Fire Resistant EUC Charging Bag

Tryptych

This is a great idea, someone needs to make these to fit EUCs - they would sell like hotcakes!

https://www.amazon.ca/Hoverboard-Fire-Resistant-Charging-Scooter/dp/B01BLYI7YO

lipo-charge-bag1.jpg.d5a71584167409ec5ead551164feb0c2.jpg

lipo-charge-bag2.jpg.82aae3bf27253270e2a3bba9c661881b.jpg

Anyone know if there are already super big ones that would work? A lot of us have been looking for a solution like this without having a huge metal "charging box" in our house like Kuji Rolls. It would be great for those of us in smaller condos and people who want extra security when transporting or storing their wheels.

There is definitely a market for this product (!@Jason McNeil!)

• Like 1

I will add a disclaimer here, mostly for newer EUC owners and people thinking of getting their first EUC: it is extremely rare for EUCs to catch fire. They are not like the first generation hoverboards from a few years back - batteries and battery management systems have been greatly improved in the past years. Of the handful of EUC fires we've heard of most happened because the batteries were damaged or modified by the user. This product would be mostly just to give people extra peace of mind.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 11:45 PM, Tryptych said:

I will add a disclaimer here, mostly for newer EUC owners and people thinking of getting their first EUC: it is extremely rare for EUCs to catch fire. They are not like the first generation hoverboards from a few years back - batteries and battery management systems have been greatly improved in the past years. Of the handful of EUC fires we've heard of most happened because the batteries were damaged or modified by the user. This product would be mostly just to give people extra peace of mind.

Yeah, but what about the fact that after I buy one, the rest seem to keep burning a hole in my pockets... They don't make a blanket or bag that prevents that. :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 6:38 AM, Paul A said:

Firesak video.

A farmer came out of nowhere and requested they leave?  This is the reason that filming was not shown?  

If the bag after two hours was still too hot to touch, how did they move it into the car?

The video was not continuous of the fire from start, during, end.  Hardly convincing evidence.

It was claimed one battery pack not an EUC in the bag.  Cannot verify what was actually in the bag.

A safety product produced by a DIY amateur on YouTube.  What qualifications, expertise does this person have?  What independent testing, certifications, standards have been applied?

Is this credible?

This person producing a product for an incredibly dangerous EUC fire needs to consider his product and public liability.

Dude, he's not sewing these bags together in his basement or anything like that. These types of bags have been in the market for a long time, but mostly just used by the "RC airplane" community etc so the bags are usually too small for an EUCs. He probably just found a supplier somewhere in China, gave the size specs and slapped a logo on it.

By the way, if anyone knows where I could buy a bag like this that would ship to europe, please let me know, so far the largest bag I could find is this, but unfortunately it's not big enough. I contacted this GingerOnWheels, but he's not sure if he'll be shipping to europe anytime soon. 

Edited by MKO
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Welding blanket(s) might be a good proven option.

Toxic smoke will not be contained, it will be lethal.

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2016/10/lithium-ion-batteries-found-to-produce-toxic-gases/

Lithium-ion batteries can produce dozens of dangerous gases when overheated, according to a new study from the Institute of NBC Defence and Tsinghua University in China.

The batteries, which are found in billions of consumer devices like smartphones and tablets, were found to leak more than 100 toxic gases including carbon monoxide.

The gases, which are potentially fatal, can cause strong irritation to the skin, eyes and nasal passages, and harm the wider environment.

The researchers behind the study say many people may be unaware of the dangers of overheating, damaging or using a disreputable charger for their rechargeable devices.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bracky72 said:

I purchased this product.  Do you think such a thing can possibly help?  I’d like to see a video of a 2700 pack going off in one.

6E2FEA2A-AE73-4C05-A580-595502AB90DB.jpeg

I'm glad it is in your garage, but the smoke will still be pretty bad. It would ruin your sweet ride (not the snowthrower). Can you put up a HeShed?

A little sceptical of a video that doesn't show the entirety of test because a farmer came out of nowhere and insisted they move on.....

