Lets talk about shoes

Mike Petrogeorge

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

That, and there are large differences between various shoes. From perfectly flat Vans to MBT round bottoms, there are shoes every possible ”step” of the way. Many sloped shoes are soft enough to let the toes touch the ground without lifting the heel, but then again many aren’t.

Yep, the MBTs would be on the extreme end of things :) I used a pair of those way back, really special kind of shoes.. They've recently helped my wife with her heel spurs so there's something to be said for them.

With regards to EUCs I'd also think that it would depend on how you ride, some people seem to want their feet firmly planted at all times whereas I personally shift my feet around a lot while riding.

I usually wear Skechers, as I have mentioned many times here :) But I did think about protecting my ankles. They are already busted up from a motorcycle accident, and I do find wearing boots to be uncomfortable to say the least.

So I went looking for a more basketball shoe type thing, and found these DAINESE Motorcycle shoes on sale. The style may not be to everyone's tastes, and the inner sole is certainly not as soft as any Skechers I own. But they do offer nice protection around the ankle. One benefit is actually that the sole is quite stiff.....these are not designed for walking in really. But I find that stiffness quite nice on the pedals while riding.

This is them - should have been something like £140, but are in their winter sale for £70 I believe it was.

IMG_20200227_124338.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve ridden EUC with my whole shoe collection (sneakers, Vans, Skechers, boots, dress shoes), and at the end of the day it really doesn’t matter. If you have foot pain, you’re standing on it wrong. Try standing further up on the pedals with your heels flush against the edges. 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

I’ve ridden EUC with my whole shoe collection (sneakers, Vans, Skechers, boots, dress shoes), and at the end of the day it really doesn’t matter. If you have foot pain, you’re standing on it wrong. Try standing further up on the pedals with your heels flush against the edges. 

Nope, shoes definitely have a huge impact on foot pain. :) Or at least sole pain.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 2