Electric Unicycle Wins Over a Big Onewheel Enthusiast

Jimmy Chang

13 minutes ago, Jerome said:

There will always be a small hard core of OW enthusiast, it remains to be seen whether Future Motion is happy with that or wants to "cross-over" to other markets. 

99.9% they want the bigger audience. That's why they got the Pint under the magic $1K mark, and same reason they pay the $$$$$ to have the major 1M+ sub YouTubers hawk their product.

@Jimmy Chang Great video and welcome to the EUC crowd. :thumbup:

.................... My wife took a month to learn to ride as well and your last statement made her pretty mad   " That's only after an hour and a half of riding" :shock2: :angry:

I told her that you are the Chooch of one wheel to calm her down. 

• Like 1

Welcome! and I totally still think about getting a OW EX on a regular basis, but the slower speed and range sort of get in the way. btw love your videos and amazed how you put them out at such regular basis!

By the way @houseofjob how's it that you seem to know every single piece of dirt that's related to PEVs? =)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

Welcome! and I totally still think about getting a OW EX on a regular basis, but the slower speed and range sort of get in the way. btw love your videos and amazed how you put them out at such regular basis!

By the way @houseofjob how's it that you seem to know every single piece of dirt that's related to PEVs? =)

Have you not seen his signature? It's got more PLEVs than @Jason McNeil 's showroom window! :o

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I skimmed all responses so far but didn't see any reference to the following.

In your video, you state it will cruise at 22mph.  But in reality it will top out at 35kph (21.7mph)  If you get close to that speed you will get tiltback.  I would say a safe comfortable cruise for the 16S is 20mph max.

You also stated the range is 40 miles.  I'm not sure what the factory claims in km by it equates to around 27 miles  27 miles is 43.74km so maybe that is where you heard 40 (something)

Other than that, great video, you picked it up really quickly.  Love your one legged hop-alongs, hilarious, but also very skillful.

One more thing.  Get that thing charged up before you do any more riding, or you will face plant due to a voltage sag and motor shut down.  I've owned a 16S for nearly 1500km and I've never had the battery that low.;)

I was quoting the specs from the site I bought the wheel from: https://www.ewheels.com/product/kingsong-16-electric-unicycle/

How did you know my battery charge? I have so much to learn. Thanks for the tips!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

@Jimmy Chang Great video and welcome to the EUC crowd. :thumbup:

.................... My wife took a month to learn to ride as well and your last statement made her pretty mad   " That's only after an hour and a half of riding" :shock2: :angry:

I told her that you are the Chooch of one wheel to calm her down. 

Ha! Love it. I'm no Chooch at anything. That guy tears it up. Hoping to meet with him for some tips on riding and video making soon.

Tell your wife that making my wife mad at me is a skill I've worked on for almost 20 years of marriage. Oh, and I'm good at making the company that makes the Onewheel mad too (see past YT videos). I need to start a group of all the people that are or have been mad at me. ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

I was quoting the specs from the site I bought the wheel from: https://www.ewheels.com/product/kingsong-16-electric-unicycle/

How did you know my battery charge? I have so much to learn. Thanks for the tips!

Only 4 green lights when the wheel is stationary.

quoting from the site? Interesting. i'll give that one a wide berth.:huh:

Edited by Smoother

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

I was quoting the specs from the site I bought the wheel from

Just for your general EUC information: specs are lies. Plain lies:) Even more so than the Onewheel ones (I believe their rang estimates are also a bit "optimistic", but not nearly as dishonest as with the Chinese EUC manufacturers). Your 840Wh should give you 40-45km (25-28mi) range (probably more towards 45km or even more, as you seem to be on the lighter side). 1000Wh is around 50km/30mi (80kg rider at 30kph), extrapolate any battery size from that. Range heavily depends on speed and rider weight.

EUCs still run circles around the Onewheel spec-wise (@houseofjob can tell exactly how meager and small even the XR battery is) so all your points still hold, though:D

Also, a thing that surprises (certainly surprised me): EUCs are also miles ahead in terms of tech and safety (from not suddenly cutting out). OW tech is from the stone age (whenever the first Onewheel was released, that's where they are, XR included) and if EUCs were like this, people would be livid (and in the hospital a lot). The latest generation EUCs are essentially impossible to overpower unless you're being very stupid. Compare that to the common complaint of nosedives from Onewheels suddenly switching off. I sure hope they improved with the Pint, but the tiny battery size limits safety by itself, even if they improved their tech.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

How did you know my battery charge? I have so much to learn.

The lights on the side are your battery indicator when you're standing still.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Just for your general EUC information: specs are lies. Plain lies:) Even more so than the Onewheel ones (I believe their rang estimates are also a bit "optimistic", but not nearly as dishonest as with the Chinese EUC manufacturers). Your 840Wh should give you 40-45km (25-28mi) range (probably more towards 45km or even more, as you seem to be on the lighter side). 1000Wh is around 50km/30mi (80kg rider at 30kph), extrapolate any battery size from that. Range heavily depends on speed and rider weight.

