Dog chasing EUC riders small advice how to handle situation like this 🐕

DjPanJan

We have 2 Finnish Lapphund dogs, and they're awesome!! Smart, athletic, clear our property of any and all rodents, rabbits etc. and weight about 40lbs.

I'm not sure about their rep in Finland, but these two fella's would never bite a human, ever, unless their life was in danger. Even then, they'd growl and yammer (they talk like Malamutes and other spitz dogs). Still, they bark and scream at my EUC like the world is ending hahaha

I have little tolerance for aggressive dog breeds and I think my suburban living has changed my perspective. It is quite rare to encounter a 'biting breed' anywhere near where I live i.e. doberman, rottweiler, pit bull etc etc. We walk 4-5km a day with the dogs around here and have never, ever, felt threatened by another person or dog... as I write this I realize how exceptional this quality of life is, especially compared with the lived experiences of others on the thread.

The 'urban' deer HATE our dogs though, and they seem to have evolved in the last decade to be increasingly aggressive. Believe it or not, they are the most dangerous thing anywhere around here. Females with fawns hidden nearby are sooooo aggressive, I saved a lady with a larger breed dog last year. That deer had pinned her in a corner, I needed to get between them and repeatedly charge and redirect the deer while she ran for it!! I actually have a "whip" at our place (steel cable with a handle) just in case I need to deal with one that attacks our dogs on our property. Not sure if you've ever handled one of these, but the pain they inflict is absolutely brutal while still being 'non lethal'.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:20 PM, Paul A said:

If you are bitten, resist the natural urge to try to pull away. This will just make the injury worse through tearing your flesh. Oddly enough, if the attack escalates to this point, then you actually want the dog to latch on. Why? The dog only has one mouth, but you have two hands. If you can manage it at this point, grab its back legs and lift them off the ground.

There seems to be something missing here. Surely the problem has not gone away if I'm standing there with a dog latched onto one arm, and holding the dog in the air with the other. :D

I've been chased a couple of times and having been bitten by a dog in the past, it does sometimes make me uncomfortable.
One instance involved me stopping, dog stopping, me taking off, dog chasing again, this went one for quite some time, it must have had a long trot home afterwards.

There was physical contact in one case where I was going at slow speed and a large dog suddenly lunged at me. I swerved, but still clipped the dog with my right pedal. The owner caught the dog immediately and that was it. The dog was limping afterwards, but the owner didn't blame me saying it was the dog's own fault.

29 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Bring your “A-game”, not you ‘tude with you when you ride guys and gals. Be better than that.

What is it that guy that is going after FM and was after Apple for right to repair said? Something to the effect of... if there's a law against it, it's because somebody was being a dick.

Don't be a dick. Please? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Do EUCs belong on a highway/freeway?  Multiple lanes, wrong side of the road?

SAN FRANCISCO

Electric Unicycles - EUC - Monster Pro - Begode EXN - Extreme Bull Commander

May 6, 2022

Edited by Paul A
Video title and date

42 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Do EUCs belong on a highway/freeway?  Multiple lanes, wrong side of the road?

SAN FRANCISCO

Electric Unicycles - EUC - Monster Pro - Begode EXN - Extreme Bull Commander

May 6, 2022

of course not. They dont have required lighting and braking. Nor do they have any method of insuring or registering. Enforcement>Policy. I ride mine in the street, knowing full well that ANY officer could easily require I not operate on the street. I'd imagine he could issue me a citation to be discussed in court as well. I'm not a cop tho, and most of the people in my neighborhood arent either. Even the ones that are, typically have better things to do. For those that are so obsessed with the legality and how its written, perhaps THEY should become some form of law enforcement themselves...

Not sure what this has to do with dogs, but to be fair, I don't think they are supposed to be on the highways either.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

That is truly horrifying, for everyone involved. Especially when it could have been avoided without too much inconvenience.

I do get why you wouldn't want to muzzle your dog, and understand the faith people place in their dogs but it's a bit like a full-face helmet. "Very unlikely" to need it, but…

• Like 1

Pepper/bear spray.

Can DIY.

Empty an aerosol can.

Use a vertical facing nozzle to depress and open the valve.

Fill using a hypodermic needle.

Isopropyl alcohol as a solvent. (Rubbing alcohol)

Pepper/capsicum powder with high scoville rating, steep in the isopropyl for a week to infuse.  Ebay, Amazon.

Shake to mix contents.

Sediments settle.  No need to strain/decant.

Lubricate and slide Schroder valve over aerosol can.

Pressurize.

Replace spray nozzle.

Traveller size cans fit into pocket.

Edited by Paul A

29 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Pepper/bear spray.

Can DIY.

Empty an aerosol can.

Pepper/capsicum powder with high scoville rating, steep in the isopropyl for a week to infuse.  Ebay, Amazon.

Shake to mix contents.

Pressurize.

Replace spray nozzle.

