Lets talk about shoes

Mike Petrogeorge

No, this is not a post to tell you how cute your shoes are. I wanna know if shoes make a difference with your ride? 

When I first got into the EUC hobby, the very first thing I did is gather a bunch of safety gear before I even purchased the KS16s. Yea, I got the knee pads, elbow pads etc. But I also bought some steel toed shoes. Riding for 8 months or so, I always wore my steel toed shoes and never worried about getting my toes smashed. The other day, I left the house with a pair of Vans on my feet as I lugged the KingSong down the stairs. When I jump on the wheel whooshed away, noticed that the ride was a little different.  It seemed like I had "more spring in my step" if you will. I kinda liked the ride with the Vans over the steel toed shoes. So the question is, do shoes really matter,? Or, am I thinking crazy thoughts? What kind of shoes do you think is good for the ride? What kind of shoes look good on the ride?

• Like 1

There is actually a thread here somewhere discussing shoes. I go with Skechers every time. The memory foam insole makes all the difference for me. It really stops my feet aching as much as they did when I first started.

Though I must admit, as I have been buying protective gear - especially a couple of DAINESE jackets - I have been contemplating buying some DAINESE motorcycle shoes (not boots) just to see what they are like, plus the extra protection they give over a regular shoe. 

Oh and I didn't capitalise DAINESE, the forum did!!

Edited by Retrovertigo

2 hours ago, Mike Petrogeorge said:

No, this is not a post to tell you how cute your shoes are. I wanna know if shoes make a difference with your ride? 

When I first got into the EUC hobby, the very first thing I did is gather a bunch of safety gear before I even purchased the KS16s. Yea, I got the knee pads, elbow pads etc. But I also bought some steel toed shoes. Riding for 8 months or so, I always wore my steel toed shoes and never worried about getting my toes smashed. The other day, I left the house with a pair of Vans on my feet as I lugged the KingSong down the stairs. When I jump on the wheel whooshed away, noticed that the ride was a little different.  It seemed like I had "more spring in my step" if you will. I kinda liked the ride with the Vans over the steel toed shoes. So the question is, do shoes really matter,? Or, am I thinking crazy thoughts? What kind of shoes do you think is good for the ride? What kind of shoes look good on the ride?

Vans are my shoes of choice for riding but I get the ones with the cushy insoles. Shoes absolutely make a difference in ride quality! 

All around I think hiking shoes seem to be the best of all worlds, and especially anything mid or high top that still has flexibility.

Basically I think a medium-hard sole that is still flexible, soft insole, and ankle protection seems to be features you need for comfy riding.

For really long rides or aggressive riding though I've noticed some of my cushier fatter skate shoes (Globe, Osiris, DVS, DC, etc) are a little bit better since they grip better and have more padding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tenofnine said:

Basically I think a medium-hard sole that is still flexible, soft insole, and ankle protection seems to be features you need for comfy riding.

Exactly! The ratio of those features is admittedly up to the rider’s personal preferences. For my rough off-roading (and tender feet) I’ve prioritized the cushyness, and for me anything Adidas Boost has easily the best shock absorption. Unfortunately basketball shoes, while otherwise great, tend to be supported in a way that emphasizes the dihedral pedal angle in a bad way.

A waterproof Adidas Boost high-top that would fit and support better than either of my current Adidas’s would be a dream come true for me.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Exactly! The ratio of those features is admittedly up to the rider’s personal preferences. For my rough off-roading (and tender feet) I’ve prioritized the cushyness, and for me anything Adidas Boost has easily the best shock absorption. Unfortunately basketball shoes, while otherwise great, tend to be supported in a way that emphasizes the dihedral pedal angle in a bad way.

A waterproof Adidas Boost high-top that would fit and support better than either of my current Adidas’s would be a dream come true for me.

I've tried using Vans, and other shoes recommended here.  For whatever reason, I can't seem to get comfortable with any of them.  My feet tend to get numb after a short distance.

But for whatever reason, I have a pair of Ultra Boost that I always seem to go back to.  I find them super comfy and can go a pretty good distance without feeling any pain or numbness.