So, an extremely hot bag, with toxic smoke billowing out, was then able to be approached, picked up, and placed into a car......seems a little dubious...

A video, made by a person that is not independent, who makes profit from the sales.

Where is the remaining footage of the video?

3 hours ago, Paul A said:

A video, made by a person that is not independent, who makes profit from the sales.

Well, it is an advertisement…

Firesak was developed by a rider in my local area—I'm not vouching for his product or his advertisement, but I can vouch for him. He's good people, not the kind to scam.

We should all remember to view ads for what they are, so yeah, definitely do your research. But I'd bet my favorite wheel that this is an honest vendor and he's not hiding something. Obviously a fire resistant bag is no guarantee a fire won't be able to spread, fire is a fickle beast and the sak is only fire resistant. The sak might be able to buy time, or it might not.

We are involved in a hobby that has lots of risks and every now and then someone will draw a short straw. This is why many of us choose to take steps to try to tilt the odds in our favor. I believe that's the motivation behind the Firesak. If it gives someone 60 extra seconds to get out of a building, he's won. If he can use the idea to get a business off the ground, more power to him.

And no, I didn't buy one. I intend to move my wheel storage outdoors... I'm fortunate enough to have that option.

• Like 3

Might be better to just buy a weather proof dog kennel, and store an EUC outside.

Place in a secure/hidden/inaccessible area to prevent theft.

If an EUC starts to burn, there is no saving it anyway.

Let it burn and smoke, but away from everything else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe a Deck Box would be an option to store an EUC outdoors.

Walmart, weather proof, lockable doors, French doors, ample space....other retailers will have similar item as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-Patio-Chic-Outdoor-Storage-Cabinet-Resin-Dark-Teak-123-Gallon/35395616

Rubbermaid Patio Chic Outdoor Storage Cabinet, Resin, Dark Teak, 123 Gallon

$249.00

Cabinet is made of weather resistant plastic resin that will protect your things from sun, rain and snow.

• Material: Plastic
  • Coverage Area (sq. ft.) 7.67
  • Assembled Depth (in.) 26.64 in
  • Assembled Width (in.) 46 in
  • Assembled Height (in.) 37.80 in
  • Product Weight (lb.) 68.0lb
  • Stylish design complements outdoor furniture
  • Extra-large storage space includes adjustable shelf
  • Weather-proof construction protects contents
  • Doors can be locked for security (lock not included)
  • Capacity (cu. ft.) - Total 9.589
  • Capacity (gallons) 123
  • Recommended Location: Outdoor

• 7 months later...
On 10/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Welp, it's a thing now...

https://firesak.com/shop/

($130, available soon)

New vid looks great! 

On 4/11/2022 at 8:58 PM, Paul A said:

Recent video of Firesak test by member @Ginger On Wheels

Continuous, more credible.

Thanks to GoW for filming another test.

FireSak Vs. Lithium Battery - Does It Work?

2.5K views · 1 day ago

Ginger On Wheels
24.1K subscribers

https://youtu.be/CUeSSEoxQ1E

Edited by RagingGrandpa

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

New vid looks great! 

I still think that metal cabinet would work much better.. (Even same price.) For one it would not fall over, because of battery explosion. Metal being hard - it won't change the form. And are much more structural sound option. Also you can insulate the thing, so most of the heat go one way. Like padding inside with drywall/rockwool. Also adding some padding behind/sides, so no heat would catch surrounding furniture, something else on fire. And lastly you can place whole thing on some thich bricks, to prevent floor melting/catching on fire.

< At least i built/did that. :D  (You can even buy bigger metal cabinet and place it outside.. All those ip66 electrical steel junction boxes worth great.)

Edited by Funky

As nice as a thermally-controlled metal storage shed would be, if you're stuck renting--particularly in a multi-unit building--then I think fire bags like the FireSak may still be your best option. Containing the lithium-ion fire source so it can be quickly removed from the building should be top priority. Moving a metal cabinet containing a raging dragon isn't going to be easy. Of course, this assumes someone is present to immediately detect the fire and respond, so perhaps a more robust containment-in-place option like a metal cabinet is preferable for those with multiple battery packs being left unattended. If you only own one or two wheels, and are on close terms with your neighbors, or have multiple housemates, then quick extraction of a contained battery fire might be the way to go.

