400km and still waiting on first crash

Ipsiain

good job not crashing! ;) 

i dint crash before reaching about 700km. and the crash wasnt anything with skill. it was an invisible 30cm bump than definetly made me flying

but dont "wait" for your first crash. some have been lucky not crashing for 3000km. dont wait for your first crash. just enjoy :) 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/16/2018 at 4:37 PM, Ipsiain said:

Perhaps I shouldn’t have mentioned about not having safety gear. It looks like i’ve touched a nerve with some people.  I thought it was relevant. No gear makes me super cautious and aware of my surroundings . Of course there will always be factors out with my control.  

the reason youre touching peoples nerves is that the pain from a faceplant even at just 25kph can be excruciating. i was once riding with my freind. his ks14s cut off at 25 kph. he had a bike helmet but no safety gear. he had deep wounds and was actually in shock. and he couldnt function normally for 3 weeks. he hit his knees. elbows and wrists very bad. i think he can tell you for sure. that having safety gear on is more important than avoiding a little "over confidence" you just pushed some peoples buttons a little in the wrong way. but lets not beat anyone up for anything. just get some safety gear or ride at speeds below 25kph. unless you want to take risks :) 

37 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

the reason youre touching peoples nerves is that the pain from a faceplant even at just 25kph can be excruciating.  

I apologise to those on here that I have offended with my insensitive comments on saftey gear. I did not mean to provoke traumatic memories from your falls and any subsequent injuries gained. Some of the stories shared are quite terrifying.

( light bulb moment ) I totally get it, everyone makes mistakes and we should learn from each other’s instead of reapeating the same ones over and over. When you see people making the same mistakes despite the warnings its warranted to trigger a little something inside of you

So are knee pads, elbow pads, gloves and a full face helmet going to cover the basic road rash contact points?

Sounds to me that the knee pads and the gloves are the most important. Thinking of getting me a pair of motorcycling gloves and some kind of easy to snap on (but hopefully somewhat secure) knee pads.

I have a terrible immune so I always wear (even in warm weather) quite thick jackets. I'm not that worried about my elbows.

/a

22 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

So are knee pads, elbow pads, gloves and a full face helmet going to cover the basic road rash contact points?

Sounds to me that the knee pads and the gloves are the most important. Thinking of getting me a pair of motorcycling gloves and some kind of easy to snap on (but hopefully somewhat secure) knee pads.

I have a terrible immune so I always wear (even in warm weather) quite thick jackets. I'm not that worried about my elbows.

/a

The motorcycling gloves are not good enough in my opinion, have many myself.  You need wrist guard the one Marty recommends.  

On 5/16/2018 at 11:04 AM, kasenutty said:

Everyone is just hating on Ipsiaain because they're jealous of what a great EUC rider he is. Don't let these doubting Thomases rain on your parade, Ipsiaain, you're the only Ipsiaain there is and there is no one like you. I like to think we all have a little Ipsiaain in us. 

If I could vote for post-of-the-year, this would be it.  It's nice to see someone else play the bad cop and call a poster out on their non-sense (and risk getting downvoted!).  From my perspective, there's way too much tolerance here for the kind of delusional thinking that the OP exhibits.  I got downvoted by the total d-bag who crashed going 50km/h+ with no safety gear for suggesting that maybe it wasn't his super-skilled rolling technique that saved him from getting badly injured. 

It's amazing how many people like to humble-brag about avoiding injury due to their own dumb luck and then justify it with a great big pile of ego rationalization post-hoc.  They'll swear up-and-down that's not what they're doing, too.  There's literally nothing I find more annoying.   What's worse is that forum members let it slide to avoid being confrontational.  

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

/a

I do believe that wrist guards and knee pads are most important, followed by the helmet. Every time I've crashed, my knees have hit the ground.

You guys are making me feel very inept, with your hundreds of miles without mishap at crazy speeds. Am I the only person to have sustained a major injury doing less than 2 miles per hour? I fell off my wheel in a school parking lot just as I was starting a ride, falling off to the right on my side onto the concrete. My left leg got caught on the top of the wheel while the rest of my body was crashing to the ground, and I heard an audible “pop” as I went down. When I dazedly got up off the ground, I discovered that my left knee was no longer functioning properly, and wanted to collapse inward with each step I tried to take. I had to use the trolley handle on my wheel as a makeshift crutch to get home.

My sports orthopedic doctor tells me I have a grade 2+ sprain of the MCL, which is just shy of a total rupture of one of the major ligaments in the knee. I have been in a leg brace locked at 30 degrees and on crutches for the last 5 weeks, and have at least 4 more weeks of this misery to go before I lose the brace, and longer before they say I will feel fully recovered. I have to go in for physical therapy twice a week, and have a litany of exercises to do every day to keep the knee somewhat limber and strong as the MCL slowly heals.

