EUC with USB port, reversed, 5V inside the wheel possible?

Lefteris

Hi, i'd like to ask the community for some help.

Now that our wheels cost more money and are widely known to (some) people, are prone to stealing. We had a case of a friend here in Greece that someone stole his KS16S when he was buying some coffee.

Me personally, i rock a Nikola Plus 100V with the 21700 cells, that from what i've seen so far from other wheels and my one, no-one uses the on-board USB charging port, so i thought why not REVERSING IT, so it can be used from inside the wheel for a specific purpose or even diy stuff.
For example see this :

Oa1peNM.gif

i've got so much empty space on the upper part of the wheel, a compartment that in other variants of the Nikola (or plus) is filled with extra battery pack or even the actual board (see Nikola 84V)

So, i'm thinking if i can have the 5V port inside the wheel i can install one of the following things :

• a gps tracker
  • a spare android phone that is used as a gps tracker
  • more speakers ( :P )

but last, the best thing that is missing from this wheel

• extra cooling fans

cause as @Marty Backe mentioned in his video "First impressions" at 13:40

e84gZlo.png

talks about the fan that is there just to circulate the air, cause this wheel doesn't have proper ventilation.

So.......
What are your opinions and/or suggestions about the reversal of the USB port, the possibilities are ""
i also have a raspberry pi3 with a x4 breadboard, i could do so many things inside the wheel, but first things first

i could REALLY install extra fans and circulate the air properly!!!

Does anyone know how to reverse the usb port and make it internal ?

maybe friends that know how things work, @esaj or @enaon ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Χρήστος Γεωργαμπλοπουλος said:

I'm also thinking of making precision cutouts in the shell to provide some proper airflow. You could use hydrophobic cloth to stop water and dust particles. 

Well that is a good mod, the hydrophobic cloth and/or paper, while protecting a puncture with a small grill

15 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

So.......
What are your opinions and/or suggestions about the reversal of the USB port, the possibilities are ""

The usb port should be connected somewhere to the mainboard? At this connector the supply voltage should be available!?

15 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

I also have a raspberry pi3 with a x4 breadboard, i could do so many things inside the wheel, but first things first

Raspberry pi (can) have quite high current demands. Disabling all unnecessary peripherie can help? Or the Zero has less consumption?

How are the sleep modes for the rasbperry? Or is the USB power supply off with the wheel turned off?

Imho some ESP (or any other arduino) could be more appropriate?

• Like 2

Wheels like MSX/MSP/Nikola/Tesla and KS18XL (and more) have external usb ports for e.g. charging your phone while riging, meh :P !

That port, if it can be reversed pointing to the inside of the wheel, you can really power stuff with 5V and 1amp.

Yes the raspberry pi is a power hungry little monster that doesn't play well with things, specially while it rocks a full linux based OS, but it's what i currently have at hand.

oh and these extra things

image.png.c6a6e741c061ab41d8970333d02ec09d.png

Maybe buy an arduino and play with 5V cpu fans or something?
edit: cause arduino does power up fast and maybe have a small battery pack or powerbank inside to regulate power and support when the wheel is off, i don't know, i'm pulling things out of my mind right now :P

Opinions?

Edited by Lefteris
  • Like 1

And @Chriull

is see projects like this

and this

and i see that i can really power something out while testing the port here.. (unlisted video of mine, just shoot)

and i think.... why not inverting the external usb to internal ;)

Well i've put my thoughts in some lines and clipart art :P, if i can reverse the usb to the inside,

image.png.4897f2eb12b83dcf64527d7c28303a13.png

the following is possible based on the space i'm left

frankie1.png.7a2a746ba6a14425abac40ae0ca47cd1.png

Then it's up to us to choose project, fans is the first, then remote controlled leds thru the phone, the shells of the nikola are transparent, even wheel info if there is BT LE module on the board/shield.. temperature sensor down near the board than will switch these 2 fans on when it gets more than 40°C inside the wheel, etc.

Ideas, opinions, suggestions ?

