Fire History

Asphalt

5 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

This is a custom pack by the looks of it. It's three oddly shaped packs daisy chained. I'd prefer to look at 900Wh packs but this one does appear to be the LG 21700 cells, if I'm not mistaken.

Ah, not the usual 4x900Wh packs then? Looking further, some of those interconnects have woefully inadequate welding points. Though, if it's a custom build, doesn't help us much when referring to stock Begode packs. Interesting nonetheless.

I'm interested in any begode pack failures related to 21700. Are LG cells more suceptible to corrosion?

I know they heat up more than other cells so one theory is that by heating up and cooling down a lot they accumulate condensation.

LG cells are also perhaps more sensitive to corrosion or has more severe short circuiting which could be a reason why packs with other cells don't burn.

I wish there was a 900Wh teardown thread. 

Edited by alcatraz

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

I'd like to see any begode pack failures related to 21700. Are LG cells more suceptible to corrosion?

I honestly don't think that the LG cell itself is the problem here. Theres just too many reports where it wouldn't be a factor (fires on unused/very little used wheels etc).

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

I wish there was a 900Wh teardown thread. 

Thats the money shot right there. We desperately need a 900Wh teardown, with detailed pics!

Edit: I did forget about @RagingGrandpa test of the 900Wh pack here which shows a fair bit of the pack. It does indeed look OK construction-wise in the pic I have to admit.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

900Wh teardown, with detailed pics

I did one: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZtHDAs2XNasUEY37

The BMS PCB has been revised multiple times during production with 21700 M50T (which has now ended and changed to 48X, 50E, and M50LT). But every pack I'm aware of used the same style of frames and interconnect.

AM-JKLWgFzCJ5lZw36CNj1DXUxU7u_6JshRF8K3kYsbC1BvB5oaxM--T-bXjUWMv2KTCcqni8wPcpIZ9hQbKKC6cAm2WmlbnftZ6Ujq-CXzGX9omITyo8rcHgzfF18h6DmiBkS0_vS1ACEatYrHLQF4ePgwdMw=w887-h1181-no?authuser=0 AM-JKLVWrdwBgqrC0G-whgAcImNFiu-dARopTj3hdhKPLL3ynE6tIbKz_DiOsWjR4iXI2iIQqoHBtO6ZuCoaJ5CAznPfHZI9IYxdkccA93XhKN0dLc3rowhfwrYcp8gdSiTp39VbUmVAtHz9RlKgAq0F32iV2A=w887-h1181-no?authuser=0

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Here is a Monster Pro pack
Screenshot_20220107-162626.thumb.jpg.e3a8b29a669ac316d01e41194fd17808.jpg

What?!

That has nothing in common with an original Gotway/Begode pack!
And it's 7p!
Wrong strips, wrong BMS, wrong output connection, no frame... very sketchy.

The EUC on the table does not look like MonPro... an older Monster with a custom 3rd-party pack then?

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

What?!

And it's 7p!

The EUC on the table does not look like MonPro... an older Monster with a custom 3rd-party pack then?

This looks like in the teardown of a gotway with a failed horror custom battery from one of the aliexpress resellers:

• Like 1

Ive heard it theorized that its specifically something about the 4p 1800wh configuration that us causing the fires. We have seen other wheels burn, but NO where NEAR as many as 1800wh packs.  Perhaps something about that specific configuration is to blame 

17 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I did one: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZtHDAs2XNasUEY37

The BMS PCB has been revised multiple times during production with 21700 M50T (which has now ended and changed to 48X, 50E, and M50LT). But every pack I'm aware of used the same style of frames and interconnect.

AM-JKLWgFzCJ5lZw36CNj1DXUxU7u_6JshRF8K3kYsbC1BvB5oaxM--T-bXjUWMv2KTCcqni8wPcpIZ9hQbKKC6cAm2WmlbnftZ6Ujq-CXzGX9omITyo8rcHgzfF18h6DmiBkS0_vS1ACEatYrHLQF4ePgwdMw=w887-h1181-no?authuser=0 AM-JKLVWrdwBgqrC0G-whgAcImNFiu-dARopTj3hdhKPLL3ynE6tIbKz_DiOsWjR4iXI2iIQqoHBtO6ZuCoaJ5CAznPfHZI9IYxdkccA93XhKN0dLc3rowhfwrYcp8gdSiTp39VbUmVAtHz9RlKgAq0F32iV2A=w887-h1181-no?authuser=0

What?!

And it's 7p!

I can't see the cells and the nickel strips in any of those pics.

I posted that pic because it's (lg) 21700 cells and corrosion. I wanted to ask you if the dead cell group on your experiment pack were corroded? Were the positive poles by any chance facing down at the bottom of the pack?

EDIT: I saw yo replied in the other thread. Thx.

I'm not making any concrete conclusions. Just collecting data.

One theory is that LG cells heat up and cool down so much that they cause condensation to form inside the packs.

Edited by alcatraz

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/01/09/more-than-30-people-have-life-threatening-injuries-after-bronx-fire/

January 9, 2022

New York fire kills 19, mayor’s office says

Victims were found ‘on every floor, in stairways,’ New York Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said.

