like that when I was learning to ride and it is a completely different feel. I won’t ride my euc at lower pressure than indicated in the specs because I like to use my unicycle full spectrum and I don’t wanna break the rim. Unfortunately my V12 had let me down exactly when I supposed to have most fun with it 😭  The bad thing about 16in wheels is you don’t find a European made tyre, like Michelin 😢  
     I don’t have extended experience with, but had the chance to try the one on the KS-S20 at the PET store, and I wanna thank them for that! and, by the way, is lovely (when not doing tight turns because it ends up riding on that ridge it has on the side). You feel held like in the palm compared to the C-1488 where you have constantly the sensation you gonna fall. Obviously, it is a limited tyre, which I also don’t recommend, unless you intend to use for long, straight rides. I also tried a KS 16X, but had the same C-1488 at lower pressure and some other toys that were not eucs.

one doesn’t need to be a genius to realise why one doesn’t like the tyre is riding - my 1 cent!

• Like 1