Dog chasing EUC riders small advice how to handle situation like this 🐕

DjPanJan

5 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Woot, there it is, right on cue! thinly veiled reference to pulling your concealed fire arm and just shooting the dog.

Sorry to hear your son got bitten, and happy to be north of your border (for so many reasons, last count was what, 14mill or more). There's nothing more vile than a pussy with a gun in his hand.

Woot, there it is, right on cue! Another not so thinly veiled reference to my sexual preferences by a loving conversational person. I do like pussy, and yet I’m slight in stature. So I carry my ammonia laced concoction as protection from those mean nasty dogs and an engaged holster for the human animal. I have deployed its use several times to my advantage. 

I realize that some of my content is shocking to some, so I try to veil my liberty to some extent. Yes veiled reference to killing a dog with a firearm is a little over kill. Savage might have been a little more appropriate for your sexual preferences. On the other hand I do cherish the freedoms we still hold and would not hesitate to employ them at any convenience. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Olestra said:

My go-to for off leash animals (and their owners) is a whistle. it's part of my EDC

Specifically the fox 40 whistle (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000071K5K)

it's loud and discordant like you wouldn't believe... loud enough to get the attention of of a Roller Derby gal starting to throw hands. it is loud enough to get the dog to think you are bigger than they can handle, and loud enough to completely derail the most deranged karen.

"how dare you whis..TWEET!!
"how dare[TWEET!!]
"how[TWEET!!]

works pretty well

lol

I wonder about a dog whistle that would only affect the dogs while being inaudible to people? I know this exists to get their attention, but I don't know if such could stop one from advancing/attacking?

Wow! 115 db, that’s pretty loud! "The National Institute of Occupational Safety (NIOSH) states that for a 115 decibel (dB) sound, the exposure limit is just 28 seconds". I’m not sure that I can manage 28 seconds but at $6.88 I’ll give it a try. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mac said:

"The National Institute of Occupational Safety (NIOSH) states that for a 115 decibel (dB) sound, the exposure limit is just 28 seconds"

There's more than one reason I have hearing aids at 44...

I experienced an unsettling and slightly scary situation while on a long ride in Goldendale, Washington, this past summer. I was probably 4 miles away from my destination with only 10 percent battery left on a King Song 18XL. I was rounding a bend on a country road going about 10 mph, trying to milk the battery. There was a house next to the road on my right, and as I was getting close to it a huge Saint Bernard charged me. I couldn't believe my luck. A huge dog is on an interception path with me and I can barely go 15 mph. I slowly sped up and just maintained speed. Thankfully the dog was not interested in chasing me down as soon as I passed it. The situation certainly got my heart going.

• Like 2

She was herding rather than attacking. Notice the way she came around your right side and tried to herd you to the left. Her attention was completely on the movement of the wheel. If it was an attack you would have been bitten.

The best thing to do is stop. The movement triggers the herding instinct.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Stop is not ideal as i say slowly deacelerate not full stop. Here is video where EUC rider stop and results?

Once the EUC stopped the dog ran off though.  The real problem seemed to be when the EUC was moving slowly and the dog was biting the shoe, if the EUC had stopped suddenly enough before the dog bit then it might have run off without biting.

2 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Stop is not ideal as i say slowly deacelerate not full stop. Here is video where EUC rider stop and results?

I'd chase the dog to find the owner. THIS is unacceptable in society and its behavior shouldnt go unchecked. Just as kids, they dont stay small and less a threat forever. So much for my 'the dog wants to save the human from the wheel' theory. To be fair tho, fully geared, open pavement, sherman, dog even caught up to him? Blasphemy!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

It does seem a little bit over the top listening to you guys describing how best to defend yourselves from puppies. The best method is simply to just stop. Dog's can be  a little protective - it starts with something strange approaching them at speed, then there's the high pitched whine that most EUCs give off and helmets that definitely make us look not human (or friendly). 

23 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

After rewatching the video, the dog seems to be going after the shoes.  Maybe it has a shoe fetish.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Bumblebees said:

After rewatching the video, the dog seems to be going after the shoes.  Maybe it has a shoe fetish.

"You just have to stop moving", "oh he doesn't bite he just wants to play", "oh he's not biting you he's just biting your shoes".

Uh-huh. How about "I'm tired of this nonsense" and "that's assault".

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

On 12/4/2020 at 1:25 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

Married? (assuming hearing aid has a switch)

On 12/4/2020 at 11:17 AM, Mac said:

Kids?

Driving tanks, heavy metal concerts, and doing things like building super-sonic ping-pong ball launchers in the garage. Married, but she's just as likely to do something loud as I am. No kids -- we cut out the middleman and buy toys for ourselves! :)

• Like 3