Would it Influence Your Decision to Buy a Gotway Wheel, if the Max Speed in the Firmware Were Limited to 30MPH/48KPH?

Would it Influence Your Decision to Buy a Gotway Wheel, if the Max Speed in the Firmware Were Limited to 30MPH/48KPH?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Would it Influence Your Decision to Buy a Gotway Wheel, if the Max Speed in the Firmware Were Limited to 30MPH/48KPH

• No, 30MPH is fast enough for me, I'd prefer a gentle tilt-back warning to the Wheel cutting out at 34MPH.
    • Yes, I live dangerous & frequently ride in the red zone of 30-34MPH. If my Gotway is limited to 30MPH, I'll buy a RockWheel then!

28 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

It does not matter so much as what Jason said though, it only matters what Gotway can deliver.  If they have not delivered it yet, there is no reason to believe they can until it happens.  There are a lot of questionable areas of safety and they start with the battery, bms, and software.  All those have to work and be the right design matched to a specific motor.  People who don't work in product development probably see the limit as a 2 minute change, but it isn't.  I suspect Jason thinks he can have this change quickly and it will be good, when in reality it is not a quick change if it is to be done right, and not done just to hide other issues.

It's a good start though. The hidden issues can be addressed over time later.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I was going to write something like this but now I don't have to. 

Remember folks, Jason said " gentle tilt-back warning " not "thrown off by tilt back".  I still haven't had the guts to see if the full speed 16s tilt back is gentle, or body tossing like it is on my 14c.  So I see this less about Gotway speed, and more about quality tilt back, across all manufacturers, that you can ride up to at any speed, any battery charge level, any gradient, any bump, and not live in fear of being thrown down the road by tilt back.  If Gotway had a tilt back like that, then people could set it above their third beep and below cut off and be reassured that if they miss the beeps, they will be kept safe by a smooth, progressive tilt back. If that was the case for King Song or Gotway, I'm not even sure the 30mph max would be necessary, as this quality tilt back could be set at any reasonable speed but could not be turned off.  That way the safety is there, and the speed is there for those that want it.

I can tell you that on my 16 and 18S, the tilt back is gentle.  Even when i go all out at towards 40kmph on the 18S, haven't unlocked the 50kmph yet.

Just now, Smoother said:

That's reassuring.  Maybe I'll sneak up on it someday and see if I can surprise it.

yeah i did that in baby mode. it was yelling “pls decelerate” and i thought it was saying “pls accelerate”. i was probably stoned. the tilt back was very gentle, i thought.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

yeah i did that in baby mode. it was yelling “pls decelerate” and i thought it was saying “pls accelerate”. i was probably stoned. the tilt back was very gentle, i thought.

Probably...???

29 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Probably...???

i don’t remember, but i do remember laughing at myself later because i thought i was going too slow and the wheel was trying to speed things up.

i was like shaadup beatch!

I have only had the "please decelerate in a robot Chinese offspring of @Jason McNeil's voice when the power was below 50%. The tiltback on the KS18s is very gentle for me since I ride with a forward lean in the lean setting of the app. It is has been subtle on all the EUCs I have except the ips which I cant stand the beeping to get to the tiltback. At slow speeds its too much Alfred Hitchcock suspense to stand for. :wacko:

I think not being able to exceed a hard limit related to available remaining power/torque available is a good idea for safety.  Not everyone understands the limitations of these wheels well enough to avoid disaster.  Maybe a hard limit that can disabled with a security code could placate the hard core enthusiasts who want  the option to be limit free.  The default should be a hard sliding preset limit, but it should be able to be disengaged only through challenging means if a user really wants to.

I think with more powerful wheels this eventually will be a non-issue.  Whether or not a Porsche has a speed limiter at 305 kph to avoid blowing up the engine might be important to some enthusiasts, but the majority of drivers likely wouldn't care as long as the car performs well and safely at regular speeds.

With more torque and high speed capable wheels there should be plenty of safety margin available.  There's always going to be that one guy that needs to see how 100 kph feels like on one wheel, but Darwinism eventually prevails.  If there can be a safety limiter placed at 80 kph in that situation to help save those people I'm all for it.  I still had a good time on my Ninebot at 22 kph, and I knew it was keeping me within the safe limits of the motor and battery.  I had a need for more speed and range so I bought a different wheel.  The Ninebot safely served its purpose well and the tiltback gave me a good physical form of feedback so I knew exactly when to ease off.  I think if correctly implemented, tiltback can be an useful adjunct to these wheels.

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe a hard limit that can disabled with a security code could placate the hard core enthusiasts who want  the option to be limit free.  The default should be a hard sliding preset limit, but it should be able to be disengaged only through challenging means if a user really wants to.

I like that idea. In addition, before the security code would be accepted, the rider must read and agree to a written warning that states: I fully understand that disabling the hard limit could result result in serious injury and or death!

Our revered EUC Forum should seriously consider raising member safety awareness in the form of literature and or videos that focuses on self assessment and riding abilities similar to the chart below. Most of the categories in this motorcycle self assessment chart apply to our sport.

The pyramid could be interactive so each member accessing the chart can click on each category to view expanded knowledge on the specific subject matter. 

40168194894_61de372b05_b.jpg

45 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I like that idea. In addition, before the security code would be accepted, the rider must read and agree to a written warning that states: I fully understand that disabling the hard limit could result result in serious injury and or death!

