Rehab1´s accident(s)

Rehab1

2 hours ago, kour said:

damn! so sorry, rehab :( i was off here for a bit so i'm just now seeing this. glad you are recovering

Thanks Kour! No apologizes necessary. Still vertical. :)

• Like 1

On 9.3.2018 at 1:28 PM, Rehab1 said:

If you or your friends ever undergo surgery I high recommend the Epi-Derm silicone patch to cover the scar.

Thank you very much for the tip! I guess as a doctor you naturally know such "tricks".

Just ordered one of these, as soon I'll have a knee keloid removed (from my crash a few months ago) and will try not to have it come back (which the f***ers naturally tend to do) with the help of the epiderm stuff.

If you have any tips or experience how to use these patches best, please don't hold back:efee8319ab:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thank you very much for the tip! I guess as a doctor you naturally know such "tricks".

Just ordered one of these, as soon I'll have a knee keloid removed (from my crash a few months ago) and will try not to have it come back (which the f***ers naturally tend to do) with the help of the epiderm stuff.

If you have any tips or experience how to use these patches best, please don't hold back:efee8319ab:

Your most welcome. Sorry I'm not a physician but I'll take the pay raise.:) I believe you will be happy with the results. Unfortunately they are expensive and my silicone strips lasted only 1 month before the sticky substance wore off. I attempted to use medical tape over the top of the silicone but no luck so my second order is on the way. Just make sure your knee is wiped clean and is dry before application. Also wash the silicone with a mild facial soap after use and let it dry thoroughly. I believe there are instructions about the care inside the box but I never looked at them.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

Thank you!

Tell me about it:efee612b4b:

I bought a square-ish patch for 65€ that I guess I can cut down to 4 pieces that fit (or at the very least two) so it's ok. It's for a good cause, after all:efee8319ab:

Be sure when you trim the material to allow about 8mm of spare material beyond your injury.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Still being sneaky? :roflmao:

Difficult times. I love sharing my life experiences with my wife but she clearly does not want me to ever ride again. 

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Difficult times. I love sharing my life experiences with my wife but she clearly does not want me to ever ride again. 

I hear you. Dealing with the SO can be taxing when they have definite ideas about what's on and not...

• Like 2

One small step for man, one giant leap towards coronary artery disease!  You should try reaching for that tub of KFC gravy and Doritos Nacho Chips instead to keep the muscles limber and the joints and intestinal tract well lubed!  :innocent1:  

I've gone through my second tub now, and I feel <gawk>.....   <clutches chest> .....  ju just fine!  I'm even having some chest pains of sheer flavor enjoyment!!!  :efeeec645d:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

A major accomplishment today., I was able to reach for my Burger King food with my left arm. It may not seem like much but it was a huge leap for me.:)

40497029595_ae6cb751c3_b.jpg

'Damn it Jim, I'm a pediatric orthopedist, not a cardiologist!'

dammit-jim-im-a-doctor-not-a-add-an-answ

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I've gone through my second tub now, and I feel <gawk>.....   <clutches chest> .....  ju just fine!  I'm even having some chest pains of sheer flavor enjoyment!!!  :efeeec645d:

Lol:laughbounce2:

2 hours ago, kasenutty said:

@Rehab1 , what was your order? 

Fish. Why are you hungry?;)

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Cool! Be happy this heals so quickly, could be different. I assume you do some kind of physical therapy regularly?

Thanks! Yes therapy but limited to 2 lbs. Mostly stretching exercises.

26523338767_e118d195ae_b.jpg

40499570155_4575b47f64_b.jpg
2 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Damn it Jim, I'm a pediatric orthopedist, not a cardiologist!'

Pediatric rehab not orthopedist. That would be a nice pay raise!  :) 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

@Rehab1 Got any tips for caring for someone after stuff like this? My Mom is getting a shoulder replacement soon, so somewhat different, but it seems like your shoulder fun could translate in some ways. The scar even looks like it overlaps a bit with the approach they're planning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramma said:

@Rehab1 Got any tips for caring for someone after stuff like this? My Mom is getting a shoulder replacement soon, so somewhat different, but it seems like your shoulder fun could translate in some ways. The scar even looks like it overlaps a bit with the approach they're planning.

Yes the incision would be similar for your mom. Does both the numeral socket and head need replaced? Therapy will be similar to the photos I shared. Your mom will be able to start therapy sooner as there will not be a biological break in the transplant. The medical adhesives are extremely strong and eventually bone matrix will form around the prosthetic implant making a strong bond.

I can’t lie. There is pain. Everyone handles it differently. I chose to attend therapy 1x a week due to scheduling issues on my end. Your mom will probably attend 3xs a week. Tell your mom not to push the limits. She needs to listen to her body during the rehabilitation phase. Unfortunately I did push it and had to miss therapy yesterday.

Ice will become your mom’s best friend for the first week post-op and after therapy sessions. I purchased a used Iceman therapy machine https://www.sourceortho.net/iceman-classic-cold-therapy-unit/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8J7P6eK52gIVDlmGCh0FTwlUEAQYBCABEgIed_D_BwE

and wore the cuff at night while sleeping in a recliner. It circulates cold water constantly and the container keeps the ice cold for up to 4 hours. 

She can buy an elevated pillow in place of the recliner as she will not be able to lye flat or on her side in bed for awhile. A recliner just makes it easier to get up .

Wish her the best for me.

Edit: I would also highly recommend an Interscalene Block. It will greatly reduce her pain after surgery for about 48 hours. For safety it should be performed by her anesthesiologist under ultrasound for proper location of the injection and prevent the possibility of any nerve damage. Her arm and hand will have no feeling or movement during that period of time but the pain will be gone too.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ramma said:

Just to round out @Rehab1s awesome advice...

It is also essential that she gets back on an EUC as early as possible!   ;)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Does both the numeral socket and head need replaced?

They decided on the reverse replacement, so both sides. She's just starting the pre-surgery prep which is ~3 weeks of physical therapy, tests, and classes. Then the surgeon said 6 weeks before she's allowed to drive again (I can chauffeur on an EUC, right?!). I'll have to come up with some more balanced meals to make too.

Iceman therapy machine

That looks kind of like what her doctor recommended, but insurance wouldn't cover. We've got a pretty good amount of flexible gel ice packs but something designed specifically for the shoulder would be nice. She's got one of those fancy adjustable beds, so it should be great for being more upright as needed.

I can’t lie. There is pain. Everyone handles it differently.

Fingers crossed she follows what she preaches here. I'm on disability from migraines and TN, and maybe it's just a motherly/parental response, but she's always encouraged me to do whatever I can to reduce my pain. Yet she's (impressively) powered through thus far with little more than a few steroid shots.

We've definitely got a list of questions for the pre-surgery office visit building up. I've been through so many different departments of the hospital that even though none had answers for my issues, the place as a whole is great.

Thanks for the tips, and hope things keep healing well!

• Like 2