• Like 1

I want share my perosnal experience. I try 4 types shoes for EUC. Best one i found is strong reinforced type, from company who give shoes to Czech republic army and police.

Here is link this boots looks like weapon with my size 47 EU :) But is not is realy confortable and support leg very good. I no have pain in legs after 2 hours ride. With classic confection shoes i feel pain after 30 min.

https://eshop.prabos.cz/en/profi-line/452-209-s10423-nanga-gtx-seda.html

I just want say give chance "profesional shoes" this products is made for 12+ hours use. And in case of crash you leg fingers wil never be damaged. Most cases "small euc" crashes you foot is first part you body what hit ground. And bonus is i was bite big dog to my foot on EUC no blood no hematom just little damaged/scratched shoes. If i imagine this dog big tooths vs  confect shoes like adidas,  wans, nike, etc . Safety first!  

Gore-tex

s10423-nanga-gtx-seda.jpgWaterproof Absorption of energy in heel part Anti-slip

Edited by DjPanJan

38 minutes ago, manu said:

Has anyone tried Vibram Fivefingers? I guess it's not ideal, but I use them a lot as casual shoes and I'm not sure if I'll be able to use them when I get my EUC.

Don't worry, minimalist shoes are perfectly viable for EUC. ;) For me thin soles are the best because it's easier to keep circulation going. Especially since I'm overweight.

Edited by atdlzpae

Best shoes for me are cushy ordinary sneakers. After reading good things on the forum from people using flat soled shoes I did try a pair of Vans. Didn't work for me at all, not comfortable at all and made for a jarring ride experience. The upside I guess would be them being flat, but hey, that's what calibration is for. Now, since it's allegedly winter here (no snow here yet this winter, but it's colder at any rate) I'm riding with the winter shoes with harder soles. Again, not nearly as comfortable as cushy sneakers, but they also provides a lot less grip. I never really had a problem with the original rubber Nikola pedals during spring/summer, but quickly had to switch them to grip tape when it was time for the winter shoes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atdlzpae said:

Don't worry, minimalist shoes are perfectly viable for EUC. ;) For me thin soles are the best because it's easier to keep circulation going. Especially since I'm overweight.

That's good, because indestructible pro-shoes are really not my style, and I intend to use EUC to get from point A to point B, so casual shoes, casual riding would be best for me. I gess if I end up wanting to ride at 60Km/h on dirt tracks, I will end up dressing apropriately.

Coming from bike commuting i started with specialized shoes (clipless, etc) then grew weary of carrying and changing shoes.

I also like to show up places ready to go so I just swap insoles whenever I ride to add support, comfort to whatever kicks I have on.

I’m also a Sneakerhead, and love stylish sneakers. So whether it be a pair of retro Jordan’s,  Addidas Boost, or New Balance 574’s I arrive in style. 

I actually like a good stiff pair of high top basketball shoes.

Has some abrasion protection for ankles and won't come off so easily.

Stiffer shoes also let you get a bit wider positioning since it supports you more.

If you watch motorcycle crashes, the squids always lose their shoes... to be fair they're going a lot faster but still...

If you can just kick off your shoes when you take them off, imagine what might happen at >40km/h

Motorcycle shoes are too stiff and I can't feel anything through them so those are out.

To each their own!

• Like 2

Just now, scotchtape said:

I actually like a good stiff pair of high top basketball shoes.

Has some abrasion protection for ankles and won't come off so easily.

Stiffer shoes also let you get a bit wider positioning since it supports you more.

If you watch motorcycle crashes, the squids always lose their shoes... to be fair they're going a lot faster but still...

If you can just kick off your shoes when you take them off, imagine what might happen at >40km/h

Motorcycle shoes are too stiff and I can't feel anything through them so those are out.

To each their own!

Lebron James’s signature shoes are perfect for those reasons. Wicked supportive, comfy and strong. 

Hmmm  I suppose that’s what a shoe designed for a 6’8” 260 pound guy who runs like the wind and jumps up and down for a career would be.. 

I always wear Vans Sk8 high, they support my ankles and i feel very connected to the wheel.

