Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

24 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

There are many excuses not to learn to ride, endless excuses, all essentially paralyzing you from getting on the EUC. Fear is not a bad thing; if your gut feeling is telling you something is wrong then it's highly likely something is wrong and you can either handle it in a safe manner or not do it. EUC's are dangerous and require a minimal fitness and agility level.

Personally, it took me a short time to get moving but it felt sketchy as hell. Ultimately one must stop talking and do <the action>.

i’m more afraid of a tree limb falling on my head in my driveway, these wheels, not so much. there’s a reason my road is covered with tree limbs, they fell. but yeah, other than working my 1000 plus pound cattle by myself and living in the woods with Bob, i don’t need anymore medical issues.  i’ve got 325 acres, but right now not a good place to do it. it’s cooler now but pretty breezy. kinda wish we’d get a mild tropical storm to finish bringing down these limbs. knowing how hot it is, and knowing that i don’t leave Bob alone evah, only minutes at a time when i provision, i figured October is when i’d start when it usually cools, and Bob’s birthday is the 8th of this month. 

researching the risk reward thing, it is a little discouraging thinking i might have to or should put on protective gear for just a ride to my mailbox and back. i’m thinking the road will be better to learn on and unfortunately, around December my pastures wiil probably be pretty low on grass and i can ride out there. i gotta think i’d be pretty safe falling unprotected in the grass even though my pastures are hard. 

so i’m guessing when u see that girl in that video riding with no gear, u think that’s a very dangerous activity that u personally would not do without protective gear? i would imagine if she went down, she could be hurt very badly.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I use the non-social Gotway app to configure my wheels, and lately I only use the WheelLog app since it can now control the wheel too. Sorry, but I can't help with the social app since I've never used it (except once, and then I uninstalled it :))

Thanks!  

How fast can you safely go on you MTen3?

I'm 210 pounds, 6.2, and I'd like to know it...

BTW, it's a very good little machine.  

38 minutes ago, novazeus said:

when u see that girl in that video riding with no gear, u think that’s a very dangerous activity that u personally would not do without protective gear? i would imagine if she went down, she could be hurt very badly.

I saw that video and was worried for her the whole time.  But she seems to have never had a bad fall.

I was thinking that Kiwano or whatever would be very easy to learn with the wide tire and handlebar, and it would transfer over to the other wheels.  You were going to order one if I remember right, or were considering it.

The weather here is turning, just last week some leaves started falling, good weather ahead.

35 minutes ago, novazeus said:

researching the risk reward thing, it is a little discouraging thinking i might have to or should put on protective gear for just a ride to my mailbox and back. i’m thinking the road will be better to learn on and unfortunately, around December my pastures wiil probably be pretty low on grass and i can ride out there. i gotta think i’d be pretty safe falling unprotected in the grass even though my pastures are hard. 

so i’m guessing when u see that girl in that video riding with no gear, u think that’s a very dangerous activity that u personally would not do without protective gear? i would imagine if she went down, she could be hurt very badly.

Once you get the hang of it, you won't need to suit up for a simple ride out to the mailbox and back.  Sure, there's some non-zero level of risk involved, but it's probably vanishingly low when you are riding for a short distance on a familiar course with no cars or pedestrians to worry about.  But that's only going to be true once you develop some basic profficiency.  You'll want to be fully protected as you go through the process of getting there, particularly if your livelihood depends on your remaining more or less physically intact.

Personally, I would never ride like Justina does in that video.  But I guess that's easy for me to say.  I'm not in the business of selling the machines or the sport/hobby, so I have no reason to make it look effortless and risk-free.  I'm just a rider on the wrong side of 60, so I'm looking out for myself first and foremost.  Gear up, buddy.  You can go all Rambo later.  