EUCs still run circles around the Onewheel spec-wise (@houseofjob can tell exactly how meager and small even the XR battery is) so all your points still hold, though:D

Also, a thing that surprises (certainly surprised me): EUCs are also miles ahead in terms of tech and safety (from not suddenly cutting out). OW tech is from the stone age (whenever the first Onewheel was released, that's where they are, XR included) and if EUCs were like this, people would be livid (and in the hospital a lot). The latest generation EUCs are essentially impossible to overpower unless you're being very stupid. Compare that to the common complaint of nosedives from Onewheels suddenly switching off. I sure hope they improved with the Pint, but the tiny battery size limits safety by itself, even if they improved their tech.

The lights on the side are your battery indicator when you're standing still.

Great information. I'll have to scrap my 40 mile ride I was planning on doing tomorrow. j/k.

I'm all about safety and that is why I started my OW blog and YT channel in the first place. If the EUCs are leagues safer than the Onewheel, then that already makes me a huge fan. The Onewheel has a certain cool factor, but nosedives are not cool and you see it happening so frequently on the OW Facebook groups. I absolutely hate the fact that Future Motion advertises a top speed of 19 miles. While true, going at the top speed leaves little room for error on a Onewheel and any extra strain on the motor results in a devastating nosedive.

From what I understand, EUCs have additional backup power once you reach the top speed and warning mechanisms to tell you to slow down before you reach critical speed. The Onewheel needs that.

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

You also stated the range is 40 miles.  I'm not sure what the factory claims in km by it equates to around 27 miles  27 miles is 43.74km so maybe that is where you heard 40 (something)

My son gets 40 miles on his KS16S, average speed @ 15 mph on sunny days, he weighs in at 110 lbs. I get 32 miles on my KS18L, weighing in at 195 lbs. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dave U said:

My son gets 40 miles on his KS16S, average speed @ 15 mph on sunny days, he weighs in at 110 lbs. I get 32 miles on my KS18L, weighing in at 195 lbs. 

That's about what I would have predicted. Bump up the speed and get a little fatter and the 16S is a solid 30-mile wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

99.9% they want the bigger audience. That's why they got the Pint under the magic $1K mark, and same reason they pay the $$$$$ to have the major 1M+ sub YouTubers hawk their product.

I am in total agreement, BUT, does their vision think it can be done by just introducing  as many people as possible to the wonderfulness of the OW, OR, do they realize that a $1800 DIY looking PEV with real-world ~16-17 mph speed and 12-18 miles "maximum range" will not lead to a realization of their vision.  Will their be a XR+? I actually believe Gotway is watching the OW growth. That's why they were/are playing around with a sideways riding EUC.  Heck Houseofjob, that string of pictures of  your current and past pev's needs to start a second.row. I see a PINT in your future and then a Gallon.:w00t2:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jerome said:

I am in total agreement, BUT, does their vision think it can be done by just introducing  as many people as possible to the wonderfulness of the OW, OR, do they realize that a $1800 DIY looking PEV with real-world ~16-17 mph speed and 12-18 miles "maximum range" will not lead to a realization of their vision.

Future Motion is very marketing savvy IMHO, up there with Boosted I'd say, using the Apple model to sell premium priced products, albeit the OW not sporting the slick contourings of the others, but we're seeing them mature now with the Pint's streamlined stylings, which will no doubt spread across the line.

But, think back to your newbie days (we've all been there): newbies have no idea what is fast or slow, and anything in double digits seems impressive, considering that is typically reserved for car speeds (I know I was in this boat when deciding which PEV to adopt).

This, combined with the fact that casual interest, experience-less buyers don't realize the real world practical applications of these toy-ish looking gyroscopic devices, and will thus lump them into the toy category and not want to pay much over more than a few hundred dollars USD.

While we hobbyists aim for the highest performance models, the newbies will aim for the most affordable ones (again, having no frame of reference), so introducing a 'gateway OW' like the Pint is key for FM IMHO, albeit, if they can get that price down to more like $600, you'll get more impulse buyers.

I think Future Motion will be able to reach a price like that in the future, as smart companies will recycle their old spec into cheaper models (OW+ -> Pint), seeing as the longer a production run, with economy of scale, will lower overall production costs to produced said re-packaged cheapo model (ala Ninebot recycling the 16" One into the 14" A1/S1/S2, etc.)

4 minutes ago, Jerome said:

I actually believe Gotway is watching the OW growth. That's why they were/are playing around with a sideways riding EUC. 

Of course they are!

But, if you know Asian culture, they are relatively new to boarding culture, having only really seen youth board adoption (skate/snow/surf/etc.) happen only this past decade, so the Gotway engineers obviously have no clue with their forays into boarding PEV. 

