My Mten3 Broke and What I'm Doing About it

4 hours ago, Stanor said:

traces of oxidation ... so there is steel ...

2CE5C049-686B-400C-BC60-350FC0CABDA4.jpeg

I'm glad you are taking this preventive measure. It's not a sure thing that yours will fail, but after you add the wire(s) you will have peace of mind.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Stanor said:

I have a little abuse on the weld :w00t2:, but it's good, the wheel works :clap3:. on the other hand, it's a bit hard to put everything back in and rebuild the wheel . 

71DCCF2F-BD5A-434A-A4BD-7CD0FFB322E0.jpeg

Yes, that battery case is a real pain. Looks good though!

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, that battery case is a real pain. Looks good though!

Imagine a situation where the GW people would be in the forums listening, telling people they won't void their warranty for using the obvious remedy... Just showing they see and listen, that they're on it.

14 hours ago, Scatcat said:

There should be some damper built in to protect MOSFETs, capacitors, wires, batteries and so on. The obvious place to put such a provision would be in the firmware, making sure sudden inputs don't burn out the circuits.

Or they just use better parts than are guaranteed to not fail from what these stupid batteries can produce (it's not like their nuclear reactors) and are done. Thicker wires, better mosfets, and such rocket science.

But I guess that's too easy and too obvious.

14 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Instead they probably are thinking about how they can install a small fan to blow over that area or maybe add in a heatsink... :whistling:

Exactly the kind of thing you would expect them to do:efef015fe0::efee8c29ce: Maximum moronic bandaiding.

19 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Or they just use better parts than are guaranteed to not fail from what these stupid batteries can produce (it's not like their nuclear reactors) and are done. Thicker wires, better mosfets, and such rocket science.

But I guess that's too easy and too obvious.

Exactly the kind of thing you would expect them to do:efef015fe0::efee8c29ce: Maximum moronic bandaiding.

Actually no.

Not that I don't think they should use better parts, but that is not what I was after. However good parts you use (within reason) there is always a risk of frying stuff. I used to handle multi-kilowatt sound systems at clubs in my youth. Systems that should suffice to smash your eardrums without failing. Even so I had to change parts almost every week. At one time a treble speaker element was so hot that the magnets and metal frames was hot enough to burn your fingers. And these were state of the art stuff, not something bought as cheaply as possible.

The only systems that could actually take anything you asked of them, were the computer controlled systems that used advanced firmware algorithms to dampen spikes, keep the median load under control and intelligently boost the right stuff at the right time to optimise both effect and cooling. But those were beyond the budget for most clubs in the eighties.

We of course need good hardware, thick cables, good capacitors, strong and cool MOSFETs and so on, but the situation where the system says it want 100A is not solved by thicker wires. Unless the batteries can actually safely dish out that power, which would require something more resilient than the typical Sanyo batteries, you really don't want the system to ask for it. Also it is not really necessary, as it would be power in the 8kW range.

So better not ask for that kind of power, but provide the actual power needed - and that is where a damping system comes into play. It will save your batteries from over-discharge, it will save your MOSFETs, capacitors and wires, not to mention keep temperatures within the motor under control.

Oh this makes me very unhappy.  Instead of asking customers to dig into their wheels/battery packs to fix their latest case of under-engineering, I am going to push that Mten3 owners are sent new packs that do not exhibit this behavior.

13 minutes ago, NBC44 said:

Hi everyone.

I have a question for my mten3.  When riding in sports mode, the pedals tilt a lot.  Is there anyway to stop the tilting in sports mode? 

The Mten3 has no pedal tilt in Sports Mode. Are you absolutely positive that's the mode you are in? If you are, I have no idea what's wrong with your wheel.

5 hours ago, paolinger said:

What do you think about this noise?
Sorry for the combination socks and slippers.

Mten3 noise-r.mp4

I think it's not good that you have that noise. I listened several times but I can't think what it might be. I know that doesn't help. Just wanted you to know that someone had a listen. Best of luck

5 hours ago, paolinger said:

What do you think about this noise?
Sorry for the combination socks and slippers.

Mten3 noise-r.mp4

Seems a little loud, but it depends so much on the background noise, microphone, etc. The Mten3 can be noisy.

@Marty The Mten3 has no pedal tilt in Sports Mode. Are you absolutely positive that's the mode you are in? If you are, I have no idea what's wrong with your wheel.

It tilts a lot.  The medium & leisure mode does not tilt.  Should I calibrate it?

15 minutes ago, NBC44 said:

@Marty The Mten3 has no pedal tilt in Sports Mode. Are you absolutely positive that's the mode you are in? If you are, I have no idea what's wrong with your wheel.

It tilts a lot.  The medium & leisure mode does not tilt.  Should I calibrate it?

Calibration would have no effect on the pedals hardness. Maybe the app that you are using has the descriptions attached to the wrong buttons? I can't think of what could be the problem.

Then again they are just labels. As long as you have a mode that has no tilt you're good.

BTW, the only thing that changes when you are in the different modes is the 'hardness' of the pedals - how much they tilt as you accelerate and decelerate. The mode does not affect motor power, speed, acceleration, etc. So if for some reason Leisure provides the non-tilt mode, just use that.

