Electric Unicycle Wins Over a Big Onewheel Enthusiast

Jimmy Chang

11 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

One of the first rides I did on the KS16S and I overestimated the range, was listening to the power alert for 4 miles, ended up about walking speed by the time I reached my car.  Not good, I know.   I’ve now got range down after 2000km on the wheel.  At 200lbs with backpack and gear avg 15 mph, I can get 22 miles before I hit 40% battery limiting speed.  I can get another 10-12 miles but the last several would be ridiculously slow. 

riding completely non conservatively (max speed, varied terrain, large hills etc), i can easily get that max range with 20% remaining on a 16S.. 120 lbs though.. the range listed on ewheels i dont find to be overestimated.. merely as you would get riding in a slightly more battery conscious manner.. if youre 200 lbs+ and riding near max speed it would be less than the advertised.. if you go to the manufacturer or another re-seller they will list it as like 75-90 km which is an absolute joke.. i mean sure if youre 100 lbs and going at 15 kmph on tarmac you might be able to get that, which obviously no one is.. but i find ewheels to be quite honest in the listings

btw, if you want some great real world knowledge, you can watch some of ians videos on youtube (speedyfeet) where you can see a pretty much worst case scenario of an average sized rider, on rough terrain in the cold.. that way you know you will always at least be able to do that.. better safe than sorry, he has great reviews and range tests on way more than one of every battery size and euc size available

Edited by Rywokast

8 hours ago, Dave U said:

My son gets 40 miles on his KS16S, average speed @ 15 mph on sunny days, he weighs in at 110 lbs. I get 32 miles on my KS18L, weighing in at 195 lbs. 

Another good reason for me to lose weight.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jimmy Chang said:

Great information. I'll have to scrap my 40 mile ride I was planning on doing tomorrow. j/k.

I'm all about safety and that is why I started my OW blog and YT channel in the first place. If the EUCs are leagues safer than the Onewheel, then that already makes me a huge fan. The Onewheel has a certain cool factor, but nosedives are not cool and you see it happening so frequently on the OW Facebook groups. I absolutely hate the fact that Future Motion advertises a top speed of 19 miles. While true, going at the top speed leaves little room for error on a Onewheel and any extra strain on the motor results in a devastating nosedive.

For the record, I don't want to shit on Onewheels, the concept is great. They may not be as practical as EUCs due to the form factor - EUCs have bigger tires for uneven ground, and their ridable incline isn't geometrically limited by a board in the front and back like on a Onewheel (I always wondered what happens if you take a Onewheel down a hill that is so steep that the board can't be level and must be tilted forwards... can you no longer brake?). But that's not the point, the point is to be a land board, and it's so much better at that than eboards. Very cool devices.

It's just that very early, crappy EUCs simply switched off on overload without warning, which seems to be the thing the Onewheels still do (because their tech is that old and was never significantly improved). Back when EUCs were this shitty, I was hoping the Futuremotion would make a EUC, because unlike these clueless Chinese, they must know what they're doing, right? I was shocked to learn that even with the glacial progress in EUCs, these were quickly miles ahead, with faceplants (nosedives) going from real (if unlikely) possibility to being a thing of the past, while Onewheelers still complain about frequent and unpredictable nosedives like it's 2014. I'm getting the impression that Futuremotion just licensed some old tech and might not even be able to get to the current level of the EUC manufacturers (with their inhouse tech) if they wanted to.

Which makes it doubly frustrating (and incomprehensible) that the EUC manufactueres just don't bring out Onewheel clones of their own. The tech is 100% there, exact same thing, they can use all their usual parts (except for the motor), all that changes is the form factor. They could wipe the floor with FM and make them get off their complacent monopoly asses, make bank, and finally give people decent Onewheels without nosedives and with 2x the speed and 5x the range and half the price. An mten3 EUC (small, fun, novelty thing) with a wodden board put on it easily beats any Onewheel in specs and costs half the price, that's the state of things.

11 hours ago, Jimmy Chang said:

From what I understand, EUCs have additional backup power once you reach the top speed and warning mechanisms to tell you to slow down before you reach critical speed. The Onewheel needs that.

Nah, EUCs just have bigger batteries (the most important safety thing), stronger motors. There's nothing fundamentally different. You could build a Onewheel out of EUC parts with only a little firmware change and a new motor. The current Onewheels are simply too weak to be safe, that's all. I guess that's why any safety margin is smaller there. But the margin size is only a firmware thing.