2 hours ago, Funky said:

I still think that metal cabinet would work much better.. (Even same price.) For one it would not fall over, because of battery explosion. Metal being hard - it won't change the form.

Agreed. I own a medium size FireSak, and it does a pretty good job of staying upright on its own in everyday use so far (2 months), though I do have to regularly straighten it up lest it start to slump. I have considered adding some metal rods for support, but so far haven't really needed to--the bag stays mostly in shape. During a battery fire though? I expect the weight and bulk of the wheel will keep the bag mostly in place as it melts into slag, though the bag could tip over onto its side once the stand starts to melt. I can't say I've seen any videos of propulsive explosions during wheel fires, but I suppose that's not impossible.

48 minutes ago, Catch said:

As nice as a thermally-controlled metal storage shed would be, if you're stuck renting--particularly in a multi-unit building--then I think fire bags like the FireSak may still be your best option. Containing the lithium-ion fire source so it can be quickly removed from the building should be top priority. Moving a metal cabinet containing a raging dragon isn't going to be easy. Of course, this assumes someone is present to immediately detect the fire and respond, so perhaps a more robust containment-in-place option like a metal cabinet is preferable for those with multiple battery packs being left unattended. If you only own one or two wheels, and are on close terms with your neighbors, or have multiple housemates, then quick extraction of a contained battery fire might be the way to go.

I don't plan on moving the damn thing, when it goes up on flames.. I have built it more or less if fire starts, it will burn till there is nothing to burn anymore. The "box" itself weighs ~45kg (~100lbs). I have smallish room and the box is right next to my bed. Worst case i open window fast and run to next room, closing door behind. So no toxic smoke go true whole house. I may "pop" in while holding breath with bucket or hose to quickly damp the surroundings for "extra" fire safety. (Or while firefighters arrive.)

I mostly built it - if noone is home and fire starts, at least fire will be contained!

48 minutes ago, Catch said:

Agreed. I own a medium size FireSak, and it does a pretty good job of staying upright on its own in everyday use so far (2 months), though I do have to regularly straighten it up lest it start to slump. I have considered adding some metal rods for support, but so far haven't really needed to--the bag stays mostly in shape. During a battery fire though? I expect the weight and bulk of the wheel will keep the bag mostly in place as it melts into slag, though the bag could tip over onto its side once the stand starts to melt. I can't say I've seen any videos of propulsive explosions during wheel fires, but I suppose that's not impossible.

At some point the wheel will fall over as it starts to melt and so on.. (Melts off the "L" brackets.) Also i hope your floor is somewhat fireproof. Or at least the firesak is put on something fireproof. 

You don't need even flames, the heat alone can catch something on fire that are pretty "close" to firesak. Same as mine metal box - it will be like frying pan red/hot. (Doh i have insulated inside/outside with rockwool, so heat should be somewhat contained/redirected mostly to front door - which i have layered 2x metal plates, with air gap between. 2x in case first one starts to melt.) I also don't trust those big vent holes on firesak.. If batteries somehow come out of wheel and go flying like rockets. Imagine one battery flying out of that hole right onto your couch, or something flammable. :D 

26 minutes ago, iCafe said:

If batteries burn like that, i'm 99.9% confident that my box will contain all the flames. 

I built my box taking into mind the S20 flamethrower. :w00t2:(That thing scary..) Imagine this thing vs "firesak", there will be no firesak left. :D

• Like 1

Yes, this S20 disaster was a waking call, also the recent elevator fire. :o We need at least, some heavy, firesafe pouch/ hat to cover our euc overnight. This will contain projectiles and open flames, but let the fumes and gases out. Store EUC near easy-open doors/ windows for emergency ventilation.

Edited by iCafe