My Sherman Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

Hopefully we could change the cables, I dont ride very aggressively but having the option when the power is there is nice. Would be too bad to fry something because I have to accelerate out of some traffic mess. At worse I might invest in an updated motor when they get available.. Same for the board, If they review the power input I'd like to replace it. (got the first batch same as Ben Kim)

Edited by null

4 minutes ago, null said:

Hopefully we could change the cables, I dont ride very aggressively but having the option when the power is there is nice. Would be too bad to fry something because I have to accelerate out of some traffic mess. At worse I might invest in an updated motor when they get available.. Same for the board, If they review the power input I'd like to replace it. (got the first batch same as Ben Kim)

The good news is even after riding the wheel pretty hard last few hundred miles, motor wires still look no problem. No melting or any hint of damage (I did take precaution to separate motor wires from hall sensor wires). 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

The good news is even after riding the wheel pretty hard last few hundred miles, motor wires still look no problem. No melting or any hint of damage (I did take precaution to separate motor wires from hall sensor wires). 

You won't manage to produce the necessary currents without serious continuous inclines involved. So that was to be expected:) First batch is good if you don't go up some crazy hill.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 8:10 AM, null said:

I'm confused. What changes will the ewheels first batch have? I thought they were delayed in order to add the thicker motor cables and firmware adjustments... 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

I'm confused. What changes will the ewheels first batch have? I thought they were delayed in order to add the thicker motor cables and firmware adjustments... 

I have the very first batch and might replace some of the components if they get worthy improvements in the future. No relation to ewheels..

Edited by null

1 hour ago, MrRobot said:

This was my understnding as well. 

6 hours ago, eve said:

@Marty Backe Can you ask Jason/Veteran if the added low speed torque affects top speed performance?

No I didn't. But according to my lift-test, it's about 3-mph slower than the previous version.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrRobot said:

I you buy the wheel from EWheels that it will have all the improvements shown in my video. EWheels 1st batch is not the same as Veteran's 1st batch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I you buy the wheel from EWheels that it will have all the improvements shown in my video. EWheels 1st batch is not the same as Veteran's 1st batch.

Ah, the agony of waiting. Im waiting on my 1st batch preorder from ewheels. Normally I'd be getting ansy, but I know theres a reason. I'm picky and have high expectations. I am surely hoping that Jason (to cover his own ass as well), is making us all wait for Veteran to make changes that will keep us from being so pissed off that we send it back. Jason stands to lose a TON of money, if he stands begind wheels he sells us, and they fukn blow up or are total pieces of shit. I dont like gambling, but it sure seems that is what E-wheels does daily.

I wasnt too upset the wheel didnt make the hill. This doesnt look to be a mountain climbing off road wheel. Its like taking a lamborghini to the rally races. Epic cars, but not for shit like that. I am hoping that Veteran doesnt lose sight of the top speed, in their quest to make it more a climber. I would think a simple temp alarm and throttling would have been good. Of course the extra duty upgrades in cabling and others, is even better.  I am buying this wheel in hopes that I can maintain a solid 45mph on fairly flat ground, and go for many miles. I WILL NOT accept a compromise on this, just so I can have a wheel that will make it up a hill in california that I will never replicate or attempt myself. I am only 135lbs and am NOT unrealistic or demanding in how I ride.

Cmon SHerman! Its starting to get cold here. I'd like to take it for a ride down the parkway and see the color in the trees. Waiting on a scooter for the wife, so she can join me. I hope for Jason's sake, Veteran doesnt miss anything obvious, and the first wheel they release is a massive success. With how expensive and bulky this thing is, dependability is paramount. Who wants to pay to have 80 damn pounds shipped around for hopes in repair? Not me!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Ah, the agony of waiting. Im waiting on my 1st batch preorder from ewheels. Normally I'd be getting ansy, but I know theres a reason. I'm picky and have high expectations. I am surely hoping that Jason (to cover his own ass as well), is making us all wait for Veteran to make changes that will keep us from being so pissed off that we send it back. Jason stands to lose a TON of money, if he stands begind wheels he sells us, and they fukn blow up or are total pieces of shit. I dont like gambling, but it sure seems that is what E-wheels does daily.

I wasnt too upset the wheel didnt make the hill. This doesnt look to be a mountain climbing off road wheel. Its like taking a lamborghini to the rally races. Epic cars, but not for shit like that. I am hoping that Veteran doesnt lose sight of the top speed, in their quest to make it more a climber. I would think a simple temp alarm and throttling would have been good. Of course the extra duty upgrades in cabling and others, is even better.  I am buying this wheel in hopes that I can maintain a solid 45mph on fairly flat ground, and go for many miles. I WILL NOT accept a compromise on this, just so I can have a wheel that will make it up a hill in california that I will never replicate or attempt myself. I am only 135lbs and am NOT unrealistic or demanding in how I ride.

Cmon SHerman! Its starting to get cold here. I'd like to take it for a ride down the parkway and see the color in the trees. Waiting on a scooter for the wife, so she can join me. I hope for Jason's sake, Veteran doesnt miss anything obvious, and the first wheel they release is a massive success. With how expensive and bulky this thing is, dependability is paramount. Who wants to pay to have 80 damn pounds shipped around for hopes in repair? Not me!

Two days ago Jason told me batch one will be shipping within 10-days. So the wait is almost over.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shield said:

That is great to hear, thank you for confirming. 

That is awesome news, now I'll be refreshing my emails 1000 times a day. :roflmao:

@Marty Backe Do you believe it is possible for apps to implement a speed/torque slider button? I think it would be amazing to be able to dial in the Sherman for more torque or more speed acoording to your needs via an app. I think you have proven that the Sherman can make it over OHH with a simple firmware tweak, so choosing between torque or speed shouldn't be that difficult to implement, It would surely make the Sherman even more versitile.

That is a really great idea, I would love that! I guess it would be very difficult to implement?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shield said:

That is great to hear, thank you for confirming. 

That is awesome news, now I'll be refreshing my emails 1000 times a day. :roflmao:

@Marty Backe Do you believe it is possible for apps to implement a speed/torque slider button? I think it would be amazing to be able to dial in the Sherman for more torque or more speed acoording to your needs via an app. I think you have proven that the Sherman can make it over OHH with a simple firmware tweak, so choosing between torque or speed shouldn't be that difficult to implement, It would surely make the Sherman even more versitile.

No, the motors are wound differently (speed vs torque). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

No, the motors are wound differently (speed vs torque). 

Although Veteran "appears" to have tweaked the firmware to make it feel more powerful on the low-end. Just my subjective observation.

Obviously bigger changes in torque do require a different motor configuration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

@Marty Backe, I'm not sure how you managed to keep the Sherman below 23 mph. That's good for an extreme range ride, but I'd imagine it's easy for your speed to creep up after riding for a while.

It's not too difficult when climbing, but otherwise, yeah. Of course next time I do this I can ride faster since now I know how much battery it'll actually use.

• Like 3