As for additional warning mechanisms, EUCs have always beeped at you before they (possibly) did a tiltback (tilting the pedals back, just like the thing the Onewheel does where it tilts the board back which has its own name I forgot). Insane that Onewheels still don't do this obvious thing. (We're also hoping for a small vibration motor in the wheels as a third, lower key method of alerting the rider, for now you can only have a vibrating phone with the right app).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Chang said:

With all the advantages that EUCs have over the Onewheel, one of the big advantages the Onewheel has is the relatively easy learning curve. I teach a lot of people how to ride a Onewheel and it only takes a few minutes to get them going. The dismount is always the hardest part of the Onewheel and it looks like they solved that with the new Simple Stop available on the Pint. I love to teach and I want to teach everyone how to ride the EUC. The problem is it will take more time, effort, and skill than most of the general public is willing to sacrifice. Is there a solution to that? If you've seen my previous YT videos I've taught many friends, family and strangers how to ride the Onewheel. Still trying to work out in my head how I will teach others how to ride the EUC. But first, I need to improve my skills before I do any teaching. Thanks for the advice.

And you learned to ride the EUC exceptionally fast. Don't expect to see that repeated with most people, unfortunately.

I agree that the short learning curve of the Onewheel is a huge advantage.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

Still trying to work out in my head how I will teach others how to ride the EUC.

There's a trick, ideally it requires two EUCs. The other person simply gets on with the help of a wall/pole (and just needs the skills to stand on the thing relaxedly), holds on to your hand/arm, and you ride together like this. The learner can use you as much or little for balance as needed at any point. Gets anyone going on an actual ride instantly (very motivating), and then the learning comes really fast (also very motivating). Stepping on (and everything else) is for later.

But you using a Onewheel should also work (or a bicycle or ...).

This "hold on to other vehicle" method works much faster than having the other person learn alone, like you did.

IMHO ( <— rare thing for me :innocent1:)

Many people are quite sure that they could never learn to ride a EUC. The first 5 minutes on the EUC has a way of confirming that notion. My wife was very sure that whatever it takes to ride a EUC, she did not have. The trick for these people is to spend just 15 minutes a day on the wheel. The brain processes the information learned during that 15 minutes for the rest of the day. For many people spending more than 30 minutes a day only makes the learning harder. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

An mten3 EUC (small, fun, novelty thing) with a wodden board put on it easily beats any Onewheel in specs and costs half the price, that's the state of things.

Yes the Mten3 could easily be transformed into a onewheel. Actually modifying an inexpensive fiberglass snowboard might be better. Go for it Meeps! :popcorn:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Chang said:

With all the advantages that EUCs have over the Onewheel, one of the big advantages the Onewheel has is the relatively easy learning curve. I teach a lot of people how to ride a Onewheel and it only takes a few minutes to get them going. The dismount is always the hardest part of the Onewheel and it looks like they solved that with the new Simple Stop available on the Pint. I love to teach and I want to teach everyone how to ride the EUC. The problem is it will take more time, effort, and skill than most of the general public is willing to sacrifice. Is there a solution to that? If you've seen my previous YT videos I've taught many friends, family and strangers how to ride the Onewheel. Still trying to work out in my head how I will teach others how to ride the EUC. But first, I need to improve my skills before I do any teaching. Thanks for the advice.

I would agree, but I'd also say this is a deficit to the OW as well. It has a very low glass ceiling.

After learning the basics to riding an EUC I felt a burst of accomplishment that eclipsed pretty much anything else I had taught myself or learned (piano, bike, skateboard, etc). You get this feeling of being part of an exclusive population that can handle one of these things.

After learning more advanced maneuvers and getting to the point where it was so natural it felt like it was reading my mind? Well at that point it felt like a bionic attachment and this skill I was learning seemed invaluable. It seems like something you can teach someone and it's worth teaching (OW almost anyone can learn on their own). IMO people pay money for lessons to learn much more worthless things.

And with the EUC what is so exciting is that the sky is the limit, there is so much you can do and so much still not discovered. Steep but fast learning curve, near infinite capacity for mastering, surprising amount of stability and versatility. There are 2-3 moments where it just clicks while learning an EUC and that feeling is pretty awesome.

I've seen people bust their butts on OW's while learning because it will roll on you if you don't lift off the pad, and I've seen a lot of nose dives and other malfunctions. On an EUC it's actually kind of hard to hurt yourself unless you are going way too fast or you are riding on real low battery. It will always keep you front to back you just have to worry about side to side. Unlike a OW, Segway, or Hoverboard you actually can't make it fling out from under you by getting off it wrong or applying asymmetrical weight.

