My Mten3 Broke and What I'm Doing About it

3 minutes ago, stevedig said:

@Marty Backe you left the battery plugged in for almost the entire disassembly. now, i know the board is already blown but that's a lot of juice in that pack. your braver than i am. 

He was trying to get on this thread without posting.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Gotway isn't that bad :whistling:

Yip, you are right! As only 6 of 7 had failed ;-) Thats a much better quote, haha!

And the excuses you find...yip, logic, as Hotw...aeh, sorry, Gotway likes to say: Wrong user or usage :-)

But serious: Thats impressive bad luck on one side....But on the other side also very frightening :-(

Perhaps i better open up my new Tesla -again- and take a third look ;-)

39 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yip, you are right! As only 6 of 7 had failed ;-) Thats a much better quote, haha!

And the excuses you find...yip, logic, as Hotw...aeh, sorry, Gotway likes to say: Wrong user or usage :-)

But serious: Thats impressive bad luck on one side....But on the other side also very frightening :-(

Perhaps i better open up my new Tesla -again- and take a third look ;-)

It's a good thing that you didn't make this observation before you bought the Tesla, otherwise you may not have bought it :)

Just now, Marty Backe said:

It's a good thing that you didn't make this observation before you bought the Tesla, otherwise you may not have bought it :)

Naaaah, that all doesnt matter, i hope you know that my comments on the Gotway problems are mostly sarcastic and ironic!

I still also love their wheels...just hope they bring there shit better together

41 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Naaaah, that all doesnt matter, i hope you know that my comments on the Gotway problems are mostly sarcastic and ironic!

I still also love their wheels...just hope they bring there shit better together

I know. My comments are sarcastic too :)

8 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Did you put a strong light with a magnifier and find any burn marks?  

Not yet. I'll add additional comments if I find anything and as I fix the wheel.

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:innocent1:  Please please please God, let the only Gotway wheel that Marty Backe doesn't own be a good one!  I've waited this long for a wheel that he doesn't buy, please let it pay off!

Don't mind me - just mumbling some prayers to myself.  :whistling:

I own them all by the way. Have you seen my signature lately? 'surprise' video soon. Psst - don't tell anyone.

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wha what?  I didn't get the memo!  :blink:  Oh oh, that means I'm doomed!

:lol:  Hey congrats on making that Tesla plunge!  I was wondering how long it would take before you clicked that "BUY NOW" button!  Secret's safe with me!  My lips are sealed!  :efef585a74:

Thanks. Since my Mten3 failed I've been kind of bummed. So I needed to interject some new excitement into my EUC life. I pick it up personally from Jason tomorrow. So if you ride yours today you should still be safe :laughbounce2:

20 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, thanks :furious: ;)

If I get lost come reassembly time, I'm calling you (but maybe yours is still in pieces waiting for a tube?).

I will video the fix.

Sorry, but you have to admit you were tempting fate with all those cool Mten3 videos .  :P  Speaking of my situation, I got a package in the mail just today that should get me back on the road.  I had placed several orders for innertubes.  The pictures and descriptions on Alie leave a lot to be desired.  One order arrived a couple of days ago, but that one was a bust.  Anybody need a tube of exactly the right dimensions but with the valve oriented at right angles to the plane of the wheel?  Yeah, me neither.  But the tube that arrived today looks just right.  10" in diameter, 2.5" nominal width, valve correctly oriented.  Here's the link if you want to order one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6VW7Ih&orderId=87463116978632&productId=32826614144

56 minutes ago, radial said:

Sorry, but you have to admit you were tempting fate with all those cool Mten3 videos .  :P  Speaking of my situation, I got a package in the mail just today that should get me back on the road.  I had placed several orders for innertubes.  The pictures and descriptions on Alie leave a lot to be desired.  One order arrived a couple of days ago, but that one was a bust.  Anybody need a tube of exactly the right dimensions but with the valve oriented at right angles to the plane of the wheel?  Yeah, me neither.  But the tube that arrived today looks just right.  10" in diameter, 2.5" nominal width, valve correctly oriented.  Here's the link if you want to order one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6VW7Ih&orderId=87463116978632&productId=32826614144

:D

I'd like to bookmark that tube and maybe even buy a spare. Could you double-check the link because it doesn't work for me. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, radial said:

Yes, that one works. Thanks!

So, to summarise the underlying theme of this thread... We should all check with Marty before buying a wheel - and if he is buying the same one at the same time then don't. 

Stick with that and everything should work (that is, for everyone but Marty)!

14 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So, to summarise the underlying theme of this thread... We should all check with Marty before buying a wheel - and if he is buying the same one at the same time then don't. 

Stick with that and everything should work (that is, for everyone but Marty)!

:roflmao:

I have determined why my Mten3 failed. To summarize, Gotway designed and/or provided a battery pack that is not compatible with the power requirements of the powerful Mten3 motor.

Here is the video that lays it all out followed by some photographs. As I type this I feel inclined to write the battery pack off as a total loss. Considering how much a new battery pack would cost, I may have to buy a new Mten3.

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

38 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I have determined why my Mten3 failed. To summarize, Gotway designed and/or provided a battery pack that is not compatible with the power requirements of the powerful Mten3 motor.

IMG_0042.jpg

Supremely disappointing. Basically an utterly inaccessible, non-replaceable fusible link. Seems way under-engineered, even if your turnstile incident generated anomalous current load not representative of normal operations.

Excellent job on the video breakdown @Marty Backe, the macro shots combined with the narrative of your thought process makes understanding what happened easy. 

I'm the last person to give electrical advice, but I'm cautiously optimistic that it's only the burnt contact that's the problem.  If I had to bet, I'm guessing you'll be able to fix it and there isn't any bad cells.  Would you need a spot welder to be able to fix it or could you use a normal soldering iron?

On the positive side hopefully the nickel strip that burnt away acted as a "Gotway fuse" that may have saved your control board.  If there is room in the case, I would get some flux, put some over the contacts and solder a heavy gauge wire or two across to bridge it making sure beforehand that it will fit back in properly.

It's strange though why the nickel strip melted at that exact point.  Does it butt up against the plastic shell somehow or was there a pinch or bend in the metal I wonder?  Maybe the PCB separator board underneath in close proximity has something to do with it.  Hopefully someone at Gotway knows the detailed assembly of the pack and can figure out why it failed at this point.

As Gimlet mentioned, maybe it's a good spot for a fuse, but what amperage would be suitable here?  When push comes to shove, something is bound to fail if a wheel is pushed beyond its operating boundaries.  Better it be a repairable nickel bridge than a pricey control board?

Archived