Jump to content

My Wife Wants To Learn!


Marty Backe

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Think about it though, if she has access to his wheels, his video gear, computer and is better looking than Marty... We might not need him anymore... ?

:roflmao:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Think about it though, if she picks it up faster than he did, has access to his wheels, his video gear, computer editing software, YouTube login details, and is better looking than Marty... We might not need him anymore... ?

In hindsight, maybe it is a good idea that KingSong and Ninebot allow you to lock your wheels. Unfortunately most of my wheels are Gotway so they'll be no way to keep her off my wheels :unsure:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe start her on something simpler like a Hoverboard or Segway Mini so she gets used to how they self-balance. Then a kick-scooter and finally an EUC. If she doesn't feel confident on the EUC at least then she can get out on one of the other devices. Then she can do You-Tube reviews on the other transports to complement yours.

Edited by Nic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to hear that your wife will spend more time with you.

However, can you teach her using the hand-holding moving wall method, and see how long it takes her? My bet is 2-5 minutes, possibly much shorter.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nic said:

Maybe start her on something simpler like a Hoverboard or Segway Mini so she gets used to how they self-balance. Then a kick-scooter and finally an EUC. If she doesn't feel confident on the EUC at least then she can get out on one of the other devices. Then she can do You-Tube reviews on the other transports to complement yours.

Good idea if I had any of those devices. For now I'm going to stick with the EUC, but if that doesn't work out, the Minipro might be a good route.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LanghamP said:

I'm sorry to hear that your wife will spend more time with you.

However, can you teach her using the hand-holding moving wall method, and see how long it takes her? My bet is 2-5 minutes, possibly much shorter.

 

You're such a cheerful fellow ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

However, can you teach her using the hand-holding moving wall method, and see how long it takes her? My bet is 2-5 minutes, possibly much shorter.

Marty, this is the decisive tip here!

Get her a wheel that gives her good leg leverage. Forget the generic, use the msuper. As soon as she can stand on it while holding on to you or a wall (which shouldn't take long), just have her hold on to you while you ride along with her (not too slow - speed!).

There's no better and faster way to learn, because it omits the hard part of stepping on before riding and goes right to the riding part.

You two have a good time!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, electricpen said:

The trouble with a minipro is if she is more interested in going on little fun trips with you than she is in learning to ride an EUC she may not actually progress to EUCs if you give her a minipro to ride.

The two wheeled balancers help a lot because you can get the self-balancing characteristics understood before having to learn the steering part.

However, I will say I've personally known a few people who had gruesome hooverboard injuries (broken wrists, ribs, collarbone, ankle).

I suspect hooverboard injuries are worse than EUC injuries because they turn sideways fling you down. 100% of the riders of the below video either don't bail or merely just put one foot down way too late. Experienced EUC riders have that bent kneestense and bail like cockroaches.

 

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's great that your wife wants to learn, Marty!

33 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Get her a wheel that gives her good leg leverage. Forget the generic, use the msuper. As soon as she can stand on it while holding on to you or a wall (which shouldn't take long), just have her hold on to you while you ride along with her (not too slow - speed!).

There's no better and faster way to learn, because it omits the hard part of stepping on before riding and goes right to the riding part.

I actually agree with both parts of this! When I was teaching my girlfriend to ride, we were using the Ninebot One E+ and it was so low down on her shins that while she was figuring out her balance, it pressed into her shins hard enough that she almost quit from the discomfort! I managed to convince her to tough it out, but if she had learned on something with a higher contact point and better cushions (like the MSv3S+) it would have been a much more pleasant transition... Not to mention the MSuper is going to be a LOT more stable once she gets past like... 3 mph. And once she gets used to riding and wants to try a different one of your wheels she'll already be used to Gotway's wider stance! And besides, with you having your MSX, it might be nice (and give you one more connection) for her to be riding a similar-ish wheel...

As to holding her hand for the learning, that is DEFINITELY the best way to teach her, as my girlfriend has already attested when I let her have the (hilarious) honor of trying to teach my sister how to ride. :roflmao:

Edited by Arbolest
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Wife learned to ride on the Kingsong KS14s on soccer field and since she was on grass, it gave her more confidence to really go for it and that proved to be the key to her success.

Learning to ride on the 14 inch wheel also gave her the skill to ride most other wheels with ease and now she rides the Mten3, Z10, and the KS18L.

Edited by ChandlerAZ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Glitched said:

Holy crap I couldn't get through that whole fail compilation. That 4 year old took the weight of a 200lb man. Jeezuz.  

Kidz are flexible, they bounce right back!

hoverfail.jpg.125b807b6c570e01af084707b8f0c1d7.jpg

These kidz in trouble...

Not only faceplant, but did a backflip into a nosedive!

Edited by RayRay
...and he still got right back up.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Marty, this is the decisive tip here!

Get her a wheel that gives her good leg leverage. Forget the generic, use the msuper. As soon as she can stand on it while holding on to you or a wall (which shouldn't take long), just have her hold on to you while you ride along with her (not too slow - speed!).

There's no better and faster way to learn, because it omits the hard part of stepping on before riding and goes right to the riding part.

You two have a good time!

I think you may be right regarding the wheel. I'll used my MSuper V3s+

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...