WARNING! Gotway ACM V2 / Monster PEDAL BREAKAGE Incident

houseofjob

Re-posting a SpeedFeetUK customer incident of Gotway ACM V2 / Monster pedal breakage:

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/blogs/things-concerning-safety/gotway-acm-footplates-safety-check

Gotway ACM Footplates Safety Check

by Ian Sampson February 25, 2017

Failure of Gotway ACM Footplate

A customer has reported the failure of one of their footplates. The style of footplate is the latest version of the ACM footplate. The model it was fitted to was the Monster 22" purchased late 2016. As always, Speedy Feet will announce any issues reported by customers to keep us all as safe as possible! 

SHARE this post to all those that it may apply to those it may effect (Button Below)

We would recommend ALL riders check their footplates for signs of stress. (Simple scuffing and usual knocks are not part of this potential issue).

Conditions of incident:

Rider has done around 200 miles on the unit.

Simply dropped off a standard size curb, has never done any stunts on the Monster (pretty difficult due to size of the monster!).

Only ever used on road in the short distance it had traveled.

Rider weight approx 100kg.

THINGS TO LOOK FOR WOULD BE:

1. Stress Fractures (These would be actual cracks or signs of stretching of the metal, usually around points of stress, i.e. the hinge area).

2. Actual breakage / or splitting.

Pictures of the broken footplate

IMG_4648_large.JPG?v=1488013928

IMG_4647_large.JPG?v=1488013912

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is this the only known incidence of that happening with GW pedals?

Yip! first ...

KS16 pedal from early versions also had some breakage...but thats now fixed

BTW: Was it Gotway or GO-A-WAY? :-)

one of the last qualityproblems that was still missing....don't we have all  faults that are possible now?

:-)

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

<snip>

one of the last quality problems that was still missing....don't we have all  faults that are possible now?

:-)

Well, we still haven't had a catastrophic wheel (spokes, etc) failure. So there's that to look forward to :ph34r:

1 hour ago, One said:

Looks like they are made of magnesium - same material used in skateboard axes. Had some of them broken and it looked similar. No fun, even at lower speed... 

probably an aluminium-magnesium alloy, no?

2 hours ago, Radislav said:

120 kg max static load? 100 kg rider jumping off a curb exceeded this load significantly.

I wonder if the rider landed with soft knees or landed with locked knees?  I bet there would be very little chance of pedals breaking if you use the legs to absorb the shock.  

42 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I wonder if the rider landed with soft knees or landed with locked knees?  I bet there would be very little chance of pedals breaking if you use the legs to absorb the shock.  

which shouldn't be understood as passing the responsibility though

1 minute ago, Mono said:

which shouldn't be understood as passing the responsibility though

Yes, I agree, the pedals should be much stronger and be able to take shock loads much higher than the rated load, just like wire rope used in cranes.  The load test should be many times higher than the rated strength to ensure safety.

4 hours ago, Mono said:

probably an aluminium-magnesium alloy, no?

From Wikipedia, alloys are strong.  Maybe they didn't use enough aluminum for strength.  Sounds like a magnesium- aluminum alloy which is what you meant to say, unless I am wrong.:facepalm:

7 hours ago, steve454 said:

From Wikipedia, alloys are strong.  Maybe they didn't use enough aluminum for strength.  Sounds like a magnesium- aluminum alloy which is what you meant to say, unless I am wrong.:facepalm:

Unless it has too much air bubbles inside :) 

No official complaints to them, I suspect. No official free pedals exchange program will be issued. All the manuals are full of warnings not to do any acrobatics and jumps. Nevertheless, Kingsong improved their pedals. Silently GW will do the same, imo.

Pedals and pedal arms (attach to axle) take quite a beating hauling (some of our) lard asses around, never mind jumping off kerbs, walls, being thrown down the road, etc.  I'm going to Give Gottproblems the benefit of the doubt and assume this is either a one off, or this pedal sustained a hard impact that the rider might not have been aware of.  after all, when they're bouncing down the street, and we're tumbling through the air, we aren't really in a position to monitor each individual impact the machine has to endure. And with the Monster' higher weight, any tumbling impact sustained by a pedal, has all that extra weight behind it. 

I Would agree that a few visual inspections aren't out of order; in fact I'm going to inspect my SingSong pedals now.  Pedals are pedals.

when more of these show up, I'll reconsider my opinion. Gottproblems may have a few.....eh...problems, but this is not one of them, yet, unless there are other pedal breaks out there we haven't heard about.

I wonder whether a redesign of the pedal might be in order.  If the hinge attachment were made of steel and the pedal bolted onto it I wonder if that would eliminate these sorts of failures completely.  In addition that would benefit riders who want to swap out pedal sizes easily. It's basically a hinge that has to resist a small arm lever with significant force applied to it.

Is it just for weight savings that aluminum alloy and magnesium alloy pedals are being used?  Regular bicycle cranks and pedals don't normally break off even with rugged use (eg.  mountain biking).  Why not use a similar alloy? I think it might be a chrome moly steel which some tools are made of.  It's super strong and doesn't tend to break as long as it's a proper thickness.

Archived