I did learn pretty fast personally (a few hours - day ) so maybe my view i tainted by that, but I think anyone with some kind of athleticism or action sports experience can pick up as quick if not quicker. I think on an EUC you definitely have to be in some kind of shape, You don't have to be skinny or ripped but just have muscle and balance proportionate to your weight. In descending order I think One Wheel, e-skateboards, and e-bikes have the advantage of being easier to ride for out of shape or non-athletic people (I guess this can percieved as an upshot to these PEVs).

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 2

@tenofnine

Ten of Nine ???..... Does not compute! Must self destruct!! ERror .. EERRor  EERRRROR!!!!’nn hdjdjdj ..... 

( Star Trek..... 7 of 9 ... , Captain Kirk and the all knowing canister vacuum cleaner ..... ... never mind)

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

@tenofnine

Ten of Nine ???..... Does not compute! Must self destruct!! ERror .. EERRor  EERRRROR!!!!’nn hdjdjdj ..... 

( Star Trek..... 7 of 9 ... , Captain Kirk and the all knowing canister vacuum cleaner ..... ... never mind)

I took this screen cap 6 years ago while watching voyager....found it on my FB when I posted it. it's almost eerie how perfectly it fits your post. Janeway can't handle standing next to the goddess that is Jeri Ryan *bleep boop bzzzz*.

164988_10100822595464145_31350557_n.jpg?

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

........ And I thought I was pushing the wheel by bumping the tilt so often..... 

I can just see or beloved KingSong rep testing the KS16s at 47.9 Km/h :D

The kS16s is fading from popularity but it is still a beautiful wonderful wheel. :thumbup:

Wow...just to make it clear...These are "no load" Scenarios...with load it is less….

Just saying...so no One please gets to the idea to ride the Tiltback like crazy!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, US69 said:

Wow...just to make it clear...These are "no load" Scenarios...with load it is less….

Just saying...so no One please gets to the idea to ride the Tiltback like crazy!

Yes, Sorry!! Joking!!! 

I do ride close to tilt. I do not intentionally pass tilt or ride tilted. Up hill , beeps and low batteries must be respected. Post deleted. 

This whole last-mile-electric-personal-transport thing is interesting. The factors I was considering:

• roadworthy
  • speed / acceleration
  • portability
  • range
  • fun
  • price (but pretty similar across all devices, so not really a factor)

OW: portable and fun to ride, roadworthy because of the fat tire, but speed and range were low (less fun)

Electric Skateboard: a one inch gap in a sidewalk sends you flying off the front, so not very roadworthy, but fun to ride, portable, low range

Electric scooter: dead simple to ride but low fun factor, worst portability because of size and weight, tons of speed and range, best road-worthiness

EUC: big wheel = roadworthy, super fun (once past learning curve), fast, portable, tons of range

So the EUC seemed to be the best mix. After watching a few videos I figured I had to buy one...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

This whole last-mile-electric-personal-transport thing is interesting. The factors I was considering:

• roadworthy
  • speed / acceleration
  • portability
  • range
  • fun
  • price (but pretty similar across all devices, so not really a factor)

OW: portable and fun to ride, roadworthy because of the fat tire, but speed and range were low (less fun)

Electric Skateboard: a one inch gap in a sidewalk sends you flying off the front, so not very roadworthy, but fun to ride, portable, low range

Electric scooter: dead simple to ride but low fun factor, worst portability because of size and weight, tons of speed and range, best road-worthiness

EUC: big wheel = roadworthy, super fun (once past learning curve), fast, portable, tons of range

So the EUC seemed to be the best mix. After watching a few videos I figured I had to buy one...

i dont think there is anything that can do better than an euc in any category.. for one wheel you list portable, but try taking it shopping with you in a store.. you gonna carry it around? trolley handle on an euc is by far better than any other option on anything else. i think any of these would make a fun addition to an euc but none are remotely as good an all rounder as an euc.. it can do anything any other pev can do but better, the learning curve can be the only thing that anyone could consider a down side, which i personally find to be a positive.. personally, i have no interest in riding something that takes little to no skill, what is the fun in that? euc feels like an accomplishment to learn to master, and there is always something new to learn, and skills you can improve

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

(once past learning curve),

You can ride around and have fun after a few days. Just keep in mind that it might take a few months before you feel comfortable enough to ride in traffic.

