Fire History

Asphalt

22 minutes ago, Bizra6ot said:

I agree, people should buy Begode instead

Yeah Begode is way better, i wonder if they changed their name because of something.. Like being a shame of them self and trying to forget past.

Companies don't normally change their name just for fun.. (Like it mattered, people still call them Gotway)

Example of an incident report.

https://www.saferproducts.gov/PublicSearch/Detail?ReportId=1837564

Report Summary

29 YOM consumer's electric unicycle started making popping noises. Consumer unplugged it and took it outside. It caught on fire and gave off explosions. Fire was put out with a fire extinguisher. Battery of the unicycle was involved in the incident. No one got injured.

Product Details
  • Product Description: Product Name: Ninebot One E+ Product Type: Personal Mobility Transportation Device - Electric Unicycle Product Purpose: Commute, leisure, recreation, transportation, etc. Other Descriptions: Self-balancing wheel, single-wheel, EUC (electric Unicycle),
  • Manufacturer/Importer/Private Labeler Name: Ninebot US Inc
  • Brand Name: Ninebot
  • Model Name or Number: Ninebot One E+
  • Serial Number: N2OEA1525A2071
  • UPC Code:
  • Date Manufactured:
  • Retailer: Reseller
  • Retailer State:
  • Purchase Date: 8/18/2015
  • Product Category: Sports and Recreation
  • Product Type: Cycling, Scooters, Skateboards & Skates
  • Product Code: Unicycles (1283)
Associated Recall
Incident Details
  • Incident Description: I have been riding Ninebot One E+ to work everyday on it, also as a main mode of transportation, for the past 3.5 years in the San Francisco Bay Area, and even take it to nearby beaches such as Half Moon Bay, Monterey or Big Sur when it's sunny here in Northern California. Within a few minutes after the device started making a few popping noise when the power was off, it suddenly exploded and burnt in a vicious fire. I was extremely lucky and no one was hurt. This could have been much, much worse. I could have lost my right leg, I could have died or the entire apartment could have burnt down causing even more casualties. .This is when I realized the sound--and potentially the smell too--was coming from my beloved 3 year long friend. My instinct now as sharp as blade, I knew I needed to do so something. ~11:45AM - I started hearing popping noise. Initially believed to be coming from outside, only to discover nothing outside the front door. ~11:50AM - Noticed repetitiveness in the noise, occurring every 30 seconds to a minute. ~11:55AM - Started smelling something acrid. Starting to be concerned. ~12:00PM - Found the source of the sound (and potentially the smell) 12:01PM - (film shot, of the device making noise) ~12:02PM - Being super safe, I went to the power strip and turned it off ~12:02PM - Then unplugged the cord from the power strip, ~12:03PM - Then unplugged the cord from the unit. ~12:03PM - I raised the handle bar and tried to grab it from the end of the handle bar as usual, but I didn't. Instead, I grabbed the center of the handle and supported with my left hand under the foot pedal so I don't accidentally agitate the unit too much and trigger it to explode. (VERY RISKY) ~12:03PM - I took it outside and leaned it against the immediate exterior wall I was able to get access to. ~12:09PM - I heard a loud explosion with a small fire when I turned. Immediately, one or two more louder and bigger explosions occurred and followed by much bigger fire, creating fizzing sound and burning everything the battery was wrapped in violently. This lasted for a minute. 12:10PM - When the fire was weakening, the property manager luckily was outside and who saw this happening ran towards me to aid and grabbed the fire extinguisher. I knew I had to document this. (photo available)
  • Incident Date: 2/24/2019
  • Incident Location: Home/Apartment/Condominium
Victims Involved
  •  
  • Injury Information: Incident, No Injury
  • My Relationship to the Victim: Self
  • Victim's Age When Incident Occurred: 29 years
Comments from the Manufacturer/Private Labeler
  •  
Additional Details
  • Submitter has product?: Yes
  • Product was damaged before incident?: No
  • Product was modified before incident?: No
  • If yes to any, explanation: I still have the product in the original broken state, outside my home. Contacted manufacturer but avoiding responsibility.
  • Have you contacted the manufacturer?: Yes
  • If Not, Do you plan to?:
  • Report Number: 20190301-27CB4-2147382416
  • Report Date: 3/1/2019
  • Sent to Manufacturer/Importer/Private Labeler: 3/13/2019
  • Report First Publication Date: 3/27/2019
  • Category of Submitter: Consumer

________________________________-

It seems that Ninebot had actually already ceased to sell the EUC according to a incident report dated June 28, 2016.