A few days ago i went to a motorcycle shop and found some nice ones with a half price offer of 19.99€.

They are lightweight and really comfortable. I will buy 2 more tomorrow. :D

Euc shoes

Euc shoes

• Like 1

After all this reading here and other places, I find a common thread. Everybody's feet are different and everybody has different preferences. So, biggest lesson I learned from this is that one can not buy shoes off of Amazon, unless you know what your buying. I bought some slip on Vans off of Amazon, and mistakenly took them on a ride. Then I discovered a "pep in my step" while on the EUC (good). But unfortunately, the Vans did not work for me. because they were so uncomfortable my feet (bad). I then went to a local skate board shop and found a pair of DCs. In the store, you have to look, feel, and think about your shoe. I got home jump on my wheel with these new shoes (even though it was 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 Celsius)) and the ride was GREAT!  Shoes do make a difference! Wow! I will try this new brand for a while and see how it goes. But I will tell you this, the Vans are in the garbage. I never want to see them again. Although I did get a better ride from them. So, I guess they did some good. Word to the wise: Like a helmet, you can't buy shoes off of Amazon unless you worn them before and know what you're buying.

• Like 3

Just keep in mind these things: comfort and surface area.

Essentially your shoes are the only thing preventing you from sliding of your wheel. Hence vans, or a shoe with flat bottoms, have the most surface area in contact with the pedal, hence why people like them.

Comfort is the other thing which you hinted on in your last post. Everyone's foot is different. I have extremely high arches so vans are out for me. At work I have to wear steel toes and my work pays for safety shoes so I found the only pair with a flat bottom (van lookalikes) and put a bunch of arch supports in it.

When I wear sandals, regular shoes or go barefoot, there is definitely a difference in the response of the wheel to my input.

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Nils said:

The upside I guess would be them being flat, but hey, that's what calibration is for.

People don’t prefer a flat outer sole because of the pedal angle or calibration. Most shoes have a sloped toe and heel to make the heel impact and toe lift off smoother while walking. These slopes lift the opposite end up and decrease our balance when accelerating or braking on an EUC. That is not what we want to happen.

Try a pair of MBTs (or other round bottom shoes) to get the clearest understanding on why a flat outer sole is preferred... :shock2:

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

People don’t prefer a flat outer sole because of the pedal angle or calibration. Most shoes have a sloped toe and heel to make the heel impact and toe lift off smoother while walking. These slopes lift the opposite end up and decrease our balance when accelerating or braking on an EUC. That is not what we want to happen.

Try a pair of MBTs (or other round bottom shoes) to get the clearest understanding on why a flat outer sole is preferred... :shock2:

Good point, I was thinking more along the lines of the cushioned heels providing a slight forward tilt. I haven't really thought about that aspect being problematic, but even my winter shoes are sloped both  front and back. Not something that bothers me personally, but perhaps it's worse for those with smaller feet.

12 hours ago, Nils said:

perhaps it's worse for those with smaller feet.

That, and there are large differences between various shoes. From perfectly flat Vans to MBT round bottoms, there are shoes every possible ”step” of the way. Many sloped shoes are soft enough to let the toes touch the ground without lifting the heel, but then again many aren’t.

22 hours ago, mrelwood said:

People don’t prefer a flat outer sole because of the pedal angle or calibration.

My preferred EUC shoe is a Timberland Pro Powertrain alloy toe. Flat bottom sole with excellent traction and wear characteristics. Had my first pair more than a year, worn (and ridden in) basically daily. Timberland's anti-fatigue insoles are excellent too, if not a bit pricey as an add-on. Sizes run large and wide, I wear a full size smaller in this shoe than I do in other brands. 

On 2/19/2020 at 11:16 AM, manu said:

Has anyone tried Vibram Fivefingers? I guess it's not ideal, but I use them a lot as casual shoes and I'm not sure if I'll be able to use them when I get my EUC.

I'm riding both of my wheels with my fivefingers sometime and it's no problem, works fine.

If you like your fivefingers you'll like to ride your EUC with them.