Our revered EUC Forum should seriously consider raising member safety awareness in the form of literature and or videos that focuses on self assessment and riding abilities similar to the chart below. Most of the categories in this motorcycle self assessment chart apply to our sport.

The pyramid could be interactive so each member accessing the chart can click on each category to view expanded knowledge on the specific subject matter. 

40168194894_61de372b05_b.jpg

Well it already taught me something: "conspicuity".  Is that a word?

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Well it already taught me something: "conspicuity".  Is that a word?

Just for you I will attempt to find out.

27008622468_bb84ee5262_b.jpg

29 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Conspicuity was first used in 1601.  and apparently, not used again until 2018. :rolleyes:  

You would think so, but the Department of Transportation requires conspicuity tape on all trucks and trailers above a certain size. ;)

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Transportation/Commercial-and-Specialty-Vehicles/Traffic-Vehicle-Safety/Reflective-Conspicuity-Markings/?N=5002385+8709340+8709962+8710677+8710933+8711017+3294857497&rt=r3

20 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Yes and the Dept of Education still classifies catchup as a vegetable. So consider the source. Conspicuity is a made up noun. Conspicuous is an adjective. Conspicuity is a brand like Kleenex tissue.

If Flummadiddle can be a word than so can Conspicuity. English is such a vague and creative language.

19 hours ago, Smoother said:

Remember folks, Jason said " gentle tilt-back warning " not "thrown off by tilt back".  I still haven't had the guts to see if the full speed 16s tilt back is gentle, or body tossing like it is on my 14c.

Depends... you blow past the limit and it tilts back aggressively. You try and ease past the limit, riding the beep and the tilt back seems more gentle. Could just be my perception though since the transition would appear to be more extreme if you were aggressively leaning forward.

2 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

Conspicuity is a made up noun. Conspicuous is an adjective

That's what I was trying to get at.  I don't know all the rules of English, but I know when something sounds wrong.

2 hours ago, gr8ps said:

Depends... you blow past the limit and it tilts back aggressively. You try and ease past the limit, riding the beep and the tilt back seems more gentle. Could just be my perception though since the transition would appear to be more extreme if you were aggressively leaning forward.

@WARPed1701D has an excellent description of an ideal tilt back algorithm on page 1 of this thread.  I tried to quote it but my computer froze up three times, so this will have to do.

3 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

Yes and the Dept of Education still classifies catchup as a vegetable. So consider the source. Conspicuity is a made up noun. Conspicuous is an adjective. Conspicuity is a brand like Kleenex tissue.

If Flummadiddle can be a word than so can Conspicuity. English is such a vague and creative language.

I looked up Flummadiddle and discovered it is a bread pudding from the early settler days.  Weird name for food. :blink:

https://www.google.com/search?kgmid=/m/04dyn7&hl=en-US&kgs=6f0105c1181dffa6&q=Flummadiddle&shndl=0&source=sh/x/kp&entrypoint=sh/x/kp

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

That's what I was trying to get at.  I don't know all the rules of English, but I know when something sounds wrong.

Not to worry buddy. I’m sure hardcore bikers passed right over that word and 90% of the others.  :P

13 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I looked up Flummadiddle and discovered it is a bread pudding from the early settler days.  Weird name for food. :blink:

https://www.google.com/search?kgmid=/m/04dyn7&hl=en-US&kgs=6f0105c1181dffa6&q=Flummadiddle&shndl=0&source=sh/x/kp&entrypoint=sh/x/kp

What are you talking about? I'm enjoying a nice bowl of Flummadiddle right now and washing it down with a delicious goblet of mead.

31 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I like this word when put into the proper context. 

40844704002_e9468cc628_b.jpg

10 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Flummadiddle?

Dilly Dilly !!!

Ha Ha!

31 minutes ago, Smoother said:

What are you talking about? I'm enjoying a nice bowl of Flummadiddle right now and washing it down with a delicious goblet of mead.

I figured you'd be eating Groaty pudding, seeing as how that's an English dish.:lol:

Yeah. I remember this guy when he got into Brad from GW America's group. Brad even warned him about his speeds. I'm sad about this development. I was hoping he would follow sound advice. Group rides do funny things to people though. I ride with a bunch of OneWheelers and their mentality is not based on safety. They also roll right past pedestrians because "it's my line." I tend to get off my EUC if I see one which leaves me behind, usually.  

I know the last ride, one of them ended up with broken ribs, and a boosted board rider who came with us smashed the headlights he just got that day. I also smashed up my knee that day and I'm still healing from it almost four weeks later.

Notwithstanding, I'm not sure what the hard limit would do. I think people would just move on to another wheel or hack their current ones. The ones who are true speed demons. I know 95% of the Onewheel owners are pissed they can't go 20+ all the time without nose diving. There's even a "crash and burn" OneWheel Facebook group to show off gruesome injuries like a badge of honor. They're (speed demons with little regard for other people or themselves) gonna get into the hobby and they're gonna make it hard for the rest of us. The only way to stop them would be to have some kind of psych profile before buying so you know who you shouldn't sell to... I hope that never happens. I guarantee that all of us know of at least one person like this and they may be nice but we all know their gonna do something bad to themselves or someone else someday.

Archived