Incident Report | 6/28/2016 | 20160603-57A9F-2147418076

Incident Description:   Product is a Ninebot Model P purchased from Ninebot US. The Ninebot P electric unicycle was released in November of last year. Only one shimpment was released in the US as it was immediately pulled from further delivery and US pre-orders were canceled. This was a national, as well as international product "pull" from the mfg, Ninebot Inc. All US distributors were notified that no further shipments would be received. NO reason was provided but is was so sudden and without warning.

48 minutes ago, Funky said:

horrible company, who simply don't care if you die or not

Your comment seems serious (not sarcastic).

But it is based on anecdotes and emotion, and not measurable evidence.

We have lots of evidence to the contrary, demonstrating design emphasis on safety. Gotway/Begode EUC's have far more robust design today, than they had 4 years ago (e.g. MSuper2 packs without input protection or cell frames). Now we're on 4th-generation 100V packs with updated cells, design-specific frames, design-specific strips, robotic welding, input protection, output protection, etc.
(Why would they bother with these non-performance-increasing improvements, if they "simply don't care"...)

The products are far from faultless, with the largest weakness seeming to be final assembly process controls. We should continue discussion on all aspects of the product that we find unsatisfactory.

Just please calm down the rhetoric.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Bizra6ot said:

More houses on fire windy night than all gotway wheels in 7 years, i hope people will stop buying wind

I understand you like your brand, but do you really think its comparable? I like my KS also, but not behind grave.

55 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Your comment seems serious (not sarcastic).

But it is based on anecdotes and emotion, and not measurable evidence.

We have lots of evidence to the contrary, demonstrating design emphasis on safety. Gotway/Begode EUC's have far more robust design today, than they had 4 years ago (e.g. MSuper2 packs without input protection or cell frames). Now we're on 4th-generation 100V packs with updated cells, design-specific frames, design-specific strips, robotic welding, input protection, output protection, etc.
(Why would they bother with these non-performance-increasing improvements, if they "simply don't care"...)

The products are far from faultless, with the largest weakness seeming to be final assembly process controls. We should continue discussion on all aspects of the product that we find unsatisfactory.

Just please calm down the rhetoric.

Hey, i react to what i see.. As everyone does.

It doesn't really mater what protection they got, or don't have. If the wheel goes up in flames, And what i have heard, gotway has most cases. There's some kind of flaw in their design. And if the company doesn't fix it. They don't care. (Sure they would care, as it's in every companies interests.. But in my mind they don't and till i see all fixed they are horrible.) 

They got most problems what i heard. (Tell me if i'm wrong, please.) Like: "Hot plug", No fuses, Some time ago charging wires where connected directly to battery.. Not mobo. <<< Don't know if it all true, but at the end, for all I care is it to not go KABOOM in bonfire..

I personally love how they look, but i don't trust them. <3

Edited by Funky

On 1/11/2022 at 11:55 AM, Planemo said:

OK this sort of nonsense is getting on my nerves now. It's not the first time I have seen slurs thrown at Gotway riders as if they are in some way responsible for wheel fires.

The operative concept here is consumer responsibility. (Which is a much broader principle than just the tiny EUC market.)

• When you buy a product you are *financially* supporting a company, literally giving them capital they use to maintain and expand their business, continue their business practices, and reach more customers.
  • When you buy and publicly use a product and/or advocate for a particular product/brand (including online) you are also *socially* supporting a company, in a way that can and clearly does influence the purchasing decisions of other people and due to the nature of the internet potentially lots of other people (who may have made different choices had you and others like you either not done so or instead advocated for alternative products/brands).

So tell me again how you believe someone should be immune from judgment for financially and socially supporting businesses which are behaving badly?