Edited by Lefteris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lefteris said:

One idea is to have the wheel cool-off your n*ts while riding

Telegram_jRCdDEnr98.jpg.c9a45ab2a7f8de6f99ab9c6ab9354e61.jpg

hahaahHAHaHAHAHAHAHahAhAhhHAAHAHAHH

If you fall forward, try to fall high, it's preferable to land on your face than....:roflmao:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lefteris said:

Well i've put my thoughts in some lines and clipart art :P, if i can reverse the usb to the inside,

image.png.4897f2eb12b83dcf64527d7c28303a13.png

the following is possible based on the space i'm left

frankie1.png.7a2a746ba6a14425abac40ae0ca47cd1.png

Then it's up to us to choose project, fans is the first, then remote controlled leds thru the phone, the shells of the nikola are transparent, even wheel info if there is BT LE module on the board/shield.. temperature sensor down near the board than will switch these 2 fans on when it gets more than 40°C inside the wheel, etc.

Ideas, opinions, suggestions ?

Cool idea!

Is the air-recirculating fan in the Nikola always on, or triggered by a thermostat? If it's the latter, I'd wire the fan directly to the board. 

About the USB ports, it's a good idea to take advantage of them to power things, since (unless I'm wrong) they're powered down when the wheel is. I don't think the term "reversing the ports" is entirely accurate though, it's just a matter of changing them to another location on the inside of the wheel. To take advantage of the hole left by the USB ports you could always do something like this:

And for the GPS tracker; what about the one that @Seba tried out? I'm not entirely sold about sticking a phone in the wheel because if you do, it'll be a cheap one, and I'm not sure I'd trust a cheap phone operating at the temperatures that the inside of the wheel reaches...

LEDs and extra speakers are a cool idea. I'd probably solder them to the same place as the original ones (supposing there's no power output limitation) and save the USB for something that's tricky to power any other way. 

Just a few thoughts. Keep us posted! :thumbup:

• Like 1

I did add some extra buzzers, as I ride the wheel at its limit all the time, and couldn't hear the beeps..

When I did the mod, I didn't have the tools to split the usb cable and take current from there. My solution was adding a 9V battery, but should last at least 6months or more.

Take a look Buzzers mod

you can use the usb instead of the 9V

• Like 2

Well @Sebrios that is a nice project, cause it's true, the beeps can't be heard if you go over 40km/h.

I've noted a beep/buzz speaker on my "buying stuff for the wheel" list, but first i'd like to move the port from the front of the wheel to the empty compartment on the upper part of the wheel, right under the main handle.

I believe the version of the Nikola that you have exposed the control board heat sink to the outside which should result in a much cooler running wheel. The first Nikola's (what I have) did not do this, so they ran much hotter. So I think the fan is a bit less important now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lefteris said:

i'd like to move the port from the front of the wheel to the empty compartment on the upper part of the wheel, right under the main handle

You can use a Y cable and connect it to the board... that way you dont loose the outer usb :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I believe the version of the Nikola that you have exposed the control board heat sink to the outside which should result in a much cooler running wheel. The first Nikola's (what I have) did not do this, so they ran much hotter. So I think the fan is a bit less important now.

No, it's the first batch of the 21700 cells version and it's all closed in :'( no way to spread the heat.

Well i can puncture the side cover and place a grill with hydrophobic cloth from the inside, but i'd like to have the shell intact, opinion?

58 minutes ago, Sebrios said:

You can use a Y cable and connect it to the board... that way you dont loose the outer usb :)

Well i don't use the USB port, and i'd like to move it to the inside, not replace it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lefteris said:

No, it's the first batch of the 21700 cells version and it's all closed in :'( no way to spread the heat.

Well i can puncture the side cover and place a grill with hydrophobic cloth from the inside, but i'd like to have the shell intact, opinion?

Well i don't use the USB port, and i'd like to move it to the inside, not replace it.

Really? That's surprising. So Gotway added the heatsink (exposed to the motor through the shell) to all the Nikola's, but they removed it for the 21700 version?

Do you have any pictures inside your Nikola with the control board removed? I'm curious about the geometry and why there's no space for the heatsink?

