Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

On 9/10/2017 at 2:07 PM, Marty Backe said:

This is what I got from the side of the tire:

• 10x3.00-6.5
  • Seyoun NJK
  • 2 Ply Rating/Tubeless
  • Max Load 70kg at 30 PSI Cold

Please be aware that the Mten3 has a tube. So this tire has been adapted for use on the Mten3. Seems to work great.

That's all that I have. I'm not a tire guy so don't ask me for interpretations on what any of this means relative to the Mten3. All I know is that it works great for me :D 

@radial yeah my 9bot is 2.125. and it’s a 14”. 3” on a ten inch wheel has got to be more comfortable. heck, my ks18s tire is only 2,5.

so, do u think the fat tire has anything to do with people enjoying the wheel. seems like fatter tires are on the horizon for all these wheels ie 9z.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

I rode the Mten3 right out of the box, and my first impression was that the tire was a bit squishy.  I checked the tire pressure tonight and it was around 30 psi.  After pumping it up to 45 psi I took a little ride and it felt much better to me.  I like a crisp response.  These things are so personal though.  My advice is to do your own experimentation with tire pressure.  And be open to the notion that your preferences might change as you develop more skill as a rider.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, radial said:

45 psi I took a little ride and it felt much better to me. 

Well, I’m noticing that the beast is most stable at its top speed at around 30psi, for quick agile responses I understand the 45, however for speed runs I’m more stable with less pressure...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Well, I’m noticing that the beast is most stable at its top speed at around 30psi, for quick agile responses I understand the 45, however for speed runs I’m more stable with less pressure...

I'm with you. 45psi was too twitchy for me. I prefer the lower 30's.

• Upvote 1

Slimed the tube on my Gotway Mten3 today.  Also swapped out the valve cap for one that monitors/displays tire pressure.  Connected to the Gotway app.  That was a bit of a shitshow, but it is what it is.  I can't wait for DarknessBot to support the Mten3.

• Like 1

The more I ride this thing, the better I like it!  I'm definitely trying it on my commute next week.  I love my V8, but there's nothing like being able to turn an effortless 360 around a circle the size of a manhole cover.  And this wheel is so small, I'm sure I can stow it in my gym locker at work, eliminating the bother of going through the scanners.  The other day, I had to go through the security turnstile three times before it allowed my V8 to pass.  Size counts, and in this case, the smaller the better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, radial said:

The more I ride this thing, the better I like it!  I'm definitely trying it on my commute next week.  I love my V8, but there's nothing like being able to turn an effortless 360 around a circle the size of a manhole cover.  And this wheel is so small, I'm sure I can stow it in my gym locker at work, eliminating the bother of going through the scanners.  The other day, I had to go through the security turnstile three times before it allowed my V8 to pass.  Size counts, and in this case, the smaller the better.

I agree!  The more I ride, the better it gets.  I think it's as good as it gets.  Small, powerful accelaration etc.  And yes, I think, if you know well your way, it can easily be used for comutting.  I've been using it and I may say it's even better than the bigger wheels.

I wonder if they'll be able to improve it next year (Mten4).  I just hope they don't sacrifice the size/weight.  

13 hours ago, radial said:

So, I commuted to work and back via the Mten3 today.  It was fine, but I probably won't do that again as long as I have other options.  The best thing about it was that the wheel fit nicely into my gym locker which is on this side of building perimeter security.  That meant I didn't have to lug it through the security turnstile.  The turnstile isn't very forgiving. It took me three tries the other day to get my V8 through the process.  

Also, the maneuverability of the Mten3 is truly incredible.  At stoplights, I was able to do the EUC version of a track stand, vs. having to cling to the nearest verticle object. 

But it turns out that there is a big difference between a 10" and a 16" wheel where negotiating surface irregularities is concerned.  I had to pay constant attention to the possibility of poorly made cutouts, upheaved sections of sidewalk, and sneaky potholes.  It was doable, but not enjoyable.  Back to the V8 as my commuter of choice.

Same experience here. It's not a commuter wheel imo. Big chance you faceplant if you miss some obstacle.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, radial said:

Lol, you gave those drivers something to look at!  

Sometimes I go up there during rush hour when the traffic is crawling. Free advertising to get more EUC ridership :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@Marty Backe

You are really great at video cutting and recording...looks so effortless, all those shots where you come up, then drive by, with different camera angles! Very good Job, i really know whats behind this!

Dont know if you have been in this recording/cutting thing before, but thats a lots of talent!!!

I make these videos for fun and to encourage people to buy Mten3's ;)

I've been making woodworking videos for years, so like anything in life, the more you do of something the better you get.

I appreciate your comments a lot - sometimes you don't know if people enjoy what you're producing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Another demonstration of the fun to be had with the Mten3

The light was perfect, great video.  I liked how you left the real speed fall as well as the slo mo.  Man, that spot you hit on the curb was pretty high and you were going fairly fast.

• Like 1