It would be one thing if this was four years ago, and when it was more just about shoddy construction and wheels dying or cases cracking and falling apart. Or if someone owns a wheel from that time/years ago but now responsibly tells others to steer clear (as I do). But it's pretty clearly irresponsible to be advocating for such now, even after the explicit statements and actions by eWheels over the past year, and with statistics like this over just the past two years:

Frequency by Manufacturer [in the last ~two years]
Gotway: 20
Kingsong: 1

That's a potentially life-threatening Begode fire *every five weeks on average for two years straight*. After eWheels deemed them unsafe to sell without heavy intervention. After talks of blanket recalls on Begode-manufactured packs. We've long-since past the point of mere brand loyalty/fanboyism.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Upvote 2

So don't buy a Begode that was made in the last 2 years. Wait and see if the latest packs still catch fire.

If the wheels drop in price because of safety concerns I'd be interested to pick an RS up. I could try rebuild the battery pack myself, and add a smart bms.

I'm surprised competitive riders haven't looked at aftermarket packs already. The low current cells supplied in RS/EX.N/Nikola can be upgraded to high performance cells.

• Confused 1

Just found this by accident:

begode-rs-ht-fire-hawaii

Report of ElectricHero's Begode RS HT in Hawaii, Begode asked him to stay quiet in exchange for a free replacement.

Fire started ~4h after starting to charge. Exact date unspecified.

Source: YouTube comments from this Zen Lee video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLz9yK1OkNs

Possibly the first time Begode offers a LFP wheel as replacement for a li-ion one that burned down.

Edit: direct link to highlight the comment thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLz9yK1OkNs&lc=UgzMEkH8fMefqECv0dh4AaABAg

Edited by supercurio
Added direct link
  • Like 2

image.thumb.png.f118331e4b8f7f9d20a68ced3cd984f6.png

Edit: I see the comments on youtube, yeah seems like the guy was allegedly bribed by begode to not post about the fire. Where does it say this wheel was bought from by ewheels? Any word about it being the new packs vs the old LG's?

Edited by Denny Paul

14 minutes ago, Denny Paul said:

Edit: I see the comments on youtube, yeah seems like the guy was allegedly bribed by begode to not post about the fire. Where does it say this wheel was bought from by ewheels? Any word about it being the new packs vs the old LG's?

You're right, no mention the burned wheel was bought from eWheels, I edited. Thanks!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Just found this by accident:

begode-rs-ht-fire-hawaii

Report of ElectricHero's Begode RS HT in Hawaii, Begode asked him to stay quiet in exchange for a free replacement.

Fire started ~4h after starting to charge. Exact date unspecified.

Source: YouTube comments from this Zen Lee video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLz9yK1OkNs

Possibly the first time Begode offers a LFP wheel as replacement for a li-ion one that burned down.

Is there any more information about this RS HT fire?
I'd like to confirm that it is not a duplicate report of the RS HT fire on Jan 5, 2022. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Is there any more information about this RS HT fire?
I'd like to confirm that it is not a duplicate report of the RS HT fire on Jan 5, 2022. 

I think it is a separate fire, I found again randomly another mention in this other YouTube comment

I really appreciate this. I was the one with the most recent fire on all of the EUC pages â€Ĥ.Begode reached out to me to offer me a lesser wheel for me to not post about the fireâ€Ĥthey told me they didn’t even want to discuss what happened with the fire â€Ĥit’s time we take a stance and force these companies to make safer wheelsâ€Ĥmy entire apartment is gone thanks to them

"My entire apartment is gone tanks to them"
One of the worst fire consequences after the burned house.

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-59579626

9 December 2021

Transport for London bans e-scooters and e-unicycles from network

Transport for London (TfL) is to ban people from taking e-scooters and e-unicycles on its network even if they are folded and being carried, after a number of fires caused by the devices.

Tube passengers recently had to abandon a train at Parsons Green after a blaze, while another device held by TfL in lost property caught fire in October.

If they ban everything "E"... It will be very sad, what a horror just to think about.. :( From other viewpoint, duck them. I would simply put mine in big bag. To hide it. xD

Edited by Funky

1 minute ago, Funky said:

From other viewpoint, duck them. I would simply put mine in big bag. To hide it. xD

I think thats what more than a few riders are planning tbh. I can't imagine the world of $hit you would be in though if you had smuggled a banned item on the tube and it went up in flames. Let alone if people got injured/killed...

