Fire Resistant EUC Charging Bag

Tryptych

• 2 weeks later...

At least fire won't spread. Good thing you got concrete flooring. More or less if all cells don't explode the same time.. The bag will act like metal barrel keeping "most" fire inside it. (Hope you don't have flammable ceilings..)

But same time i will say that real metal barrel (Metal enclosure) would work way, way better. 

Edited by Funky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BKW said:

fireproof bag/sack that will work for EUCs yet

probably no such thing. FireSak will probably slow down a fire's spread, but it won't extinguish the fire and may not contain it for long. Maybe hold it long enough to sound the alarm and get everyone out... probably the best you can hope for.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BKW said:

Anyone find a fireproof bag/sack that will work for EUCs yet? I could really use one for NYC

A metal framed box clad with fire resistant plasterboard, on wheels and with handles secured to the frame by metal fixings is likely your best bet. 
That, and avoiding certain specific battery configurations by a certain manufacturer!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BKW said:

fireproof bag/sack

If in an apartment in NYC, maybe have a fire resistant tether attached to the EUC.

Might enable a burning wheel to:

Be safely dragged outside

Lowered to the ground via a window, balcony.

Maybe throw EUC into a bath tub, plug drain hole, turn on all taps fully, to immerse.

Shower cubicle, if no bath tub.

Intense heat may prevent access.

Intense toxic smoke might asphyxiate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

probably no such thing. FireSak will probably slow down a fire's spread, but it won't extinguish the fire and may not contain it for long. Maybe hold it long enough to sound the alarm and get everyone out... probably the best you can hope for.

that's pretty troubling to say the least.

no fireproof safe boxes or anything like that? I saw one in Kuji's video on the V13 i think

Edited by BKW

I found a safe large enough to put a large EUC in. Why not insulate the inner walls with fireproofing material? So in the case of a battery fire you can shut the safe with the fireproof material along the inside. What do you think about something like this to contain the fire?

Having it enclosed in that space may make the reaction more pressurized and explosive? Like a bomb?

https://bit.ly/3wqERET

*EDIT:

I just watched a couple videos and I answered my own question: yes enclosed spaces and battery failure can cause an explosion. And the amount of toxic smoke that would come out of a 3600Wh battery from an EUC would be immense. Just the amount of toxic smoke that would come from a 3600Wh would have a good chance of killing you in a average-sized room, but some kind of large container with vents and good fireproofing material may safe from a runaway reaction to fire, but the container would also have to be large and in a special place like stone/cement surfaces just in case. Might as well keep the EUC outside at that point:

Edited by BKW

@novazeus

26 minutes ago, BKW said:

I found a safe large enough to put a large EUC in. Why not insulate the inner walls with fireproofing material? So in the case of a battery fire you can shut the safe with the fireproof material along the inside. What do you think about something like this to contain the fire?

@BKW

That's why you need to have "vent" holes.. So it doesn't explode like a bomb. And same time you need something very solid, to contain the fireworks/flamethrower.

Direct the vent holes to a empty concrete wall or empty room - so nothing can catch on fire. Same time containing the main fire in the box. (Fire only will come out of vent holes when battery pops.. As soon as it comes out it will go away.) 

Also you need to keep the box itself on some bricks.. So floor doesn't catch on fire. The heat alone can catch surroundings on fire. So padding it in rockwool or something that doesn't let heat true is a must. If you got anything that can catch on fire close by. 

Would you dare take the smoking or maybe even already little bit on fire euc out of your house? Carrying it past living room or something else. It can blow up any moment and you may drop it right there. I built my "fire box" with an idea if it starts burning - it will stay burning - till it burns itself out. (Or if someone is home they call firefighters..) Yeah you will have smoke damage, so on. But at least your house/room won't burn down.

(I'm updating my fire box right now as i'm writing this. Adding 2x thicker, more fireproof padding around the box. And also on top of it. And also adding another metal sheets around the padding. It will be box in a box ordeal.) Will update my post someday - when i'm finished. :D 

Edited by Funky

On 1/24/2023 at 3:06 AM, Paul A said:

If in an apartment in NYC, maybe have a fire resistant tether attached to the EUC.

Might enable a burning wheel to:

Be safely dragged outside

Lowered to the ground via a window, balcony.

Maybe throw EUC into a bath tub, plug drain hole, turn on all taps fully, to immerse.

Shower cubicle, if no bath tub.

Intense heat may prevent access.

Intense toxic smoke might asphyxiate.

NYC has had fires, injuries, and deaths due to Battery Fires.  Even with strict building codes, NYC can still have fires. No good solution to PEVs in apartment buildings.

I've noticed a drop in fires recently, have the manufacturers improved their product? Has the media stopped covering these stories?

We'll see what happens when the weather warms up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Has the media stopped covering these stories?

https://nypost.com/2023/01/21/nyc-fire-sparked-by-lithium-ion-battery-kills-injures-10/

January 21, 2023

NYC blaze sparked by ‘lithium-ion battery’ leaves one dead, 10 injured

A man was killed and 10 others hurt after a charging e-bike battery fueled a fast-moving fire that tore through a Queens home, officials said.

Heavy flames raced through the top two floors of the three-story home at 24-37 89th Street in East Elmhurst shortly after 11 p.m. Friday, the FDNY said.

Fires caused by e-bike batteries killed six people in 2022, officials said. It was a lithium battery that was blamed for a fire in College Point, Queens, in September that left an 8-year-old girl dead and two adults seriously injured. Fire officials said an electric scooter battery caused the blaze.

Friday’s deadly Queens fire is believed to be the first such e-bike battery-related blaze of the new year, records show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...