Eventually you can even pic pocket cyclists as you ride behind them.  :ph34r:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i dont think there is anything that can do better than an euc in any category.. for one wheel you list portable, but try taking it shopping with you in a store.. you gonna carry it around? trolley handle on an euc is by far better than any other option on anything else. i think any of these would make a fun addition to an euc but none are remotely as good an all rounder as an euc.. it can do anything any other pev can do but better, the learning curve can be the only thing that anyone could consider a down side, which i personally find to be a positive.. personally, i have no interest in riding something that takes little to no skill, what is the fun in that? euc feels like an accomplishment to learn to master, and there is always something new to learn, and skills you can improve

Yea the Electric Unicycle comes close to being a perfect form factor - only improvement needed are weight reduction and replacement parts being easier to get

The full sized e-Bike I would say is one of the only PEVs that has advantages on the EUC

1. Large tires can traverse more terrain

2. Certain models just look like a normal bike (so if PEVs are illegal who cares it's just a bike :innocent1:)

but in every other facet they lose big time (portability, weight, agility, etc)

5 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

Yea the Electric Unicycle comes close to being a perfect form factor - only improvement needed are weight reduction and replacement parts being easier to get

The full sized e-Bike I would say is one of the only PEVs that has advantages on the EUC

2. Certain models just look like a normal bike (so if PEVs are illegal who cares it's just a bike :innocent1:)

One big advantage the Onewheel has is a very devout/cult like following that will turn a blind eye to all the weaknesses of the OW, including the nosedive problem. These people will buy anything Onewheel related. Some very smart people have capitalized on this and have created third party products for the Onewheel. This has created a subculture and market of third party accessories and modifications for the Onewheel and their owners as they try to make their Onewheel unique. While Future Motion may seem not to notice the third party accessories, they are now starting to use those ideas and sell similar products.

Is accessorizing and modifying EUCs a big thing? It is with the Onewheel. People love tricking out their OW, taking pictures of their OW, and posting it on social media. It's far from being the perfect machine, but it does have quite the following.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

One big advantage the Onewheel has is a very devout/cult like following that will turn a blind eye to all the weaknesses of the OW, including the nosedive problem. These people will buy anything Onewheel related. Some very smart people have capitalized on this and have created third party products for the Onewheel. This has created a subculture and market of third party accessories and modifications for the Onewheel and their owners as they try to make their Onewheel unique. While Future Motion may seem not to notice the third party accessories, they are now starting to use those ideas and sell similar products.

Is accessorizing and modifying EUCs a big thing? It is with the Onewheel. People love tricking out their OW, taking pictures of their OW, and posting it on social media. It's far from being the perfect machine, but it does have quite the following.

Well any niche community that pays way too much for a product will become cult like and overprotective. My initial thoughts are that there are more EUCs users than OW (definitely depending on region this varies), but I would agree that OW owners are far more active on social platforms.

With EUCs there is a ton you can do and I think it's easier to do than a OW. The sides are clean hard surfaces, so any attachment can be made using a suction apparatus. A lot of EUCs have female screw holes downs the spine for you to attach third party or first party accessories (Ninebot being a good example.) Detachable seats are a popular accessory for larger wheels, and most are first party I think. The handle area also allow a lot of bike accessories to be retro-fitted on an EUC.

I've seen head lights, tail lights, speakers, go pros, etc attached to EUCs, but I think in general people don't do this unless they know for certain they aren't going to crash or bail since everything might get damaged.

Many things are already built in to EUCs that OW's lack - As an example you need an accessory like Flight Fins to even jump on a OW, with EUCs as you probably already know  do that by default. Same with bluetooth speakers, head lights, trolley handles...mudflaps usually come with most EUCs as well.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

ah yea i guess, never even thought of electric bicycle.. but then you can just get a monster :P yea youre right in that aspect, but they have extremely weak motors that work in tandem with effort from you, so idk about considering them in the same category as fully electric vehicles.. i would rather just pay 200 bucks for a half decent bicycle myself haha

1 minute ago, Jimmy Chang said:

True That. I think in this country OW will be more popular than EUCs. I think EUCs will always be at the bottom of the PEV pantheon. Ironically, however, I think the EUC ranks will grow with "Converts" from other PEVs as much as from first-timers.  

EUCs are the superior pevs from almost all points of view: You don't have to worry about theft, routine maintenance, portability, speed, range, how much you weigh,  or terrain within-in reason. Why then do  I constantly state that they will never be but so popular you may ask? It is not the learning curve itself. It is the primordial, absolute certainly people have, young and old, that they could not ride or don't want to ride "that thing" just standing on two pedals with nothing to hold on. ;)

58 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

As an example, I'm hosting a Onewheel group ride this weekend in Los Angeles. The group membership is over 300! The Los Angeles EUC Group membership might be about 20 :(

I think that says it all.

I'm convinced that it's not just marketing, but the fact that the Onewheel is so much easier to pickup and learn and feels more familiar then those EUC Things.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

but the fact that the Onewheel is so much easier to pickup and learn

Is the Ninebot Z10 with its enormous tire about as easy to pick up as the OW?

My observation is that EUC riders can automatically ride a OW but the OW rider does have some difficulty riding an EUC.