Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Of course it comes down to speed but from normal riding you should get at the least around 80km (50miles) of range.

speed, and payload

14 minutes ago, Crab said:

I should add that most of yesterday was 16mph average in the app, peak speed was 26.2. The speed that I saw the most looking down while on the Centennial trail was between 32-38 kph.

if you want imperial units with a fun marching ant on the wheel's display, it is possible (but you do have to create a login with KS in order to get to the secret setting screen)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

if you want imperial units with a fun marching ant on the wheel's display, it is possible (but you do have to create a login with KS in order to get to the secret setting screen)

Interesting, I’ll have to log in since I have not done that in a long time.

1 hour ago, Crab said:

🎈 👀

Why the Chinese spy balloon differs from a weather balloon

Spoiler

https://www.wqad.com/article/weather/ask-andrew/spy-balloon-weather-balloon/526-f67ad950-a12c-44a9-9d55-7369f1c33ed2

February 8, 2023

The People's Republic of China claimed the recent spy balloon was used exclusively for weather research.

U.S. officials, including the Pentagon, have confirmed that the balloon spotted across the Midwest last week was indeed a spy balloon that originated from China.

The balloon itself was 200 feet tall with a payload that weighed at least a couple thousand pounds.

This is vastly different from any type of balloon that would be used for meteorological purposes. 

Time in the Sky

A typical weather balloon can only survive for around one to two hours, reaching a similar height to the recent spy balloon, around 60,000 feet.

Weather balloons begin with a width of about six feet before expanding to nearly 20 feet wide once they reach the stratosphere.

At this point, the balloon can no longer expand and it explodes, sending the instrument package plummeting back to Earth.

Length of Travel

Because weather balloons spend a brief time in the sky, they don't travel more than one hundred miles on average.

They are at the mercy of the upper-level wind patterns.

With the spy balloon, it had been floating in the atmosphere above portions of the United States since Tuesday, Jan. 31, traveling thousands of miles away from its original launch point.  

Purpose

Weather balloons are launched twice per day from various locations in the United States, including right here in the Quad Cities.

These give meteorologists a 'profile' of the atmosphere, telling us everything from temperatures to pressure.

Attached to the balloon is a small, lightweight data pack about the size of a small book that takes these readings. 

While we don't yet fully know exactly what the spy balloon was collecting while making its way across the United States, we do know that it was equipped with some ability to navigate itself and it also had a significant payload attached that was the size of three school busses, according to U.S. officials

It's widely known that spy satellites exist, however, former U.S. Government officials believe that a surveillance balloon is more capable of gathering higher-resolution images, and in some cases, up to 22 times more information than a satellite because of its closer proximity to the ground and the fact that it can remain stationary for longer periods of time. 

So, in summary, no, a 'weather balloon' could not travel to the United States from China in the context and specifications listed above. 

The bearings on my S22 pinned motor received in November went bust, went from no noise, to squeaky to really noisy in less than a week (few days at most).

I will be swapping them to SKF bearings with some additional grease around the waterproofing seal, my reseller MyEwheel will send me new side covers with the bearings pre-installed for me and I will install those myself.

While opening and inspecting the motor there is a lot of dirt on the bearings, Swedish winter conditions is no joke but I'm also guessing the outer seal was also missing or didn't have enough grease, I don't know if motor factory applies any grease around the seal (anyone know?) but I think that is a critical step in making any seal truly water and dirt resistant.

Rest of motor is clean only bearings are dirty.

20230211_132545.thumb.jpg.19ba0d8fd9093a2be6e9b4d702027ded.jpg

20230211_132532.thumb.jpg.68e4171cf966cae647cef64eda339845.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Crab said:

Looks like missing to me? My seals seemed a bit dry and it was recommended I use some CRC Ptfe spray around them, seemed to do the trick.y

007715A5-6E29-44D9-A0A2-AF30CC094FBD.jpeg

3C4857C6-CC3C-49A9-A64B-26AABCA900B0.png

PTFE is dry lube, you want grease there to seal the gap, difficult to do without disassembling motor.

23 minutes ago, Crab said:

856A6DED-8A27-44CC-BEA0-A9ED379F1C02.png

I don't know what you want me to read from this, the point is that you want grease to seal the gap between the axle and the seal, that's where the water comes in despite having a seal.

23 hours ago, Rawnei said:

The bearings on my S22 pinned motor received in November went bust, went from no noise, to squeaky to really noisy in less than a week (few days at most).

I will be swapping them to SKF bearings with some additional grease around the waterproofing seal, my reseller MyEwheel will send me new side covers with the bearings pre-installed for me and I will install those myself.

While opening and inspecting the motor there is a lot of dirt on the bearings, Swedish winter conditions is no joke but I'm also guessing the outer seal was also missing or didn't have enough grease, I don't know if motor factory applies any grease around the seal (anyone know?) but I think that is a critical step in making any seal truly water and dirt resistant.

Rest of motor is clean only bearings are dirty.

