Lifetime Distance Record For An EUC: The Race To 100k Miles

Esash

What's the most miles you've put on a single wheel?

What's the most miles you've seen reported on a single wheel?

It seems like most people around this forum upgrade every 6-12 months, but you know there's somebody out there putting legendary mileage on his work commuter wheel, like a Ninebot 1, or an Inmotion V8, or a KS16s or something. Maybe 10,000 miles? 20,000 miles? Maybe somebody who commutes 20 miles a day for work, 5-6 days a week, for a couple years or something?

Anyway, it seems like just a matter of time until some ridiculous milestone is reached, like 50k or 100k miles (or kilometers)

What wheel do you think will earn the reputation as being the ultimate Iron Man wheel?

This thread got me thinking about this:

Lifetime V8

"I would like to know what reasonable mileage can be envisaged with a V8: 5000? 10000? 15000?

Of course, it depends on the use we make of it, but take a "standard" use as a reference."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/4473-gotway-mcm-5/&prev=search

2 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

"@Hansolo has more than 20,000 kms with his MSuper3, so you should be able to do the same with a V8, unless it's less reliable than a GotWay."

That Statement is not necessary true....

On a Msuperv3s+ with 1600wh 20000km means lets say about 200 full battery cycles (full cycle=100km)....on a V8 480wh for 20000km you would need as 3 times as much, as with a 1/3 battery you need much more charges....so that perhaps your battery already is in a weak state.

Thats -from range and security apart- why i would alyways would choose the biggest battery available for a wheel.

2 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

"@Hansolo has more than 20,000 kms with his MSuper3, so you should be able to do the same with a V8, unless it's less reliable than a GotWay."

If the V8 had the same battery capacity, it should get a similar total distance.  

8 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Anyway, it seems like just a matter of time until some ridiculous milestone is reached, like 50k or 100k miles (or kilometers)

I'd like to put a prize of whoever reaches the magical 100,000 kilometers, on any Wheel, gets a Free V10F, Ninbot Z10, or KS18L ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!

The terms would be that there would need to be some evidence of climbing up to this magical figure, be willing to do an interview/video about yourself, how the Wheel is used in your daily life, which be featured in an article & press publications ;)  

@KingSong69 has a very good point, it's the batteries that may limit a wheel's possible total range. Not sure how mosfets or other electronics age, though, maybe it's them? I certainly wouldn't want to depend on a single GW board for 100k km, seems like a risky gamble:efee8319ab:

E.g. ACM2 1600Wh is about 90km per full charge, so 1000 cycles (which is conservative, it's not like the batteries suddenly stop working then, they just get weaker) means 90k km, so 100k should be no problem.

There are several people (commuters, naturally) who have between 15k and 20k on a single wheel (Gotways), so maybe there's a 25k wheel somewhere?

@Pingouin reported some impressive ranges recently, and @Dancer reported a 13k ACM some time ago already.

I wish I knew before...

I ride my V8 to work (9.7 miles one way), then, at work I ride my V3 and a Q3 while my V8 is charging.

At the end of the day I ride my V8 again to go back home, another 9.7 or so miles. Then, when I'm home and I need to go somewhere I use my other V8 while the V8 that I use to go to work is charging...

I'd count distance traveled after a battery replacement as well. 

I think a lot of wheels could get to 100k km or even perhaps 100k miles after a battery swap or two. 

gaF3aIk.gif

2 hours ago, EUCMania said:

I do not think GW MSuper3 can reach 100k km because its control board smokes often. 

And here in California, it smokes weed and then has to take a cookie break.

My MSV3+ board had 4,000+ miles on it when the axle snapped and the shell cracked apart. I am replacing the board/shell/motor which will, as noted, "reset" the mileage on the wheel to zero. I suppose I will hit 10,000 miles total this year after three years of riding, but would only be able to "verify" about 2/3 of that.

BTW my V8 and KS14-C also needed replacement boards with less than 2,000 miles each. And technically the MSuper board is still functional, but I want to pair a board and motor from the same vintage which is why I am replacing them both.

@meepmeepmayer  This 1.6Kwh ACM is still working good today in the hands of someone else (sold), it's around 16 000km today. I hope it'll last another 15 000km :)

I would be very curious to see a +100 000km EUC, however I think only the +1.6Kwh EUC can do it, because considering 1000 charge cycles, a 1.6Kwh EUC would last about 100 000km.

The +20 000km MS3 of @Hansolo had the motor bearings changed.

@Jason McNeil Could you put a prize on the first rider to each 30 000km ? That's more reasonable even though I think not that easy to achieve I think the top mileage out there is somewhere between 20 000km & 25 000km :D

19 hours ago, dbfrese said:

See below for multiple ways to solve this problem:

Hide contents

Methods-to-quit-smoking.jpg.9740bef93244fa6c94ea3476dd7abf7b.jpg

In your less than delicious quit smoking pie, there are two slices missing. 1.) Closing your mouth before the cigarette gets there, and 2.) Vaping which has no smoke and is made of the same oils as nebulizers, which have been tested for decades for breathing problems in asthmatics. 

I just bought a 1992 Subaru Legacy wagon with 425,000 miles on it. It has a replaced engine, transmission is rebuilt, suspension has been completely replaced twice, several batteries, filters,tires, fuses, hoses, and cables later. It still has most of the original body, and most of the original interior, but thats the only stuff that rolled off the factory with the car as it stands now.

Can a wheel make it to 100,000? Maybe as long as there are still parts for replacement. I think because of space and time the maximum per year miles is around 30,000 so 100,000 in 2-3 years would be absolutely obsessive.:w00t2:

Very interesting....

I don’t have the patience to ride one wheel into the ground, too much wheel-candy to upgrade too! :D

But I’ve always wondered how long an EUC could last.

More than anything, I would be inclined to think the axles are the weakest link, until we get proper EUC suspension.

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Jason McNeil said:

I'd like to put a prize of whoever reaches the magical 100,000 kilometers, on any Wheel, gets a Free V10F, Ninbot Z10, or KS18L ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD!

The terms would be that there would need to be some evidence of climbing up to this magical figure, be willing to do an interview/video about yourself, how the Wheel is used in your 

See you in 6 years...... :P

• 7 months later...

Reviving an old thread since it's the same topic I was going to start one with anyway. 

@Hansolo are you still clocking the miles on the MS3 with only a motor bearing change?

I'm pacing about 2400 miles a year commuting on a 16s but I haven't taken very many rides for fun (well it is still fun going to work) so that figure will probably go up. 

I'm hoping to get 2 good years or about 5k to 6k miles out of it before its retired to live out the rest if its days as a trainer wheel. Is that a pretty reasonable expectation?

I'm easy on the wheel going to work and back, no curbs or stairs as I'm basically 200lbs in commuting guise,  and on days off I like to go off road where I'm sure there is more stress. 

Of course this could all change because I would like more wheels!  

Archived