Fire History

Asphalt

53 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

What is it with these early 900Wh packs? I don't understand how we haven't figured it out yet, somehow.

It's primarily because any and all evidence that might give us a clue is destroyed along with the rest of the wheel when they go up. It's frustrating for sure.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Can't you take a good pack, swap one of the good batteries in it for a bad battery and then monitor what happens?

What do you mean by 'good one'? a 900Wh pack that hasn't failed yet? Are you offering to be the donor of a pack? :)

Or maybe you fancy donating both packs for lab testing?!

Seriously, I think the issue here will be finding someone willing to forfeit their packs.

And I'm not sure a lab will find much. I suspect this could be an internal cell problem but that just my guess.

And any lab that runs consistent discharge/charge tests whilst monitoring all pack parameters until the pack destructs will want a LOT of money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

What do you mean by 'good one'? a 900Wh pack that hasn't failed yet? Are you offering to be the donor of a pack? :)

Or maybe you fancy donating both packs for lab testing?!

Seriously, I think the issue here will be finding someone willing to forfeit their packs.

And I'm not sure a lab will find much. I suspect this could be an internal cell problem but that just my guess.

And any lab that runs consistent discharge/charge tests whilst monitoring all pack parameters until the pack destructs will want a LOT of money.

And we all know Gotway has no funds. For extensive testing.. :efeee20b79: It's cheaper to over a free wheel to burn victims. :efee47c9c8:

15 hours ago, supercurio said:

Yes @TantasStarke many Sherman's board self destructed for one reason or another, but none lead to battery fire.

Yeah I get that. I still think it should be added to the list as a few of the Gotway fires on this list were solely control boards and not battery pack fires. Gotta be completely objective

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TantasStarke said:

Yeah I get that. I still think it should be added to the list as a few of the Gotway fires on this list were solely control boards and not battery pack fires. Gotta be completely objective

Good point, it's my mistake for understanding this thread as "battery fires" as it shifted in this direction lately, whereas the title is literally "Smoke & Fire History" and a Sherman board burning certainly has both.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:53 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Hundreds of boards have failed.

The consequences of a board failure, compared to a battery fire, are insignificant. "I saw sparks and smoke!" is the only common thread... (but one stops on its own; the other totals your house).

Please let's make every effort to not intermix these two different types of failure.

41 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

In that case ones like the June 11, 2020 Gotway MSP HT C38 fire should be removed from the list, as it was a control board. It looked like one of the Monster Pro's was a control board isolated fire as well. Either gotta show them all or show none of them as it'll skew data

Edit: A few of the gotway wheels in this list are control board only, while they would still be the reigning champion by far for fires it would be by a smaller margin. In that case splitting between battery and control board fires would be an option, but then you run into an issue of what if a control board causes the battery fire, does it go in the battery section even though the fire was caused by a control board, could lead to misinformation on bad batteries vs bad control boards. Anything that causes physical burns on the inside of the wheel should be added to this list, and shouldn't be excluded because the batteries never ignited IMO.

Edited by TantasStarke

Kind of off-topic but what you just wrote @TantasStarke regarding a leaderboard for board fire made me think of Inmotion and how many MOSFET "burned".
And that came with the realization that none of them actually "burned" in the process. To the extent that it is necessary to use a meter to identify which MOSFET failed.

Still bad, but a good problem to have compared to literal fires I guess.

• Asphalt changed the title to Fire History
3 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Thanks for the suggestions, the list has been refactored to remove any non-fire entries. 

Please notify me if there are remaining entries that shouldn't be included.

So what constitutes as a fire? For instance on that Sherman one I screenshot from Facebook, he said his board lit on fire and melted his screen. Does it only count if a battery is ignited?

2 hours ago, TantasStarke said:

So what constitutes as a fire? For instance on that Sherman one I screenshot from Facebook, he said his board lit on fire and melted his screen. Does it only count if a battery is ignited?

That looked like user error when they reconnected the wires, creating a short somewhere. 

19 minutes ago, Mango said:

That looked like user error when they reconnected the wires, creating a short somewhere. 

Yeah it probably was caused by user error, they said they suspected it was a stripped motor wire but no way to know now after the damage. To continue to play devils advocate this forum has also done fires that could be deemed user error, like a custom modded wheel, or the Kingsong 16S that had estimated 11000KM in a little over a year, had sustained multiple crashes (destroyed inner-shell, chew-up motor wires, destroyed controller) that had to be replaced ~5 months before the fire. If this is now a battery fire forum the sherman fire wouldn't belong here regardless though

• 2 weeks later...

A viewer comment from a YouTube video.

Markus Swärdenholt
Been riding for almost 10 years, my fifth machine burned down my apartment, killed my cats and almost killed me 6 months ago. Has my eyes on this wheel and this type of descriptor's "behind the looks" discussion has been the best video for the s20 I have heard. Cant wait to get back to life again.

Markus Swärdenholt
 @Paul A  MSP High HT. Not sure, nothing left of either hallway or machine, have my ideas but nothing

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

A viewer comment from a YouTube video.

Markus Swärdenholt
Been riding for almost 10 years, my fifth machine burned down my apartment, killed my cats and almost killed me 6 months ago. Has my eyes on this wheel and this type of descriptor's "behind the looks" discussion has been the best video for the s20 I have heard. Cant wait to get back to life again.

Markus Swärdenholt
 @Paul A  MSP High HT. Not sure, nothing left of either hallway or machine, have my ideas but nothing

Thanks for investigating @Paul A

Could this be the same incident as the Nov 1, 2021 MSP HT mentioned by isthereanyfood?
The last name suggests Scandinavian origin.

Might not be same incident as the video by Mike (IsThereAnyFood) was uploaded four months ago, and the comment by Markus Swärdenholt was that the fire was six months ago.

May need to check with IsThereAnyFood.