When this happened, I was wearing hiking boots, my motorcycle pants with knee guards, my motorcycle jacket with elbow guards and a back guard, and my bicycle helmet.

I guess you can come away from this story of woe with three points:

1) You can get hurt going slow as well as going fast,

2) you can get hurt even when wearing maximum protection, and

3) the protection does help...I could have broken an elbow, shoulder, or hip, and could have had a concussion to boot. 

15200 km on an acm: 1 crash at slow speed, doing a tight 180 on cobblestones. 4500 km on a monster: crash free

You're far from the only person to get injured at low speeds.  My worst injury yet is probably a sprained shoulder that I sustained going slow.  No one can afford to get injured, but my "keystone habit" is exercise (it's the foundation of my day), and if I can't workout due to injury, I become an ineffective person.  It's one more reason I try to be careful.  

Just now, Dancer said:

15200 km on an acm: 1 crash at slow speed, doing a tight 180 on cobblestones. 4500 km on a monster: crash free

Did you have to replace your battery in your ACM?  I've been worried that constantly re-charging my V8 is going to diminish the mileage I can get out of it.  

4 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Did you have to replace your battery in your ACM?  I've been worried that constantly re-charging my V8 is going to diminish the mileage I can get out of it.  

There was no noticeable degradation in battery performance

If you are a heavy person or not a "kid" anymore you are in the risk zone of injuries being more serious.

If you have an impatient personality looking for thrills you are in the risk zone.

Better take it ridiculously slow. Practice long and hard before going to the next level.

Some of us here have 10-20 years of motorcycling/cycling experience to rely on. Rule number one there is always plan ahead and stay alert at all times. If you get in a tight spot you already did a mistake. The right way to ride is to never allow yourself to get into a tight spot. Defensive riding.

This doesn't mean going 10km/h at all times (thats ridiculous), but it does mean slow down nearly to a stop when something _could_ cross your path. Even if you've ridden that road a thousand times before. My funny little game I play is "try to spot the new pothole that wasn't there yesterday".

On 5/16/2018 at 8:04 AM, kasenutty said:

Everyone is just hating on Ipsiaain because they're jealous of what a great EUC rider he is. Don't let these doubting Thomases rain on your parade, Ipsiaain, you're the only Ipsiaain there is and there is no one like you. I like to think we all have a little Ipsiaain in us. 

In solidarity of my fellow accident-almost-free riders, I will now officially rename my penis Ipsiain.  "Maximus" was so cliche anyways. :rolleyes: I will also vow to spell the name correctly!  If any hot electric unicycle women want a little Ipsiain in them, feel free to hit me up.  :efefd0f676:

Although I gear up for almost every ride, I've only had one injury inducing fall at a very slow speed thankfully after about 1200 km on my generic, Ninebot, and Gotway combined.  I consider myself lucky, and I respect other people who chose not to use gear if they so choose.  It's a personal choice like playing hockey without a helmet or not wearing a seatbelt while driving.  Whether it's wise, smart, or a good idea is certainly a whole other thing. 

5 hours ago, mezzanine said:

If I could vote for post-of-the-year, this would be it.  It's nice to see someone else play the bad cop and call a poster out on their non-sense (and risk getting downvoted!).  From my perspective, there's way too much tolerance here for the kind of delusional thinking that the OP exhibits.  I got downvoted by the total d-bag who crashed going 50km/h+ with no safety gear for suggesting that maybe it wasn't his super-skilled rolling technique that saved him from getting badly injured. 

It's amazing how many people like to humble-brag about avoiding injury due to their own dumb luck and then justify it with a great big pile of ego rationalization post-hoc.  They'll swear up-and-down that's not what they're doing, too.  There's literally nothing I find more annoying.   What's worse is that forum members let it slide to avoid being confrontational.  

Wow, and I thought casenutty was defending me. Really shows you how people can interperate the same piece of text differently depending on what they are wanting to hear. 

“ Delusional thinking that the op exhibits “ 

I’m not surprised you have been downvoted, perhaps its your choice words like this that cause offence instead of the point you are trying to make. Now casenutty has a kind of a cheeky charm, he’s in then he’s out, no harm done. 

I wouldn’t worry about being downvoted, its just a measure of control so we are nice to other / stop people trolling. In the end we all put our phones down and re-enter into the real world where we can enjoy our wheels, lets face it. That’s why we are here in the first place.

