Electric Unicycle Wins Over a Big Onewheel Enthusiast

Jimmy Chang

You are most definitely not the only Onewheel rider here. It does seem like the natural progression would be for Onewheeler's to move into EUCs for the added range, speed, and a whole host of other reasons.

Welcome aboard :cheers: 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You are most definitely not the only Onewheel rider here. It does seem like the natural progression would be for Onewheeler's to move into EUCs for the added range, speed, and a whole host of other reasons.

Welcome aboard :cheers: 

Thanks Marty! Man, how many wheels do you own?!  I thought I had a problem after I bought my 4th Onewheel. Now I've got some catching up to do! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

Thanks Marty! Man, how many wheels do you own?!  I thought I had a problem after I bought my 4th Onewheel. Now I've got some catching up to do! 

Yeah, some people around here think I have a problem, but I don't see it ;)

BTW, I just started hooking up with the Los Angeles Onewheeler's. I'll be doing more rides with them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Chang said:

I've been a huge Onewheel fan. I travel with my Onewheel. I blog about the Onewheel. I make YouTube videos about the Onewheel. Well, I just got my first EUC and after the initial steep learning curve, I have admit that I am really impressed! This thing is AWESOME! I'm looking forward to getting more experience on my EUC but I can totally see why people love this thing. Any people here switch over from the Onewheel? Any EUC riders thinking of getting a Onewheel? The experiences are both unique in their own regard, but I love the range, power, and smoothness of the EUC ride.

Check out my vlog/experience here: 

Welcome to the world of EUCs! You're going to have more Onewheelers to EUCs than the other way around with EUCs being more versatile than OneWheel. Same goes for people riding traditional e-skateboards and moving to EUCs. OneWheels are still very fun and will have their place for recreational, but an EUC is the most efficient and best form factor for actual real world transportation.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Welcome to the world of EUCs! You're going to have more Onewheelers to EUCs than the other way around with EUCs being more versatile than OneWheel. Same goes for people riding traditional e-skateboards and moving to EUCs. OneWheels are still very fun and will have their place for recreational, but an EUC is the most efficient and best form factor for actual real world transportation.

Thanks Michael! In the OW world, EUCs get knocked because the forward facing stance is not as cool and there's a perception that EUCs are less fun. It will be interesting to see what I think as I go on this EUC journey. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

Thanks Michael! In the OW world, EUCs get knocked because the forward facing stance is not as cool and there's a perception that EUCs are less fun. It will be interesting to see what I think as I go on this EUC journey. 

I'll be interested in hearing (maybe a video) what you think after you've been riding for a while. Your perspective will be unique.

Not much to say regarding the stance, but the "not as fun" part is a head scratcher. I can go on 4-hour rides without charging, climb 5000-foot mountains, ride single-track trails  in the flatlands or in the mountains, ride on the beach and in the ocean (I do at least on beach ride through the water every year), carve up a storm, etc., etc.

I think the Onewheel is fun and I'm toying with the idea of getting the Pint. But I feel that the Onewheel is much more limited in its fun factor.

• Like 2

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I'll be interested in hearing (maybe a video) what you think after you've been riding for a while. Your perspective will be unique.

Not much to say regarding the stance, but the "not as fun" part is a head scratcher. I can go on 4-hour rides without charging, climb 5000-foot mountains, ride single-track trails  in the flatlands or in the mountains, ride on the beach and in the ocean (I do at least on beach ride through the water every year), carve up a storm, etc., etc.

I think the Onewheel is fun and I'm toying with the idea of getting the Pint. But I feel that the Onewheel is much more limited in its fun factor.

After watching your YT videos, I think you will be disappointed by the limited range and speed of the Pint given your EUC experience. I'd borrow and try an XR if I were you.

Yeah, the EUC gets a fair amount of disrespect from some in the OW community, even Future Motion. Don't know if you saw their teaser cartoon ad for the Pint where they dog on the unicycle. Not cool. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Chang said:

After watching your YT videos, I think you will be disappointed by the limited range and speed of the Pint given your EUC experience. I'd borrow and try an XR if I were you.

Yeah, the EUC gets a fair amount of disrespect from some in the OW community, even Future Motion. Don't know if you saw their teaser cartoon ad for the Pint where they dog on the unicycle. Not cool. 

I did see one Pint video by a guy that got an early look. I'll have to look for the official trailer.

The reason that I would get the Pint is that I know I'm not going to use a Onewheel for distance riding. It would be for literally fun around my town, grab a sandwich, that kind of stuff.