Recently, they've Still been toying with the Moonwalk in a v2 version *smh. Ask any eboarder: they all hate remote-less eboarding, due to the foot sensors requiring you to adopt an arbitrarily fixed stance, unable to adjust to your own comfort, not to mention the weird, unnatural board-leaning this setup requires you to do.

3 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Heck Houseofjob, that string of pictures of  your current and past pev's needs to start a second.row. I see a PINT in your future and then a Gallon.:w00t2:

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Future Motion is very marketing savvy IMHO, up there with Boosted I'd say, using the Apple model to sell premium priced products, albeit the OW not sporting the slick contourings of the others, but we're seeing them mature now with the Pint's streamlined stylings, which will no doubt spread across the line.

I have to agree on the marketing savvy

13 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

But, think back to your newbie days (we've all been there): newbies have no idea what is fast or slow, and anything in double digits seems impressive, considering that is typically reserved for car speeds (I know I was in this boat when deciding which PEV to adopt).

True this. Anything that could cruise at 15 mph "seemed" like more than enough.

16 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

This, combined with the fact that casual interest, experience-less buyers don't realize the real world practical applications of these toy-ish looking gyroscopic devices, and will thus lump them into the toy category and not want to pay much over more than a few hundred dollars USD.

While we hobbyists aim for the highest performance models, the newbies will aim for the most affordable ones (again, having no frame of reference), so introducing a 'gateway OW' like the Pint is key for FM IMHO, albeit, if they can get that price down to more like $600, you'll get more impulse buyers.

I think Future Motion will be able to reach a price like that in the future, as smart companies will recycle their old spec into cheaper models (OW+ -> Pint), seeing as the longer a production run, with economy of scale, will lower overall production costs to produced said re-packaged cheapo model (ala Ninebot recycling the 16" One into the 14" A1/S1/S2, etc.)

Hmmm, perhaps. We shall see. My question to you is do you see FM trying to appease their "enthusiast" core with an "Super XR" model that has at least KS16S specs, or will they try and get by with fixing some of the quirks , safety features, and appearance, but, stay in the under 20 mph range?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jimmy Chang said:

So can someone tell me if the range specs are grossly overstated for the KS16S?

You will get 40 miles of riding if you weigh < 110 lbs (including back pack), Its a sunny day lets say 78°F, you keep the speed below 15 mph. This mile range is from 100 percent charge down to 5 percent with a tilt back. We have been averaging 40 miles on river bike paths/trails to the beach and back to our start point. You should pick up a fast charger from EWheels, just in case you run out of range.

Edited by Dave U

1 minute ago, Jerome said:

My question to you is do you see FM trying to appease their "enthusiast" core with an "Super XR" model that has at least KS16S specs, or will they try and get by with fixing some of the quirks , safety features, and appearance, but, stay in the under 20 mph range?

Dear Lord, let's hope so.

Have to say that Plus to XR upgrade was a bit underwhelming, seemed like they were trying to just undercut and shutout the OW battery mod aftermarket.

If I ever get to Shenzhen, I'd love to visit Gotway HQ and plant the seed that they need to convert the MTen3 motor into a wider, suped up OW competitor.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Chang said:

1810919252_ScreenShot2019-03-28at9_47_16PM.thumb.png.15cf9d3ac6ad54817cfc977290dd84fa.png

Most pev range ratings are for a 150 lb rider on flat terrain at ~ 15 mph. So no, KS is not greatly exaggerating the range for the KS16S. They are just following suit with almost all other PEV makers. A 205 lb riding friend has a KS16S and he gets 30 miles range in mixed terrain-speed riding. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Dear Lord, let's hope so.

Have to say that Plus to XR upgrade was a bit underwhelming, seemed like they were trying to just undercut and shutout the OW battery mod aftermarket.

If I ever get to Shenzhen, I'd love to visit Gotway HQ and plant the seed that they need to convert the MTen3 motor into a wider, suped up OW competitor.

:cheers:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Chang said:

You're referring to this right? Only on a more refined and mass produced scale...

Er, that's just a board on an MTen3.

I mean the real thing: widen the rim to 4-6", adopt the OW foot pad sensors, etc., just that the MTen3 infrastructure is the perfect candidate, as the tire diameter is a similar size to the OW (10"), but the performance eclipses the OW in every way  (25mph max with almost double the motor power and range).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Chang said:

1810919252_ScreenShot2019-03-28at9_47_16PM.thumb.png.15cf9d3ac6ad54817cfc977290dd84fa.png

One of the first rides I did on the KS16S and I overestimated the range, was listening to the power alert for 4 miles, ended up about walking speed by the time I reached my car.  Not good, I know.   I’ve now got range down after 2000km on the wheel.  At 200lbs with backpack and gear avg 15 mph, I can get 22 miles before I hit 40% battery limiting speed.  I can get another 10-12 miles but the last several would be ridiculously slow. 

• Like 1