If you fell off EUC and got injured in the last few years, how are you all doing now?

Planetpapi

10 hours ago, mezzanine said:

Mono, your observation about bringing the proper mindset is exactly what I needed to hear.  I was a conservative motorcyclist and would be a conservative EUC user (other than maxing out on sweet sweet speed whenever appropriate).

Maxing out an EUC is never the good mindset to remain uninjured. Speed is what kills and EUCs become inherently less capable to handle street and other anomalies with higher speed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If you plan on riding on any uneven surfaces such as grass or off road, or on imperfect pavement,  I would venture to say that there is a 100% chance that you will be thrown off your wheel at some point.  

You will fall.

What do you want to contact the surface?

Edited by Pard

12 minutes ago, Pard said:

If you plan on riding on any uneven surfaces such as grass or off road, or on imperfect pavement,  I would venture to say that there is a 100% chance that you will be thrown off your wheel at some point.  

If you are striving for the limit, sure. 

I would like to see an off road race between an EUC and an e-Bike to figure out which is more capable and stable. Might be a tight competition.

Edited by caelus

12 minutes ago, caelus said:

If you are striving for the limit, sure. 

I would like to see an off road race between an EUC and an e-Bike to figure out which is more capable and stable. Might be a tight competition.

Ask, and thou shalt receive...

12 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I'm still happy for the gear I had. If for no other reason, the simple fact I felt no fear - neither when it happened, nor afterwards.

That could be well seen as a disadvantage of protection gear. Fear is a life saver from time to time, and meant to be. Overconfidence and complacency are most likely quite a relevant source of major injuries. Near misses are usually quite a good cure for these, but without fear they probably aren't.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

Ha! Ha!  I bet his friends knew that hole was there.

I sit typing this with ice on my wrist and elbow from a below 5mph fall onto blacktop trying to balance a two wheeled v3 on one wheel. 

No gear.  

DUMBASS.

And I preach ATGATT in this thread every time I post!  

7 hours ago, Mono said:

That could be well seen as a disadvantage of protection gear. Fear is a life saver from time to time, and meant to be. Overconfidence and complacency are most likely quite a relevant source of major injuries. Near misses are usually quite a good cure for these, but without fear they probably aren't.

Oh, believe me, I'm not bloody likely to ignore a overcharging beep anytime soon... :D

When I say I felt no fear, I mean I realise the fault was mine, not some arbitrary fault in the EUC. I may argue that it's a stupid thing our EUCs cut off when overcharged, that there's no system to handle the current when the batteries can take no more - but the fault was mine.

The cut out woke me up to the fact that the beep means: "step off NOW", not "you can probably continue down the road another 20 meters".

I'm actually a bit grateful that I got that kind of warning about where the limitations are, without having to recuperate because of sprains, bruises and/or broken bones. So the near miss worked in my case. It's just that in my case it's not about fear, it's about rationality. I've gone downhill after it happened, without any fears at all, since I new I had headroom left before any overcharge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Oh, believe me, I'm not bloody likely to ignore a overcharging beep anytime soon... :D

When I say I felt no fear, I mean I realise the fault was mine, not some arbitrary fault in the EUC. I may argue that it's a stupid thing our EUCs cut off when overcharged, that there's no system to handle the current when the batteries can take no more - but the fault was mine.

The cut out woke me up to the fact that the beep means: "step off NOW", not "you can probably continue down the road another 20 meters".

I'm actually a bit grateful that I got that kind of warning about where the limitations are, without having to recuperate because of sprains, bruises and/or broken bones. So the near miss worked in my case. It's just that in my case it's not about fear, it's about rationality. I've gone downhill after it happened, without any fears at all, since I new I had headroom left before any overcharge.

Agreed, rationality and respect of previous experiences helps a lot. But sometimes, in the heat of the moment, rationality goes out of the window, in particular if we feel safe anyways. Then fear may come to the rescue.

Who the f**k have put a voudou-curse thingie on me?

I've been riding for almost half a year without any real incidents, and now I fall two times in four days. This time it was heavy rain and a curb hidden in a puddle of water. I turned a corner and had a car coming up behind.

As it was dark and rainy I swerved into the parking space by the side of the street, forgetting there is a low curb between them. The curb is no more than a couple of inches, but my shallow angle and the rain made the thing slippery enough to make the EUC hesitate. So I continued turning while the EUC didn't.

