Dog chasing EUC riders small advice how to handle situation like this 🐕

DjPanJan

• 7 months later...

The solution is more simple than you realize.

I've had 4 versions of Horns. My last was the large Bulb type.

I was fun and functional and even funny to the kids. Clown like.

Then I got serious. VERY FUCKIN SERIOUS. Almost get ran over every day serious.

Solution:

Marine Fog Horn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8oz. 8$ at WalFart.

The first 2 times I tested it at arms length, it injured my ears. I thought I might have to go the the ER.

Your arms can not get it far enough away to use. Probably comparable to standing next to a simi horn.

No car, no burglar and no monster dog or man eating tranasuaruos can withstand its high and loud Dicibles.

Marine Fog Horn. 8oz can.

• Like 3

When I used to run marathons I would jog through the neighborhood. There were neighbors who would let their dogs run free in front of their house and would come after me every time. . . and I wasn't even on an EUC.  It was disgusting and unsettling every time. I tried making friends with the dogs but it never changed. I even had one neighbor who tied up their pit bull in front with just enough leash to get close to the sidewalk. I don't care how much of a dog lover you are, when you see a pit bull charging you out of the corner of your eye and don't see the leash, your first move is going to jump and try to evade. 

When I am on an EUC, it is even more dangerous. When a dog comes out of nowhere and it's not on a leash, it's easy to be startled and if you flinch just a little too much, you can find yourself faceplanted on the ground with a dog on your back. While it's important to know how to manage these situations because they do happen, I get very pissed with owners who don't do the right thing and leash their animals and will report them every time now!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dgar said:

When I used to run marathons I would jog through the neighborhood. There were neighbors who would let their dogs run free in front of their house and would come after me every time. . . and I wasn't even on an EUC.  It was disgusting and unsettling every time. I tried making friends with the dogs but it never changed. I even had one neighbor who tied up their pit bull in front with just enough leash to get close to the sidewalk. I don't care how much of a dog lover you are, when you see a pit bull charging you out of the corner of your eye and don't see the leash, your first move is going to jump and try to evade. 

When I am on an EUC, it is even more dangerous. When a dog comes out of nowhere and it's not on a leash, it's easy to be startled and if you flinch just a little too much, you can find yourself faceplanted on the ground with a dog on your back. While it's important to know how to manage these situations because they do happen, I get very pissed with owners who don't do the right thing and leash their animals and will report them every time now!

Jump and evade my ass. I keep doing as I was doing. If i feel the threat is real, I'll stand my ground. Humans reign above animals, period! The one who turns their back on an attack is typically the one who looses. If you know youll be in an area where loose/wild animals could be a problem, its up to YOU to carry the proper protection. IN the end, our safety is up to us to maintain. Expecting other's and laws to keep you safe is an agenda more than a truth.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Man this thread is entertaining and hilarious! With some witty writers!

on a serious note, one night, I saw an owner and her German shepherd. As I approached, I got off my wheel but the dog was still was trying to lunge at me. The owner was struggling to keep it under control. I just stood there waiting to defend myself. Fortunately, the owner was able to drag the dog away. 

ordered the fox40 whistle per recommendations from this thread. Also contemplating the fog horn from Valhalla.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 360rumors said:

ordered the fox40 whistle per recommendations from this thread. Also contemplating the fog horn from Valhalla.

I wonder how would an attacking dog react to a water pistol shooting directly at their face. Add a tiny amount of ground pepper in the water to strengthen the effect.

18 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I wonder how would an attacking dog react to a water pistol shooting directly at their face. Add a tiny amount of ground pepper in the water to strengthen the effect.

Well I don’t trust myself to aim the water gun when the dog is lunging at me. I think I’d have better luck with the area effect of the whistle, assuming I don’t get an asthma attack at that moment 😅

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 360rumors said:

Well I don’t trust myself to aim the water gun when the dog is lunging at me. I think I’d have better luck with the area effect of the whistle, assuming I don’t get an asthma attack at that moment 😅

You do you, I’m only going to ride with a SuperSoaker in my hand from now on!

(Seriously though, the dogs don’t want to attack the rider, they want to save us from the evil device that is pulling us poor humans around from our legs. As a secondary action they bark at our appearance, which tends to stop when we take the helmet off.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

Rip mixed German Shepherd 2022

Update this particular dog attacked a little girl on a bouncer at the beginning of the year (a small tricycle) and the dog is no longer with us on the earth was "put to sleep"💀 by a veterinarian on the recommendation of the police after the little girl will have scars for life. 

This is not a dog's fault but the owner's is my opinion.

The dog needs a hard hand and a big heart, but especially the owner's attention otherwise it becomes dangerous.

The dog's fault was that he had a bad owner and he let the dog be too territorial. 

Its always the owners fault. D*** stupid egoistic dog owners (!)   Same sh*t with rude teenagers - its the parents lack of proper upbringing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I ride with that much safety gear on that any stupid mutt that attacks is only likely to get a mouthful of leatt dual axis, then he will receive the size 12 boots to the side of the head.Yeah i look like a stormtrooper, but thats whats protection is for. ATGATT!:thumbup:

• Like 1

Said it before. I’ll say it again. Milk bones. Stop, play up to that little dog ego….” Hey killer, whatcha doin ? Come ‘ere killer. Who’s a killer ? Your a killer. Killer want a Milk Bone ?”. BF’sF w/ most dogs. Garunteed.

