Nikola... what have you done or will do!

Don't forget to cover those new speakers with hydrophobic speaker cloth to protect against water damage!  

@Marty Backe made a video on it, based on @Dzlchef 's original speaker mod, IIRC. I would definitely do that too if I had my own Nikola.

That was a while ago, wonder how well its holding up for him in all those SoCal mountain rides...

Edited by Blueblade
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Blueblade said:

Don't forget to cover those new speakers with hydrophobic speaker cloth to protect against water damage!  

@Marty Backe made a video on it, based on @Dzlchef 's original speaker mod, IIRC. I would definitely do that too if I had my own Nikola.

That was a while ago, wonder how well its holding up for him in all those SoCal mountain rides...

I haven't opened mine up since doing the mod, but I only ride through little puddles, so I'm sure it's fine. I added it as a bit more insurance.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2020 at 9:10 AM, Blueblade said:

I didn't use the cloth but plan on adding during my upcoming tire change. The speakers still sound great and I've ridden through a bit more water than Marty but not much since it doesn't rain often here. A must do mod unless you get the new upgraded speakers with the passive radiator. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kristof Willen said:

a 'real' rear light for the miserable light excuse that is the embossed GW logo

I've been wondering if anyone has tried dremeling out the GW logo tail-light and replacing it with just a circular 'lens'/diffuser. Something I might try the next time I need to disassemble my wheel for any other reason.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

I've been wondering if anyone has tried dremeling out the GW logo tail-light and replacing it with just a circular 'lens'/diffuser. Something I might try the next time I need to disassemble my wheel for any other reason.

If I had one I might try just cutting out a wide circle around it say 1.5cm wide circle leave just a cm or so connecting at the bottom, or top and bottom.  Then you have a nice large red taillight ring, with the GW logo in the middle.  Although I'm not against taking out the logo as you suggest, that is probably easier.

Edited by FreeRide

I also added a rear light. But since I count on dropping the wheel a bit in the beginning I fitted a small bicycle light in the split just below the handle. This way the light actually could survive a minor fall. It's also easy to remove to charge.

nikola_light.jpg

• Like 1

This machine needs a mudguard. Really annoying they don't come fitted as standard. Here's my take. Made from one of those things you might have sitting around the kitchen sink.

mudguard.thumb.jpg.610faf7ba52afdea121e2c92d82fc31b.jpg

Well, I don't anymore, mine turned into a mudguard that extends about 14 cm (5.5 inches) down. It ain't pretty, but it works well.

nikola_mudguard.thumb.jpg.1c9d69ee369759a13e0107d2d87296b4.jpg 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 12:59 PM, AtlasP said:

woah no need to take a dremel to it haha you can easily remove the plastic piece that makes the "GW" and it will just be like any other normal tail light

heres a close up view.. im pretty sure its just a black piece of plastic thats blocking the light from outside of the letters GW.. just remove that piece of plastic and you have a normal tail light

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-znakomstvo-4.jpg

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

woah no need to take a dremel to it haha you can easily remove the plastic piece that makes the "GW" and it will just be like any other normal tail light

heres a close up view.. im pretty sure its just a black piece of plastic thats blocking the light from outside of the letters GW.. just remove that piece of plastic and you have a normal tail light

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-znakomstvo-4.jpg

Huh, I hadn't actually looked very closely. I assumed the lettering was cut into/out of the casing. Either way I wasn't planning to disassemble just to mess with it, but as I said the next time I do need to disassemble it for any reason I guess I'll find out and go from there. :-)

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Huh, I hadn't actually looked very closely. I assumed the lettering was cut into/out of the casing. Either way I wasn't planning to disassemble just to mess with it, but as I said the next time I do need to disassemble it for any reason I guess I'll find out and go from there. :-)

You'll need to split the shell to do this mod, which is sort of a pain on some Nikola variants. But not much more of a pain than on any other GW wheel.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 9:29 AM, Kristof Willen said:

My mods :

IMG_20200214_093028.jpg

What was the mudguard printed out of? I printed it in PLA but it was too stiff to squeeze onto the wheel and ended up shattering. Perhaps I just need to print it at a lower infill. 

