My Mten3 Broke and What I'm Doing About it

@Marty Backe Hi Marty, so sorry to hear about your MTen3 :(  I was researching this model actually as I was looking at  the Luffy just yesterday, surprised at the cost of this little wheel!  Was thinking of picking this up for my commute to and from the bus stop...seems like the range is good, although i am confused with the different battery sizes and now I see you went through this :( 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

@Marty Backe Hi Marty, so sorry to hear about your MTen3 :(  I was researching this model actually as I was looking at  the Luffy just yesterday, surprised at the cost of this little wheel!  Was thinking of picking this up for my commute to and from the bus stop...seems like the range is good, although i am confused with the different battery sizes and now I see you went through this :( 

It was a freak accident that caused this. I have a couple of hundred miles on it with no problems. I still think this is a fantastic wheel. But of course it can be approved.

I always opt for the bigger battery because of the additional safety margin and of course the longer range. I can get a solid 18 miles from the largest capacity model.

do you think it had something to do with the turnstyle? quite a bizarre incident.

I've seen this on EWheels at a pretty high price, comparing it with the kingsong 16 or even 14...given the day to day commute im getting even more confused! lol.......

5 hours ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

And this is NOT a Gotway design flaw.

4 hours ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Gotway,KingSong,Sony,Dewalt etc.,they are all constructed pretty much the same way.

The shape of the wheel has put constrain on the shape of the battery pack but still, there IS a flaw : one strip missing and the melted one had to support 2x stronger current / heat. Otherwise you could almost divide by two the number of strips in the whole pack. 

Also there is another case. A french guy who only did some meters in his office. The melting occured just after charging the wheel for the first time. Not like @Marty Backe, there were no hard riding... More a problem of board / gyro which put too much pressure on the battery as the wheel was acting erraticaly for a a short time before and after charging. Another case of lack of QC or of a wheel not happy with the transport...

Looks like the use of a fuse could be a good thing anyway but what would be the good value ?  I have had a +80A short spike in wheelog, while braking from 20 to 10kph in almost one second. I don't know how much that would be at the battery level.

IMG_1004.thumb.JPG.2ef82791a2765c6f70a3d277e0944ab4.JPG.d09083944543636113f301e08654c147.JPG

31 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

do you think it had something to do with the turnstyle? quite a bizarre incident.

I've seen this on EWheels at a pretty high price, comparing it with the kingsong 16 or even 14...given the day to day commute im getting even more confused! lol.......

The turnstile incident is what caused it to fail. 100 percent certain. The wheel became stuck for a brief period as I continued to apply some forward pressure. That equals too much current draw from the battery.

As @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" (who also owns an Mten3) mentioned to me yesterday, you can think of the Tesla as a big version of the Mten3. What I'm saying is that the  Mten3 is not cheap because it a very serious wheel in a tiny package. Don't let its size fool you into thinking it's a lesser machine.

But for a daily, primary wheel, I would not recommend the Mten3. Like the Monster, the Mten3 is more of a specialized wheel. I would stick with a 14-inch or 16-inch wheel. Haven't you bought that used one yet :)

14 minutes ago, jbwheel said:

The shape of the wheel has put constrain on the shape of the battery pack but still, there IS a flaw : one strip missing and the melted one had to support 2x stronger current / heat. Otherwise you could almost divide by two the number of strips in the whole pack. 

Also there is another case. A french guy who only did some meters in his office. The melting occured just after charging the wheel for the first time. Not like @Marty Backe, there were no hard riding... More a problem of board / gyro which put too much pressure on the battery as the wheel was acting erraticaly for a a short time before and after charging. Another case of lack of QC or of a wheel not happy with the transport...

Looks like the use of a fuse could be a good thing anyway but what would be the good value ?  I have had a +80A short spike in wheelog, while braking from 20 to 10kph in almost one second. I don't know how much that would be at the battery level.

IMG_1004.thumb.JPG.2ef82791a2765c6f70a3d277e0944ab4.JPG.d09083944543636113f301e08654c147.JPG

I actually JUST finished @Marty Backe YouTube video......WOW is all I have to say, wondering where I can spend my heard earned money now! Such a shame the design is engineered in that manner :( 

Just now, jbwheel said:

@Marty Backe Another solution from the French forum. One solder is on the BMS which is easier, as far as I can see.

6BA678D9-24A6-4DF7-ADB6-B39716A8E6EF.jpeg.6681c2bceae1f9d3ec6bfaf6898d9b67.jpeg.f967d7007c7d149d960256c93f13d320.jpeg

OK, I have since more closely inspected the two cells and the damage appears to be localized to the plastic. I've measure the voltage on both packs and they are the same.

Sooooo, I just soldered a piece of 12 gauge wire onto the tabs, and the solder seems very secure. I think I'll add another wire as you suggest for redundancy :)

Folks, I'm going to try and put this wheel back together!

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The turnstile incident is what caused it to fail. 100 percent certain. The wheel became stuck for a brief period as I continued to apply some forward pressure. That equals too much current draw from the battery.