“Humble brag” i’m not sure if you are reffering to me or the 50kph guy. If me then i swear thats not what im doing ?. People Curious about euc’s may come across posts like these when considering buying a wheel. I know I did. I was slightly hesitant due to reading about all the risks of falling and unexpected cut outs. And now I have a gotway

1 hour ago, Ipsiain said:

... Now casenutty has a kind of a cheeky charm, he’s in then he’s out, no harm done.... 

Hmmm I shall hereby rename my penis "Kasenutty Ipsiain the Third!" I like the in and out cheeky burger kinda connotation along with the protection-free sex imagery without injury.  :w00t2: It just works on so many different levels! 

Wasn't he defending you?  Oh well, who knows who cares.  It's not like we're donating kidneys to one another or jousting for our maiden's honor.  Just do what I do - read only the first and last sentences of posts, totally ignore it, and then just make up random stuff in your mind.  It's more fun that way.  :whistling:

On 5/16/2018 at 10:37 AM, Ipsiain said:

Perhaps I shouldn’t have mentioned about not having safety gear. It looks like i’ve touched a nerve with some people.  I thought it was relevant. No gear makes me super cautious and aware of my surroundings . Of course there will always be factors out with my control.  

Seriously though I appreciate your warnings and others personal experiences! I want saftey gear Im totally all for it, i just haven’t got round to it, my spare cash has depleted since purchase of the wheel and a recent holiday. I like the dual purpose of the full face helmet. To conceal my identity, that way insults and abuse will feel less personal. And i’ll be able to walk around my neighborhood without everyone knowing im the “gypo” on the “Segway”

oh and by crash, i mean unintentionally dismounting your wheel, you go tumbling and your wheel goes flying past you and all the embarrassment and shame that comes with it if someone sees you.

This is the post I was referring to.  You're not the only one who believes in the theory that not wearing protective gear makes one safer because of being more vulnerable and therefore more aware.  I don't care what you choose to do for protection.  I just don't want a newb to read your comment and think this is what most experienced posters here feel is the best way to stay injury free.  

I could care less about offending people.  Our respective opinions on the best way to stay safe aren't equally valid.  People feel attacked if you suggest they're wrong about something; it's human nature.   I was commenting on the culture of the forum where I perceive others will avoid confronting people about bad practices out of a desire to avoid offending someone.  

Im not advocating the theory about riding with no gear makes you more cautious. I was just brainstorming some ideas to why I personally haven’t had a fall yet. I was curious as a newish rider if my experience of x amount of miles with zero falls was ‘normal.’ Perhaps i’m a timid rider that is too scared to push my wheel harder and enjoy it as it was intended. Who knows.

For any newbs out their reading; please protect yourself!!

Now just to clarify, you thought that casenutty was playing bad cop calling me out for my comments? Where as myself and atleast hunka hunka thought he was playing good cop and defending me? Now that is very interesting! He’s a wizard 

I think the pain fear keep me out of doing really stupid things. When I wear full armour (Motocross time) I fearles, time to get really serious injuries or euc damage.

Most dangerous injuries comes from twisted extremities, any padding prevents it. Others common injuries comes from abrasions, the small pads on knees and wirsts prevent the damage under it, but a lot less than a full gloves and long pants (gore-tex and similar)

I resigned to wear helmet, but my favourite safety gear is hard shoes, long pants, sleeves, gloves and glases.

We love the ground, he allows ride over him and catch us when we fall

currently 3200km on my msuper v3s+ and no falls. Works like it should. not even a loose screw. I think it is like walking on terms of danger. Not including a failure of the wheel, but user error. its 2nd nature and riding is just as or more natural feeling than walking or running. falling off isnt easy when your brain can do it with 0 attention required

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

In solidarity of my fellow accident-almost-free riders, I will now officially rename my penis Ipsiain.  "Maximus" was so cliche anyways.

You rang?

So it happened. first crash today at 530km into this sport. Completely my fault. Slow speed glance off a wall. Tights S bend on an incline, totally misjudged and clipped the wall at the side, went flying. Was with the girlfriend, she was riding infront of me on her bike. She got a fright from the sound, the wheel is good, im good. Time for food!! 

2 hours ago, Ipsiain said:

So it happened. first crash today at 530km into this sport. Completely my fault. Slow speed glance off a wall. Tights S bend on an incline, totally misjudged and clipped the wall at the side, went flying. Was with the girlfriend, she was riding infront of me on her bike. She got a fright from the sound, the wheel is good, im good. Time for food!! 

well. scary. at what speed? at low speed i would call it more of a fall off. a "crash" you have yet to experience. the feeling of falling off and "crashing" to the ground

but falling off can still be as bad if unlucky

Archived