WARNING! Gotway ACM V2 / Monster PEDAL BREAKAGE Incident

houseofjob

31 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

No no Steve - the efforts to battle Avatarian species on Pandora would come at too great of a cost (ethically and financially) to mine Unobtanium for EUC pedal usage.  :o

Oh yeah, i forgot.  I must have read about the four sequels they are planning, that they are hoping will be like the Star Wars franchise.:facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/25/2017 at 5:35 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Is this the only known incidence of that happening with GW pedals?

Not any more!

One of the pedals broke off of my Monster today when I dropped off a standard 6" curb.  I ran it off with no injury.  My riding weight is 82 kg.  I got the Monster a month ago and have put 518 km of mostly paved bike paths on it.  There are no stress fractures or visible signs of distress on the other pedal.

On 2/25/2017 at 3:37 PM, steve454 said:

I wonder if the rider landed with soft knees or landed with locked knees?  I bet there would be very little chance of pedals breaking if you use the legs to absorb the shock.  

I've been riding for 1.5 years and have hopped countless curbs.  My knees were bent and I always try to land as softly as possible.

On 2/26/2017 at 1:01 AM, Radislav said:

Unless it has too much air bubbles inside :)

I think that might be the problem.  I'm not sure what kind of alloy this is, but it doesn't look very strong at all and there are numerous little air bubbles.

bp01.JPG

bp02.JPG

bp03.JPG

bp04.jpg

bp05.jpg

bp06.jpg

bp07.jpg

Lucky you did not hurt yourself!

That does not look like solid metal...

I'm wondering why we only hear about monsters, if the ACMs have the same pedals and there are a lot more ACMs. The strain on the pedals should be identical (rider) in both cases. Maybe a faulty pedal production batch that was (possibly) only used on monsters? 80kg really isn't much...

What's your wheel's date of production?

35 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm wondering why we only hear about monsters, if the ACMs have the same pedals and there are a lot more ACMs. The strain on the pedals should be identical (rider) in both cases. Maybe a faulty pedal production batch that was (possibly) only used on monsters? 80kg really isn't much...

What's your wheel's date of production?

The date on my Monster QC stamp is Jan. 12, 2017.  Maybe we haven't heard of more incidents because the pedal is fairly new?  The Monster is new, but I'm not sure how long they've been using that pedal on the ACM.  My ACM came with different pedals.

It looks like both pedals broke in the same exact way.

IMG_4647_large.JPG

IMG_8023.JPG

1 hour ago, captainwells said:

Not any more!

One of the pedals broke off of my Monster today when I dropped off a standard 6" curb.  I ran it off with no injury.  My riding weight is 82 kg.  I got the Monster a month ago and have put 518 km of mostly paved bike paths on it.  There are no stress fractures or visible signs of distress on the other pedal.

I've been riding for 1.5 years and have hopped countless curbs.  My knees were bent and I always try to land as softly as possible.

I think that might be the problem.  I'm not sure what kind of alloy this is, but it doesn't look very strong at all and there are numerous little air bubbles.

bp01.JPG

bp02.JPG

bp03.JPG

bp04.jpg

bp05.jpg

bp06.jpg

bp07.jpg

Wow. First it's the motor wiring that we had to worry about, and now it's breaking pedals. I guess that there's always going to be something with Gotway's.

I'm not a metallurgist, but that looks poor quality for sure. Thanks for all the high quality pictures.

Hopefully this is like the wiring in that only a small percentage of the pedals were made on a Monday :(  This reinforces my choice to not jump curbs

Hope you can get some new pedals soon.

13 minutes ago, captainwells said:

The date on my Monster QC stamp is Jan. 12, 2017.  Maybe we haven't heard of more incidents because the pedal is fairly new?  The Monster is new, but I'm not sure how long they've been using that pedal on the ACM.  My ACM came with different pedals.

It looks like both pedals broke in the same exact way.