6 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Jimmy Chang Welcome! LOL, did Onewheel banning you push you over to our side? :lol::lol:

FYI, there are more Onewheel to EUC convert stories on the EUC reddit I believe, albeit it's a bit dead on there compared to this forum.

Houseofjob... so you know the backstory drama between Future Motion and me. Ha! Well, I've moved past that. I apologized. They gave me terms to follow before they would grant me forgiveness. I complied. They never got back to me. Now I'm back to just making videos and focusing on having fun and making videos. I'm done with the drama. But there will be more EUC videos on the way!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

Post the link here if you can - I think we'd get a friendly kick out of seeing it.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

EUCs get knocked because the forward facing stance is not as cool and there's a perception that EUCs are less fun. It will be interesting to see what I think as I go on this EUC journey. 

I'm a lifelong skateboarder and I have never been interested in the Onewheel. Self balancing on a skateboard is a pretty limited platform. It just doesn't make sense for bumps, carving transition etc.. It's also slow and has a bad range. I rode by one on my wheel once but they were going slow and looked confused so I just kept going. 

I have a couple skateboarder friends with electric skateboards, but no actual skater friends that ride Onewheels. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Chang said:

I've been a huge Onewheel fan. I travel with my Onewheel. I blog about the Onewheel. I make YouTube videos about the Onewheel. Well, I just got my first EUC and after the initial steep learning curve, I have admit that I am really impressed! This thing is AWESOME! I'm looking forward to getting more experience on my EUC but I can totally see why people love this thing. Any people here switch over from the Onewheel? Any EUC riders thinking of getting a Onewheel? The experiences are both unique in their own regard, but I love the range, power, and smoothness of the EUC ride.

Check out my vlog/experience here: 

Very fun to watch a new rider, great job!  So were the large pedals included or was that an extra?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

I'm a lifelong skateboarder and I have never been interested in the Onewheel. Self balancing on a skateboard is a pretty limited platform. It just doesn't make sense for bumps, carving transition etc.. It's also slow and has a bad range. I rode by one on my wheel once but they were going slow and looked confused so I just kept going. 

I have a couple skateboarder friends with electric skateboards, but no actual skater friends that ride Onewheels. 

I was just in Seattle last week and I saw an EUC to Onewheel ratio of 5:1. Very surprised. I have only seen a few EUCs in the wild here in Denver.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

Houseofjob... so you know the backstory drama between Future Motion and me. Ha! Well, I've moved past that. I apologized. They gave me terms to follow before they would grant me forgiveness. I complied. They never got back to me. Now I'm back to just making videos and focusing on having fun and making videos. I'm done with the drama. But there will be more EUC videos on the way!

LOL, I only know of the fact that it happened, in my searches and salivating over the Onewheel (which I will one day own once they come to their senses and up the performance spec to 25mph at least!)

Cool, I always enjoy the point of view of guys coming from other PEV, looking forward to watching!

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

:lol::lol:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

It's more snowboard IMHO, about edging.

I would reserve judgement until you actually try IMHO, my limited trial of the OW+ was actually really fun/enjoyable. Obviously the speed & range aren't there yet of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Chang said:

I was just in Seattle last week and I saw an EUC to Onewheel ratio of 5:1. Very surprised. I have only seen a few EUCs in the wild here in Denver.

Seattle is the land of Inventist/Solowheel for years now, so that makes sense (they are partnered up now with the US outfit of InMotion as well).

I've ridden a few times with OneWheelers, and tried out a OneWheel more than a few times now (one of my neighbors got one). Everything about them is fine except for their range, as they have about 7-16 miles of range. Basically you spend all your time recharging at coffee shops which isn't a bad thing.

I can see a lot of people on this forum getting one once Gotway and Kingsong come out with an 840wh version for $1100.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, fryman said:

Very fun to watch a new rider, great job!  So were the large pedals included or was that an extra?

Thanks fryman! The large pedals were included, yes. So were some wrist guards. Very pleased with the purchase.

• Like 2

I skimmed all responses so far but didn't see any reference to the following.

In your video, you state it will cruise at 22mph.  But in reality it will top out at 35kph (21.7mph)  If you get close to that speed you will get tiltback.  I would say a safe comfortable cruise for the 16S is 20mph max.

You also stated the range is 40 miles.  I'm not sure what the factory claims in km by it equates to around 27 miles  27 miles is 43.74km so maybe that is where you heard 40 (something)

Other than that, great video, you picked it up really quickly.  Love your one legged hop-alongs, hilarious, but also very skillful.

One more thing.  Get that thing charged up before you do any more riding, or you will face plant due to a voltage sag and motor shut down.  I've owned a 16S for nearly 1500km and I've never had the battery that low.;)

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2