Well, the extent of me hurting myself this time was a small patch of skin, a few millimeters in size from the outermost knuckle on my left index-finger, and a slightly sore left ankle since I managed to land awkwardly in the run-off. I fell and rolled imperfectly (more sideways than forward) but well enough, ending up on my back. The EUC came out of it with a very minor scratch less than 1/2" long.

So whomever has put the curse on me seems not to have gotten their moneys worth (touching wood)... :laughbounce2:

4 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Who the f**k have put a voudou-curse thingie on me?

I've been riding for almost half a year without any real incidents, and now I fall two times in four days. This time it was heavy rain and a curb hidden in a puddle of water. I turned a corner and had a car coming up behind.

As it was dark and rainy I swerved into the parking space by the side of the street, forgetting there is a low curb between them. The curb is no more than a couple of inches, but my shallow angle and the rain made the thing slippery enough to make the EUC hesitate. So I continued turning while the EUC didn't.

Well, the extent of me hurting myself this time was a small patch of skin, a few millimeters in size from the outermost knuckle on my left index-finger, and a slightly sore left ankle since I managed to land awkwardly in the run-off. I fell and rolled imperfectly (more sideways than forward) but well enough, ending up on my back. The EUC came out of it with a very minor scratch less than 1/2" long.

So whomever has put the curse on me seems not to have gotten their moneys worth (touching wood)... 

Falling sideways is worst.

Maybe the Wheel Gods are trying to tell you to be more careful :laughbounce2:

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Falling sideways is worst.

By making me fall stupidly like some noob? <_<

The idea of falling because of not seeing a 2" curb wouldn't even have figured in the kind of nightmares where you find out you're stark naked at work or something...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scatcat said:

The idea of falling because of not seeing a 2" curb wouldn't even have figured in the kind of nightmares where you find out you're stark naked at work or something...

But I suppose with the start of the autumn, that it is a very good reminder that you no longer can trust the grip on the road. Mud and puddles, leaves and wet gravel, there you have enough reasons to be more careful.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Scatcat said:
46 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's what they did to me when I startet feeling a little overconfident. But I hope I'm cured now. My left shoulder is still hurting since almost two months ago....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

That's what they did to me when I startet feeling a little overconfident. But I hope I'm cured now. My left shoulder is still hurting since almost two months ago....

Yeah.

The irony was that I was on my way to get my full face helmet... :D

I suppose I'm luckier in that nor my shoulder, nor any other part really hurts at all. Some muscles are a bit stiff, but that is the extent of two falls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

The point remains, overconfidence and complacency are your worst enemies...

• Upvote 2

On 9/15/2017 at 9:36 PM, Scatcat said:

Brilliant idea, now if only my name was @esaj and my competence were enough to implement this without getting a headache... :D 

There's a schematic there, just a matter of getting the parts & building the circuit ;)  Ok, slight modifications (changing some values) for the higher voltage is necessary. A friend with some electronics knowledge, local hacklab or similar could likely help you make one if you really want it, and the components aren't even expensive, the most expensive parts are the 100W LEDs, but even those aren't much if you order from Aliexpress/eBay/Amazon. "Gray market" 100W LEDs might be slightly off-spec/overrated by the power, but it's not like they have to burn for a long while at a time, so even if they're lower wattage they likely would still work for the intended purpose.

I did consider building one of the choppers, but never got around to it (have the parts though). Would be kinda hard to test, as I don't have a power supply that could go into high enough voltages. Anybody got an adjustable 100+V/few hundred watt 19" rack-mount PSU for sale? ;)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, esaj said:

There's a schematic there, just a matter of getting the parts & building the circuit ;)  Ok, slight modifications (changing some values) for the higher voltage is necessary. A friend with some electronics knowledge, local hacklab or similar could likely help you make one if you really want it, and the components aren't even expensive, the most expensive parts are the 100W LEDs, but even those aren't much if you order from Aliexpress/eBay/Amazon. "Gray market" 100W LEDs might be slightly off-spec/overrated by the power, but it's not like they have to burn for a long while at a time, so even if they're lower wattage they likely would still work for the intended purpose.

I did consider building one of the choppers, but never got around to it (have the parts though). Would be kinda hard to test, as I don't have a power supply that could go into high enough voltages. Anybody got an adjustable 100+V/few hundred watt 19" rack-mount PSU for sale? ;)

Building electronics from a schematic, the last time I did that was like 35 years ago :D

But jokes aside, I got a YZ-power charger recently, and it seems to be tuned to somewhere in the vicinity of 85V rather than 84V. I seem to remember you adjusting a charger voltage, was that an YZ-power or something else?