Fire Resistant EUC Charging Bag

Tryptych

45 minutes ago, iCafe said:

Yes, this S20 disaster was a waking call, also the recent elevator fire. :o We need at least, some heavy, firesafe pouch/ hat to cover our euc overnight. This will contain projectiles and open flames, but let the fumes and gases out. Store EUC near easy-open doors/ windows for emergency ventilation.

how does a fire bag addresses the concerns the elevator fire brought? Are we going to have a fire bag handy at any time?

we have already two out of 10  Sherman og (in Athens) stalling and overheating out of control due to what seem like accelerometer bug, so the solution is to find those bugs, not use bags I think. 

A recall on all gotway battery packs, not just ewheel's ones, that are known to be able to self ignite will also help I think. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

I use a steel trash can to cover my RS19.  Around $34 at Home Depot  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Behrens-31-Gal-Galvanized-Steel-Round-Trash-Can-with-Lid-1270/100202118

02BE46E7-5F0D-4811-A2EB-32159CA3DC73.jpeg

I really like this idea, easy and it'll buy time. Two things though: 

The cardboard...

Heated galvanized steel also releases bad-for-you gasses, so put a smoke detector near it and get everyone tf out of the house as quickly as you can.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 360rumors said:

I use a steel trash can to cover my RS19.  Around $34 at Home Depot  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Behrens-31-Gal-Galvanized-Steel-Round-Trash-Can-with-Lid-1270/100202118

02BE46E7-5F0D-4811-A2EB-32159CA3DC73.jpeg

That is genius :) Proper out of the box, or should I say 'within the bin' thinking !  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I really like this idea, easy and it'll buy time. Two things though: 

The cardboard...

Heated galvanized steel also releases bad-for-you gasses, so put a smoke detector near it and get everyone tf out of the house as quickly as you can.

Thanks.  This is in our garage, which is not directly connected to our house.  Yes smoke detector is a great idea.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cerbera said:

That is genius :) Proper out of the box, or should I say 'within the bin' thinking !  

Lol thanks!  I have many crackpot ideas. :D

• Like 1

@GoGeorgeGo's new test video shows a different kind of fire... 

After a few hours of charging, the pack suddenly entered thermal runaway from multiple cells at once. It's just too much volume of flammable gas for the fiberglass bag to contain- the jets of flame will be large and far-reaching. 

Best suited to slow fires, then.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The fire also is the worst if it happens at 100% charge. That's why i like to store my wheels closer to ~50%. If i don't ride for a week.

Or the state of charge doesn't change a thing how it will burn? I at least think at lower charge it has less of the gases and what not? Wrong/Right?

5 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

Wow the firesack completely failed.  Perhaps the creator should have done a similar test before selling it to the community with promises of safety. 

For smaller wheels i think it still would work: ks16s, v8/10, mten3, so on. Big wheels - never. Medium/Large bags should be removed!

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Funky said:

For smaller wheels i think it still world work ks16s, v8/10, mten3, so on.

the first explosion was half the battery, the other half exploded 5 minutes later (19 min). This bag is good for moving the barbeque around, not containing lithium fires.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, enaon said:

the first explosion was half the battery, the other half exploded 5 minutes later (19 min). This bag is good for moving the barbeque around, not containing lithium fires.

Yes, but how big was the packs??? Wh? (I don't know that wheel.)

Edited by Funky

the s20 fire showcased that lithium fires cannot be "contained". The s20'w metal casing was better than a bag, yet it only needed a small opening to transform to a flamethrower. 

I was a bit annoyed to be honest by the promotion of this bag, I had to explain to my friends that if one feels safe because he owns one, he is bordering stupid land. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

the dude made a test where he took a bag that was supposed to have a lithium battery still burning inside, and placed it in his car. This alone should warn you that he is pulling your leg.

Thanks for the test. 

Edited by enaon
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, enaon said:

the s20 fire showcased that lithium fires cannot be "contained". The s20'w metal casing was better than a bag, yet it only needed a small opening to transform to a flamethrower. 

I was a bit annoyed to be honest by the promotion of this bag, I had to explain to my friends that if one feels safe because he owns one, he is bordering stupid land. 

Yeah those bags really don't do much.. Even simple metal box would work much better.

As for S20 it was like a flamethrower - because of those casings. Top was blown open and then it acted like a metal pipe pushing all flames out at top. Directed all flames one way.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Nice 2nd camera angle. 

I see the fiberglass bag did stay intact for the biggest part of the fire... just that the jets of fire from the two side vents were so enormous, that it doesn't seem to matter that the EUC stayed inside the bag. And burning debris was blown out the vents. Violent.

Perhaps we could at least appreciate that the community is making progress in the area of fire safety?? More information is good!

I own a metal box (and enjoyed seeing your project too)...
But the rate of energy release here makes me have doubts about a cabinet being effective at preventing other things in the room from being ignited. Those burning bits flew long distances.

actually the failure came from Zippers .. the vents let flames out but the zippers failed totally

they changed the Capacity after either today's video or my initial message to him about the product being failure but as always, people only don quick fix and he forgot to change the photo as it still shows big boys wheels that is supposed to protect...  yeah all except the RS are over  2000WAH jeez

image.thumb.png.f2ebda20a92301c65642e35f168e9703.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2