400km and still waiting on first crash

Ipsiain

As the title suggests, ( not including my very first day of learning to ride. ) I have never came off an euc. The only bother I’ve had is dismounting and not being able to keep the wheel under control with one foot on the ground and the other on the pedal. But hopefully ive mastered that now.

My question is, how frequently do people have accidents, when was your first, how many km’s since your last? 

Side note. Im yet to buy myself saftey gear, and the fastest ive ridden is 36kph. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only come off three times- twice on grass.... 
The first, the grass was hiding a pot hole - the wheel bounced off of it. 
The second, the grass was water logged - the wheel just sank

The third was low speed - I was trying to ride backwards and lost balance

On the plus side, the grass provides a nice soft landing! 

My lasts falling were simulated when I training judo fall breaking. But I often lose control, getting painful hits by the wheel when it bounced out of control in jumps.

Side note, I yet to use one of my helmets for EUC riding. I doing downhill and jumps at 25km/h

49 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

Side note. Im yet to buy myself saftey gear, and the fastest ive ridden is 36kph. 

My only response to your post has to be: Go out and get your safety gear sorted straight away. Please DO NOT wait until a crash to realise that you should have been suited up. Good wrist guards & a helmet are a must. Elbow, knee pads & gloves can also help to keep skin from being left behind somewhere on a Scottish road!

Fbhb, I appreciate your concern, as i share the same one. Altho My thoughts are the saftey gear will give a psychological over confidence boost and lead to my first crash. 

Haha, grass is where i learned too. More out of fear of scraping up my wheel though. Id recomend learning on grass the slipperyness and uneven ground sets you up good for the easier smooth surfaces 

12 minutes ago, fbhb said:

My only response to your post has to be: Go out and get your safety gear sorted straight away. Please DO NOT wait until a crash to realise that you should have been suited up. Good wrist guards & a helmet are a must. Elbow, knee pads & gloves can also help to keep skin from being left behind somewhere on a Scottish road!

At 36 kph you'll need a full face helmet too. Cutouts are violent.

8 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

At 36 kph you'll need a full face helmet too. Cutouts are violent.

I couldn't agree more about full face helmets. I have only ever used a Ruroc helmet offering full face protection (as per my Avatar), but have just upgraded even that to a TSG Pass, which I am finding is perfect for EUC use.

I have limited experience with helmets. Are these full face helmets designed for motocross? Skiing? Basically what kind of shop would i find them in? I have a big head and trying before I buy would be nice. Id like to push past 36kph but the wobbles get me 

6 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

I have limited experience with helmets. Are these full face helmets designed for motocross? Skiing? Basically what kind of shop would i find them in? I have a big head and trying before I buy would be nice. Id like to push past 36kph but the wobbles get me 

Ruroc helmets are actually based in the UK and also have a great returns policy if the size proves to be incorrect. There is even a video on the website showing how to correctly measure for your size. I have bought two RG1-DX helmets, plus accessories online from them and have had fantastic customer service. Even better news is that they have an End of Season Sale on, due to finish in 2 weeks, so if you are keen on this style of helmet you can grab yourself a bargain by following this link: https://www.ruroc.com/en/

7 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

I have limited experience with helmets. Are these full face helmets designed for motocross? Skiing? Basically what kind of shop would i find them in? I have a big head and trying before I buy would be nice.

There are nice light downhill mountainbike full face helmets  - discussed somewhere in the safety gear section. But one has to be be careful for the ratings/certifications!

7 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

Id like to push past 36kph but the wobbles get me 

Could be your way of standing on the wheel/some insecurities or imbalance from your side that makes the wheel wobble. Like for me the wheel starts some slight wobble if i break downhill or "kneel down" (not that i could really kneel down on the wheel - just bending the legs a bit more ?)

Or it could be an unbalance in the tire/wheel. There were also some topics with "how to balance the tire" around here.

20 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Could be your way of standing on the wheel/some insecurities or imbalance from your side that makes the wheel wobble. 

I thought it was my second speed alarm that might be making me nervous, so i turned it off but still no difference. I think foot position on the pedals might play a role

13 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

I think foot position on the pedals might play a role 

I have wobbles at hi speed when I ride tired due a long ride, riding over lot of bumps or riding kneeling and crouched. It seems to be related to the rider strength and how fit can he hold the euc with his feets, placing it correctly make it easy. Also I been noticed how easy are for new users to get wobbles, that point to the rider ability/strength for find the wobbling cause

Another New story that reminds us all of the injuries that can occur riding EUC's and that too much speed and too little protection don't work well together!

Haha, yeah i read that and it was what made me create this one. Id personaly not ignore the warning beep. I mean its there for a reason, to ignore is just asking for trouble. Im just curious how many riders here are yet to experience their first fall. 

Crashes don't have to be frequent.

I've had a fall on my hands when my cables melted going slowly uphill (maybe after 250km), and did a superman when I hit a very unexpected big rock in the middle of a wide smooth bike path (maybe after 2500km). Both very unlikely to occur again freak accidents. A lot of crashes seem to be such things, after all not many reasons to fall on a EUC in normal riding.

I had no other crashes (with falling), just some runoffs from the tire slipping on leaves or mud or some obstacle. 3500km on my ACM.

