Fire History

Asphalt

8 hours ago, Paul A said:

MSP was bought new, about 5 months old, about 2k km, never wet, wasn't being charged at the time, still under warranty, and the staff of the dealer are being very helpful.

If purchased mid-2021, it sounds like a new-old-stock MSP, which there were a few of at various vendors.
I think all MSP's used the M50T cell, and it was only after the RS debut (which supplanted MSP production) that various other cells started appearing in new Gotway's.

Troubling to hear it survived >1,000miles ridden before the incident... glad mine lives in a steel box. No battery issues here yet, with 2500mi of heavy-duty riding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

So what happens when someone sleeping dies in a house fire caused by a Gotway?

Some notable youtuber(s) will make another video saying "oh they're not that bad"...

I wish that was just a snarky joke instead of likely true.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

So what happens when someone sleeping dies in a house fire caused by a Gotway?

A funeral gets purchased, a house gets demolished and thats about it....  Eventually a law will be made, but those are typically ignored. @AtlasP summs it up nicely. Im not notable, or rich. If my house burns down, I wont be able to afford making another vid of negativity and paranoia.

https://www.injurylawcolorado.com/blog/personal-injury/chinese-pedestrian-accident-law/

In China, It’s Cheaper to Kill a Pedestrian Purposefully After Hitting Them than Stop to Help.

For years, there has been a story floating around that if a Chinese driver hits a pedestrian they will typically try to kill said pedestrian in order to avoid legal damages. While this story may sound like just another ludicrous urban legend, this tale is apparently (and unfortunately) very much true.

In China, it is commonly much cheaper for a driver who hit a pedestrian to kill them rather than pay them for damages. This is called a “double hit.”

According to Slate, Chinese double hit cases have been on record since the 90s and documented proof was circulated as a part of a television report in 2008. The video footage shows a Chinese driver backing into an elderly woman.

One would assume that such clear-cut evidence would land the driver in jail with a homicide charge; however, the result of his trial was an acquittal. His attorney was able to argue that the driver mistakenly believed he backed over a trash bag. The driver ended up being sentenced to three years in prison and served two years.

Why do “accidents” like this occur? The easy answer is money. In the event a driver strikes and kills a pedestrian, victim compensation is fixed due to codified laws. A driver who kills a pedestrian in China can expect to pay a one-time payment of around $30,000-$50,000 – after which the case is closed.

However, in the event that the pedestrian lives, Chinese law stipulates that the driver is responsible for the injured person’s care and disability for the remainder of their life. This has the potential to run into the millions.

The relevance of the above to the topic of Smoke and Fire is definite cost of a worldwide recall vs possible costs in compensation for a few deaths.

7 hours ago, TantasStarke said:

That Kingsong 14D video is on the list twice, May 15 2021 and the recent Dec 20 2021, both the same video

Thank-you. I have removed the Dec 20, 2021 instance from the original post.

I bought a Gotway RS19 HT in October. Black motherboard. I was told by the retailer that the batteries were Samsung, but not the battery model. And they didn’t sound very confident, as though they thought it was Samsung but couldn’t be sure. The battery packs don’t seem to have any markings to identify them when I open the wheel. Any way to find out what batteries I have in my wheel?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wh331b0y said:

I bought a Gotway RS19 HT in October. Black motherboard. I was told by the retailer that the batteries were Samsung, but not the battery model. And they didn’t sound very confident, as though they thought it was Samsung but couldn’t be sure. The battery packs don’t seem to have any markings to identify them when I open the wheel. Any way to find out what batteries I have in my wheel?

The only real way to be sure is to cut and peel back some of the blue heatshink, looking for any markings/numbers on the cell itself.

4 hours ago, wh331b0y said:

The battery packs don’t seem to have any markings to identify them when I open the wheel. Any way to find out what batteries I have in my wheel?

Have you looked at the back of the packs or just opened the wheel? The label is always placed against the inner shell

• Like 1

It would be cool to see if HT models or HS models are more represented in the fires. I've always theorized that emergency braking in colder temperatures is a high stress moment for cells. I'm curious if HT wheels are less represented because of their efficiency at hard braking/acceleration.

My uneducated guess is.... battery pack build failure. I dont know who's making these packs, but it really seems like its something so simple as SOMEONE is not putting these packs together with proper seperation and/or quality tabs. Whatever it is, its unacceptable. This risks INNOCENT lives in masse', much more than even a cutout on a busy interstate does. Not a fan of gotway to begin with yrs ago, getting further from it each new wheel they release.

Its okay my little baby mten, its not YOUR fault that so many of your younger relatives are unreliable.... :(

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Here is a Monster Pro pack with a dead cell group.

Screenshot_20220107-162626.thumb.jpg.e3a8b29a669ac316d01e41194fd17808.jpg

The dead cells look to be corroded. They are the positive poles facing down when the wheel is upright, at the bottom of the pack, against the heatshrink.

So water must have accumulated there between the positive poles and the negative casing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Here is a Monster Pro pack with a dead cell group.

Screenshot_20220107-162626.thumb.jpg.e3a8b29a669ac316d01e41194fd17808.jpg

The dead cells look to be corroded. They are the positive poles facing down when the wheel is upright, at the bottom of the pack, against the heatshrink.

So water must have accumulated there between the positive poles and the negative casing.

Now thats really interesting - never seen a GW pack without plastic separators, which also very much help to provide the pack stability/rigidity too.

Maybe GW had to discard the separators to save a little space...so purely relying on the heatshrink and interconnects to provide pack rigidity!

• Like 2

• Asphalt changed the title to Fire History