My Sherman Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

28 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Just came back from my first ride. 😃 it really is a different generation of wheels. Coming from the Z10 it feels like the wheel has suspension. Even in the strong mode it is a very soft ride. The acceleration is insane and you loose the feeling for speed. It just accelerates on and on and when you change the alarm from 40 something to 60 something km/h it just keeps going and the peep just comes later. It did not go faster then 60 km/h. After all it was my first ride. 🤣 

Returning home I immediately got on my Z10 to see what feels different. And then I had a kind of déjà vu: it felt like riding the old Ninebot E+ after having ridden the MSuper V3s+ . The Z10 is a nice wheel, it just does not have enough range and speed. But it’s nice for doing tricks in the park and commuting in the city. So they are not really comparable. It’s nice to have both. But before the Z10 just felt a little too slow, now it feels almost unbearably slow. The Sherman definitely sets a whole new benchmark.

But ... I never thought 45 would be insanity. 😝 I remember 2 years ago I was contemplating aloud in the forum how long it will take until the unicycle will let us cross the 100 km/h line and someone lectured me about pedal friction and the wind that would blow you off the wheel and and and. May that be ... but I still believe it will be done by someone somewhen soon. 🙃

The Sherman points the way in this direction. Once all the snow is gone and ️ snowboarders and skiers all discover the EUC as a satisfying alternative, there will be race tracks and EUC competitions and Olympic Games and with that comes speed and further development. And it will come fast. Mark my words. 

Congrats on getting your wheel up and running. There is nothing like that first ride on a new wheel. The Sherman has really brought back that feeling of why I love EUC's so much. If I had to describe the Sherman in one word it would definitely be "exhilarating". :lol:

• Like 3

My new Sherman seems to have a tire that is not running true.  I’ve seen recommendations for this issue on other wheels.  I deflated the tire and tried to reseat the tire a bit by squeezing the sides while deflated.  It doesn’t appear that the motor is running untrue.  I can’t feel anything while I’m riding it.  It’s the most stable wheel I’ve owned.  I’m just wondering if I need to worry about this?  Not eager to take this thing apart to put on a new tire.  Let me know if you have any ideas.  Thanks 

• Like 2

If you view the rim does it wobble also?  If the rim spins true than it probably is the tire. 

Edited by Paradox

I had a similar issue with my tire. I did what you originally did and first let the air out and squeezed around the tire trying to reseat it. Then I got on the wheel (still flat) and rolled it forward and back. Once I refilled it with air it was perfectly straight. Hope this helps.

@Shield Thanks for the suggestion.  I just gave it a try multiple times with  no success.  I definitely feel like it’s a tire issue.  I took this video and you can see the line near the bead of the tire go up and down.  Still not even.  I don’t see any wobble in the rim.

• Like 1

I used the line on the side of the tyre to get an idea of which direction to squeeze it. If you lay on the side and turn the wheel you can see the evolution of the distance between the rim aluminium rim and the line in the tyre rubber.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:40 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

You the MAN! I can call fastenal and order these now, instead of it takinng 2/2hr trips. I of course lost one screw in the yard already. I was just musing about how it would be pretty nifty to toss stainless hex in this bad boy. Thanks for the info, saves me a lot of time and possible headache!

I learned many moons ago never to do any disassembly/assembly work anywhere near grass. I guess you are just learning this life lesson ;)

On 9/20/2020 at 6:28 AM, Toshio Uemura said:

Just came back from my first ride. 😃 it really is a different generation of wheels. Coming from the Z10 it feels like the wheel has suspension. Even in the strong mode it is a very soft ride. The acceleration is insane and you loose the feeling for speed. It just accelerates on and on and when you change the alarm from 40 something to 60 something km/h it just keeps going and the peep just comes later. It did not go faster then 60 km/h. After all it was my first ride. 🤣 

Returning home I immediately got on my Z10 to see what feels different. And then I had a kind of déjà vu: it felt like riding the old Ninebot E+ after having ridden the MSuper V3s+ . The Z10 is a nice wheel, it just does not have enough range and speed. But it’s nice for doing tricks in the park and commuting in the city. So they are not really comparable. It’s nice to have both. But before the Z10 just felt a little too slow, now it feels almost unbearably slow. The Sherman definitely sets a whole new benchmark.

But ... I never thought 45 would be insanity. 😝 I remember 2 years ago I was contemplating aloud in the forum how long it will take until the unicycle will let us cross the 100 km/h line and someone lectured me about pedal friction and the wind that would blow you off the wheel and and and. May that be ... but I still believe it will be done by someone somewhen soon. 🙃

The Sherman points the way in this direction. Once all the snow is gone and ️ snowboarders and skiers all discover the EUC as a satisfying alternative, there will be race tracks and EUC competitions and Olympic Games and with that comes speed and further development. And it will come fast. Mark my words. 

Really glad that you are enjoying the new wheel Toshio. It's interesting how some newer wheels can make your previous wheel(s) seem very old :)

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 11:44 AM, Sketch said:

My new Sherman seems to have a tire that is not running true.  I’ve seen recommendations for this issue on other wheels.  I deflated the tire and tried to reseat the tire a bit by squeezing the sides while deflated.  It doesn’t appear that the motor is running untrue.  I can’t feel anything while I’m riding it.  It’s the most stable wheel I’ve owned.  I’m just wondering if I need to worry about this?  Not eager to take this thing apart to put on a new tire.  Let me know if you have any ideas.  Thanks 

Wow, that's really bad. When I moved the Demo tire to the new motor it hour about an hour of manipulation with my hands and a rubber mallet to get the tire running smooth. You may have to spend some time on this.

God I love Chinese quality control :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, that's really bad. When I moved the Demo tire to the new motor it hour about an hour of manipulation with my hands and a rubber mallet to get the tire running smooth. You may have to spend some time on this.

Thanks Marty,

It did get a little better, but not sure exactly what I would need to do to get it to seat any better.  I really can’t feel it when I ride it so I will probably just continue to ride it.  Most stable wheel I’ve owned. No wobble feeling at all for me at speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I learned many moons ago never to do any disassembly/assembly work anywhere near grass. I guess you are just learning this life lesson ;)

I blame the fact that my basement is in such shambles, I had to go outside for bearable camera background. No worries, stainless bolt set arrived, I needed order an assortment anyhow. You should see me working in the mud and now gravel driveway...on a hill. Some things just can't be avoided. I do miss the shop, massive compressors, tables, lights and lifts...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I thought it just meant 'Quintessentially Chinese' and nothing more :)

That’s what all of the guys, who are pasting the stickers, think, some even insist, it would mean „Quality Control“ but in fact it means QuacktaCular - Something that tastes as good as a duck, but doesn't quite reach the high standards of ducktacular (DC) as in Washington DC.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:48 PM, Marty Backe said:

Gotta deflate and flex the tire where it’s not true, overinflate, check the true and keep going. It’s not an easy process unfortunately due to how soft the tire is. 

• Like 3