My Sherman Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

Or charge both to 100% and check the number is close, less back and forth with the plugs.

XT Plugs don’t always go right in, the edge doesn’t have much or any bevel to guide it.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, null said:

Or charge both to 100% and check the number is close, less back and forth with the plugs.

Sounds like a good plan:

So, I connect the first battery. No sparks? Charge it until the charger lamp lights green.
Then disconnect it. No sparks?

Then connect the second battery. No sparks? Charge until the charger lamp lights green. Leave it connected and then ...

... as fast as humanly possible (and may be with some gloves on?) connect the first battery. Hopefully little or no sparks ️?

Did I get that right?

Now I just have to wait until the batteries come. If they come! (Still no reply from my Chinese seller)

The transport manifest states 27.2 kg for the weight of the wheel. I think that is proof enough that no batteries were included in this shipment, even though a sticker on the box warns that there are batteries included in the box. 😝 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I hate sparks 💥 

Try to get some "anti spark connector extension" - for whatever connector the sherman uses (?xt90/60?). Found one for xt90 here https://www.amazon.com/XT-90-Female-Extension-Spark-Adapter/dp/B07DDNDK1S .

Did not find one for xt60 (as your connectors look like?) - maybe i used the wrong search term?

And a DMM (nothing fancy needed) - one wants to measure the batteries before connecting them. Even if both were fully charged before - one never knows if it was really succesfull.

as fast as humanly possible (a

A new world record is not needed, just no hesitation! :D

with some gloves on?)

If they do not hinder you and are of fireproof material (not plastic (fabrics) that can melt into the skin...)

Googles are a good idea, too.

But, as written with a dmm measurement and no hesitation everything should be ok.

With such an anti spark extension everything will be spark free. Just check battery voltages (difference <0.5V) and connect with the extension for some minutes. Then batteries are equilized and can be reconnected without the anti spark extension, still without sparks.

The same can be made with the connection to the motherboard - first connect with the anti spark extension so the capacitors get charged and the connect without the extension spark free!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hansolo said:

Anti spark model exist only in XT90

Ah - that's why there are just xt90-xt90 and xt90-xt60 anti spark extionsions available! So for xt60 one would need one female xt60-xt90 extension and one male xt60-xt90 extension...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Ah - that's why there are just xt90-xt90 and xt90-xt60 anti spark extionsions available! So for xt60 one would need one female xt60-xt90 extension and one male xt60-xt90 extension...

First I need to get the batteries ... 😢 still no answer from my seller at AliExpress. Let’s hope Monday I will get some answers. Thanks guys for all the helpful advice. Much appreciated.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chriull said:

or replace XT60 by XT90 anti spark

26 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I should bloody hope not! Not on the motherboard/batt outputs at least..

xt30's aren't usually the issue. It's usually the wire size that's the first issue.  I found this really nice video after I had done a little testing of my own. 

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you have the cash you're going to want to get this wheel.

I've got one on order, just have to patiently wait for the very, very Long Slow shipping process before it arrives!  I'll just have to keep checking back here for now, to hear your comments on the latest production version in order to keep myself sane!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The LCD panel edges are secured around the edges (not peeling up like the early copies)

Could you please post a picture of what you mean by secured edges. I want to compare it to my LCD panel. Mine looks like this:

And these are the pads that came with it. But I also ordered the Gotway power pads, because they will look cool on my new Sherman (So in case the batteries won’t arrive, it will at least be a beautiful art object for the entrance hall. 🤣)

2A0873B4-099C-48B2-B96B-4EF5F4CAF29E.jpeg

E4054D4F-DB54-4AB8-BEFE-DAC34F9293A0.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Could you please post a picture of what you mean by secured edges. I want to compare it to my LCD panel. Mine looks like this:

And these are the pads that came with it. But I also ordered the Gotway power pads, because they will look cool on my new Sherman (So in case the batteries won’t arrive, it will at least be a beautiful art object for the entrance hall. 🤣)

2A0873B4-099C-48B2-B96B-4EF5F4CAF29E.jpeg

There's a plastic protective film on top of the LCD screen, like there is on a lot of electronics that you buy. Just peel it off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

IMG_1652

Production Wheel Received

Today I received my personal Sherman and can't be more exited. Maybe because it's a virgin wheel (compared to the beat up one I got from NYC :)) but it seems to ride better. The pedal dipping feels even less. This firmware is certainly a bit newer than the last one I was using.

• Less pedal dip
  • When you unplug the charger the wheel now turns off instead of turning on and balancing :thumbup: (Veteran listened to us)
  • The flashing lights were changed from blue to red - I kind of preferred the blue, but I know a lot of you guys don't want any flashing - no worries, just don't turn them on
  • I like the side pads. Unlike every other pad that I've ever seen, these are molded and shaped (i.e., they are not flat) to perfectly fit the shape of the side panel
  • The LCD panel edges are secured around the edges (not peeling up like the early copies)

That's about all. Can't really think of anything negative. I have a hard time not believing that a boatload of these are going to sell. If you have the cash you're going to want to get this wheel.

And here you are, smiling like a Cheshire cat. 😊 congrats to the new e-horse in your stable. 🥳 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 6:34 PM, Chriull said:

Some cheap DMM will do - just ensure DC voltage measurement.

Maybe there's an easy way to use the build in voltage measurement over the LCD?

I bought myself a DMM as you recommended and today I got these installation instructions from my Chinese vendor (Intelligent Walking Store at AliExpress). May be they are of interest.

The batteries should finally arrive in the next two weeks. 😢 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I bought myself a DMM as you recommended and today I got these installation instructions from my Chinese vendor (Intelligent Walking Store at AliExpress). May be they are of interest.

The batteries should finally arrive in the next two weeks. 😢 

I thought there was supposed to be a fuse for the batteries or is that only for systems from eWheels?

• Like 1