On a separate issue, I think everyone should calibrate their wheels. Sometimes wheels come from the factory non-level. Also, experiment. Maybe you would like the pedals tilted backwards a degree or too. Calibration takes 30-seconds to do. 

I don't think this deserves its own thread, so please pardon the brief hijack.  The version of the Gotway app I was using when I first got my Mten3 worked fine.  I don't use the app very often, but there are some parameters you can only change by using it.  Apparently, there was a recent update, at least on the iOS platform?  Suddenly the app is speaking Chinese only.  I get this screen when I try to login:

IMG_4811.thumb.PNG.c73e811002e59af2da79564b3fa15a05.PNG

Click on that first field and you get a drop-down list of various countries.  I select the United States option, but that's as far as I can get.  The second field wants a number, the third one wants an alphanumeric string.  No idea what it's looking for or whether, even if I guessed correctly, the app would suddenly start speaking English.  Help.  

5 minutes ago, radial said:

I don't think this deserves its own thread, so please pardon the brief hijack.  The version of the Gotway app I was using when I first got my Mten3 worked fine.  I don't use the app very often, but there are some parameters you can only change by using it.  Apparently, there was a recent update, at least on the iOS platform?  Suddenly the app is speaking Chinese only.  I get this screen when I try to login:

Click on that first field and you get a drop-down list of various countries.  I select the United States option, but that's as far as I can get.  The second field wants a number, the third one wants an alphanumeric string.  No idea what it's looking for or whether, even if I guessed correctly, the app would suddenly start speaking English.  Help.  

I can't remember where I saw this, but someone posted within the last few days on how to get to the settings where you can change the language to English. If I remember it was only one or two clicks to get to the Settings icon. Maybe click around and look for a settings icon.

10 minutes ago, radial said:

It's really funny how these Chinese companies can't figure out how to use the existing APIs to automatically use the language that's configured on the phone. After all, it's only the year 2017.

And some people think that China is going to dominate the world. I laugh.

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

@radial  I didn't read through it, but maybe this will help.

@steve454 , thanks I just found that thread.  Apparently if you can get past the initial three questions in a language you don't understand, you then, and only then, get to a screen where you can select a language you do understand.  (Is it just me or is that a really dumb piece of user interface design?)  First field is country, second is phone number, third is password.  Password?  I'm supposed to remember the password I used when I first started using the previous version of the app?  Well, apparently I don't.  None of my guesses worked.  Sheesh, why is everything so difficult with Gotway?  I would never, ever, ever have allowed the app upgrade if I thought it was going to leave me stranded like this.  

25 minutes ago, radial said:

@steve454 , thanks I just found that thread.  Apparently if you can get past the initial three questions in a language you don't understand, you then, and only then, get to a screen where you can select a language you do understand.  (Is it just me or is that a really dumb piece of user interface design?)  First field is country, second is phone number, third is password.  Password?  I'm supposed to remember the password I used when I first started using the previous version of the app?  Well, apparently I don't.  None of my guesses worked.  Sheesh, why is everything so difficult with Gotway?  I would never, ever, ever have allowed the app upgrade if I thought it was going to leave me stranded like this.  

BTW, what do you need the app for? I think Calibration is the only function that the independent apps can't yet do.

15 hours ago, radial said:

Password?  I'm supposed to remember the password I used when I first started using the previous version of the app?  Well, apparently I don't.  None of my guesses worked.  Sheesh, why is everything so difficult with Gotway?  I would never, ever, ever have allowed the app upgrade if I thought it was going to leave me stranded like this.  

I hear you, when Ninebot did the forced app upgrade, I was lost!  I had no idea that my password would be needed ever again.  Never could find it written down anywhere, couldn't remember it.  Never thought it would be required again.:furious:  First I installed an app that didn't require registration, but some of the functions were inoperable.  Then I went through the process of registering with the new app as if I was a new owner.  What a freakin hassle.  Why do they make it so difficult?  I bought my ninebot from a Segway dealer, shouldn't the dealer be responsible for registering the wheel?  

I can't complain too much,though, it seems to have P speed:huh:

I wonder if mine has the P model board?  It will do at least 15mph without tiltback or beeps.:huh: I wonder how fast it will go?:wacko:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, what do you need the app for? I think Calibration is the only function that the independent apps can't yet do.

It's been a while since I used it, but isn't there also an option for setting the overall riding mode?  

8 minutes ago, radial said:

It's been a while since I used it, but isn't there also an option for setting the overall riding mode?  

Yes, the riding mode. Three choices from soft to hard.

WheelLog for Android allows you to change the mode and I think (but not positive) that DarknessBot for IOS also allows you to change the ride mode.

Are you Android or IOS?

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, the riding mode. Three choices from soft to hard.

WheelLog for Android allows you to change the mode and I think (but not positive) that DarknessBot for IOS also allows you to change the ride mode.

Are you Android or IOS?

I'm on the iOS platform.  DarknessBot is a great app.  I use it for pretty much everything on my other wheels.  But I don't think it gives you access to the riding mode on the Gotway Mten3.  

6 minutes ago, radial said:

I'm on the iOS platform.  DarknessBot is a great app.  I use it for pretty much everything on my other wheels.  But I don't think it gives you access to the riding mode on the Gotway Mten3.  

From the app perspective all Gotway wheels are the same unless DarknessBot filters the wheels based on name, for some odd reason. Too bad.

Archived