20230211_132545.thumb.jpg.19ba0d8fd9093a2be6e9b4d702027ded.jpg

20230211_132532.thumb.jpg.68e4171cf966cae647cef64eda339845.jpg

Was there the rubber seal on it that should be there or no? 

Now at 115 miles in a week, I’m thinking it’s a keeper.😎

I’m going to add my buddy’s opinion on the street tire, he is now on the CST 186. He said due to the more rounded profile it wanted to tip one way or the other and not just stay straight up at slower speeds, after riding his I noticed the knobbys gave it a much more squishy feel. That would take a bit of time to get use to imo, street tire feels much more planted. Now with that said, the few times I got off on grass on mine it was very loose and unsettled.

Edited by Crab
  • Like 1

i only have ridden two suspension wheels, the ones i presently own. the s18 is about as good as a suspension wheel can get, but my s22 amateur isn't far behind after 100 miles and a few wd-40 and other spray lubricant baths. 

i figured something has to give. all this up and down with my fine myakka sand mixed with the lubricants, the battery box rails and sliders sb mating up pretty well. it seems to work fine. i have lots of oak tree roots under my road and scars i've put in it with my box blade, and i ride pretty much straight legged and still my feet don't leave the pedals. that wasn't the case with my old straight axle wheels, my feet would disengage the wheel and come back down in the same position.

if u push down on a fender of a sports car, u will see there's no bounce. but push down on a caddy, or an old station wagon, and they will bounce for awhile. the s22 is more sports car and the s18 is more caddy like.

after 100 miles, i'm even hating this jiluer tire less on the s18. might put the michelin street pilot 2 on the s22 instead, although after grinding down the center nub, it works pretty well. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Crab said:

My buddy Randy was itching to print this weekend, ez peezy install. I was surprised how soft this can be, no experience with printed parts.👍

94C94819-A4B4-4737-BAF0-56709298FFA7.jpeg

3D printing is really cool... if I had time for another hobby I'd be all in. Joyfully though, I have wheels. (I get the feeling wheels are less frustrating, even with all of their 'quirks')

Kingsong Roller sliders being problematic again, little more annoying this time. Started to feel about the same as stock no rollers, but terrible squeaking noises, found a few broken wheels on one side when I got it apart. I've just replaced them with the white Aliexpress rollers, 4 on each side.

While both claim to be 5x24x7mm sizes, the Kingsong ones are actually around 24.3mm diameter, while the Aliexpress ones are more accurately between 23.9 and 24.0. This gives a looser fit and much less stiction, and nice slide into the frame. I also found all of the Aliexpress wheels to slide or press on nicely, no hammering required, although some were still too loose and needing gluing to the peg (the peg's fault), and that the Aliexpress material seems to be a harder POM while the Kingsong ones are a softer more rubbery material. 

Still need to test durability but I think these are the ones being used in other sliders and seem to make a huge difference in making the kingsong ones behave like they should.

PXL_20230216_193815135.jpg

PXL_20230216_200233771.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg

Edited by chanman
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, chanman said:

Kingsong Roller sliders being problematic again, little more annoying this time. Started to feel about the same as stock no rollers, but terrible squeaking noises, found a few broken wheels on one side when I got it apart. I've just replaced them with the white Aliexpress rollers, 4 on each side.

While both claim to be 5x24x7mm sizes, the Kingsong ones are actually around 24.3mm diameter, while the Aliexpress ones are more accurately between 23.9 and 24.0. This gives a looser fit and much less stiction, and nice slide into the frame. I also found all of the Aliexpress wheels to slide or press on nicely, no hammering required, although some were still too loose and needing gluing to the peg (the peg's fault), and that the Aliexpress material seems to be a harder POM while the Kingsong ones are a softer more rubbery material. 

Still need to test durability but I think these are the ones being used in other sliders and seem to make a huge difference in making the kingsong ones behave like they should.

PXL_20230216_193815135.jpg

PXL_20230216_200233771.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg

think the white ones are made out of nylon?

https://www.newprocess.com/acetal-plastic-vs-nylon-plastic/

17 minutes ago, novazeus said:

think the white ones are made out of nylon?

supposed to be POM, but until a lab takes a sample it's just words on a webpage and they are just a hard while plasticy substance

Edited by Tawpie

I thought it was POM but the order page actually says POM or PA (nylon) so I guess I'm not sure, I see it's split between the black and white ones. But yeah unless somebody's doing some proper materials tests we are just taking it at their word anyway.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832581978393.html

Edited by chanman

woop woop! freemotion, where i bought my s22 from is sending out the new king song sliders.

the timing sb about when the v13 shows up and a michelin street pilot 2 tire for the s22! 

gonna be like having two new wheels if i can change the tire. never did a tire change on anything. 

i believe the roller bearings on the drawer guides on all the diebold undercounter equipment i installed had nylon rollers. never saw one of them fail. ever.

be interesting to see what freemotion/king song is sending out!

my s22 will be semi-pro!

Edited by novazeus