As @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" (who also owns an Mten3) mentioned to me yesterday, you can think of the Tesla as a big version of the Mten3. What I'm saying is that the  Mten3 is not cheap because it a very serious wheel in a tiny package. Don't let its size fool you into thinking it's a lesser machine.

But for a daily, primary wheel, I would not recommend the Mten3. Like the Monster, the Mten3 is more of a specialized wheel. I would stick with a 14-inch or 16-inch wheel. Haven't you bought that used one yet :)

Wow, such a bizarre occurrence. 

LOL I actually passed on the V3, still researching! thinking of something I can take with me everywhere! I really like the compactness of the MTen3 and the range! was debating the IP5 and currently on the fence with the Kingsong 14.....

Im going to hold back! hoping a lot of members will be buying this Holiday season and selling their gear! 

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

OK, I have since more closely inspected the two cells and the damage appears to be localized to the plastic. I've measure the voltage on both packs and they are the same.

Sooooo, I just soldered a piece of 12 gauge wire onto the tabs, and the solder seems very secure. I think I'll add another wire as you suggest for redundancy :)

Good.I would use a dremel to ruff up the area that you solder on the strip.It greatly enhances the solder bond.

54 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Sooooo, I just soldered a piece of 12 gauge wire onto the tabs, and the solder seems very secure. I think I'll add another wire as you suggest for redundancy

Excellent. If I can suggest, try soldering the second wire 15- 25 mm outwards from both sides of the break to obtain good clean surfaces. BTW, if you need, Amazon carries a variety of battery pack shrink wrap. You will need a heat gun. 

26754926619_e31a84d43c_b.jpg

51 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Instead of using wire, how about a short piece of ground strap?  Might get more strength in the solder connection due to the more contact area?

Image result for ground strap

Marty, all of France is watching you! :D

What you put in redundancy is what is planned to put in prevention. But as you are the precursor, we will wait to see what it gives to you. :D

The ground strap seems to be a good idea. however, it must be taken in copper.

27 minutes ago, Stanor said:

What you put in redundancy is what is planned to put in prevention. But as you are the precursor, we will wait to see what it gives to you. :D

After thinking some more, I withdraw my idea.  It would be much safer to just get a new MTen3.  We are not electronic engineers here.  Better to just get a new MTen3 and never ride through a turnstile again.

It's not a good plan to modify the companies products.  They have the expertise.  We don't.  

This fuseable link might be a safety item.

Oops:blink1:  Now it looks like I'm dissing Marty. Dammit:pooping:

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Excellent. If I can suggest, try soldering the second wire 15- 25 mm outwards from both sides of the break to obtain good clean surfaces. BTW, if you need, Amazon carries a variety of battery pack shrink wrap. You will need a heat gun. 

26754926619_e31a84d43c_b.jpg

Thanks @Rehab1. Too late, I'm already done - video is processing :D I didn't replace some of the heat shrink tubing because this battery pack sits inside of the hard plastic case, and it's a tight fit. There's nothing like rebuilding something yourself (as you well know Mr ACM rebuilder) to have confidence that it's going to hold together.

I really appreciate the info and I'm going to add this tubing to my Amazon EUC List.

:thumbup:

32 minutes ago, Stanor said:

Stay tuned. Looks like a success.

11 minutes ago, steve454 said:

After thinking some more, I withdraw my idea.  It would be much safer to just get a new MTen3.  We are not electronic engineers here.  Better to just get a new MTen3 and never ride through a turnstile again.

It's not a good plan to modify the companies products.  They have the expertise.  We don't.  

This fuseable link might be a safety item.

Oops:blink1:  Now it looks like I'm dissing Marty. Dammit:pooping:

Too late, it's a done deal. I'm all about positivety, and this new wheel is going to burn a MOSFET next time before it blows a battery pack :D

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Too late, it's a done deal. I'm all about positivety, and this new wheel is going to burn a MOSFET next time before it blows a battery pack :D

I have little doubt that you will be successful.Unlike most engineers I know, you seem to have real world skills!:)

Well guys, here's the conclusion to my little Mten3 repair odyssey. I'm sorry @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", but you're not going to get my battery pack. Thanks for the push to dig deeper into though :thumbup:

:thumbup:  :clap3: Way to go!  Glad to hear you were able to get your favorite wheel working again, and that solder job looked great!  Maybe double check the wiring on the LED strip.  It might be something simple that is preventing it from working correctly (pinched wire, bad contact at connector, short somewhere)?

I would monitor it carefully while charging to 100% to make sure everything is working okay.

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Well guys, here's the conclusion to my little Mten3 repair odyssey. I'm sorry @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", but you're not going to get my battery pack. Thanks for the push to dig deeper into though :thumbup:

Wow, major congratulations! must of been an amazing feeling getting it to work.  This is awesome!

11 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:thumbup:  :clap3: Way to go!  Glad to hear you were able to get your favorite wheel working again, and that solder job looked great!  Maybe double check the wiring on the LED strip.  It might be something simple that is preventing it from working correctly?

Yes, I'll probably open it again, but I'm going to first enjoy it for a bit - I missed this little guy :)

9 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

Wow, major congratulations! must of been an amazing feeling getting it to work.  This is awesome!

Yes, it did feel good to make it work again. Lets hope it holds ;)

Archived