• Like 2

Apologies for the micro-threadjack, but I loved the Dog Whisperer! When the show was at its height, I stumbled across this stuff at the big box pet mart and just absolutely had to buy one. Two reasons: the Guaranteed Analysis says it’s “max 99% moisture”, which is a good thing—right? What's the other 1%… dryness? And I’m all for him cultivating multiple income streams. Anyway, in addition to being a true whisperer, he clearly had a lighter side.

https://postimg.cc/cv9R2cxb

https://postimg.cc/jWDHbJCd

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I found this video, which seems quite helpful.  It seems if you have a selfie stick, that could be useful for protect yourself.  

lol :thumbup:

That guy is the funniest dude I've encountered in a long time hahaha

Cross guard, tuck your chin lololo !!! push kick, holy crap I just can't stop laughing.

Bloody muay thai decedents, everyone knows Krav Maga is the only real dog defense :w00t2:

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2020 at 6:04 AM, DjPanJan said:

We returned slowly home and a dog started chasing/hunting us. Why hunt? Because he wait when we(me and dog) lost eye contact.

Unexpectedly, he ran out of the owner, who did not have him on a leash (fail). He started hunting us like his prey(ducks).

He jumped in our way.

How try to solve it?

Do not panic and try do not fall, slowly to slow down and try to keep moving away from the teeth of the hunting animal and do not run into it.(dodge teeth)

Use short loud strong scream on dog and be silent after.

He usually gives up soon after scream.

(warning)Acceleration therefore irritates him carefull and trigger chase instinct.

Best is to gradually reduce speed but not stop completly.(this rule working only when dog chase or hunt only)

If dog want kill/destroy you (It was not our/this/video case we "met" dog who love chasing/hunting)  is easy recognize he atack or sprint on you when rider and dog are in eye contact ,this is worst situation when definetly bite you this is fixable only by telescopic batton (or other weapon) idealy ownder intervention ,some dog are hyper dangerous when defending master or property never slow down or stop try go away from his "master" or "teritory" if is possible when you meet "battle dog".

"battle dog" make you crash and bite when you are on ground and nothing stop him tear you cloth and body only owner/violence/exhaustion stop him.

What dogs I call "battle dog" is not about size or breed, "battle dog" is the setting of the animal's mind certainly everyone in life has met with this type of dog is the type he likes when he hurts and others are afraid of it is the type of aggressive dominance.

We were lucky that the dog we met just wanted to chase and a little hunting for the black things that go on the road(EUC). When I saw what he was doing girl on KS16X it would be useless to pull out the telescopic baton just yell.

I like animals I am against harming animals, I would rather punish the owner, buy a dog and not train him, for obedience is the irresponsible behavior of the owner who threatens the surroundings of the bike path of children skaters skateboards and pedestrians and other smaller dogs.

Please share you advices/tips what to do and how avoid situations like this.

I realy want hear you personal  experiences and opinion.

I wish everyone many happy miles without incident/s.

I was confronted by a pit bull on a very narrow road. He was coming straight on at me and the only option I had was to try and run over him. Just as I got to him at about 15 mph he moved and tried to catch up with me and by then I was moving at about 22 mph. Luckily for me he couldn't catch up. 🤪 I always concealed carry but didn't want to shoot him so it worked out ok. If by chance I had hit him and we both survived I would have had no choice but to shoot the dog. I wouldn't necessarily recommend kamikazing as a safety measure lol, but it was my only option at the moment.  It happened so fast I didn't have much of an option as this dog is known as being vicious.  If they don't keep this dog up someone is going to get hurt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

I was confronted by a pit bull on a very narrow road. He was coming straight on at me and the only option I had was to try and run over him. Just as I got to him at about 15 mph he moved and tried to catch up with me and by then I was moving at about 22 mph. Luckily for me he couldn't catch up. 🤪 I always concealed carry but didn't want to shoot him so it worked out ok. If by chance I had hit him and we both survived I would have had no choice but to shoot the dog. I wouldn't necessarily recommend kamikazing as a safety measure lol, but it was my only option at the moment.  It happened so fast I didn't have much of an option as this dog is known as being vicious.  If they don't keep this dog up someone is going to get hurt. 

Unfenced dogs around here, like to run at cars and stop short. THEN they chase. I've been chased and stopped, ready for battle. Turns out, if you post up and get ready for it, they stop. Its usually just them playing. Perhaps next time, stop and see what the intent of the animal is? If you're geared like a paratrooper, what's to really worry about? If its KNOWN to be viscious, then why even contemplate what to do. Handle that wretched animal and it will never be a problem or danger to anyone again. There's no room around here for violent animals that are let loose. If it thinks it can attack YOU, why wouldnt it also pose a problem for children or other people who may not be as able to defend themselves? Do society a favor and dispatch of the animal.:eff02be2d7:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul A said:

Using a dog as an air bag?!? Dude that’s cruel!
J/k

• Haha 2