Illegal in Denmark - in that way the government has made sure, that no criminal will ever be able to use it, because its illegal.... (OT, sorry)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Paul A said:

Pepper/bear spray.

Can DIY.

Empty an aerosol can.

Shake to mix contents.

Pressurize.

Replace spray nozzle.

I had a beloved bulldog. He wouldnt hurt a fly and almost never did. Hell, he couldnt run faster than 5mph for about 10' as it was. At any rate, I loved him until he died of a heart attack, but I would NOT have hestitated to end his little doggy life, had he EVER put a person in undo danger, or attacked another animal for mere sport. It would break my heart, but I am the owner and in the end, completely responsible for his actions.

Having said that, I did make a mistake of tossing him a pork chop once. I knew better, but it was a moment of stupidity on my part. He was on that faster than I'd ever seen him before. I dont know why i tossed it to him, as the bone would surely be his demise. I quickly, began fighting him for it. This English bulldog who would NEVER challenge me, would NOT let go. Blood started coming from his mouth from the bone cutting him and it seemed to egg him on more. I rained down blows on his head, and got a few rib shots. He merely grunted and it hurt my hand. In the end, I had to force my hand INTO his mouth and choke him by the throat with the other hand. ONly once I got my (now bitten and bloody) hand down his throat, he let up but then took another chomp for the chop I was now holding. He landed on my arm and drew blood. I gave him the arm and forced it further into his mouth and he was forced to let go of that. This was ALL my fault and I deserved the injuries. Once he realized the bone was gone and it was my arm (along with lack of breath), he let go the arm. I fault the dog NONE, as I am the smarter one here and KNEW what may happen. I felt so badly for the fat bastard about it all, I cooked him some scrambled eggs and sausage. It took a week for the arm to heal and he just about broke a few of my fingers. I resent MYSELF for the entire situation and he was merely a pawn (strong pawn!) of the game I was playing.  Tbh, I dont think he even realized he was biting me, as I'd bet his 3 brains cells were stuck in loop "porkchop nom nom!" I can say with near surety, no ammount of pepper spray a(or even pain), was going to get him to let go. He only let go, once he couldnt breath and his bite was being compromised by me forcing into his throat.

I guess the moral of the story is... Dont try to take a pork chop away from a bulldog. Be ready for fingers to snap like twigs if you go diving for the chop, and dogs arent all that bright, neither are their owners. WHen push comes to shove, yuo may quickly realize that a dog doesnt recognize differences in severity of attack. A few petty blows to the body, don't always do jack shit, when the brain is stuck in loop.

RIP "Lord Brutus Maximus":cry2:

maxy-pussy.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have found the best way to deal with attacking dogs is to stop immediately. The same dogs that ran at me barking angrily a second ago will stop to sniff and stay for some pets,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Paul A. When a dog take my leg, (i can not accept be food) first my better solution is the gaz. After if i can track the dog, he must not see the sun. My life or the dog ? You know my choice.

Killing a dog seems a bit drastic.

Might just fall over, be injured.

Slowing down, stopping, might be best.

Sherman video shows a dog can be capable at matching speed.

Unpredictable dogs, owners absent/irresponsible.

Maybe pepper spray for life threatening attack.

Maybe be more alert when seeing a dog on a leash.  

• 4 weeks later...

CCTV shows dog that mauled a 10-year-old boy to death lunging at passersby

Jun 12, 2022
AKedOLRXgtphHbGgmwzwEMyLtFpdAbH-jm8qRUMY

2.91M subscribers

Two people from Caerphilly have received prison sentences of seven years and six months combined for offences linked to the possession of a dog which killed a 10-year-old boy.

Amy Salter, 29, and Brandon Hayden, 19, appeared at Cardiff Crown Court on Friday 10 June after previously pleading guilty to being in the charge of a dog dangerously out of control causing injury resulting in death.

10-year-old boy Jack Lis died following a dog attack near Caerphilly in Wales.

Gwent Police said they were called to an address in Pentwyn, Penyrheol, and confirmed the child had died at the scene.

• Sad 1

If some mutt, or bigger dog would attack/bit me. The mutt would go flying like a soccer ball. For bigger dog, i would break his lower jaw off...

To brutal? Sorry owner, if you can't control your dam pet he's dead.

Taser would also work great..

Edited by Funky

Maybe can of pepper spray.

https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-3-Pepper-Spray-Protection/dp/B0007VM8UC/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=bear+spray&qid=1654971544&sr=8-9

SABRE Advanced Compact Pepper Spray with Clip –

3-in-1 Formula (Pepper Spray, CS Tear Gas & UV Marking Dye)

Police Strength Self Defense Spray

10-Foot (3 m) Range

35 Bursts – Easy Access Belt Clip

image.png.d027876508eb7f85d76b69dbcffa8230.png

71x99Yzm74S._AC_SL1500_.jpg81EYE8BgFDS._AC_SL1500_.jpg