A fire at a New York apartment complex killed 19 people on Sunday, the mayor’s office said, nine of them 16 or younger.

The fire started in a duplex apartment in the 19-story building and spread quickly through an open door, authorities said at a Sunday afternoon news conference.

The cause of the fire is under investigation, but authorities said it does not appear to be “suspicious.”

“We expect there to be numerous fatalities, but we don’t know yet,” Nigro said. He cited “severe smoke inhalation” as the predominant cause of injuries.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

First responders remain at the scene of an intense blaze at a 19-story residential building that erupted in the morning on Jan. 9 in the Bronx borough of New York. (Scott Heins/Getty Images)

One day, this could be a tragedy anywhere in the world, caused by a self combusting Gotway......

imrs.php.jpg

• Like 1

Any pev has the potential for disaster. With the push for more electric vehicles people aren't fully aware of the fire and smoke risks of lithium batteries. Lithium iron phosphate batteries are safer from fire but still produce toxic smoke. Anyone living in high density housing should be fully aware of the fire risk, mitigation of said risk or not have devices with lithium batteries. As of now safe battery technology isn't here for the type of energy needed for our small vehicles.

Gotway knows that they have faulty battery packs that are self igniting.

There are numerous documented cases, including:

The Portland, Oregon fire that self combusted at night, while the owner was asleep. 

The two fires in Stockholm, Sweden.  One confirmed as a Gotway, the other suspected to be caused by a Gotway.  Two homes were destroyed, occupants within at the time.

The recent Gotway fire in Brazil, recorded by a security cam.

Ewheels has taken it upon themselves to have a third party assemble battery packs to replace the Gotway ones.

Ewheels were undertaking a recall that has been delayed because of the warehouse fire.

They had made special provisions in the warehouse to store Gotway battery packs, with commercial refrigeration.

Apartment fire in Brooklyn, NY has 17 fatalities thus far.

Gotway has not acknowledged the issues, or implemented a recall.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Apartment fire in Brooklyn, NY has 17 fatalities thus far.

Gotway has not acknowledged the issues, or implemented a recall.

Wait, are you saying that this fire was confirmed to be caused by a Gotway wheel?

2 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Wait, are you saying that this fire was confirmed to be caused by a Gotway wheel?

It’s been confirmed by the fire investigation unit as a faulty space heater. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul A said:

No, the fire in the Brooklyn apartments has been stated as to have been caused by a heater.

Okay, please be careful with your phrasing, this "17 fatalities thus far. Gotway has not acknowledged the issues" thing implies a direct causation link between the two ⚠️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fortunately, luckily, no deaths yet caused by the numerous Gotway fires.

The Brooklyn tragedy demonstrates the lethality of a fire in an apartment complex.

The inaction of Gotway to implement a world wide recall of a known battery pack issue, is placing the lives of people at risk.

Bronx Apt fire. Residents fled their apt and left the door open. Space heater was the cause. 
Two houses in Sweden burnt down. It’s only a matter of time until a PEV fire causes deaths.

the Begode Boyz love going a bit faster and safety be damned. Manufacturers willingly oblige, as they have no worries about legal repercussions. 

All i know: Don't buy Gotway, be happy.

We as euc community should: show newcomers and everyone, that Gotway is horrible company, who simply don't care if you die or not.. 

Sure they make "awesome" wheels, BUT and it's big BUT.. They are dangerous.

Even this forum should show on front page that, Gotway is fire hazard. (Legally we would get in trouble sadly).

Do Gotway even provide replacement wheel if it burns down? Legally they should.. Especially if the warranty isn't over. (It's now proven fact that they are fire hazards, could be sued)

Edited by Funky

6 minutes ago, Funky said:

All i know: Don't buy Gotway, be happy.

We as euc community should: show newcomers and everyone, that Gotway is horrible company, who simply don't care if you die or not.. 

Sure they make "awesome" wheels, BUT and it's big BUT.. They are dangerous.

Even this forum should show on front page that, Gotway is fire hazard. (Legally we would get in trouble sadly).

Do Gotway even provide replacement wheel if it burns down? Legally they should.. Especially if the warranty isn't over. (It's now proven fact that they are fire hazards, could be sued)

I agree, people should buy Begode instead

1 hour ago, GothamMike said:

Bronx Apt fire. Residents fled their apt and left the door open. Space heater was the cause. 
Two houses in Sweden burnt down. It’s only a matter of time until a PEV fire causes deaths.

the Begode Boyz love going a bit faster and safety be damned. Manufacturers willingly oblige, as they have no worries about legal repercussions. 

More houses on fire windy night than all gotway wheels in 7 years, i hope people will stop buying wind

• Like 1

https://www.usa.gov/federal-agencies/consumer-product-safety-commission

Consumer Product Safety Commission

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) protects the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under its jurisdiction, including products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children.

Report incidents, injuries, or safety concerns

Contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission

Report an Unsafe Product

• Asphalt changed the title to Fire History