IMG_4647_large.JPG

IMG_8023.JPG

My original ACM from August 2016 had the old style too, but I replaced them when the news ones came out, in October.  So I think there's a lot of these pedals in use out there.

Let's not forget that occasionally, even the metalwork in aeroplanes stresses / fatigues / breaks sometimes, and their QC procedures are the best in the world. Sometimes, a flawed bit of metal rolls off the production line, and because (presumably) nobody in this industry is looking for microfractures or density inconsistencies at a microscopic scale, then the odd duff one will be bound to make it through. I agree that if this was a real risk, we would be seeing a lot more accidents and reports caused by it than we're currently getting. 

CBR

Gotway has to move away from these magnesium / aluminum alloy pedals (if that's what they are) and go with a strong tool grade or mountain bike pedal / crank alloy.     Gotway is likely giving a pedal design file to some metal casting company to supply them with their pedals.  If they are not returning quality product with the correct metallurgic composition or technical fabrication (ie. cutting corners by using a weaker blend of alloys) or if they simply have a weak design we will keep seeing these types of failures.  You just dont want to be 20 miles up a mountain if it happens.

You don't hear about BMX bikers breaking off their pedals after doing a flip in the air and landing down hard unless they are the plastic or thin metal type of pedals.  Those seven thin reinforcement fins you see in the photos and thin bottom metal areas added to the poor casting quality are bound for failure.  These wheels are already over 40 pounds.  Using brittle aluminum / magnesium pedals for a few grams of weight savings just isn't worth the problems of breakage.  I'd rather see bending of the metal rather than complete failure.  With support fins underneath even bending should be preventable.

<dismounts rant platform>

16 hours ago, captainwells said:

The date on my Monster QC stamp is Jan. 12, 2017.

That was a Thursday, at least the assembly of the wheel itself was done on a likely fully manned production line.  Monday and Friday are the worst days to have a car built from what I read in that Alex Haley novel about the auto manufacturing business.

A monster without feet sounds a little like David against Goliath... :o

I know a company that had the same problem with their longboard axis - magnesium / aluminum having air bubbles. They changed the design several times until a save ride was possible. I broke 4 axis - no fun on a board that runs 38km/h...

Very bad casting defect. 

I would recommend riders inspect their pedals carefully every ride. I would suspect you get a smal crack first and hopefully you can find it before starting to ride. 

I think this pedal ribbing is not thick enough to tolerate casting problems. 

They should double or triple the run thickness and that should make it failure proof. 

27 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

This is really bad new for Gotway, they gotta step up their QC... I am defiantly holding off on my Msuper V3S+ purchase :(

I don't think we know of any MSuper pedals breaking. So far it's only been the ACM/Monster pedals.

2 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

This is really bad new for Gotway, they gotta step up their QC... I am defiantly holding off on my Msuper V3S+ purchase :(

I agree, I cancelled my ACM order, Im going to wait until they improve their act. All this is disappointing.

On 3/12/2017 at 11:19 PM, Marty Backe said:

My original ACM from August 2016 had the old style too, but I replaced them when the news ones came out, in October.  So I think there's a lot of these pedals in use out there.

This was also a problem on the original pedal design.I bought @Marty Backe's original ACM with the old style pedals on it back in Sept.'16 and after a week of riding it and jumping off curbs it had a stress crack underneath one of the pedals.Fortunately I discovered it before a complete failure and welded it.Then I went to Shenzhen the following week I bought a pair of the current design pedals from @Linnea Lin Gotway when I visited her at the Gotway facility. So far the new ones are holding up good but I think if I need to jump any curbs any time soon I'll just get on one of the KingSongs which have jumped hundreds of curbs without incident.;)

After seeing this pictures I'll move back to the red rubber pedals on our ACM. This kind of EUCs will fail the stress test of PLEV very early. So hopefully this will give us much more quality and well designed parts and products in the future. The today's assembly companies are not on the level to be called manufacturer. Far a way from engineering a product.

Archived