• Like 1

@steve454 @radial i appreciate ur input. i’d rather learn from other people’s mistakes or misfortune. i’ve done enough stupid things myself. u would think getting told u have 3 months to live because of ur cancer in july 2014 would make u fearless, but i’m more afraid now of getting hurt than dying right now, mainly because of my ranch duties. it’s a full time job surviving cancer but the rewards are priceless, duh. except for my cancer and the massive doses of photons and protons they gave me 3 years ago, i’m healthier than i’ve ever been(haven’t been sick a day since they told me i was a dead man)haven’t seen a doctor in over 3 years. and i don’t do what they told me to do. tn i’ll be trying out some new cannabis oil suppositories i just made up. twice as strong as the dozen i just finished. they sb kickass, no pun etc. but yeah to give the euc thing a fair go, i should probably not be cannabis oil wobbly when i do it. i’m hoping rectally will not be as psychoactive. so far, so good.

like once experienced, how fast on smooth pavement, no cars, etc. would u go without protective gear. for example, i haven’t inlined skated for 7 years or so, but if i chose to, not on my road, i’d skate in a speedo(not where anybody could see me) full bore. i’ve fallen before skating, full bore wearing like gym shorts and nothing else. not fun but no biggie. never wore a bicycle helmet. don’t think those were invented yet. use to ride my ktm 525 exc around the ranch, no helmet etc. 

it seems like certain brands are pretty bulletproof if not pushing the limits of speed or battery capacity, is that a fair statement? inline skates don’t cut off but my rail did come loose, that’s why i fell. 

@steve454 yes, first gloomy, but not hideously hot here day. i’m 4th generation floridian so even though i appreciate cooler weather immensely, i can deal with the heat. i’ve been inside more this year than i ever have because my not so little bodyguard follows me everywhere and growing him up, i wanted to keep him out of the heat. 

my property is in a very hot real estate market. i’ve priced the whole 325 acres @$50 mil with like a speedy close in 6 months. that would suit me but probably i’ll be involved in designing something that i sell in parcels. my county is very big on multi use paths and so am i. especially having tampa’s only outlet mall and a costco next door. so exploring these alternative types of transportation is more a business thing as opposed to something fun to do. i mean, i never leave the ranch, unless i have to. especially after vegas and the rest of the stupid shit humans do.

i could see myself trying to get a gf on one. here, put on these knee guards, shin guards, elbow protectors, wrist protectors, leather jacket, full face helmet and gloves. nope, not gonna happen. i’m sure none of them have insurance so i’d be on the hook for medical expenses. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, radial said:

They'll likely be more interested in you if you do, and that should be fine and dandy.  

the girls in fl must be different than MD. they’d be way more interested in me if i sold the ranch. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

I was thinking that Kiwano or whatever would be very easy to learn with the wide tire and handlebar, and it would transfer over to the other wheels.  You were going to order one if I remember right, or were considering it.

yes, i ordered one. supposedly coming from the manufacturer to their distribution hub, or something like that. that was another reason iwas dragging feet on jumping on. figured since i paid for all 4, i might as well try them all out together. that and being too lazy to clear my road. probably the latter more than anything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

does anybody have any idea the safe range of a mten3 on the smallest battery?

A safe (reliable) range on the 512wh version is 18 miles, carrying ~170 pounds. If nobody answers your question with direct experience, divide my numbers accordingly to arrive at an estimate range.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gustesta said:

Thanks!  

How fast can you safely go on you MTen3?

I'm 210 pounds, 6.2, and I'd like to know it...

BTW, it's a very good little machine.  

I don't feel safe going above 20mph. I think this wheel is best enjoyed between 10 and 15 mph. If your primary interest is speed you should look at other wheels.

11 hours ago, novazeus said:

does anybody have any idea the safe range of a mten3 on the smallest battery?

Taking the biggest battery size is very important for wheel power and safety. You will lose at least 50% power because of different cell type and lower capacity, while the small diameter require more actually.

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

A safe (reliable) range on the 512wh version is 18 miles, carrying ~170 pounds. If nobody answers your question with direct experience, divide my numbers accordingly to arrive at an estimate range.

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't feel safe going above 20mph. I think this wheel is best enjoyed between 10 and 15 mph. If your primary interest is speed you should look at other wheels.