Get wrist guards, knee guards and a (ideally full face) helmet anyways. I bought the first two after my two crashes respectively and hope I'll get my helmet before I have a crash that convinces me to wear it:efee47c9c8:

I'm at 800 miles and have yet to fall (desperately searches for wood to touch/knock on) but to be frank I'm a boring rider. I go to and from work on roads I know like the back of my hand, stay under 30kph (wheel limit but I wouldn't go faster if I could), and have little interest hoping curbs etc. Besides being boring I am also being lucky. I, and you, will fall eventually. These are unicycles and shit happens. No one escapes it regardless of skill or misplaced self confidence. 

I wear full body gear but it has not made me feel invincible or risky. I just like to know i stand a chance of walking away from a fall with intact bones, most my skin, and a jaw that doesn't require wiring. It is highly recommended. 

13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I've had a fall on my hands when my cables melted going slowly uphill (maybe after 250km),

Please tell me more about this. Was this on your acm? What model was it? If i’m going uphill for any period of time i’ll have a peek at the temperature read out in the app hoping to avoid such a thing as melting cables

Your a sensible guy warped. Im much like yourself in the way I don’t try anything risky. Although I dropped a curb once just to see what it was like. I’m guessing riding style is the most likely cause other than mechanical/electrical issues ( which may be inturn caused by riding style ) to cause crashes

I am not sure I understand. 

Crashing is falling or hurting oneself or total loss of control or all of those?

I don't mind falling at all. I do mind (a lot) hurting myself.

4 hours ago, Ipsiain said:

Haha, yeah i read that and it was what made me create this one. Id personaly not ignore the warning beep. I mean its there for a reason, to ignore is just asking for trouble. Im just curious how many riders here are yet to experience their first fall. 

Had my only falls at 65 - 80 miles. 

The only one to make me bleed was because I had started doing YouTube vids, and was paying more attention to shooting video than mounting my wheel. I now have 600 miles between my Ninebot S1 and my KingSong Ks18s. However.. one must remember we are riding a single wheel controlled by electronics that will fail one day and throw you onto the street. All it takes is a dirty power switch. Wear some gear. Remember we dress for the slide, not the ride. 

@Ipsiain While I fully support your right to ride around with no gear, I do not recommend it.  Whenever I go riding, I always wear wrist guards and elbow pads at a minimum.  I learned those lessons the hard way, having scraped all the skin off my hands when I fell around 15 miles an hour from a bump I didn't see while turning a sharp corner.  The impact also landed directly on my elbow and while all the skin is in tact, the direct shock from pavement impact traveling from my elbow to my shoulder took about a month to heal properly and get full rotation of my should back to normal.

I'll also typically wear knee pads and a helmet as well if I plan on doing any riding above 15 mph.  It's not a matter of "if" you fall, it is simply a matter of when.  You will fall.  I've got over a thousand miles between my Tesla and MSuper V3T and am 100% confident in my abilities, but there are a ton of things outside your control while riding.  Cars that don't see you, forcing you to adjust at the last minute, road conditions with unexpected bumps or pot holes, mechanical failures of the wheel itself (motor cut-outs when hitting a bump at the wrong angle), etc.  Too many things outside your control that can go wrong.  Personally, I'd rather wear the gear and not need it, then not wear it and wish I had.  Anyway, I just want you to be safe and enjoy your wheel.  Do what you will.  Just be safe.  Good luck buddy!

6 hours ago, Ipsiain said:

Id like to push past 36kph but the wobbles get me 

Most of us started like this, feeling like we want to go faster and faster--until we have a cutout, or don't pay enough attention and hit a bump.

If you had an older slow wheel like a Ninebot One I would just say this is a lesson you need to learn the hard way, by crashing. Since your EUC can go at least 36kph and faster, you may end up in the hospital to learn this lesson which would be unfortunate. 

Perhaps I shouldn’t have mentioned about not having safety gear. It looks like i’ve touched a nerve with some people.  I thought it was relevant. No gear makes me super cautious and aware of my surroundings . Of course there will always be factors out with my control.  

Seriously though I appreciate your warnings and others personal experiences! I want saftey gear Im totally all for it, i just haven’t got round to it, my spare cash has depleted since purchase of the wheel and a recent holiday. I like the dual purpose of the full face helmet. To conceal my identity, that way insults and abuse will feel less personal. And i’ll be able to walk around my neighborhood without everyone knowing im the “gypo” on the “Segway”

oh and by crash, i mean unintentionally dismounting your wheel, you go tumbling and your wheel goes flying past you and all the embarrassment and shame that comes with it if someone sees you.

8 hours ago, Ipsiain said:

As the title suggests, ( not including my very first day of learning to ride. ) I have never came off an euc. The only bother I’ve had is dismounting and not being able to keep the wheel under control with one foot on the ground and the other on the pedal. But hopefully ive mastered that now.

My question is, how frequently do people have accidents, when was your first, how many km’s since your last? 

Crash will happen. The question is not if but when. When? When you become super confident, as shown in your post.

Everyone is just hating on Ipsiaain because they're jealous of what a great EUC rider he is. Don't let these doubting Thomases rain on your parade, Ipsiaain, you're the only Ipsiaain there is and there is no one like you. I like to think we all have a little Ipsiaain in us. 

Archived