Plenty will risk it. There seems to be no end of riders happy to ride through the centre of London, directly into a police presence. I would be crapping my pants, I certainly don't want 3 points on my licence. I guess some don't have a licence or any intention of getting a car/motorbike. Or given that most police seem OK in giving verbal warnings they think that will also happen to them....but it only takes one nasty officer.

I understand rules are rules, but same time every rule made isn't great. And some people ignore them anyways, because some dimwit "higher up" made them and that's the norm for all.. Isn't it more manufacturers fault there.. They could simply make "safer wheels" I would pay 2x-3x the normal euc price, if i had 100% fire safety. Put them dam batteries in some kind amazing case or something.. How hard is it to make bomb safe casing anyways?

5 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Plenty will risk it. There seems to be no end of riders happy to ride through the centre of London, directly into a police presence. I would be crapping my pants, I certainly don't want 3 points on my licence. I guess some don't have a licence or any intention of getting a car/motorbike. Or given that most police seem OK in giving verbal warnings they think that will also happen to them....but it only takes one nasty officer.

Because it's the future.. Duck the haters.

Till we get solid state batteries. There's no winning.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 2:53 PM, Bizra6ot said:

I agree, people should buy Begode instead

More houses on fire windy night than all gotway wheels in 7 years, i hope people will stop buying wind

Dozens of home burned during Hurricane Sandy. Greenwich CT FD and FDNY could not put out the fires in 70 MPH winds. 
The Bronx fire was a space heater, which likely set fire to carpets and furniture. 

15 hours ago, Paul A said:

Supposedly higher energy density too.

Unfortunately not, they have significantly less energy density per volume than 18650 cells and also less than 21700 cells . They may have higher power density and not nearly as many problems with heat though. Thats because of the tabless design which gives them much less internal resistance. This doesnt take into account that one of them roughly equals five 18650 cells and a 5p equivalent battery pack can be assembled far more easily.

maybe a stupid question, but there exists 18650 and 21700 cells with or without individual build-in protection. This each cell protection should be able to take a step in case of charging issue, unbalancing etc. (probably no with physical dmg - Begode drilling). We have cheaper cells without it?

Edited by Miko.cz

4 hours ago, Miko.cz said:

cells with or without individual build-in protection

We need to be more specific to make that topic mean something...

Typical "cell-level protection devices" include:

1. Cell vents (pressure-relief devices) - these help reduce the likelihood of a violent bursting of the steel can. "CID" features in the cell-top also disconnect the cell, when they tear open from overpressure. This can help interrupt overcharging as well, because overcharging often causes overpressure.
  2. Passive current limiting devices - "PTC" materials change resistance when they get hot, and can be added inside the cell. These ensure the peak current cannot become excessive.
  3. Electrical voltage or current limiting devices - these are additional electric circuits added to a cell, to interrupt their connection if certain parameters are exceeded. These can be builtin to the cell wrap by adding a small PCB near the cell top.
  4. (and then lots of protection is possible at the pack-level, separate from the individual cells)

Any user application where individual cells are meant to be removed or replaced during use, are strongly recommended to include #3. (e.g.: flashlights and handheld vaporizers.) It addresses the possibility of a loose, spare cell (in your purse, pocket, etc) shorting to other conductive objects and starting fires.

Our most-implicated cell model, 21700 M50T, has #1.
I'm not sure if it uses #2 (PTC).
It does not use #3. No EUC cells do, because individual cells are not user-replaceable.

Bear in mind, there is no practical protection available that would prevent a cell from burning when exposed to an outside heat source. Thermal runaway is an inherent vulnerability of all Cobalt-type Li-Ion cells today.

AM-JKLVnCSEoHnQZ1xcXBKCl3OJCQOavVhhgI0732dMOeAJx1b1c8jY6OU4m9i7hPizwd0A2bithXbqXtR00gfekg1EWZn0ORKw7SmHpnnRsLb_fdtaA5xEqbWeISh85FoZ6eKoKnBjB7X8AAGxEyzbSv3Xyeg=w1272-h954-no?authuser=0

21700 M50T with blown CID vent (one cut open afterwards for inspection)

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2

• Asphalt changed the title to Fire History