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Really? That's surprising. So Gotway added the heatsink (exposed to the motor through the shell) to all the Nikola's, but they removed it for the 21700 version?

Do you have any pictures inside your Nikola with the control board removed? I'm curious about the geometry and why there's no space for the heatsink?

Wait wait wait, when you say heatsink you mean the plaque of metal under the board?

658717819_.png.51dde4c6ad09ce0a30401aedda7f644f.png

Cause when i read your post i thought of something like this

1883873199_.png.7eca5c6755308d36191a8017c09ea786.png

I don't have a steady picture of the wheel, just a couple of videos i sent to my team to tell them the surgery started :P

12 hours ago, Lefteris said:

Wait wait wait, when you say heatsink you mean the plaque of metal under the board?

658717819_.png.51dde4c6ad09ce0a30401aedda7f644f.png

Cause when i read your post i thought of something like this

1883873199_.png.7eca5c6755308d36191a8017c09ea786.png

I don't have a steady picture of the wheel, just a couple of videos i sent to my team to tell them the surgery started :P

Yes, the fins underneath the board. There is a rectangular hole in the shell that exposes the spinning motor to the heatsink. There is a gasket that prevents water from getting into the shell. It's common practice on KingSong and most Gotway wheels.

The original Nikola did not have this but the new ones do (until you said yours doesn't).

• Like 2

Well the thing you describe is something that needs further investigation.

And i can't figure out an easy way to verify that, rather than opening up the wheel.

Maybe use some kind of flashlight and if i see the light coming through the motor-rim then it has the rect. hole?!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lefteris said:

Well the thing you describe is something that needs further investigation.

And i can't figure out an easy way to verify that, rather than opening up the wheel.

Maybe use some kind of flashlight and if i see the light coming through the motor-rim then it has the rect. hole?!

It's very easy to see by looking between the wheel/motor and the shell, using a strong flashlight. No need to open the wheel at all.

• Like 2

Even if there is a heatsink, the point now is that the wheel overheats within a few minutes of riding. especially if the weather outside is warm. In my mind no amount of fan airflow is going to keep the wheel cool, there is no airflow from the outside to the inner shell. But the fan surely needs to be replaced. 

What i'd do is make two strategically placed cuts in the shell. One in front and one on the back of the wheel. That could dissipate some of the overheated air. As mentioned before a hydrophobic cloth could work as a moisture and dust filter by covering these holes. 

Really i am surprised no one has done this mod before. Only drawback 'd be the need to inspect the insides one in a while for potential dust buildup. And i am deeply disappointed by the lack of quality control in Gotway products. 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 11:14 AM, Lefteris said:

Wheels like MSX/MSP/Nikola/Tesla and KS18XL (and more) have external usb ports for e.g. charging your phone while riging, meh :P !

That port, if it can be reversed pointing to the inside of the wheel, you can really power stuff with 5V and 1amp.

Yes the raspberry pi is a power hungry little monster that doesn't play well with things, specially while it rocks a full linux based OS, but it's what i currently have at hand.

oh and these extra things

image.png.c6a6e741c061ab41d8970333d02ec09d.png

Maybe buy an arduino and play with 5V cpu fans or something?
edit: cause arduino does power up fast and maybe have a small battery pack or powerbank inside to regulate power and support when the wheel is off, i don't know, i'm pulling things out of my mind right now :P

Opinions?

Lots of space heh, feeling that you might wanna scare them pesky thieves away, maybe also wanna scare some drivers that cross your path heh?

Jack a few of theese up to an alarm that also connects to phone by bluetooth :-)

dual usage as horn when the internal one isn't loud enough, i guess 5-10 of theese should make any illgal citicen BOUNCE ;)

https://m.banggood.com/5-PCS-Super-Loud-5V-Active-Alarm-Buzzer-Beeper-Tracker-95_5mm-for-Racing-Drone-p-1117207.html?rmmds=search#popupStatedetail

or something similar...there are those 120dB piezo alarms as well :-) no problem to hear "the beep" :-p

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 2