You know, with those specs, I wonder if the Mten3 might not turn out to be a pretty good commuting wheel.  18 miles gets me to work and back with plenty of margin to spare, and 10-15 mph wouldn't be so bad on the multi-use paths and sidewalks that make up most of my commuting route.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I'm somewhat commenting inappropriately as I don't actually own this MTen wheel, haven't even ridden it, but I love commuting on my small KS14c if I have plenty of time.

To me, some of life's greatest pleasures is taking my little KS14 (and not my bigger wheels) on an early morning commute where I can slowly make my way to work, solving "problems" on the way such as weaving between poles, going through very narrow alleys, taking 180 turn pedestrian bridges, staying on the sidewalk and trying to figure the path through very broken pavements, and even getting stuck in the mud is all part of the fun.

However, if I take my KS14c and I'm a bit pressed for time, and I got above 12 mph on it, then things get really sketchy. Small wheels are actually quite dangerous, and I've crashed on all sorts of odd places that you wouldn't believe (hint: be extra cautious around places that have handicapped signs as they are full of drops you don't see until you're right on top of them).

A small wheel isn't very good for commuting since there'll be that one day you're pressed for time, and you'll then attempt to go 19 mph the whole way, with disastrous results.

Nice perspective and I generally agree. The Mten3 would not be my choice when I need to get from point A to point B fast. But if that path is a meandering one, then it would be great.

I'm pretty good at maintaining full awareness of my riding environment, so I haven't experienced any safety issues among my various wheels when it comes to navigating A to B. But a tiny, extremely nimble wheel, such as the Mten3 is just not comfortable going very fast.

• Like 1

Hey @Marty Backe  Glad you like your new wheel!  

I was planning to buy a KS 16s or maybe a 14d for my hilly 4 mile commute but now I'm wondering if one of these guys would be better. Would you recommend one of these over the KS wheels?  My only concern with the 16s is the weight, since I'll be taking it on a train every day.  I'm a bit concerned abut the 14d and the steep hils.  The MTen3 sounds awesome but I also worry about it carrying my 200+lbs up these hills and comfortably zipping me the 4 miles to the train station over mildly rough roads and trails. Another factor is that this would be my first wheel, tho I've ridden pedal power unicycles for years.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

• Like 1

I'm not Marty, but at 200+ lbs, I'd feel best on the 16S. The 14D or mten3 would work too, but the mten is too small for a real commute (see @LanghamP's post 3 above this) and the 14D... would most likely work , but for actual commuting and your weight, I'd go for a 16 incher and more motor power, just the more natural choice if you can spend the bigger amount of money (both 16S and 14D/S are really good wheels).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WeirdRider said:

Hey @Marty Backe  Glad you like your new wheel!  

I was planning to buy a KS 16s or maybe a 14d for my hilly 4 mile commute but now I'm wondering if one of these guys would be better. Would you recommend one of these over the KS wheels?  My only concern with the 16s is the weight, since I'll be taking it on a train every day.  I'm a bit concerned abut the 14d and the steep hils.  The MTen3 sounds awesome but I also worry about it carrying my 200+lbs up these hills and comfortably zipping me the 4 miles to the train station over mildly rough roads and trails. Another factor is that this would be my first wheel, tho I've ridden pedal power unicycles for years.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

I would not recommend the Mten3 as your first wheel. No!

Besides the above recommendation :), the Mten3 really isn't ideal for the conditions that you describe. I think the trolley handle of the 14D or 16S negates the weight, unless you will be carrying it up/down long stairs.

If you are taking it on the train then size matters. I think the KS14 would be perfect. I'm getting close to publishing my review of the 14S, and I'm rating it about as perfect as you can get (5 out 5 or 9 out of 10). I would opt for the KS14S instead of the D so that you get the extra range and safety margin that comes with the bigger battery. I've stress tested the 14S in the mountains on hills that no wheel should be ridden. It's a solid wheel.

Obviously the KS16S would be even better, but it's much bigger and heavier than the 14S.