1 hour ago, Blank said:

What was the mudguard printed out of? I printed it in PLA but it was too stiff to squeeze onto the wheel and ended up shattering. Perhaps I just need to print it at a lower infill. 

unless the mudguard was like an inch thick its going to be solid regardless of your print settings lol.. that one doesnt appear to be "fitted" just adhered, same as i did with my KS16S.. in PLA been holding up to every day user for many months, solid... if youre having trouble fitting it in just heat it up with a hairdryer good before you fit it, a heat gun can work too but very quick passes as it will melt something that thin almost instantly lol

20190928_155906.jpg

On 8/13/2019 at 5:32 AM, yourtoys7 said:

I see there is so many threads about Nikola, I did this or Im planing on doing that. Would be nice to have all in one place. 

Getting my Nikola soon (it has been shipped :))

1.Slime,

2.Replace speakers,

3.Paint or car apply car strip (someone posted earlier but I cant find it now), 

4.Replace grip tape on pedals,

5.Custom leg/ ankle pads.

Share what you've done and links to purchase, thanks.

I'd like to try slime on that wheel, cause the Z10 had tubless and the Nikola doesn't.

The speakers, well if it's the new system on the 21700 i've ordered i may be ok! About the body, i'd definitely buy some decals, or even print some for it.

The pedals is an issue, i'll figure out what to do about them when i finally get the wheel. Ankle pads and such, nah maybe some slim rubber stickers only for not touching the wheel..

17 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

I'd like to try slime on that wheel, cause the Z10 had tubless and the Nikola doesn't.

The speakers, well if it's the new system on the 21700 i've ordered i may be ok! About the body, i'd definitely buy some decals, or even print some for it.

The pedals is an issue, i'll figure out what to do about them when i finally get the wheel. Ankle pads and such, nah maybe some slim rubber stickers only for not touching the wheel..

same speaker.. i unplugged mine because the shrill ear piercing startup beep is so bad and i was too lazy to bypass it since i dont ever use euc speakers anyways.. pedals were changed to sandpaper forever ago, only the very earliest batches had rubber.. it includes pads with adhesive that are left off by default, they are far from slim however... some people trim them down, not recommended unless maybe you had some sort of jig to make a straight cut.. even so, the foam once cut will be very difficult to put tape on, so the surface would need to be coated unless you want your pads peeling off constantly, much easier to just get some thin foam

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, Blank said:

I printed it in PLA but it was too stiff to squeeze onto the wheel and ended up shattering. Perhaps I just need to print it at a lower infill. 

I heated the print up a little with a hairdryer, just so its slightly softer, then it bends with no problem.

On 2/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, Blank said:

It's PLA.  It was a bitch to put in place, and indeed started to crack a bit.  Next time I think I'll opt for some softer plastic. 

After getting absolutely drenched on my 30 minute ride home I wanted to check out how well the hydrophobic speaker cloth was holding up. I was pleasantly surprised that the inside of the wheel was bone dry all around, speaker chamber included.

While I had it apart, I finally decided to follow through with the speaker replacement. I had bought some Dayton audio fullrange speakers and kept putting off the install: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dma58-4-2-dual-magnet-aluminum-cone-full-range-driver-4-ohm--295-582#lblRecentlyViewedProduct

They needed a few minutes of sanding to fit (from 56mm->53mm wide) and they just barely fit the speaker box (they're taller than stock) but it's done! Very pleasantly surprised at the amount they muffle the startup sound. Did some before/after measurements of the startup sound from 1ft away:

• Stock speakers: 93db
  • Dayton speakers: 79db

79db is so much more livable, I'll no longer alert the entire office when I'm leaving. Now I bet only the floor I'm on will notice.

Speakers sound better as well but that's a secondary benefit. Did some rough measurements and it's getting decent bass extension down to about 100hz before falling off a cliff. Overall really happy with the results, both the overall waterproofing of the wheel and the startup sound no longer being a screaming banshee.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BoseHeadphones said:

Speakers sound better as well but that's a secondary benefit.

I think installing the $2 relay board would’ve been quicker than making oversized speakers fit. And it would’ve completely eliminated the startup sound.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I think installing the $2 relay board would’ve been quicker than making oversized speakers fit. And it would’ve completely eliminated the startup sound.

Agreed, I had bought these speakers half a year ago with the wheel and needed to put them to work. Relay might still be in the cards but I think it's quiet enough now to avoid having an HR complaint filed.

• Like 2